Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,254
    @dino001‌

I haven't given up on Mercedes YET!  I got a call from my dealership this morning - my new E400 was produced on 11/14/14 and is currently at the port awaiting assignment to a ship.  They checked the build and everything that is supposed to be on the car is on the car.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    that is good news. Hopefully not too long to get on a ship, then just a couple of weeks. so 2nd week of December looks reasonable after all.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:
    that is good news. Hopefully not too long to get on a ship, then just a couple of weeks. so 2nd week of December looks reasonable after all.
    I think you are correct.  2 or 3 days to load on a ship, 6 days for the crossing to the port of Brunswick, GA, 2 or 3 days to unload and have the port added options put on (spoiler, AMG Wheels, wheel locks) and another 2 or 3 days to get on a truck to the dealership.

2021 Genesis G90

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited November 2014
    abacomike said:

I think you are correct.  2 or 3 days to load on a ship, 6 days for the crossing to the port of Brunswick, GA, 2 or 3 days to unload and have the port added options put on (spoiler, AMG Wheels, wheel locks) and another 2 or 3 days to get on a truck to the dealership.

Be a little more conservative on the crossing. That ship may stop in Southampton, England to pick up more cars and then in Nova Scotia, RI, NY/NJ or Charleston to off load before getting to Brunswick. It all depends on what is in the load.

I don't want to see you get worked up if your estimate doesn't work out.

@robr2‌

The ships that load for Brunswick, GA, have no other stops.  Ships are all "port specific".  They don't set sail until fully loaded.  From Brunswick, cars are trucked throughout the Souteastern US (FL, GA, SC, NC, AL, TN).  From what I remember when I was in the business, the larger ships carry several thousand cars each on multi levels.

The dealership told me it takes 3 weeks from the date a car is manufactured to reach the dealership.  The first car they built for me without the Lane Tracking Pkg took 2 weeks from manufacture date to reach Brunswick.  The 2015 models were held at the port for several weeks due to a late release date - otherwise they take 2-3 days for port added options and another 2-3 days for truck assignment and transport to the dealership.

2021 Genesis G90

Well, that cold front you northerners were talking about has finally arrived here in south Florida.  It was 78 degrees this morning and the temps have been dropping all day - 64 degrees now and headed for the upper 50's tonight - brrrr!

2021 Genesis G90

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

I've owned 4 V8s if you count my old Ford truck.

Smoothest engine I ever had is in that red car pictured above. Like butter.

Forgot the V8 in my Tahoe. That was a good motor, too. Sequential fuel injected. Torquey. Thirsty though. I attribute some of that thirst to the weight of the Tahoe, though.

I used to hear people say that when they got into the throttle of their cars they could see the gas gauge drop. I thought they were exaggerating until I saw it happen in my Tahoe when I floored it. Literally, the gas gauge needle dropped before my very eyes.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited November 2014
    abacomike said:

Well, that cold front you northerners were talking about has finally arrived here in south Florida.  It was 78 degrees this morning and the temps have been dropping all day - 64 degrees now and headed for the upper 50's tonight - brrrr!

I feel so sorry for you all down there sweating. Cincy recorded the coldest low for today since 1880's when we tied the record. So much for global warming. Hah. Low this morning here was 6.5 deg F on my storage barn ledge.

Take good care of the orange crop for us.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

If we got up to the upper 50s I would be out on the driveway in a t shirt washing cars. Freezing here today, and very windy too making it worse.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Forgot the V8 in my Tahoe. That was a good motor, too. Sequential fuel injected. Torquey. Thirsty though. I attribute some of that thirst to the weight of the Tahoe, though.

I used to hear people say that when they got into the throttle of their cars they could see the gas gauge drop. I thought they were exaggerating until I saw it happen in my Tahoe when I floored it. Literally, the gas gauge needle dropped before my very eyes.

Usually that was caused by the gasoline moving to the back of the tank under the force of the acceleration. But I'll tell you one even stranger. Back when I was in high school, my mother had a big Oldsmobile, a 1968 model year if I recall correctly. Had that humongous 455 CID V8 engine with a huge quadrajet 4 barrel carburetor. When you floored that sucker, you could actually see the center of the hood bend inwards slightly...
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    edited November 2014

abacomike said:

I feel so sorry for you all down there sweating. Cincy recorded the coldest low for today since 1880's when we tied the record. So much for global warming. Hah. Low this morning here was 6.5 deg F on my storage barn ledge.

