Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    @fezo:  The really important part of your post is that your daughter is/was not seriously injured (I hope the pain down her arm/hand is merely a bruise and not serious whiplash injuries to her cervical spine).  I hope she heals quickly and without and adverse long-term effects.

Less important is the fact that the other idiot's insurance company may not provide your daughter's Camry with sufficient funds to be repaired appropriately and put back into a drivable condition.  I just hope the insured driver had sufficient liability insurance limits to cover the personal damages your daughter sustained and will seek in a legal action in court, if necessary. :angry: 

2021 Genesis G90

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    We'll be on it. I'm pretty sure she's good and have more or less mentally committed myself to fixing the thing.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    fezo said:
    We'll be on it. I'm pretty sure she's good and have more or less mentally committed myself to fixing the thing.
    Glad you "got" the drift of my post! :smile: 

2021 Genesis G90

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    fezo said:

Speaking of insurance and such, I mentioned this over in CCBA, I'll just copy here:

Some clown in a pickup truck with fishing poles and a cooler on the front ran into the back of my daughter's Camry doing likely $3K worth of damage not to say putting her in the ER. She'll be ok. Has a muscle spasm in her left shoulder that radiates down to her hand. She has her last final in her semester tomorrow. This is in sign interpretation. You think a one armed wallpaper hanger is bad?

His insurance better not try to total this. It's an 04 with a couple hundred thousand on the clock but until we bought it two years ago it had been owned for years by a Toyota mechanic and the original purchaser was his mother. This car is in fantastic shape (well it was until bozo ran into it). The cop asked her why she was over the the stop line. She said before I got hit I was behind it. They wrote the other guy for careless driving.

Well, since then I have an estimate of $6K. That's using new parts and matching the paint to current color vs what it was new. It would be considerably less with recycled parts. I know the insurance company would like to total it but I'm not likely to let that happen. This car (the 04 Camry) spent it's first 10 years with a Toyota mechanic and I've maintained it very fussily since. Mechanically it's perfect. Even after the accident it drives like it was new. No way could I replace it for $6K.

My plan is to bargain the best I can with the guy's insurance company, assuming they'll give a figure assuming it to be totaled and get what they offer to keep it and get it fixed with recycled parts and make up the difference.

So far we don't even have a police report so stay tuned.

She apparently made it through her final today and said she was doing OK.

Sorry Fezo....that is terrible news, but it sounds like your daughter will be OK which is the important thing.

These things happen all the time, and it is unfortunate that the victim is always the big loser in these cases.

Good luck fighting the insurance company....occassionally they can be fair...hope this one treats you well.

Just to recap. Our IT guys Honda Civic was rear ended in January. His car had over 100k miles on it, but it was a good reliable car. Insurance company paid him $4600, way more than book value. He went out and leased a new Fit. He is loving it, now he has a/c, heated seats, rear camera, more safety. Hopefully this will all work out and everything will fall into place.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    Let me be the first to wish driver and ab a Happy Victoria's Day, which is on Monday.

Though I don't understand why you have a national holiday to celebrate an island off the coast of BC ... odd.

:sunglasses:

(all my Canadian colleagues seem to be taking today off as well, so they'll have a 4 day weekend)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    That would be the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Michaell said:

Let me be the first to wish driver and ab a Happy Victoria's Day, which is on Monday.

Though I don't understand why you have a national holiday to celebrate an island off the coast of BC ... odd.
    And cdnpinhead said: That would be the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place.

(all my Canadian colleagues seem to be taking today off as well, so they'll have a 4 day weekend)

What cdnpinhead (Does cdn stand for Canadian?) said is very true. Vancouver Island is beautiful and Victora B.C. which is the main city on the island is a very beautiful city)

Thanks for the Good Wishes Michael (for those who don't know Victoria Day is named after Queen Victoria).. That is our "firecracker day" and it usually rains in the evening on that day for some reason....which is OK with me. Having been retired for 2 years now every day is like Victoria Day for me.

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

And cdnpinhead said: That would be the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place.

What cdnpinhead (Does cdn stand for Canadian?) said is very true. Vancouver Island is beautiful and Victora B.C. which is the main city on the island is a very beautiful city)

Thanks for the Good Wishes Michael (for those who don't know Victoria Day is named after Queen Victoria).. That is our "firecracker day" and it usually rains in the evening on that day for some reason....which is OK with me. Having been retired for 2 years now every day is like Victoria Day for me.

Sounds like my folks ... dad has been retired for 25 years now, and every day is Saturday to them. Except for the days where one of them has a doctor appointment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

If they came through with $4,600 I'd be fine. I'd also be stunned.

