Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited March 2015
    driver100 said:
    Bless all the technology in these cars today - they are bound to get quirks in them from time to time.
    That said, there's a dark side that scares me, that being the glitches you just ran into with the nav unit. What if that glitch happened to a brake-by-wire system? Or an intentional hack of the throttle by a nutcase with a laptop?
    Just wondering....if I use the automatic parking feature and my car hits another car while backing in who is responsible? I have the feature but forget how to use it....and don't know if I would want to use it. I have parallel parked about 6 times since I got the car in November, but did it myself.
    Driver, you are still the driver of the car and you are the one who controls its forward and backward movements.  This, you're the one responsible.

As for using your parking assist, better take it into you dealership back home when you get there.  

I've it on two cars now and have never used it.  Even if I had to parallel park the car, I would do it manually.  When the day comes when I can't parallel park my own car, I would turn in my driver's license to the DMV.  I just got the package for the sensors and all the surround view cameras.

2021 Genesis G90

• The liability thing has really intrigued me. There are already autonomous cars roaming the streets as pilots for future consumer vehicles. No human intervention required to get from point A to point B. So, if there's an accident, does the manufacturer take responsibility? If a sensor or other device fails and someone dies, could charges be pressed? Technology moves so fast often times our laws can't keep up. There are some interesting questions to be answered in only a handful of years regarding automated vehicles.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    that is an interesting question. I would bet that, at least based on the laws today, if you are "riding in" while your car drives itself, you are still responsible. though quite certain that it would lead to a lawsuit against the maker.

I'm not a lawyer (where's RB when you need a judge?), but I think this is the type of situation where you need it to happen, then have a test case go through the courts, to figure out it will all shake out.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    welcome back jmonroe. Have you been keeping busy waxing your cars? :smile:
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    edited March 2015
    robr2 said:

driver100 said:

tyguy said:

abacomike said:

Bless all the technology in these cars today - they are bound to get quirks in them from time to time.

That said, there's a dark side that scares me, that being the glitches you just ran into with the nav unit. What if that glitch happened to a brake-by-wire system? Or an intentional hack of the throttle by a nutcase with a laptop?

Just wondering....if I use the automatic parking feature and my car hits another car while backing in who is responsible? I have the feature but forget how to use it....and don't know if I would want to use it. I have parallel parked about 6 times since I got the car in November, but did it myself.

Most likely you. You still have to be aware and in control of you vehicle.
    What if I have to wrestle the steering wheel away from the car? What if we get into a big fight? The steering wheel turns by itself, how do I know it miscalculated? One thing, I am sure it is going to say in the agreement....owner will be responsible.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

driver100 said:
    Most likely you. You still have to be aware and in control of you vehicle.
    What if I have to wrestle the steering wheel away from the car? What if we get into a big fight? The steering wheel turns by itself, how do I know it miscalculated? One thing, I am sure it is going to say in the agreement....owner will be responsible.
    Yes, you can over-ride the active steering.  In fact, it can sense when your hands are not on the steering wheel and automatically disengages until your your hands are placed back on the steering wheel.  A red warning shows up on the settings screen inside your speedometer showing a picture of your hands off the steering wheel.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Driver, you are still the driver of the car and you are the one who controls its forward and backward movements.  This, you're the one responsible.

As for using your parking assist, better take it into you dealership back home when you get there..

My sales consultant/assistant showed me how to do it twice....but, one day on a pretty quiet parking lot I was going to try it....but, forgot how to do it. I parked, called my consultant, he explained it, but by then I didn't have time to do it. You have to do it at least once or you will forget. I don't want to try self-parking on a busy street. I'll get a refresher course when I get back.....and then will still probably never use it. One review said it didn't park the car that well....probably do better myself.

As the Audi ads said a few years ago....Audi, built for people who like to drive themselves.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited March 2015
    NHTSA has a released a statement on vehicle automation and has released the following levels:

No-Automation (Level 0): The driver is in complete and sole control of the primary vehicle controls – brake, steering, throttle, and motive power – at all times.

Function-specific Automation (Level 1): Automation at this level involves one or more specific control functions. Examples include electronic stability control or pre-charged brakes, where the vehicle automatically assists with braking to enable the driver to regain control of the vehicle or stop faster than possible by acting alone.

Combined Function Automation (Level 2): This level involves automation of at least two primary control functions designed to work in unison to relieve the driver of control of those functions. An example of combined functions enabling a Level 2 system is adaptive cruise control in combination with lane centering.