Take good care of the orange crop for us.
    I know it was cold, but it sure was pretty yesterday. I was driving around Eden Park yesterday. Absolutely beautiful winter scene.
    @imidazol97‌

As far as winter scenes go, Currier and Ives paintings are as close as I want to get to winter scenery!!!

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

@robr2‌

The ships that load for Brunswick, GA, have no other stops.  Ships are all "port specific".  They don't set sail until fully loaded.  From Brunswick, cars are trucked throughout the Souteastern US (FL, GA, SC, NC, AL, TN).  From what I remember when I was in the business, the larger ships carry several thousand cars each on multi levels.

The dealership told me it takes 3 weeks from the date a car is manufactured to reach the dealership.  The first car they built for me without the Lane Tracking Pkg took 2 weeks from manufacture date to reach Brunswick.  The 2015 models were held at the port for several weeks due to a late release date - otherwise they take 2-3 days for port added options and another 2-3 days for truck assignment and transport to the dealership.

The impression I've gotten from others is that the ships may stop at other ports along the way.

I was just trying to preempt the disappointment you could be in for should it not all goes per your plan.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    robr2 said:

abacomike said:

@robr2‌

The impression I've gotten from others is that the ships may stop at other ports along the way.

I was just trying to preempt the disappointment you could be in for should it not all goes per your plan.
    Just to give some perspective............In our book business we imported books from Britain. They could be shipped from the supplier in Englan, go to the port, cross the ocean on a freighter, land in Halifax Nova Scotia, go by rail to our warehouse near Toronto, be loaded onto a truck, and reach us within 5 days!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

btw..your Eclipse looks like a brand new car. It is very striking looking.....looks great!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

I know it was cold, but it sure was pretty yesterday. I was driving around Eden Park yesterday. Absolutely beautiful winter scene.

I love the skeletons of the trees with white snow on top of the branches and the black naked bark showing on the underside. Sort of like black and white in the Michael Jackson video.

Were the Mt Adams streets icy on Monday?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I checked with my Audi expert, and he says he is unaware of any common factory defect with Audi clutches---which he says are generally rather long-lived.

I have to say, though, that he also asked the question: "Is there a teenager in the house? That's usually the problem".

Without really good evidence, it's hard to get a clutch warrantied. It's always been tough for people to accomplish this.

The problem is that to get the evidence, the car needs to be torn apart, and this puts Audi in a very strong position---by saying "Nope, the clutch wasn't defective..what would you like to do next?" while pointing to your car in a hundred pieces.

Your only move there is to hire a mechanic to come look at the parts---and THEN you run into "The Code of Silence" among the Brotherhood.

It's a hassle no matter how you cut it. I feel you have something coming but I can't think of an easy way for you to get it.

I thought about the teenager question too........that could be our grandson. Our daughter uses the Audi when we aren't around. Our grandson is 22 and is pretty trustworthy. I have to say, there is a slim possibility that he could have taken the car out, though he is pretty responsible and I can't imagine that would happen. But, since there is a tiny possibility that could have happened, I would be willing to pay 50% for the repair....I think there is a 99% chance it was a faulty part.

The dealer said the clutch was burned out before they looked at it....it seems you can't diagnose it unless you take it apart. My point, and I am not technically inclined, is that if the clutch is burned out - which I am sure it is - that doesn't really tell us who's fault it was. Still could be caused by a faulty part. If it was a spring or a part, that could have been replaced or tightenned up.

My only way out is to take it to arbitration, and hope common sense prevails.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    abacomike said:

@robr2‌

The ships that load for Brunswick, GA, have no other stops.  Ships are all "port specific".  They don't set sail until fully loaded.  From Brunswick, cars are trucked throughout the Souteastern US (FL, GA, SC, NC, AL, TN).  From what I remember when I was in the business, the larger ships carry several thousand cars each on multi levels..

Last winter, one of those big carriers bound for here hit an Atlantic storm mid-crossing and a bunch of BMWs on board broke loose. I gather a bunch of cars were damaged and wasn't a pretty sight. Apparently it is quite rare for that to occur. Not sure what was done wrong.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

I got a call from Audi Canada this morning.

