Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying and Selling Cars: Post Your Experiences

Comments

• jsyodesjsyodes Central IllinoisPosts: 18

Wait, this discussion is limited to buying and selling cars?!?! No razors, washing machines, air conditioners, etc? I am outta here. :D

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942

I made an offer on a house last night...er, on topic, it has a two car garage and I only have one car at the moment. On the way to lunch with the realtor, we passed by a BRGish used Miata with a tan top. If we were already living here (Las Cruces), I would have grabbed the phone number.

Have seen a dozen or so convertibles in the last couple of days but only two had the tops down.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 4,242
    @abacomike says:

I just got home from Naples and noticed the new forum. The British even know about this thread thanks to driver!

2015 Mercedes Benz E400 Sport Sedan

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 8,101

@stever said: I made an offer on a house last night...er, on topic, it has a two car garage and I only have one car at the moment. On the way to lunch with the realtor, we passed by a BRGish used Miata with a tan top. If we were already living here (Las Cruces), I would have grabbed the phone number.

Have seen a dozen or so convertibles in the last couple of days but only two had the tops down.

Congrats on the (potential) new house!

Was it perhaps too hot to have the tops down on the convertibles?

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296

An exotic purchase may be coming soon

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was considering ordering a used car directly from Japan for my Caribbean home. I am using a local broker and he sent me the below link.

I went through the website and this white 1999 automatic, two-door, 4WD model caught my eye. It looks clean inside and out, especially the headlights. The mileage at 60,800 miles seems very reasonable. Price, including cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) US$ 4,600. http://www.picknbuy24.com/detail/TOYOTA/RAV4/16859.html

Like *Driver100, I want to have my own wheels rather than spend $70.00 a day on rentals. It's a risk but one I am willing to take.

Any thoughts?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,662

Looks nice enough. And not all that pricey.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,124

Nothing to buy that's already on the island?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,296

@kyfdx@Edmunds said: Nothing to buy that's already on the island?

Yes, but it would be twice as expensive.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,538

Interesting to note, while we were in Bermuda last week (absolutely beautiful place, with wonderful people living there, BTW), I struck up a conversation with a person on the water taxi who has lived in Bermuda all his life.

He said they don't have a personal income tax on the island. But, just as a "for example", if you bought a new car, you pay 130% of the U.S. retail. Hmmmn...no wonder everyone drives mopeds/scooters and teeny cars there.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036

@graphicguy said: But, just as a "for example", if you bought a new car, you pay 130% of the U.S. retail. Hmmmn...no wonder everyone drives mopeds/scooters and teeny cars there.

It's more than that - it's a 150% tax and each household is allowed to own only 1 car. There's also an annual road tax based on the vehicle size that ranges from $250 to $1600 a year. The goal of course is to reduce congestion. It's a tiny island.

Been there 3 times. You really don't need a car.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

@stever said:

"If we were already living here (Las Cruces), I would have grabbed the phone number."

I've been to Las Cruces a few times. Great place to vacation. The art colony is outstanding and a must see for visitors.

Good luck - and make sure your air-conditioning is working properly. It gets hot out there at times.

• justg0justg0 Posts: 70

@kyfdx@Edmunds said: I think it's been that way for a long time, though it may be getting worse. For instance, BMWs don't have "holdback", but it's common knowledge that there is 5% of invoice of back-end money that BMW pays the dealer (which varies by CSI scores and volume)..

And, some makes have such thin margins between MSRP and invoice, that there has to be more money on the back end (Volvo comes to mind).

The salesperson I dealt with at BMW said that the back-end money goes to the owner at year end, but it doesn't make it way down to the sales team. Is that correct?

In order to sell the car at invoice, he wanted to make sure I give them all 10s in the survey, which I guess helps them with some bonuses?

And also the GM wanted to make sure I name our next child or grandchild after him :o

@robr2 said: It's more than that - it's a 150% tax and each household is allowed to own only 1 car. There's also an annual road tax based on the vehicle size that ranges from $250 to $1600 a year. The goal of course is to reduce congestion. It's a tiny island.

We had no problem whatsoever getting around on their public busses and water taxis. I can see where no car is needed....maybe the scooters would be a nice convenience.

I actually spoke to one of the residents who was running a jewelry shop (all hand designed) in St George. She said she was looking to move. As she put it, it is a tiny island, and everyone knows everyone else's business, to the point of intrusion.

Replying how I was shocked anyone would like to move from such a great place, the artist told me it was a scene out of "Twilight Zone" for her.....where she felt imprisoned by the island's "tiny-ness", regardless of its great beauty.

Moral of the story.....never assume paradise is as beautiful to live in as it is to look at.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,720

GG: I, too, was quite enamored of Bermuda. Had similar intersting conversations with the Manager of a small art gallery in the Hamilton Princess hotel. Walked everywhere local in Southampton and used the free water shuttle between the Southampton and Hamilton Princess.

I liked the odd (to me) assortment of small cars, the IIRC, the Pugeout hard top convertibles. Or maybe Renaults? Mostly, the relaxed atmosphere (when not in a taxi/van!), beautiful warm water and, as you noted, equally warm people.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

LD...saw the Peugot covertible. Also interesting, saw modern MGs/Rovers there, too. Surprised there were no "SMART" cars, though.

