Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    edited November 2015

Read today that this is the 50th anniversary of the 1965 Northeast blackout.
    My memory of that is changing the channel on the TV, the lights going out and my parents being mad at me for a few minutes. I didn't get to touch the TV much back then, so it seemed like a double whammy.

I remember blaming it on the Russians and later space aliens. Had fun running around the neighborhood with flashlights and telling ghost stories. Probably the last time we weren't worried that bad things might happen. Ah, the optimism of youth.

One local radio station AM 980 was the only one in the area with a generator and we were able to find out what happened and listen to the reports of how extensive it was.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Hey, driver100, thanks for the Material Issue and Jim Ellison sampling there. If Gordie likes it I would usually like to hear it, too.

That was actually roadburner who had that additional info...but, that's OK, happening a lot around here lately and not as bad as Cincinatti - Connecticut.

Cincinnati is one of the more difficult words to spell correctly - especially for Canadians trying to translate Canadianese to American English.

Good try, driver - not bad for someone who comes from where we get all that snow every winter. :worried: 

I am going to take a different route to get here next time........can I get here via New York, that's fairly easy ;) ?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Michaell said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Hey, driver100, thanks for the Material Issue and Jim Ellison sampling there. If Gordie likes it I would usually like to hear it, too.

That was actually roadburner who had that additional info...but, that's OK, happening a lot around here lately and not as bad as Cincinatti - Connecticut.

Cincinnati is one of the more difficult words to spell correctly - especially for Canadians trying to translate Canadianese to American English.

Good try, driver - not bad for someone who comes from where we get all that snow every winter. :worried: 
    Maybe I'm missing something - where would you add the 'u' to Cincinnati?

That's funny!

I say if you make a word that defies all logic then you get whatever you get. We also went through Chattanooga.

I guess the easiest would be to say Cincinatti is the Canadian spelling.

One thing I did see that I never saw before on our trip. 5 times I saw a car with a trailer and the trailer was carrying really nice used cars. One was a Lexus in beautiful shape. They were all really top condition older used cars. I am just guessing but I think some people are finding really clean used cars and are reselling them. Oldfarmer, that would be the perfect business for you!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @driver100 - you drove through Connecticut and didn't stop by to say "eh?"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Just use the airport designator CVG and then your bags can end up at CDG - Paris ;)
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    nyccarguy said:
    @driver100 - you drove through Connecticut and didn't stop by to say "eh?"

He did, but you weren't home! :worried: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @driver100 said:

"I am going to take a different route to get here next time........can I get here via New York, that's fairly easy?"

Driver, that's like me saying, "...I'm going to take the "scenic route" next time I visit my brother in Ponte Vedra - can I get there via Texas?..."

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Reminds me of the first time I heard "You can't get there from here"

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    Is this what I think it is?

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/5308682074.html

Looks to be an offer to reprogram your VW back to it's non-compliance mode. You had to know that shady characters would come out of the woodwork.

Or am I wrong?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Looks to be an offer to reprogram your VW back to it's non-compliance mode. You had to know that shady characters would come out of the woodwork.

Or am I wrong?

I checked and it says the post was flagged for removal.........I guess shady characters have come out of the woodwork.

I know someone who says if their diesel Jetta is set back and it loses power they will find a way to get the power back.

• Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100 said:

"I am going to take a different route to get here next time........can I get here via New York, that's fairly easy?"

Driver, that's like me saying, "...I'm going to take the "scenic route" next time I visit my brother in Ponte Vedra - can I get there via Texas?..."

I can't go to Ponte Vedra either....too hard to spell.

Nyc....next time I think I am in Connecticut I will let you know.....though I could really be in Cincinatti.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    @driver100 said:

I can't go to Ponte Vedra either....too hard to spell. Nyc....next time I think I am in Connecticut I will let you know.....though I could really be in Cincinatti.
    That's the problem with those Canadian GPS systems - once the car leaves Canada, the GPS can only "approximate" where you are, but it is "dead on" when it comes to telling you where you've been.

That's how you thought you were in Connecticut when in reality you were sitting in you car outside you motel in Cincinnati.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    mako1a said:

You gotta get the diction down: "Yah cahn't get thayaaah from heyaaah."
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

Or am I wrong?