Limited Self-Driving Automation (Level 3): Vehicles at this level of automation enable the driver to cede full control of all safety-critical functions under certain traffic or environmental conditions and in those conditions to rely heavily on the vehicle to monitor for changes in those conditions requiring transition back to driver control. The driver is expected to be available for occasional control, but with sufficiently comfortable transition time. The Google car is an example of limited self-driving automation.

Full Self-Driving Automation (Level 4): The vehicle is designed to perform all safety-critical driving functions and monitor roadway conditions for an entire trip. Such a design anticipates that the driver will provide destination or navigation input, but is not expected to be available for control at any time during the trip. This includes both occupied and unoccupied vehicles.

AFAIK, NHTSA has not approved anything beyond Level 2 except in controlled testing environments.
    robr2 said:

NHTSA has a released a statement on vehicle automation and has released the following levels:

No-Automation (Level 0): The driver is in complete and sole control of the primary vehicle controls – brake, steering, throttle, and motive power – at all times.

AFAIK, NHTSA has not approved anything beyond Level 2 except in controlled testing environments.

What's the point of having a self driving car if I still have to watch what is going on? I won't be able to watch a movie or have a nap if I use auto-pilot. It sounds like it would be boring anyway...rather drive myself ;)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I want to see them work "empty". Flying in? Sure, I'll have my car pick you up....
    robr2 said:

driver100 said:

robr2 said:

What's the point of having a self driving car if I still have to watch what is going on? I won't be able to watch a movie or have a nap if I use auto-pilot. It sounds like it would be boring anyway...rather drive myself ;)

Of course you would be able to watch a movie or sleep - it's a SELF DRIVING car....

There are a lot of benefits to self driving cars:

imagine a highway where all the cars are running in unison in a controlled environment that maximizes capacity and reduces time in transit and fuel consumption

imagine being dropped off at work in NYC and your car self driving itself to Long Island to park while you are at work

imagine climbing into your car in Toronto at 8 PM, crossing into the US and waking up in Roanoke, VA 8 hours later

Now, this isn't what I would like to see but it's coming. But it's going to take a long time as the new technology is implemented.
    Rob, it sounds like there could be some benefits. I guess I won't have to worry about having the "feel of the road". As long as the seats are comfortable that won't matter. We live in exciting times, but personally, I think I prefer driving my own car.

I dint like to ride with other people driving. I would be a wreck letting the car do it.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I betcha that most autonomous cars, when they appear, will be for hire, not privately owned.
    stickguy said:

I dint like to ride with other people driving. I would be a wreck letting the car do it.

I have that problem too! I wonder what percentage of the population prefers to drive....and doesn't like being a passenger.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    abacomike said:

We have all 3 locally - Sam's Club, Costco and BJ's.  I really don't enjoy going to Costco because they are so jammed all the time.  If I go early when they open - jammed!  Noontime - jammed! 3:00 PM - jammed.  Unfortunately, they are landlocked in their present location and have no room to expand parking.  The problem is finding a parking space.

Gasoline is not a problem since they open very early and stay open late.  But the store itself is like downtown Manhattan at rush hour - just awful.

Costco's world wide headquarters and flagship store is a five minute (or less) drive from our home so we go there pretty often. since they opened the store in 1994, they have expanded it at least three times. Their corporate offices are HUGE and they employee a ton of people.

I HATE their crowed parking lot that has also been expanded three or four times. I also hate the pushy shoppers that will literally run you over to get to a free sample of something.
  • Anyone else mourning the demise of Top Gear UK? I'm hoping the bond between May, Hammond, and Clark will be strong enough to spur a new, non-BBC show involving those three.
    We have all 3 locally - Sam's Club, Costco and BJ's.  I really don't enjoy going to Costco because they are so jammed all the time.  If I go early when they open - jammed!  Noontime - jammed! 3:00 PM - jammed.  Unfortunately, they are landlocked in their present location and have no room to expand parking.  The problem is finding a parking space.

Gasoline is not a problem since they open very early and stay open late.  But the store itself is like downtown Manhattan at rush hour - just awful.
    Costco's world wide headquarters and flagship store is a five minute (or less) drive from our home so we go there pretty often. since they opened the store in 1994, they have expanded it at least three times. Their corporate offices are HUGE and they employee a ton of people. I HATE their crowed parking lot that has also been expanded three or four times. I also hate the pushy shoppers that will literally run you over to get to a free sample of something.
    DITTO!!!