We were on Vancouver island poking around and spent a good piece of the time in Victoria. Absolutely loved it.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

Vancouver is one of my favorite places on earth. Beautiful, Clean, Cosmopolitan. I've thought of moving there in the past. That's how much I liked it. Darn job thing gets in the way, though.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    So, there's a chink in the Cadillac armor. About 3 weeks ago, I was driving around town, just running errands in the CTS. Car stalls while waiting at a red light. I hit the start button and it cranks for probably a minute before it starts. I'm on my way. Dry Cleaner, grocery store....probably another 5 miles. Same thing happens again...this time while slowing for a 4 way stop. Car stalls before I get within 50 feet of the stop sign. Crank and Crank again. Finally it starts. I take the car home and park it.

Finish running around using the wife's Accord.'

Next day, fire up the CTS. Same issue. Only this time, I take it directly to the dealer. They put on their diagnostic equipment and say there are no codes so they don't know what's going on. But, they say they'll keep it over night and the Service Manager will drive it to see what happens. They give me a loaner. Come back the next day. Service Manager said he didn't have any issues at all. Hmmmm.

I take it home and sure enough, nothing weird has happened since. Not sure what happened or what they did. But, fingers crossed.

So, two weeks ago, the power steering unit starts bucking (particularly when you go lock-to-lock, like during 3 point maneuvers or when I parallel park). Back to the dealer. They do get a code and replace the power steering gear and module. 8 days later, I get it back. Works for a day, then the same issue crops up. I take it back to the dealer. Now, they say they aren't getting any codes so the car is OK. I tell them it's not.

So, I'm wondering if the power steering unit is putting a drag on the motor, causing the stalls I had earlier? Just a shot in the dark.

I take it to another dealer for diagnosis. That dealer tells me the steering bucks are normal (huh?...in a $60K car?). No codes so they say they don't know what to do.

Moving on, I call Cadillac Customer Service, who escalate it to their "Senior Tech" person. That person informed me that without a code, there's no way to diagnose what's wrong...essentially telling me "too bad".

I need advice here from the peanut gallery. As much as I like the car, this is troublesome, particularly given this is a familiar road I've traveled with Cadillac before.
    That would be the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island. Beautiful place.
    When I lived in the Palm Springs area of the Coachella Valley (desert) summers were dreadful - 105-110 degrees F most days.  So at least twice per summer, we'd fly up to Seattle via Alaska Airlines (non-stop flight from PSP), spend a few nights in the Bellevue area and then take the ferry from Port Washington to Vancouver Island and the drive to Victora.  We stayed at an Historic Inn place every trip up there. Those Japanese Gardens are always beautiful to visit.  Excellent food and beautiful beaches.  Weather was always cool and comfortable.

Made weekend trips to San Francisco as well.  Had to get away from the heat.

2021 Genesis G90

So, there's a chink in the Cadillac armor. About 3 weeks ago, I was driving around town, just running errands in the CTS. Car stalls while waiting at a red light. I hit the start button and it cranks for probably a minute before it starts. I'm on my way. Dry Cleaner, grocery store....probably another 5 miles. Same thing happens again...this time while slowing for a 4 way stop. Car stalls before I get within 50 feet of the stop sign. Crank and Crank again. Finally it starts. I take the car home and park it. Finish running around using the wife's Accord.' Next day, fire up the CTS. Same issue. Only this time, I take it directly to the dealer. They put on their diagnostic equipment and say there are no codes so they don't know what's going on. But, they say they'll keep it over night and the Service Manager will drive it to see what happens. They give me a loaner. Come back the next day. Service Manager said he didn't have any issues at all. Hmmmm. I take it home and sure enough, nothing weird has happened since. Not sure what happened or what they did. But, fingers crossed. So, two weeks ago, the power steering unit starts bucking (particularly when you go lock-to-lock, like during 3 point maneuvers or when I parallel park). Back to the dealer. They do get a code and replace the power steering gear and module. 8 days later, I get it back. Works for a day, then the same issue crops up. I take it back to the dealer. Now, they say they aren't getting any codes so the car is OK. I tell them it's not. So, I'm wondering if the power steering unit is putting a drag on the motor, causing the stalls I had earlier? Just a shot in the dark. I take it to another dealer for diagnosis. That dealer tells me the steering bucks are normal (huh?...in a $60K car?). No codes so they say they don't know what to do. Moving on, I call Cadillac Customer Service, who escalate it to their "Senior Tech" person. That person informed me that without a code, there's no way to diagnose what's wrong...essentially telling me "too bad". I need advice here from the peanut gallery. As much as I like the car, this is troublesome, particularly given this is a familiar road I've traveled with Cadillac before.
    I believe you have electric steering on that car.  That should not cause the engine to shut down.  Sounds like injectors to me.  I had that problem with my 2012 E Class.  Leaking injectors caused stalling and then vacuum leaks.  The car would stall only when the engine had been shut down for less than 40 minutes.  If started within the 40 minutes again, it would stall.  But after 40 minutes, the excess fuel evaporated and it started fine.  If it is 1 or more leaking injectors, they have to replace them all because you cannot determine which injector it is.  In my case, there were no error codes.