This is why the VW/Audi diesel problem needs to be fixed in a way that is tamper proof.
    We deserve clean air.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Read today that this is the 50th anniversary of the 1965 Northeast blackout. My memory of that is changing the channel on the TV, the lights going out and my parents being mad at me for a few minutes. I didn't get to touch the TV much back then, so it seemed like a double whammy.
    And it was  40 years ago today (11/10) that the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. 

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

My memory of that is changing the channel on the TV, the lights going out and my parents being mad at me for a few minutes. I didn't get to touch the TV much back then, so it seemed like a double whammy.

Edmund Fitgerald by Gord Lightfoot

(Canadian singer) :p

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    robr2 said:

mako1a said:

I got lost in New Orleans once and was told to "go to the dead end and don't go nowhere's else".

Well, yeah...
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Should we be talking about shipwrecks in a week that has a Friday the 13th in it? :o

BTW, got my new lens and I love it. Now if it will stop raining, I can get out and get some pics of the cars around here that make me go hmmmm
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    stever said:

robr2 said:

mako1a said:

I got lost in New Orleans once and was told to "go to the dead end and don't go nowhere's else".

Well, yeah...
    I was getting directions to a rifle match from a guy in York, PA when I was 18 and he told me to "go down that road and turn after you see the swimming pool that's half-filled"

The above ground pool had been removed when I got there, so I guess it was really half-empty. I got to the match AND clarified an idiom at the same time B)
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Wow - thanks for the Jim Ellison material, roadburner. Mixed my Edmunds-ites up. Sort of like forgetting ta take your medicine. Or forgetting that there's life east of St.Louis.

Just kidding. From the Wild, Wild West in Dodge City, KS. :p

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    robr2 said:

» show previous quotes

It was in New England that I first heard that so yeah you got it exactly right.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    GG - hope the cruise treats you well. I only ever went on 1 cruise and it was from Bayonne in December. It was awful. The seas were so rough, I was seasick the whole time.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ah yes, the "Witch of November". The Great Lakes can get pretty ferocious that time of year. Not what you'd expect from a "lake".
    driver100 said:

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498

Ah yes, the "Witch of November". The Great Lakes can get pretty ferocious that time of year. Not what you'd expect from a "lake".

driver100 said:

A hauntedly good song.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hard to write a song about an ore boat, with no mention of "baby, baby" and "you treat me so bad". On the other hand, it is a song about breaking up, in a macabre sort of way. I guess those iron ore pellets end up in automobile factories, among other places.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    qbrozen said:

GG - hope the cruise treats you well. I only ever went on 1 cruise and it was from Bayonne in December. It was awful. The seas were so rough, I was seasick the whole time.

My wife and I were stuck on the Norwegian Gem during Hurricane Sandy. Four extra days, because the NY port was closed. That was some rough water!! At least they comped wine with dinner!

Most cruisers will tell you it is a little rough out of NYC or Bayonne.

GG enjoy the cruise I'm sure the new RCI ship is amazing.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

Hard to write a song about an ore boat, with no mention of "baby, baby" and "you treat me so bad". On the other hand, it is a song about breaking up, in a macabre sort of way.

LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Read today that this is the 50th anniversary of the 1965 Northeast blackout. My memory of that is changing the channel on the TV, the lights going out and my parents being mad at me for a few minutes. I didn't get to touch the TV much back then, so it seemed like a double whammy.
    Edmund Fitgerald by Gord Lightfoot (Canadian singer) :p
    Yeah but get out in the middle of those lakes and you couldn't tell it from the open ocean. 

And since we are also discussing cruises did you know that their are cruise lines that run cruises on the Great Lakes?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2015
    People surf on the big lake (and probably the minor ones too). I'd sold off my dry suit by the time we left Boise for the UP, so I never ventured out onto the lake to paddle. I think I went swimming in it twice in four years even though we were just two blocks from the beach - too durn cold.