Joe started off telling me unfortunately the repair would not be covered by Audi Canada because a clutch is warranteed for 1 year or 12000 miles.

I thought, that makes their situation even worse. The car has 10K miles, but is 2 years old, so doesn't qualify. Does that mean that a clutch could just naturally wear out over that extra 12 months?

I went on to explain how the car was not abused. I did say I have the parts but they may not tell us much, whether it was wear and tear or a fault with the car it won't really tell us who is at fault. Burned out parts are burned out parts. I said their one year warranty on a clutch is convenient for them, but doesn't take into account it could be a manufaturing defect.

I told him there is a 2% chance we broke the part, so I would pay half (I know that is generous but it is worth it to me to get this overwith, and using the Driver Method of Racionalizing) it will be like paying an extra $500 a year for having an Audi) $1000 plus tax. If that's not acceptable I'll go to CAMVAP where I could win the total amount or even make them buy the car back. I told him I had nothing to lose by going that route, but, a lot to gain.

He said he wouldn't close my file, he will take it higher up, and someone will report back to me.

Driver, it would appear that you need a couple of "paddles" to assist you in directing that boat of yours from "up the creek" to "down the creek!" Even I would give up at this point if the guy from Audi does not get back to you with an answer that is acceptable. Getting on with life, at this point, is much more important than stewing over a clutch that you have already replaced.

I would guess that in a couple of years, you will be faced with the same exact problem - a burned out clutch - because if it happened this time, it will happen again - kind of a "Murphy's Law" approach to stress.

If you are that upset with Audi, and your wife would drive an automatic with paddle shifters, when you get home for the holidays, drop by Mercedes and get her a C300 4MATIC Sedan. It will serve her well and I am sure you can get a great deal on a second car within weeks of your first car - I would offer them invoice and see if they bite. As long as they give you book value or better on your Audi.

If I were you, I would never buy another Audi - After your experiences, I sure won't buy one.
    I don't think I would get another Audi at this point. I think we have to assume we can get another year or two out of the car hopefully without a problem, we only put 5 or 6K miles a year on it. Then I would trade it, hopefully for a C Class. My E400 is a solid built car, it seems to be a lot stronger than the Audi. Though that is part of the charm of the Audi, it isn't over built, it is not as refined, makes driving it feel like you are part of it, you aren't as isolated.

I am OK with paying the $1600 repair bill if it comes to that, but, I don't like to be taken advantage of. I'll fight, I've taken on big companies and I haven't completely ever lost, and in the case of Bell I got all my money back.

I'll make them sorry they messed with me. I'm a very fair person, and I expect to be treated fairly.

It's hard to say never buy again. We had a Volvo that had a problem Volvo had trouble fixing. I have had a rental Volvo and I liked it. It would be hard for us to buy one again, but, I would consider it. So, never say never....unlikely yes!

@robr2‌

I appreciate your input and the rationale for that input.  To be quite frank, I am not overly anxious to get the new car.  Thankfully, the dealership returned my CLS550 and my title so I am quite at ease. 

If if it takes 3, 4 or 5 weeks for the car to get here makes no difference to me - honestly.  Just the fact that I now know that the car was produced correctly with all the appropriate standard and optional features.

My 1st car is still listed in inventory by my dealer so I am assuming they have received the go ahead from MBUSA to sell the car with an addendum.

Thanks for you input, Robr.

2021 Genesis G90

@ab348‌

I've heard stories like the one you related about cars breaking loose during rough seas.  If damage is done in shipping, it is usually, not always, due to the transport trucks from the port to the dealership.  If there is less than $750 in damage, it can be repaired but does not have to be disclosed to the buyer.  $750+ must be disclosed, by law.  I had experiences with disclosure statements having to be signed prior to sale.  I usually had to sell those cars at dead invoice or even below with the manufacturer reimbursing the dealership for any losses incurred.

It really amazes me how they can truck cars to the port, load them on a ship, ship them across the ocean, unload them at the port, and again truck them to the dealership and have not a scratch on them.  They wrap these cars in styrofoam and cushioned plastics for ocean transport.  I have seen many Lexus vehicles shipped on covered transports.  

2021 Genesis G90

driver100 said:

Just to give some perspective............In our book business we imported books from Britain. They could be shipped from the supplier in Englan, go to the port, cross the ocean on a freighter, land in Halifax Nova Scotia, go by rail to our warehouse near Toronto, be loaded onto a truck, and reach us within 5 days!