2021 Genesis G90

I've been following the Top Gear saga on another board. As a long time viewer, I really am disappointed with the situation.

The show is most likely not over. It'll will come back with new hosts. TG generates $250 million in revenue for the BBC annually so I'm sure it will be back.

Unfortunately, Jeremy Clarkson burned his last bridge. For years the BBC let him slide on the digs and snarkey remarks about the BBC and other issues. They slapped his wrist when he used offensive/racist remarks on air. But when he choose to physically assault a co-worker after berating him for 20 minutes because he couldn't get a steak and fries at their hotel, the BBC couldn't let him back on the air.

Clarkson will get a new gig doing a Top Gear like show on another broadcaster. James May and Richard Hammond may or may not go with him as their contracts for TG are expiring. Rumors have HBO and Netflix perhaps being the landing spot.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited March 2015
    Considering that Hammond and May had shots at their own shows, I'm thinking that the conclusion for Clarkson has been planned for a while.
    Does anyone really want another muzzled USA type Top Gear?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Hey, Bradd! Meant to ask how the Yankees did today.......
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I missed a conference call watching that game. Oops.

I missed the game but love the results. That wasn't on SNY, was it?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    it was on YES. I am in the Philly market, but it was on MLB network today too. Man, listening to Kay was brutal. Mets certainly are ahead in announcer quality!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I'll give you guys that. Kay as an announcer is far from my favorite, but have met him personally & he did something super memorable for my son. John & Suzyn are just awful.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It's a;ways been painful listening to Yankees games just as it's been great listening to Mets announcers. They have a guy on the radio these days that just doesn't have a Mets voice but basically they haven't had much of any bad ones (right now the nearest thing to that is having to listen to Hernandez tell us how smart he is). The only problem with Gary Cohen on TV os that he was the best raido play by play guy bar none. He's still quite good on TV but on radio he was God.

Meanwhile with the Yankees, how far back do you have to go to get a listenable announcer? Bobby Murcer? And you have to admit to listening to years of Scooter....

I have to admit that in the time we've won two world series the Yankees have won six. Announcers only take you so far.
    "Next Year" is finally here for you guys. Best of luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@fezo said:

"Meanwhile with the Yankees, how far back do you have to go to get a listenable announcer? Bobby Murcer? And you have to admit to listening to years of Scooter...."

I always enjoyed Mel Allen.  He was a sportcaster's sportcaster!

I was lucky enough to be living in Chicago during the days of Harry Carray as he did the TV play-by-play of the Cubs games.  He said what was on his mind with a sentence ending "HOLY COW" and announced home runs for the Cubs as, "...it looks like, it could be, it might be - A HOME RUN!"

Miss those guys - Mel and Harry!

2021 Genesis G90

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118

Considering that Hammond and May had shots at their own shows, I'm thinking that the conclusion for Clarkson has been planned for a while.
    Does anyone really want another muzzled USA type Top Gear?

I read a comment on another site that made an excellent suggestion ... get Clarkson to partner with Jay Leno on a web based show. Invite a guest to join them (suggested were Gordon Ramsay, Brian Johnson of AC/DC and the like) and have at it.

Or, get Clarkson to narrate a series of documentaries about the automobile industry, like Richard Attenborough.

So many possibilities ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    abacomike said:

@fezo said:

"Meanwhile with the Yankees, how far back do you have to go to get a listenable announcer? Bobby Murcer? And you have to admit to listening to years of Scooter...."

I was lucky enough to be living in Chicago during the days of Harry Carray as he did the TV play-by-play of the Cubs games.  He said what was on his mind with a sentence ending "HOLY COW" and announced home runs for the Cubs as, "...it looks like, it could be, it might be - A HOME RUN!"

I grew up in Southern California was was lucky to listen to Vin Scully broadcast the Dodger games when I was a kid.

Hard to believe he's been at it for 60+ years .. he doesn't do much travel anymore but does all the home games, I'm told. My cousin was lucky enough to meet him just last week at a fund raising event she got invited to.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    edited March 2015
    Back in the early '70s I had a radio with a long wire antenna strung between 2 trees and a lead coming in through my bedroom window to listen to distant stations on my Realistic receiver. I could pick up stations from as far away as Cincinnati and St. Louis, but most of the time I would stick to east coast stations from New York, New England, Baltimore and Philadelphia. As a baseball fan, I would lay in bed listening to Yankees games with Frank Messer, Bill White and Phil Rizzutto; the Mets with the immortal trio of Lindsay Nelson, Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner; Phillies games with Byrum Saam, Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn; Orioles games with the fabulous Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell; and Red Sox games with Ken Coleman and the wonderful Ned Martin.