Marinetraffic.com is a good site to keep track of the ore boats (hey, we can follow GG). And the Soo Locks web cam is fun too. Lovely day there today. :D
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

There was an urban myth which grew out of that blackout, about a really large spike in births 9 months later. I was disappointed when I learned it was only a myth, there was no spike in births, not even a small one.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    My Homelink doesn't work on Florida garage....worked last year and at home. It is supposed to go amber first. I tried for an hour, then Icalled Homelink and the tried for an hour, fellow in Tucson AZ. Now I am being escaladed up to next level. Been on hold for 15 minutes. I may have to go to dealer.
    I have been pressing buttons for almost 2 hours!

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    You obviously broke the button from overuse.

You sure it isn't the opener itself? I'm assuming the one in the Passat still works?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    My Homelink doesn't work on Florida garage....worked last year and at home. It is supposed to go amber first. I tried for an hour, then Icalled Homelink and the tried for an hour, fellow in Tucson AZ. Now I am being escaladed up to next level. Been on hold for 15 minutes. I may have to go to dealer. I have been pressing buttons for almost 2 hours!
    So you are telling us that you "traded" the Mercedes for an "Escalade?"  Why would you do that over a minor problem with your homelink system? :worried: 

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

My Homelink doesn't work on Florida garage....worked last year and at home. It is supposed to go amber first. I tried for an hour, then Icalled Homelink and the tried for an hour, fellow in Tucson AZ. Now I am being escaladed up to next level. Been on hold for 15 minutes. I may have to go to dealer.
    I have been pressing buttons for almost 2 hours!

So you are telling us that you "traded" the Mercedes for an "Escalade?"  Why would you do that over a minor problem with your homelink system? :worried: 

We've certainly traded cars for reasons just as silly.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited November 2015
    driver100 said:
    My Homelink doesn't work on Florida garage....worked last year and at home. It is supposed to go amber first. I tried for an hour, then Icalled Homelink and the tried for an hour, fellow in Tucson AZ. Now I am being escaladed up to next level. Been on hold for 15 minutes. I may have to go to dealer. I have been pressing buttons for almost 2 hours!
    Hold the two outer homelink buttons down until the amber lights flash - that will clear the memory.  Then, while holding down the specific link button on the mirror that you want to control your garage door opener with, place the transmitter next to the mirror and press it, release it, press it, release it and repeat that about ten times until the Amber light on the mirror flashes.  That should set the memory.  If it doesn't, it's not the car that's at fault.  Mercedes may have to send a tech out to sync your car to the garage opener's antenna.

See if my way works first.  When you get back to Toronto, you will have to sync your garage door motor again to the car.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    abacomike said:

andres3 said:

According to Fox News Channel:

VW announced that it found an "internal problem" affecting 800,000 additional vehicles for excess carbon dioxide emissions but did not indicate which vehicles were affected.  I would think these vehicles are gasoline powered since it is CO2 emissions that are involved.

Further, VW stated it would cost 2 billion dollars to correct the problem.  I am starting to wonder what the next surprise announcement is going to involve.  Not good for VW - it keeps getting worse! :worried: 
    This is hitting closer to home, so I checked and the Passat has a 2.5 litre engine. The 1.4 l is in very small models;

Tuesday’s findings over carbon dioxide emissions, and petrol-fuelled cars, are understood to involve smaller 1.4-litre engines, mostly in the VW Polo and Golf, as well some Seat and Skoda cars, and the Audi A1 and A3.

A change in the CO2 emissions of the vehicles would also affect their fuel economy, VW admitted. "It was established that the CO2 levels and thus the fuel consumption figures for some models were set too low during the CO2 certification process," the company said.

The company said it would “endeavour to clarify the further course of action as quickly as possible and ensure the correct CO2 classification for the vehicles affected” with the responsible authorities.

And, of course, the usuall blah blah blah,

“The board of management of Volkswagen deeply regrets this situation and wishes to underscore its determination to systematically continue along the present path of clarification and transparency,” it added.

Why don't they just say we got caught cheating our customers!

Unless a customer considered emissions in the purchase of their vehicle, I don't see the customer being cheated.

I know I'm going to regret responding to this post, but as I have said before, "...sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do...!