With Cadillac, it seems they have you on a "merry-go-round"!  

2021 Genesis G90

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2015
    The beach, the mountains. Go across to Victoria for the Nanaimo Bars, lol. Hornby I. to camp and Bouchard for the best gardens in NA.

Now go price housing in downtown Vancouver. :s
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Vancouver is one nasty place to drive though! Very narrow lanes, confusing traffic lights etc.

Steve, don't be surprsed if the insurance company totals your car. You won't have much (if any) say in the matter. They don't care who owned the car before you or about how it was cared for. They only see a eleven year old car with over 200,000 miles.

They also are well aware that hidden damage may drive up the costs once they tear into it.

Also, be very cautious that your daughter is really OK. Our son got rear ended about ten years ago and he still has neck pain pretty often. Looking back, had we known this we wouldn't have signed off so easily. They were good about fixing the car, paid all of the medical expenses and gave him 5000.00 for pain and suffering.

We really should have gotten an attorney involved but not one of those guys who advertise constantly on television.
    @isellhondas - that is what I tried to communicate to fezo.  Arm and other pains could be from damage to the cervical spine area - possible nerve damage.  Could be very uncomfortable and dangerous.

2021 Genesis G90

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yes, and the other insurance company is well aware of this too and will want to settle quickly before some ambulance chasing lawyer gets involved.
    abacomike said:

So, there's a chink in the Cadillac armor. About 3 weeks ago, I was driving around town, just running errands in the CTS. Car stalls while waiting at a red light. I hit the start button and it cranks for probably a minute before it starts. I'm on my way. Dry Cleaner, grocery store....probably another 5 miles. Same thing happens again...this time while slowing for a 4 way stop. Car stalls before I get within 50 feet of the stop sign. Crank and Crank again. Finally it starts. I take the car home and park it.

Finish running around using the wife's Accord.'

Next day, fire up the CTS. Same issue. Only this time, I take it directly to the dealer. They put on their diagnostic equipment and say there are no codes so they don't know what's going on. But, they say they'll keep it over night and the Service Manager will drive it to see what happens. They give me a loaner. Come back the next day. Service Manager said he didn't have any issues at all. Hmmmm.

I take it home and sure enough, nothing weird has happened since. Not sure what happened or what they did. But, fingers crossed.

So, two weeks ago, the power steering unit starts bucking (particularly when you go lock-to-lock, like during 3 point maneuvers or when I parallel park). Back to the dealer. They do get a code and replace the power steering gear and module. 8 days later, I get it back. Works for a day, then the same issue crops up. I take it back to the dealer. Now, they say they aren't getting any codes so the car is OK. I tell them it's not.

So, I'm wondering if the power steering unit is putting a drag on the motor, causing the stalls I had earlier? Just a shot in the dark.

I take it to another dealer for diagnosis. That dealer tells me the steering bucks are normal (huh?...in a $60K car?). No codes so they say they don't know what to do.

Moving on, I call Cadillac Customer Service, who escalate it to their "Senior Tech" person. That person informed me that without a code, there's no way to diagnose what's wrong...essentially telling me "too bad".

I need advice here from the peanut gallery. As much as I like the car, this is troublesome, particularly given this is a familiar road I've traveled with Cadillac before.

I believe you have electric steering on that car.  That should not cause the engine to shut down.  Sounds like injectors to me.  I had that problem with my 2012 E Class.  Leaking injectors caused stalling and then vacuum leaks.  The car would stall only when the engine had been shut down for less than 40 minutes.  If started within the 40 minutes again, it would stall.  But after 40 minutes, the excess fuel evaporated and it started fine.  If it is 1 or more leaking injectors, they have to replace them all because you cannot determine which injector it is.  In my case, there were no error codes.

With Cadillac, it seems they have you on a "merry-go-round"!  