From UK supplier to Toronto via ocean in 5 days? That is very surprising. I barely get economy airfreight from the UK in 5 days these days.

When I was shipping from Boston to England 25 years ago, it was a 6 week trip from dock to dock.

When I was bringing in containers of product from Austria less than 5 years ago, it was taking 4-5 weeks the shipments to reach Boston. 700 miles overland to Bremerhaven, 2-3 days sitting around the port, 10-15 days on the water, 2-3 days sitting around Elizabeth and 1 day travel from New Jersey.

Today, container ships are travelling at about 12-15 knots to save on fuel. A ship can cross the Atlantic in 5-6 days at 20 knots.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2014
    abacomike said:

@ab348‌

If there is less than $750 in damage, it can be repaired but does not have to be disclosed to the buyer.  $750+ must be disclosed, by law.

My understanding is that the amount varies by state law (and manufacturers also have their own cut-offs). The most famous example is the BMW one where a big punitive damages award in Alabama was overturned. My memory is foggy but iirc, the law in Ohio was that any repair under $6,000 did not have to be disclosed. $750 seems like a much more reasonable amount.

We won't mention the Cougar Ace full of Mazdas. B)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    RE: Arbitration---read the arbitration clause carefully to see if it's binding or not. If it is, there' really no further recourse--even the courts will rarely reverse a binding arbitration.

If they take the clutch apart, and it falls in pieces on the ground, (let's say the pressure plate internals) that gives you a much better case; otherwise, it's "he said she said".

I thought it was kind of interesting that the Audi expert listened carefully to what I was asking, and I gave him the year, model, and the symptoms and the first thing out of his mouth was "teenager?"

I guess he's replaced a lot of clutches in the last 30 years.

driver100 said:

I checked with my Audi expert, and he says he is unaware of any common factory defect with Audi clutches---which he says are generally rather long-lived.

I have to say, though, that he also asked the question: "Is there a teenager in the house? That's usually the problem".

Without really good evidence, it's hard to get a clutch warrantied. It's always been tough for people to accomplish this.

The problem is that to get the evidence, the car needs to be torn apart, and this puts Audi in a very strong position---by saying "Nope, the clutch wasn't defective..what would you like to do next?" while pointing to your car in a hundred pieces.

Your only move there is to hire a mechanic to come look at the parts---and THEN you run into "The Code of Silence" among the Brotherhood.

It's a hassle no matter how you cut it. I feel you have something coming but I can't think of an easy way for you to get it.

I thought about the teenager question too........that could be our grandson. Our daughter uses the Audi when we aren't around. Our grandson is 22 and is pretty trustworthy. I have to say, there is a slim possibility that he could have taken the car out, though he is pretty responsible and I can't imagine that would happen. But, since there is a tiny possibility that could have happened, I would be willing to pay 50% for the repair....I think there is a 99% chance it was a faulty part.

The dealer said the clutch was burned out before they looked at it....it seems you can't diagnose it unless you take it apart. My point, and I am not technically inclined, is that if the clutch is burned out - which I am sure it is - that doesn't really tell us who's fault it was. Still could be caused by a faulty part. If it was a spring or a part, that could have been replaced or tightenned up.

speaking of shipping issues, when I was shopping the Hyundai, I wandered the back lot where they keep the bulk of the inventory (Hyundai and GMC/Buick). Basically a huge graveled lot. at one end, they have a small garage/lean-to building which is their prep shop basically. There was at least one car still in wrapping getting paint work done, and another car getting the back bumper sprayed. Plus a constant stream of dent and scratch work. And these were new cars, not used.

I recall when we got our Odyssey (and they were still rare/hot for the new model, so not a lot of options) we say it fresh off the truck, and there was a pretty good scratch on the door. By the time we picked it up, I couldn't even tell where it used to be.

RE: Arbitration---read the arbitration clause carefully to see if it's binding or not. If it is, there' really no further recourse--even the courts will rarely reverse a binding arbitration.

If they take the clutch apart, and it falls in pieces on the ground, (let's say the pressure plate internals) that gives you a much better case; otherwise, it's "he said she said".