Andres, when you make statements like, "...Unless a customer considered emissions in the purchase of their vehicle, I don't see the customer being cheated...", do you ever look carefully or reread your statement before posting it?  Only someone who has only one way of looking at things or is short-sighted would make a comment like that!

Think about this for awhile:

I buy a Mercedes-Benz because of the luxury, handling, technology and comfort.  I then find out that my fuel economy is 25% worse than the EPA estimate because Mercedes-Benz purposely under-reported CO2 emissions by 30%.  Would I feel cheated even though I did not buy the Mercedes-Benz for reasons of fuel economy or emissions?  You're "darn" right I would feel I was cheated!

I buy a new refrigerator for more interior space for food and the convenience of a side-by-side format so I don't have to bend to see what's in the freezer.  I find out a month later that my electric bill is 18% higher than in previous months.  The only change in use is the new refrigerator.  I check the label and it has an energy saver rating of 87.  I call the manufacturer and find out the refrigerator I bought actually has a rating of 53, but the labels were misprinted.  Do I feel cheated even though I did not buy the appliance for the energy savings I would experience?  You're " darn" right I would feel cheated!

Are you starting to understand why your statement is thoughtless and short-sighted?

If you don't see that, then all is lost by my "teaching lesson" for the day! :angry: 

You are not comparing apples to apples, but oranges to apples. In my examples the apples are free to the customer, while in yours they cost money. If my mileage drops 1% or my performance .1 seconds to 60 MPH from 0 MPH, you are darn right I'd be livid at the manufacturer. However, if owners do nothing to alter the vehicles, then the cost to the owner's is zero for VW's transgressions. Unless of course, you can prove you died early from lung failure due to that TDI motor spewing fumes. I don't think anyone will be able to prove that.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I GIVE UP!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    On newer door openers, you have to push the learn button on the unit first, then the button on the car.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    stickguy said:
    On newer door openers, you have to push the learn button on the unit first, then the button on the car.
    Yes, but driver's homelink was already set to his St. Pete garage door opener.  That's why he needs to completely reset his homelink.  It's obvious that his memory was corrupted.  (The car's memory, not driver's memory - at least that's my hypothesis).

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Sent out a couple of internet requests for quotes. No response from anyone for the one sent yesterday.
    Got a response on the second one, different dealer, that they will get back to me with an number.
    We'll see.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Sent out a couple of internet requests for quotes. No response from anyone for the one sent yesterday. Got a response on the second one, different dealer, that they will get back to me with an number. We'll see.
    It'll happen - you are in the market at the right time.  Just be patient and stick to your numbers.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Sent out a couple of internet requests for quotes. No response from anyone for the one sent yesterday.
    Got a response on the second one, different dealer, that they will get back to me with an number.
    We'll see.

Sorry explorerx4 I forget what car you're shopping. How did you send out your request for quotes, Edmunds or another system?

I used Edmunds for my specific car and was getting "come on down" emails for weeks after I already bought.

• Options
    oldfarmer50 - are you diggin' your '15 Mustang GT? Did you opt for the automatic or stick? Color?

• Options
    driver100 said:

dino001 said:

andres3 said:

Unless a customer considered emissions in the purchase of their vehicle, I don't see the customer being cheated.

I have to disagree. Anytime, any false statement is deliberately advanced as a part of a contract by one party, it is a deceiptful breach, regardless of original motives of the ocher party. A label stating so-and-so on a product is such, period.

If somebody sells me bologna as ham, pricing it as ham, they cheated, regardless whether I may actually like that bologna even more than ham. I was buying and paying for ham.
    dino001 said:

andres3 said:

I have to disagree. Anytime, any false statement is deliberately advanced as a part of a contract by one party, it is a deceiptful breach, regardless of original motives of the ocher party. A label stating so-and-so on a product is such, period.