Mike...never thought about bad injectors. Sounds plausible. As far as the steering, I know "back in the day" if you put the steering wheel in the full lock position, you'd get the steering wheel to "Jitter" as long as you kept trying to hold it full on the steering stops, either left or right. But, as you point out, the CTS has electric steering, not hydraulic. Come to think of it, I haven't felt that sensation for decades, when I had a beater with power steering.

I also agree, I'm on the Cadillac Merry-go-Round once again. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    @graphicguy maybe you need to reach out to the GM and owner again to help speed things along. They convinced you to get the CTS in the first place - now they need to stand behind the product. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

@graphicguy maybe you need to reach out to the GM and owner again to help speed things along. They convinced you to get the CTS in the first place - now they need to stand behind the product. 

Micheall....I did that first. He checked with service and they stated to him what they told me...."if it doesn't show a code, there is no problem." I asked him if their service people only know how to fix cars based on what the computer tells them. He gave me a lot of explanations why the process is the way it is, how their mechanics are constantly in training, how much time and money he spends on training. But, essentially, the answer was "if there is no code for it, they don't recognize the car as having problems."

As I mentioned to him now I ended up back at his dealership after the first time this happened, he told me of his customer satisfaction rating. Again, we're going in circles. But, my last statement to him that it's easy to take care of the customers that don't have problems. It's how the customers that do have problems are taken care of that defines how good the dealership is.

His demeanor changed quite a bit from when I was buying the car vs trying to get my issues resolved.

Not sure what happens next. Called Cadillac Customer Service. They threw it back to the dealer. Merry Go Round indeed.
    @graphicguy - remember, GG, the leaking injectors on my 2012 E Class never showed up as error codes but the shop supervising mechanic told me it sounded like leaking injectors anyway.  So that's what he pursued and sure enough, once the injectors were replaced, problem solved.  Not all engine and electrical problems leave a trail.  It takes a great mechanic who knows his cars to diagnose the real, hidden problems.  If your car stalls, there is ALWAYS a reason behind it!

I hope you get a service survey so you can show the GM of your dealership what you think of his customer satisfaction index.  One very bad survey can throw a monkey wrench into his precious CSI numbers.

2021 Genesis G90

Vancouver is one nasty place to drive though! Very narrow lanes, confusing traffic lights etc.

Steve, don't be surprsed if the insurance company totals your car. You won't have much (if any) say in the matter. They don't care who owned the car before you or about how it was cared for. They only see a eleven year old car with over 200,000 miles.

They also are well aware that hidden damage may drive up the costs once they tear into it.

Also, be very cautious that your daughter is really OK. Our son got rear ended about ten years ago and he still has neck pain pretty often. Looking back, had we known this we wouldn't have signed off so easily. They were good about fixing the car, paid all of the medical expenses and gave him 5000.00 for pain and suffering.

We really should have gotten an attorney involved but not one of those guys who advertise constantly on television.

Average house price in Vancouver just reached $1.127 million. Seems that lots of off shore buyers are boosting the house prices. People who live in Vancouver are complaining they can't afford to buy a home there.

Excellent advice about not signing off on insurance until you are really sure.

edited May 2015

Mike...never thought about bad injectors. Sounds plausible. As far as the steering, I know "back in the day" if you put the steering wheel in the full lock position, you'd get the steering wheel to "Jitter" as long as you kept trying to hold it full on the steering stops, either left or right. But, as you point out, the CTS has electric steering, not hydraulic. Come to think of it, I haven't felt that sensation for decades, when I had a beater with power steering.

I also agree, I'm on the Cadillac Merry-go-Round once again. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    That's what bothers me about warranties too.....even if they keep fixing the car what good does it do you if it is in the garage constantly.

If there is a problem - and it doesn't show up as a code, does that mean they don't have to fix it? Because they can't diagnose a problem, does that mean it doesn't exist. Two letters come to mind.

Do you have lemon laws or arbitration in your state? I would start looking into that. Also, a consumer advocate, like a newpaper columnist or TV show. At least I would be threatening small claims court. I would demand they give you a loaner and they keep the car until it is fixed. I don't think in law a company can avoid honoring a warranty because they don't have the equipment to diagnose the problem. If you can't find a problem they shouldn't be making the car.

Now you got me angry as hell. It's almost the same as Audi only actually worse. I think you bought a car, you expect a certain degree of driving satisfaction for the product you bought....they are not fulfilling their end of the bargain. No one should have to go through that when they buy any new car.....let alone a luxury brand that is trying to establish a name in the market.

Now, I am really fuming....

driver....all very good points. I guess the thing that really bothers me is they say it's "normal". Well, if it was normal, why did they try to fix it with a new steering gear and pump? So, that begs the question, since they can't fix it, everything is OK and nothing further needs to be done.