I thought it was kind of interesting that the Audi expert listened carefully to what I was asking, and I gave him the year, model, and the symptoms and the first thing out of his mouth was "teenager?"

I guess he's replaced a lot of clutches in the last 30 years.

driver100 said:

If a clutch goes that quickly my guess would be teenager too. That or a person who is losing it and forgets to remove their foot from the clutch.

Those senarios seem highly unlikely, so I would deduce it has to be the clutch itself. I don't think examining it will give a true picture. If a spring was broken or a part didn't retract that may not show up with an inspection. The service department may have oiled a part or readjusted something. I think the parts are almost meaningless.

Yes, arbitration is final. That's not a problem. I have paid $1650, if I get anything back it is a bonus and confirms my thoughts.....it isn't a shut case, and common sense should be factored in. Besides, I sometimes think it would be interesting to be a lawyer.....so I can see how I do.

stickguy said:

speaking of shipping issues, when I was shopping the Hyundai, I wandered the back lot where they keep the bulk of the inventory (Hyundai and GMC/Buick). Basically a huge graveled lot. at one end, they have a small garage/lean-to building which is their prep shop basically. There was at least one car still in wrapping getting paint work done, and another car getting the back bumper sprayed. Plus a constant stream of dent and scratch work. And these were new cars, not used.

I recall when we got our Odyssey (and they were still rare/hot for the new model, so not a lot of options) we say it fresh off the truck, and there was a pretty good scratch on the door. By the time we picked it up, I couldn't even tell where it used to be.

I see a lot of cars now are pretty wrapped up with styrofoam in strategic places. It seems it would be worth the extra cost to insure those problems don't happen.

btw....how is the new Sonata? Did you find any new things that it does?

it looks nice sitting in the driveway. haven't driven it in a few days (I think Saturday is the last time it moved). I do like the heated steering wheel. that is cool.

It does have a bunch of presets. Must be about 20 at least set on XM. That is nice.

I even used the voice commands to make a phone call, And to change to another station.

Next up is to actually use the navigation system. I have it running split screen but have not actually asked it to get me anywhere.

edited November 2014
    I just did some research on "Car Carrying Ships" that cross both oceans.  Most are fast movers averaging 20-22 knots.  They show photos of how tightly they pack those cars in on each of 4-6 decks.

So it would seem that 5-6 days to cross the Atlantic Ocean is pretty close to what my dealer told me.  It then takes 2-3 days to unload a ship at port.

The facility in Brunswick for Mercedes is huge with a capacity to hold many thousands of new vehicles, according to the manager who visited the facility last year.  They go through a series of buildings for inspections, port added options, proper tire pressures, unwrapping of sea shipping wraps, etc.

I visited the Lexus facility in Jacksonville many years ago and it was very impressive and educational.

2021 Genesis G90

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    abacomike said:

@dino001‌

I haven't given up on Mercedes YET!  I got a call from my dealership this morning - my new E400 was produced on 11/14/14 and is currently at the port awaiting assignment to a ship.  They checked the build and everything that is supposed to be on the car is on the car.

Great to hear it. Hopefully you get your Xmas gift just in time.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    robr2 said:

From UK supplier to Toronto via ocean in 5 days? That is very surprising.

Well, now I don't have to be the bad guy.

I was wondering about exactly the same thing.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited November 2014
    @dino001‌

Who knows, Dino?  We shall see - in no hurry at the moment - kinda worn out over the whole thing and the lack of concern Mercedes has shown!

2021 Genesis G90

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

I've owned 4 V8s if you count my old Ford truck.

Smoothest engine I ever had is in that red car pictured above. Like butter.

Guy at work has a bored out 390 in a 65 Thunderbird. Pretty fast for an old car but when he floored it I think the gas gauge dropped by 1/4. 10 mpg on a good day.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

robr2 said:

Our first shipper took 2 or 3 weeks (sometimes more because they would combine our loads to bring the cost down) to ship from UK to our location in Canada. We found a shipper that could do it in 5 working days if all went well, and the cost was about 60 to 75% less. We didn't have to combine shipments anymore, the new guys charged by weight, so we could ship one order no matter how small immediately.

When the original shipper found out how much we were paying...they found out when we stopped using them.......they told me those prices were impossible, we'll be coming back to them. When they saw that wouldn't happen they said they would match their price. I said I would consider it if they gave me back the $50000 a year for 10 years we had overpaid them.