If somebody sells me bologna as ham, pricing it as ham, they cheated, regardless whether I may actually like that bologna even more than ham. I was buying and paying for ham.
    Exactly....right on dino!
    I can't disagree with Dino's statement. VW for sure pulled a fast one. I just know that I'd be MUCH MORE angered if they were lying about gas mileage or HP than the current lie about emissions. The goodwill gesture they are putting forth is an excellent "good-faith" first step that goes a long way to establishing some trust. Still waiting for that $500 gift card towards a Chrysler product and $500 Visa Card from Chrysler for ever selling the Neon to people.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @oldfarmer,
    Looking for an F150, but taking my time, wife and I have looked at a lot of them.
    May not end up buying anything, but most likely a 2015, if I do.
    However, the quotes I asked for are for 2014's.
    If I don't like the numbers, I'll just cross them off the list, but they are not your average trucks, which is probably why they haven't sold in 2 years.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    well, what about your $2.50 card for Rite Aid?

• Options
    andres3 said:
    I have to disagree. Anytime, any false statement is deliberately advanced as a part of a contract by one party, it is a deceiptful breach, regardless of original motives of the ocher party. A label stating so-and-so on a product is such, period. If somebody sells me bologna as ham, pricing it as ham, they cheated, regardless whether I may actually like that bologna even more than ham. I was buying and paying for ham.
    I have to disagree. Anytime, any false statement is deliberately advanced as a part of a contract by one party, it is a deceiptful breach, regardless of original motives of the ocher party. A label stating so-and-so on a product is such, period. If somebody sells me bologna as ham, pricing it as ham, they cheated, regardless whether I may actually like that bologna even more than ham. I was buying and paying for ham.
    I can't disagree with Dino's statement. VW for sure pulled a fast one. I just know that I'd be MUCH MORE angered if they were lying about gas mileage or HP than the current lie about emissions. The goodwill gesture they are putting forth is an excellent "good-faith" first step that goes a long way to establishing some trust. Still waiting for that $500 gift card towards a Chrysler product and $500 Visa Card from Chrysler for ever selling the Neon to people.
    WHEN THEY LIED ABOUT EMISSIONS, THEY ALSO LIED ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY AND HORSEPOWER!!!  How do you think VW got emissions down to EPA specs?  They put in a chip that changes horsepower, fuel economy to meet EPA requirements.  Once the chip puts the engine on normal operation after the EPA test, horsepower goes up, fuel economy goes up, but emissions are 10-40 times the allowable level.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited November 2015
    WHEN THEY LIED ABOUT EMISSIONS, THEY ALSO LIED ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY AND HORSEPOWER!!! How do you think VW got emissions down to EPA specs? They put in a chip that changes horsepower, fuel economy to meet EPA requirements. Once the chip puts the engine on normal operation after the EPA test, horsepower goes up, fuel economy goes up, but emissions are 10-40 times the allowable level.

Does this make you feel...dirty? Open-ended question for anybody and everybody. Don't hold back.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    I disagree. HP? Who cares? It still accelerates at the same pace as when you test drove it. Mileage? Well, depends on how much. In Hyundai's case, the difference was so minor, it was hardly noticed by the general public, and it seems to have had no impact on resale. The RX8 with its overstated HP saw the same effect, which is to say nearly no effect. And neither of those cases made any impact on the dealers like this VW debacle has.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    abacomike said:

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

andres3 said:

dino001 said:

andres3 said:

WHEN THEY LIED ABOUT EMISSIONS, THEY ALSO LIED ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY AND HORSEPOWER!!!  How do you think VW got emissions down to EPA specs?  They put in a chip that changes horsepower, fuel economy to meet EPA requirements.  Once the chip puts the engine on normal operation after the EPA test, horsepower goes up, fuel economy goes up, but emissions are 10-40 times the allowable level.

OK! I surrender, I see your point of view now, and as an affected partial owner (wife drives it) of a recent TDI vehicle that falls in the scam, it's in my best interest for VW to cough up as much dough as possible to customers. That means coughing up as little as possible to the EPA as I want it to go to customers. Sometimes I think the only thing gov't entities are interested in is the almighty dollar though, and somehow thing many at the EPA don't give a hoot about clean air and would rather pocket a big fine from VW.

I know the CA DMV will take your registration payment and allow you to "defer" your smog check an indefinite unwritten amount of time. You can't be a day late with the money or penalties will be imposed, but it's OK if you are late with the Smog certificate.