Found out they had a shortage of teachers (which peaked my wife's interest) and pharmacists. Ordinarily, they fill positions as much as possible with the natives. But, as their saying goes there, the biggest Bermudean Exports are people anr Rum. So, there are opportunities for both. Unless yoiu're of Bermudan ancestry, you can't own land. And, as one South African pharmicist told us, she could have her work visa withdrawn at any time if things change. But, she's been there 5 years, so far.

We'll go back...probably sooner rather than later.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942

@Michaell said: Was it perhaps too hot to have the tops down on the convertibles?

Gee, it's only been in the high 90s and cloudless. Don't know why the vert owners don't have the tops down. Wasn't even any dust blowing around. :wink:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,984

My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!

One feature that I like very much is that I now get those email alerts that new posts are on the site. We had that nice feature under the older system.

Richard

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,720

@graphicguy said:

I had similar converstaions regarding ownership. As well as the relatively new concept of a measurable unemployment rate and the import of foreign workers. And, of course, wealth!

I hope to go back, with someone with whom I can share the experience...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528

@sterlingdog said: My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!

Congratulations. Glad to see you're here.

@sterlingdog said:

"My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!"

Richard, we are all very proud of you for navigating here on your own without guidance or help.

It's going to be hard, at first, remembering the title of this new forum thread. If you asked me right now to provide you with the title, I could not without looking at it physically.

Back in the 70s all the cars in Bermuda where British. That was cool seeing them. Most never made It over here.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 8,101

@graphicguy said:

Found out they had a shortage of teachers (which peaked my wife's interest) and pharmacists. Ordinarily, they fill positions as much as possible with the natives. But, as their saying goes there, the biggest Bermudean Exports are people anr Rum. So, there are opportunities for both. Unless yoiu're of Bermudan ancestry, you can't own land. And, as one South African pharmicist told us, she could have her work visa withdrawn at any time if things change. But, she's been there 5 years, so far.

Last year, my wife found a job posting for Executive Director of Early Childhood Programs for Bermuda. Three year contract, paying something like $130K per year. We talked about it for, oh, about an hour before she decided she couldn't leave her dogs behind for that long.

Since my work is on-line, I could have easily made the transition and worked from "home" there. Although, I'm sure there would have been many distractions.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Speaking of rum, I still have a few bottles each of light and dark Goslings 151 rum in the basement. From my honeymoon. So quite aged at this point. That is some powerful stuff. Rum swizzles that will burn your nose hairs.

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,817

@bwia said: An exotic purchase may be coming soon

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was considering ordering a used car directly from Japan for my Caribbean home. I am using a local broker and he sent me the below link.

I went through the website and this white 1999 automatic, two-door, 4WD model caught my eye. It looks clean inside and out, especially the headlights. The mileage at 60,800 miles seems very reasonable. Price, including cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) US$ 4,600. http://www.picknbuy24.com/detail/TOYOTA/RAV4/16859.html

Like *Driver100, I want to have my own wheels rather than spend $70.00 a day on rentals. It's a risk but one I am willing to take.

Any thoughts?

Just a quick thought from the UK. Remember, buying isn't as expensive as you first think, you will be able to sell your car one day too. Also, it is nice to drive a car you actually like. Go for it!

Btw....this using a tablet with British Internet is almost impossible.

2015 Mercedes-Benz E400 , 2013 Audi A4, 2013 VW Passat

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 12,817

@abacomike said: sterlingdog said:
    "My claim to fame on this new site will be the fact that I arrived here all by myself and even bookmarked it successfully. As most of you know, this is quite a feat for me!"
    Richard, we are all very proud of you for navigating here on your own without guidance or help.

It's going to be hard, at first, remembering the title of this new forum thread. If you asked me right now to provide you with the title, I could not without looking at it physically.

Yes, good work getting here Richard.

I also have trouble remembering the title of the new site. I have to try to find it and bookmark it on 4 computers including this tablet....w n inch is a real challenge.

Btw....Bermuda is beautiful. I believe they produce electricity from using generators that are in the ocean....work off ocean currents. Sounds like quite a system.

2015 Mercedes-Benz E400 , 2013 Audi A4, 2013 VW Passat

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,808

@bwia said: An exotic purchase may be coming soon

Any thoughts?

Be real careful of avoiding any car from the Fukushima area. The "glow" on the paint may not mean a great wax job.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,036

@driver100 said: Bermuda is beautiful. I believe they produce electricity from using generators that are in the ocean....work off ocean currents. Sounds like quite a system.

Unfortunately, that never got off the ground. The company that proposed it was based in my town and it's founder is a prolific inventor. But commercialization wasn't fruitful so the technology isn't being developed.

Bermuda relies on diesel generators powered by imported oil. Solar is starting to become a popular option as electricity is very expensive.

@Michaell said:

But think of the wear and tear on your car delivering pizzas to the mainland. :p

edited June 19

What am I missing? Who would spend that kind of money for a car with that milage...even a Honda? Not to mention that the seller is a dealer posting in the "by owner" section.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4522981291.html