Cadillac Customer Service said the dealer would call me within an hour. That was 10:00 a.m. this morning EDT. Haven't heard a peep.

Yeah....they have Lemon Laws here in OHIO. I think it's an arbitration board run by the Better Business Bureau. I don't know that for certain as I have to dig out my owner's manual.

If I go that direction, I know how it works, I think it has to be in for service for 30 days or it has to have multiple problems that they can't fix after 3 attempts. So, easy enough for Cadillac to deny there are any problems. They kind of screwed up since they admit there was a problem by replacing the steering gear and power steering module. But, that didn't fix it. So, now they're saying it's "normal" since that didn't fix the issue and refuse to do any other diagnostics other than putting it on their code reader.

There are several minor things that aren't working right (like the voice recognition for CUE). So, I may as well pull out all the gremlins and throw them out there if that's the way this is going to go.
    BTW....here's the difference between my BMW experiences and my Cadillac experiences.

My last BMW (335ix coupe) came with a cradle that fit in the console between the front seats. It held the iPhone and supposedly charged it and boosted the phone's antenna power....allegedly.

I had an iPhone 4 then and plugged it into this cradle. Well, I had been driving all day and making/receiving phone calls via the BMW's blue tooth. Everything was fine until after a few hours of driving, the iDrive showed the phone's battery depleted. Strange, it's supposed to be charging.

Open up the console to remover the phone and it's literally too hot to touch. I get home, park the car and turn it off for a couple of hours. Come back to it and the phone, while still quite warm, has cooled off enough to remove.

I take it to the Apple store and they tell me it suffered from some sort of voltage incompatibility...that it got so hot that even the SIM card melted. $700 later, I have a new phone from Apple.

Next day I go to BMW and tell them what happened. I show them the receipt and explain what happened. Not only did they give me $700 on the spot for a new phone, but they also give me another $400 for the cradle which was an option that came with the car. No "ifs, ands or buts".

Another time there was mark on the BMW leather where I got in and out, where my leather belt kept rubbing on the seat back. Did they say it was my fault? No! That it was "wear and tear"? No! They just replaced the seat no questions asked.

Cadillac? Let's see ho far we can string our customer along, deny there is an issue. Then fail to fix the care and pretend like nothing's wrong. This is 3 different dealers that have done this. So, this is Cadillac that's doing this.
    @graphicguy:  It would seem you have more than 1 or 2 issues with the car.  You now mentioned voice recognition as well as a few other things.

I hate to say this, but from your description of these problems and the attitude of your dealer and the lack of response from Cadillac Consumer Affairs - SURE SOUNDS LIKE CADILLAC OF THE NOT TOO DISTANT PAST!

I sure hope this is not the case!!! :worried: 

2021 Genesis G90

edited May 2015
    @driver100: - Getting this upset over someone else's poor response or treatment from an auto manufacturer is most EMPATHETIC of you driver.  But calm down - you could raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels which could result in apoplexy!!! :open_mouth: 

2021 Genesis G90

Mike....we'll see.

The steering wheel is starting to make a wratcheting noise, too. Related? Maybe.

It's such a hassle to go through this. I know how this will play out. There will be more deny problem, return to dealer, Try to placate me by saying they looked at it. They can't find the problem, Return it to me. On CUE, they'll say works as designed (which means they have terrible design if that's the case), return it to me and say nothing's wrong.

I'll take it back again. Same old story all over again.

Finally, I'll get so fed up that they'll force me to fight with them, fill out all the paperwork. Ask for one more chance to fix it. Fail because there is no code to diagnose.

Then, there Regional Rep will get involved. (S)He will drag his feet some more.

I'll be jacked around all summer, with each passing day irritating me more and more, until finally I'll file for lemon law, which will take another two months. I'll have to take off work to go to the hearing. They'll have lawyers. It will be just me representing myself.

Maybe I win, maybe I lose.

I've been down this road before with Cadillac. It's all too familiar.

I should have known better.