There are some good ones on-air today - I think Gary Cohen is as good as any I have any heard - but those were the golden days of play by play. Yankee games are odd to me. I like Michael Kay and he seems like a good guy, but the other announcers are very weak and Yankees radio is almost unlistenable. Hard to understand.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited March 2015
    Michaell said:
    @fezo said:

I grew up in Southern California was was lucky to listen to Vin Scully broadcast the Dodger games when I was a kid. Hard to believe he's been at it for 60+ years .. he doesn't do much travel anymore but does all the home games, I'm told. My cousin was lucky enough to meet him just last week at a fund raising event she got invited to.
    As I mentioned in previous posts, I knew Don Drysdale and his wife and kids quite well.  He did the broadcasts for the Dodgers in the late 1980's and through the mid 1990's until his untimely death in Montreal on an away set of games against the Expos at the time.  He was a good sportscaster - as well as a tough, sometimes over-bearing pitcher for the Dodgers.  He was well known for his high, inside fastballs that moved batters out of the box so he could control the strike zone.

I met Vin Scully at Don Drysdales funeral - he was the master of ceremonies during the memorial service at Forest Lawn Cemetary.

2021 Genesis G90

ab348 said:
    Back in the early '70s I had a radio with a long wire antenna strung between 2 trees and a lead coming in through my bedroom window to listen to distant stations on my Realistic receiver. I could pick up stations from as far away as Cincinnati and St. Louis, but most of the time I would stick to east coast stations from New York, New England, Baltimore and Philadelphia. As a baseball fan, I would lay in bed listening to Yankees games with Frank Messer, Bill White and Phil Rizzutto; the Mets with the immortal trio of Lindsay Nelson, Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner; Phillies games with Byrum Saam, Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn; Orioles games with the fabulous Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnell; and Red Sox games with Ken Coleman and the wonderful Ned Martin. There are some good ones on-air today - I think Gary Cohen is as good as any I have any heard - but those were the golden days of play by play. Yankee games are odd to me. I like Michael Kay and he seems like a good guy, but the other announcers are very weak and Yankees radio is almost unlistenable. Hard to understand.
    I knew Ralph Kiner quite well and his son Scott when I lived and worked in the Palm Springs area.  He was very active in fund raising events for my school as was his son Scott.  Played several rounds of golf with him in the 1990's.

2021 Genesis G90

Can't argue about Mel Allen for sure. And Vin Scully continues to amaze.

Frank Messer and Bill White were a good team. Rizzutto was a real distraction but I knew people who watched specifically to hear what he'd say.

Ashburn and Kalus were fantastic. Made Philles games worth catching.

Yankees radio is awful which is a shame because I love baseball on the radio. When John Sterling is your voice of reason you know you have trouble. The Mets have Howie Rose who is quite good but the other guy, whose name I can't remember at the moment just doesn't have the sound of what I'm used to. They had a bunch of guys over the year that sounded perfectly natural doing Mets games. People like Gary Thorne and Tom McCarthy (who almost unforgivably defected to the Phillies).

Don Drysdale was as good at announcing as he was at pitching. Not often I mourn the loss of a Dodger but his untimely death really hit hard. Back when he was playing and you'd get 12 games against everyone else in the league I'd watch two days is a row and watch Koufax and Drysdale just kill the Mets.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited March 2015
    Me too! I remember sneaking a little transistor radio under the covers as a kid and listening to Vin Scully!

I still think there is nobody better! Still there too!

Grew up in San Pedro!
    fezo said:

Can't argue about Mel Allen for sure. And Vin Scully continues to amaze.

Frank Messer and Bill White were a good team. Rizzutto was a real distraction but I knew people who watched specifically to hear what he'd say.

Ashburn and Kalus were fantastic. Made Philles games worth catching.

Yankees radio is awful which is a shame because I love baseball on the radio. When John Sterling is your voice of reason you know you have trouble. The Mets have Howie Rose who is quite good but the other guy, whose name I can't remember at the moment just doesn't have the sound of what I'm used to. They had a bunch of guys over the year that sounded perfectly natural doing Mets games. People like Gary Thorne and Tom McCarthy (who almost unforgivably defected to the Phillies).