We used the new guys for 5 years until we sold the business, and they were excellent

You sound like you don't believe me...but, I have no reason to make that up. The company is called ICECORP shipping.

Link to ICECORP

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    ab348 said:

abacomike said:

@robr2‌

The ships that load for Brunswick, GA, have no other stops.  Ships are all "port specific".  They don't set sail until fully loaded.  From Brunswick, cars are trucked throughout the Souteastern US (FL, GA, SC, NC, AL, TN).  From what I remember when I was in the business, the larger ships carry several thousand cars each on multi levels..

Last winter, one of those big carriers bound for here hit an Atlantic storm mid-crossing and a bunch of BMWs on board broke loose. I gather a bunch of cars were damaged and wasn't a pretty sight. Apparently it is quite rare for that to occur. Not sure what was done wrong.

They probably gave them to the dealer that sold one of our posters the hail damaged car.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Kia has one of their major distribution points in Philly (I assume they bring the ships in there, though I didn't think the river was deep enough). But in any case, the facility is right next to the Walt Whitman bridge, so when you are going into the city, you look right down into it. A huge sea of cars parked nose to tail. Must take some incredible logistics to line them up correctly to get at what you need!

Just got my survey on the Sonata via Email. Pretty quick this time (just over a week). pretty comprehensive.

One question I liked was "did anyone at the dealership influence you on how to score the survey". Sneaky.

1-10 scale. really seems silly that anything but 10s anywhere screws the salesman. That is a lot of questions, and few people really toss around 10s normally! I did, but they actually deserved them.

driver100 said:

robr2 said:

Our first shipper took 2 or 3 weeks (sometimes more because they would combine our loads to bring the cost down) to ship from UK to our location in Canada. We found a shipper that could do it in 5 working days if all went well, and the cost was about 60 to 75% less. We didn't have to combine shipments anymore, the new guys charged by weight, so we could ship one order no matter how small immediately.
    driver - I still don't see how it could be ocean freight. It must have been some sort of air freight. First since you shipped less than container, your shipments would have to be consolidated with other products going to the same port into a container. That could take days. Then the container would have to wait for a ship going to Canada - they aren't like busses that leave every 15 minutes. The trip across the ocean from Southampton to Dartmouth is 6 days by itself and just about 7 to Gananoque. Then a day to unload and break down the container. Another day for customs clearance. Lastly, the truck shipment would be 1-2 days depending on the port.

I could see a company like ICECORP being able to offer good prices on air freight if they were committing to shipping igloos every day with an airline. I used to deal with a company that shipped 3 of those every Friday via Lufthansa from Germany to Arizona. They would get them the following Wednesday.

BTW - this is an airfreight igloo:

I get my products from the UK by airfreight and it takes about 5 business days via TNT. They are half the price of FedEx and UPS and only take an extra day.
    stickguy said:
    Just got my survey on the Sonata via Email. Pretty quick this time (just over a week). pretty comprehensive. One question I liked was "did anyone at the dealership influence you on how to score the survey". Sneaky. 1-10 scale. really seems silly that anything but 10s anywhere screws the salesman. That is a lot of questions, and few people really toss around 10s normally! I did, but they actually deserved them.
    Good for you Stick!  You did the right thing!

2021 Genesis G90

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @stickguy‌

I gave my Subaru dealer all 10s too. They did deserve the perfect survey. I really couldn't have asked for a better buying experience.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

stickguy said:

Kia has one of their major distribution points in Philly (I assume they bring the ships in there, though I didn't think the river was deep enough). But in any case, the facility is right next to the Walt Whitman bridge, so when you are going into the city, you look right down into it. A huge sea of cars parked nose to tail. Must take some incredible logistics to line them up correctly to get at what you need!

How do you get a job driving those cars into their spots...that would be fun!

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Ignorance is bliss.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    @driver100‌

I don't think so, driver.  It sure would get monotonous, don't you think.  

When end I visited the Lexus facility, one thing was very interesting - there were several gangways that allowed drivers to offload cars from different locations.  What the would do is drive the cars into these huge circles, bumper to bumper and close to each other.  When the dock was full and they had unloaded all the cars from that part of the ship, they would begin driving the cars to dedicated parking spaces which were numbered, starting with the last car off the ship making the first car off the ship the last car moved to a parking space.  Then, one by one, they would bring the cars indoors where they were unwrapped, tire pressures reduced (they were shipped with 60 psi in each tire to prevent flat spots from forming), and inspected.  They were then assigned to trucks for transport.