It doesn't matter what you spend with them. They just don't care, regardless of their lip service.
    Was it you, GG, or was it ab348 who experienced a problem with the front suspension of a Cadillac before you guys bought them?  Sounds like ghosts of the past here! :disappointed: 

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:

Was it you, GG, or was it ab348 who experienced a problem with the front suspension of a Cadillac before you guys bought them?  Sounds like ghosts of the past here! :disappointed: 

Mike...that was me. Should have been a warning of things to come.
    Mike...that was me. Should have been a warning of things to come.
    Good grief - déjà vu! :worried: 

2021 Genesis G90

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited May 2015
    Real estate in the lower mainland (Vancouver, to those who've never lived there) skyrocketed after mainland China took over Hong Kong. I owned a place in Richmond (near YVR) back in the '70s, then lived on my boat in False Creek for awhile. Rented in North Van and moved my boat over to Victoria (much cheaper moorage) about '75. The '70s were my best decade, and Vancouver/Victoria were much of the reason. It's God's country, but now you need God's money to live there.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    well, knock on simulated wood, I've had no issues thus far with my CTS. I've got somewhere between 4500 and 5000 miles on it, so I have yet to visit the dealer since the day I bought it. You are getting me nervous, though, GG.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

well, knock on simulated wood, I've had no issues thus far with my CTS. I've got somewhere between 4500 and 5000 miles on it, so I have yet to visit the dealer since the day I bought it. You are getting me nervous, though, GG.

Q....no need to get nervous. In my experience, if you don't have any issues within the first 5K miles with Cadillac, you're good. Unfortunately, mine doesn't fit into the category.

Minor things I'll let slide. I'm not real picky. But, when something like steering is involved, and they won't take care of it? Well, then every little nit becomes fair game. Granted, I'm probably less patient than most, given what I've already been through with Cadillac.

Cadillac wants to be a player in this space? Start with your customer service. No one is going to spend BMW or Mercedes (at least, not many) money if you can't give world class customer service.

I didn't report any of these issues before because I wanted to give them a chance to make things right. Looks like they're not interested in doing that. Guess I have to ratchet up the boiler a little bit until I can get some satisfaction (with or without Cadillac in tow).

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    driver100 said:

ken117 said:

Extended warranties, or service contracts which is what they are as only the OEM provides a warranty on the new vehicle, are most definitely a bet.

Is insurance a bet too? It probably is, but it is also protection of paying out a smaller amount just in case you have to pay out a huge amount. I agree, the cards are stacked against you, you will probably lose, but paying say $1200 for insurance may save you a $10000 payment over 3 years. All the money people pay for the insurance is pooled, and those that run into problems get something back....the rest will lose.

Not quite the same as gambling -IMHO!

Congrats driver. I have driven a few GLKS and also like them. Like your daughter, I would prefer the diesel. They drive and feel like a much larger vehicle.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited May 2015
    Mercedes-Benz Mbrace (equivalent to On-Star on GM Cars) put out an update for their Mbrace App last week.  I have had no problems with the App until the update!

Now, it doesn't work!  Why did they update their App?  To accommodate all their iPhone 6 users who could not use their Mbrace functions from their phones.  I have an iPhone 6!  So the update that was supposed to solve one problem created thousands and thousands of other problems - you cannot access the "Locate Vehicle" function from their phones.

So after contacting Mbrace several times and working with their technical support division inside my car and on the phone, they have no solution - for me or anyone else with an iPhone 6.  So I contacted MB Consumer Support in NJ and they said they would get it solved.

Just got a call from Mbrace and was told the solution to one problem created untold problems throughout the country.  I asked if they adequately "beta tested" the new App?  The response was "...if they did, either the data they got was garbage or the beta test didn't reveal the problems.

Now, not being able to "locate my vehicle" is not the end of the world.  They can still locate the car when I call in from the car's Mbrace button - so if stolen, they can tell the police where the car is.  But, it's the principle - I paid $350 for 18 months of service - some of which I am not receiving.

So, Mbrace said they will come up with some way of "reimbursing me for my grief".  That could be 12 months free, concierge services, or whatever.  My response was simple - give me what I paid for or send me a full refund.

MB said they would follow up with me this evening, but we know how far that commitment will fly since it's already 7:00 PM and they are closed for the weekend.

Am I foaming at the mouth?  Nope!  Would I be foaming at the mouth if my car experienced the problems Graphicguy's car is experiencing?  YEP!!! :angry: 

2021 Genesis G90

I'll be jacked around all summer, with each passing day irritating me more and more, until finally I'll file for lemon law, which will take another two months. I'll have to take off work to go to the hearing. They'll have lawyers. It will be just me representing myself.

Maybe I win, maybe I lose.

I've been down this road before with Cadillac. It's all too familiar.

GG, No new car should cause this much grief. I can understand this could take a lot of time and energy to fight. What about those guys on the radio that you call in on. I was going to do that if Audi didn't give in.

I think you should document everything and let them know they will be sued big time if anything happens to the steering...thay have been warned.