Don Drysdale was as good at announcing as he was at pitching. Not often I mourn the loss of a Dodger but his untimely death really hit hard. Back when he was playing and you'd get 12 games against everyone else in the league I'd watch two days is a row and watch Koufax and Drysdale just kill the Mets.

During the memorial service for Don Drysdale, I sat right next to Sandy Koufax. White hair of course, but still a good looking guy at the time (around 1993 I think it was). Had some nice conversations with him. It was Tommy LaSorda who used to come to my school at least once a month to check on the Drysdale kids and give an assembly for the whole school. He was very close to the Drysdale Family.

2021 Genesis G90

I don't know if I ever told this story, so forgive me if I am repeating myself. One Wednesday morning, I had an appointment to meet with John Drysdale (he was closely involved in fund raising for my school at the time) for a breakfast meeting. Plans were for him to meet me at the school and we would then go out for breakfast. I mentioned this to my son, Justin, the night before. So who shows up at my school with two brand new Rawlings Baseballs still in their boxes? Of course, Justin. As soon as he arrived, Don Drysdale came into the front office and there was Justin introducing himself to Don with pen in hand and two boxed baseballs. I said to Justin, "...that is impolite and insulting, Justin!" Don said, "...Mike, if you don't ask, you don't get!" So he opened the boxes, signed the balls to Justin, put them back in the box, and said, "...now don't ask me again because the answer will be no!"

Don rarely minced words - always said what was on his mind. I thanked him for his kind gesture.

I don't know if Justin still has those baseballs or if he gave them to his sons or if he sold them. Have to ask him if I remember the next time I speak with him.

2021 Genesis G90

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Ralph Kiner-isms and Lindsay Nelson jackets! Plymouth, RC Cola and Shea Stadium being part of LaGuardia air traffic. That's baseball!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

edited March 2015

Ralph Kiner-isms and Lindsay Nelson jackets! Plymouth, RC Cola and Shea Stadium being part of LaGuardia air traffic. That's baseball!

It's fun to read these reminiscences of others. When I was in my early-mid teens, I went to bed every night and turned the radio on to listen to baseball in the summer. If the Mets or Red Sox were playing on the east coast I would go to my room early just to listen. But the best nights were when one or more of the teams were on the west coast, because they games didn't finish until 1 or 2 in the morning and you could fall asleep to the broadcast. The games sounded different when they were on the road too. No jets flying overhead like at Shea, and the crowd noise was different. Plus, I think the announcers knew that at midnight back home not so many people would be listening, so they loosened up a bit, told stories and jokes, and weren't quite as buttoned-down. I loved listening to Bob Murphy and the buttery voice of Lindsay Nelson on the Mets games and especially Chuck Thompson of the Orioles, who had perhaps one of the best deliveries I have ever heard. When he got into a rhythm it was almost like he was singing. I had trouble picking up WJR Detroit because a local station was on a nearby frequency, but when I could get it, Ernie Harwell was also amazingly great. My exposure to Vin Scully was limited to his national TV work with CBS on football and golf, and baseball on NBC, and he was undoubtedly outstanding. I do not enjoy listening to him now so much, partly because he works alone, which I find strange, and because the years have taken a bit of a toll, understandably. He is great for his age, just not as great as he was.

The radio broadcasts also had the same sponsors for years, that got drilled into your memory. MAB Paint, Schmidt's beer and Tastykake for the Phillies. Rheingold and Schaefer beer and Getty oil for the Mets. Narragansett beer for the Red Sox. National beer for the Orioles. I can still sing some of the jingles!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited March 2015
    mako1a said:

Feds broaden crackdown on dealership fraud Jamie LaReau The Federal Trade Commission is broadening its enforcement of car dealerships to crack down on deception and fraud in operations that go beyond advertising. The latest actions, announced today, also target auto-loan application fraud and deceptive practices related to add-on products and services.

"Bout time. Maybe they can check on "document fees" and other pseudonyms for them as well.

Here's a Link to the whole article? Fourth
    article down the site.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Absolutely! It kills me that Citifield now has the Pepsi Porch. RC cola was part of things! So was Plymouth but at least they still make RC cola for those who think Coke or Pepsi aren't sweet enough...
    Don't forget the friendly neighborhood AMWAY store at CITI FIELD B)

• I know I'm opening myself to criticism, but I've never been a fan of baseball...or football or basketball (ducking behind my chair right now). World football (soccer) and hockey have been my favorite team sports, and running/skiing/cycling my favorite personal sports. Tennis kind of fit into the middle. I'm thinking I was probably meant to be born in Europe. :)

I guess I can't relate with the recent posts about listening to broadcasts over the radio, but one thing I've found myself longing for lately has been a manual transmission car. I have two modern cars with CVTs that provide exceptionally smooth rides. But I find myself desiring a manual transmission again. The last vehicle I owned with a manual was a 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, something I sold 11 years ago when our daughter was born, and I miss it terribly. I miss my manual '91 Accord and manual '87 RX-7, too.