Very complicated yet very organized.  The entire ship was offloaded which meant several thousand cars ending up in this huge parking lot that was acres and acres.

2021 Genesis G90

Ignorance is bliss.
    That is funny!!!!

2021 Genesis G90

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver - I still don't see how it could be ocean freight. It must have been some sort of air freight. First since you shipped less than container, your shipments would have to be consolidated with other products going to the same port into a container. That could take days. Then the container would have to wait for a ship going to Canada - they aren't like busses that leave every 15 minutes. The trip across the ocean from Southampton to Dartmouth is 6 days by itself and just about 7 to Gananoque. Then a day to unload and break down the container. Another day for customs clearance. Lastly, the truck shipment would be 1-2 days depending on the port.

I could see a company like ICECORP being able to offer good prices on air freight if they were committing to shipping igloos every day with an airline. I used to deal with a company that shipped 3 of those every Friday via Lufthansa from Germany to Arizona. They would get them the following Wednesday.

BTW - this is an airfreight igloo:

I get my products from the UK by airfreight and it takes about 5 business days via TNT. They are half the price of FedEx and UPS and only take an extra day.
    Rob, I really don't know how they do it, but they are friendly and will answer your email if you want to see what they can do for you. If the timing was right, we got our skids of books shipped on a ship, from England to Canada and they arrived at our warehouse in 5 business days plus 2 weekend days if everything went right...but maybe 2 weeks to 2 1/2 weeks at the most.

They came to me, and I don't switch suppliers easily. I gave them about 5 test cases, gave them the weight, number of skids, etc and they gave me their rates. Even have up to the minute tracking information. They gave me quotes that were 75% less than my current shipper, and I thought it was too good to be true....but it was.

I am not sure if they operate in the US but it might be worth checking. Books are never worth shipping by air, it would cost more than the books are work. I could ship 40000 books ata time and shipping might be $3000....less than 10 cents a book.....so it made sense financially.

abacomike said:

@driver100‌

I don't think so, driver.  It sure would get monotonous, don't you think.  

What if they had automatic parking? B)

Actually, it would get very boring. I always wonder what the guy with that job would talk about when he gets home from work. Hi honey, today I parked 6 black cars, 4 red ones, 8 silver.................

I love the skeletons of the trees with white snow on top of the branches and the black naked bark showing on the underside. Sort of like black and white in the Michael Jackson video.

Were the Mt Adams streets icy on Monday?

Imid...no problems in Mt Adams. They salted it pretty well. Not enough snow to block street parking either. That said, my car is AWD, too. Wife met me at the Blind Lemon for an after work drink. No problems with her Accord.
    Every time the temperature drops below 60 degrees F (+/-), this old lady's car horn starts sounding, without stop until the battery is drained.  I think she has a 2000 Buick Skylark.  She is so hard of hearing that she does not hear the horn.  So I went up to the 4th floor and rang her doorbell and banged on her door for 5 minutes, but no answer.  So I called her on her house phone, it went to an answering service.

So, I called security and they came right away.  The security guard gets out of his car and says, "...not this AGAIN!"  He walked up to her apartment and he had a pass key to get in her apartment.  There she was, sitting in her living room, TV blasting and totally oblivious to her environment.  The security guard got her car key, went down to the car, ripped the wiring for her horn out from under her hood, locked the car, came back upstairs and handed her the key and all the wiring. He told her to have her car taken to a mechanic in the morning.

Tge security guard and I walked downstairs together and I asked him why he pulled all her wiring out from the fuse box.  He sai this was the 4th time in the past 8 weeks her horn has gone off and the security department wanted to make sure she either fixed her horn properly or that her horn would never work again.

I assured him I heard nothing, saw nothing and spoke nothing!  Let's hope the old lady gets the message.

2021 Genesis G90

How do you get a job there? First join the Teamsters. This is Philly. That's union work for sure!

Question for Mike: Is Fla a sales tax credit state? Someone asked on another thread. They have a car which I believe was purchased that they want to trade in on a lease, and don't know if they will at least save sales tax.