You do have to stay calm and rational...don't get overly upset like I do.....although I am very calm when writing or talking to the people involved....I only tell you guys my real feelings.

Check out some websites...people who answer questions about car problems...I found a mechanic that explained the Audi problem to me beautifully. Is there a site on Edmunds for Cadillac owners?

I find, in life and in business, there are always problems....he who finds the solutions to the problems wins. I never let up. I wish I had taken Audi to arbitration....I would rather lose than give in. I only gave in because I didn't want to come back from Florida or fill out pages of forms and get witnesses. Now I am sorry I didn't do it. I'd have something to remember for life, and it would be a great story to tell at parties.

I even considered parking outside the dealership with a sign on my car...and talking to potential customers.

Everyone thinks I am a very kind easy going person...my younger niece said she didn't believe I was once an elementary school teacher, I wasn't mean enough........but, if anyone messes with me I will do my best to get back at them....and I am successful 90% of the time. I got about half of the $2300 back from Audi, and my wife still can't believe it. I have gone against big companies and get more than most people would.

I would google "what to do if you buy a new lemon" and other topics.

I think I wrote before, I have a friend, he has had more problems in life than you can ever imagine - icluding his mother died when he was 9, his father left, he had a grade 9 education, spent time in prison, went to university and got a degree, and he signs his emails;
    "Often daunted, never defeated"

abacomike said:

@driver100: - Getting this upset over someone else's poor response or treatment from an auto manufacturer is most EMPATHETIC of you driver.  But calm down - you could raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels which could result in apoplexy!!! :open_mouth: 

Thanks for the concern Mike. I am a very easy going person. I am 68, blood pressure is fine. I don't like being taken advantage of though. Most people know hardly anything really upsets me.

I just don't like injustice, people not being treated fairly, people or companies who take advantage of me or anyone.........I hope GG finds a way to resolve these issues. Lemon laws are supposed to be pretty strong in some states. I'd consider getting a lawyer to file a class action law suit is others are having the same problems.

Don't worry Mike...my writing sounds madder than I am, but I am really upset, I have been there.

Updates -

My daughter doesn't sound any better and is sleeping a lot. Even though she'd technically here she really lives across the state. I've got to get her back to the hospital to run lots more tests and am going o have to hire an injury attorney. I learned from an accident I was in when this daughter was 7 months old to separate the car issue from the physical issue. Paid dearly for that because the physical stuff lingered for ages. No further word on the car.

The issues with the cancelled extended warranty were resolved no hassle. The dealership has been very easy to deal with.

They officially took away the old car today so I got a little something. I'd been putting money into it because I really loved the thing but it was time to pull the plug. The 5 isn't the same thing at all but the current 6 is different - sedan only, no 6 cyl. No wagon. Lots of nice goodies and amazing mileage. For some reason Skyactive hasn't made it to the 5. Mileage is OK and certainly better than what I'd been dealing with.
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

ken117 said:

Extended warranties, or service contracts which is what they are as only the OEM provides a warranty on the new vehicle, are most definitely a bet.

Is insurance a bet too? It probably is, but it is also protection of paying out a smaller amount just in case you have to pay out a huge amount. I agree, the cards are stacked against you, you will probably lose, but paying say $1200 for insurance may save you a $10000 payment over 3 years. All the money people pay for the insurance is pooled, and those that run into problems get something back....the rest will lose.

Not quite the same as gambling -IMHO!

Congrats driver. I have driven a few GLKS and also like them. Like your daughter, I would prefer the diesel. They drive and feel like a much larger vehicle.

Thanks houdini.........I like the E400 a little more...a little plusher and smoother ride (longer wheelbase), lower to the ground.

But, that GLK is a lot of fun, the firm but smooth ride, solidness, and comfortable seating, nice size, big windows make it a really nice vehicle too. My wife doesn't like larger cars like mine.....so she would choose the GLK over the E. The GLK has almost all the same features as the E, but lists for $20k less....it has a lot considering the price.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355

BTW....here's the difference between my BMW experiences and my Cadillac experiences.

My last BMW (335ix coupe) came with a cradle that fit in the console between the front seats. It held the iPhone and supposedly charged it and boosted the phone's antenna power....allegedly.

I had an iPhone 4 then and plugged it into this cradle. Well, I had been driving all day and making/receiving phone calls via the BMW's blue tooth. Everything was fine until after a few hours of driving, the iDrive showed the phone's battery depleted. Strange, it's supposed to be charging.

Open up the console to remover the phone and it's literally too hot to touch. I get home, park the car and turn it off for a couple of hours. Come back to it and the phone, while still quite warm, has cooled off enough to remove.