As great as cars are becoming they're also totally disconnecting us from the raw driving experience, IMHO. I'm just not engaged anymore. I don't look for excuses to be out on the road like I used to do. Maybe that's a result of aging, but I believe part of it is the lack of engagement with a car. Through European travel I've been able to rent manual cars, and in fact I insisted on those cars having manual transmissions, and I found myself excited to drive again. Part of that excitement was to explore the wonderful Euro sites, but I was literally giddy to jump in the cars and row through those gears again.

Will that experience be lost on our young generation? Will they ever know it? So many of my friends that have teens have found their kids have absolutely zero desire to drive. Why is that? What changed from one generation that could barely wait to turn 16 and get a license, to the next who have to be forced by their parents for the sake of practicality. Is driving boring today?
    mako1a said:
    I subscribe to Automotive News and this came out today. Feds broaden crackdown on dealership fraud Jamie LaReau The Federal Trade Commission is broadening its enforcement of car dealerships to crack down on deception and fraud in operations that go beyond advertising. The latest actions, announced today, also target auto-loan application fraud and deceptive practices related to add-on products and services.
    Unfortunately, after reading the entire article, it would appear the types of fraud and "add-ons" they were alluding to are not dealer fees we are all used to seeing, especially the ones here in Florida that run $499-$799.

The "add-ons" and services fees referred to are those that are hidden in fine print in those ridiculous contract forms found in used car dealers not affiliated with new car dealerships.  Many new car dealerships add a $299 fee for adding plastic door edge guards, etc., which might be eliminated by these new mandates.  

The dealer fees we are used to seeing are those promulgated or "permitted" by the individual States that require that the fees be a part of each and every contract for lease or sale - everyone pays it in other words.  In Florida, it must be printed on each and every sales order form and clearly delineated.

It's the hidden fees and add-ons that are not clearly delineated that they discussed in the article.  After all, dealer fees are actually "added profit", clear and simple.

2021 Genesis G90

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    Driving has become a bit passé, per Forbes. Bit of a stretch, but if it's not fun (commuting, heavy traffic, running costs...), then why not stay home more, work off-site more and order stuff off the net?
    Driving is boring today for the millennial generation. For them, it's merely a way to get from point A to point B. Driving for people in my generation (born in the 60's), the car was an escape because we didn't have the choice of things to do or watch. Kids today have 200 channels, the internet, their phones, video games, sports, organized activities, et al.

It's the same way with youth sports. In my town, the little league is struggling to keep kids interested in baseball. 10 year olds hate standing around in the field while the pitcher and catcher toss the ball back and forth. IT'S BORING for them and even more boring to watch. Lacrosse and soccer OTOH has grown dramatically. Both are games with constant motion and active participation.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    robr2 said:

Of course you would be able to watch a movie or sleep - it's a SELF DRIVING car....

There are a lot of benefits to self driving cars:

imagine a highway where all the cars are running in unison in a controlled environment that maximizes capacity and reduces time in transit and fuel consumption

imagine being dropped off at work in NYC and your car self driving itself to Long Island to park while you are at work

imagine climbing into your car in Toronto at 8 PM, crossing into the US and waking up in Roanoke, VA 8 hours later

Now, this isn't what I would like to see but it's coming. But it's going to take a long time as the new technology is implemented.

One of the things that people mention is when we get to your scenario is that people will no longer own a car. It'll work almost like a taxi/uber. You just get on any vehicle available.
    nyccarguy said:

Don't forget the friendly neighborhood AMWAY store at CITI FIELD B)

Swell. Thanks.

tyguy said:

I know I'm opening myself to criticism, but I've never been a fan of baseball...or football or basketball (ducking behind my chair right now). World football (soccer) and hockey have been my favorite team sports, and running/skiing/cycling my favorite personal sports. Tennis kind of fit into the middle. I'm thinking I was probably meant to be born in Europe. :)

Yep, you should probably move there, drive a buzzy econobox made in France, pay $8 a gallon for gas, and take up smoking. :)