I take it to the Apple store and they tell me it suffered from some sort of voltage incompatibility...that it got so hot that even the SIM card melted. $700 later, I have a new phone from Apple.

Next day I go to BMW and tell them what happened. I show them the receipt and explain what happened. Not only did they give me $700 on the spot for a new phone, but they also give me another $400 for the cradle which was an option that came with the car. No "ifs, ands or buts".

Another time there was mark on the BMW leather where I got in and out, where my leather belt kept rubbing on the seat back. Did they say it was my fault? No! That it was "wear and tear"? No! They just replaced the seat no questions asked.

Cadillac? Let's see ho far we can string our customer along, deny there is an issue. Then fail to fix the care and pretend like nothing's wrong. This is 3 different dealers that have done this. So, this is Cadillac that's doing this.

Which explains why my wife will probably never drive anything other than a BMW. I feel the same way about the treatment I receive. Too bad none of their reasonably priced cars get my juices flowing...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    Driver, I parked next to a white glk350 today. Cute. Definitely small. I like it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

GG, trade on a C class time? Give your wife a thrill that way!

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Driver, congrats on the GLK! I've always been a fan of them.

Graphicguy, sorry to hear about the troubles with the Cadillac, shame to see thing really haven't changed with them.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited May 2015
    Sorry, Graphic about your problems. Taking a stance of "no error code, no problem" is see no evil. Your car stalled, for godness sake. What is their thought process, did you imagine that, or are you lying? Truly pathetic, especially for on outfit aspiring to be part of the best.

I always say that the test of a business, or a person, is not when things go well. When everything is fine, we are all smiles, pads in the back, perfect surveys and five stars. It is when things go wrong, mistakes are made, that's the real test of greatness and character. Mediocrity, selfishness and poor form are revealed very quickly, when people have to put effort affecting their short term bottom line. Unfortunately, majority will fail the test. That's why I'd be more inclined to stick to people or companies that show effort and go further when things don't work out. I don't expect perfect experience, but I do expect a correction, when things are not perfect. Fancy customer lounge, or cappucino won't make up for incompetence and lack of effort.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    @graphicguy - Sorry to hear of your woes with the CTS. I can only imagine how disappointing that must be. I wonder how the dealer owner can switch attitudes so fast. They seemed very accommodating on the replacement for your original car.

I believe you mentioned you are on the Cadillac forums. There is someone on the ATS board who has a direct connection to Johan de Nysschen. Perhaps an appeal there might get some action.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

GG, you do have poor luck lately. Though not with the Acura that was bulletproof. One reason some people "settle" for a car that might be a tenth lower in the performance or luxury area.

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    GG, install a Go-Pro facing the dash. When the tach goes to zero and the key is still on...post the video.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

jpp5862 said:

Driver, congrats on the GLK! I've always been a fan of them.

Graphicguy, sorry to hear about the troubles with the Cadillac, shame to see thing really haven't changed with them.

Thanks jpp. It is funny how some things come about. My wife had lost confidence in the Audi. She had tried the 328 and 335 a few years ago and wasn't impressed with the seating position etc....and, we really don't want run flat tires.

She tried a CLA - too small and not great vision forward, same with the C Class. I saw an M Class (the larger SUV) in the showroom but it was much too large, also not great vision forward. But, that reminded me that the GLK looked pretty small (short at least) and it had large windows. The salesman got one from the back lot and it was better than any car she has ever tried....for seating and vision forward. If the salesman was really clued in, he would have suggested it, but, that's OK, I am just glad she found a car that she really likes.

She may have to keep the GLK for a long time if they keep making cars with low rooflines and high instrument panel and hood.

edited May 2015
    mako1a said:

GG, install a Go-Pro facing the dash. When the tach goes to zero and the key is still on...post the video.

That's a great idea Mako.

Also, no one is going to make up that their new car is not running properly, unless they have nothing else going on in their life. Dino said it best...see no evil to them means there's nothing wrong. That's not how it works.

There are some national phone in shows on Saturdays.....I'd give that a try, see what the experts say. If I had time I'd go and talk to the manager, and if he isn't trying to resolve the situation I would start talking to some of the perspective customers who are in the showroom.

I'd also see if there are customer satisfaction websites in the area, and post your experience.

I wrote to a local mechanic who writes a column for the local newspaper and he got back to me right away, said a clutch should last for 150000 miles, not 10000.

I know it is hard when you have a life and things to do, but just keep jabbing at them. It might be worth it to call another Cadillac dealer and see if they have any ideas.

***We need a few more posts to get to page 400 ;)