Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    What a disappointment!

I went over to the little Ford store about 3 miles down the road to see if they had a 15' I could at least sit in. (Ford website listed 1 2.3L turbo in stock).

No dice. Salesman in the totally empty showroom said they wouldn't arrive for a month and then he'd only have one or two available. Said ordering would be no problem but would take 8 weeks. Seemed strangely unconcerned if I bought something or not (had this same experience last time I visited this dealer). I don 't like high pressure but this guy seemed like he was on Valium. He didn't even ask about my trade or even look at my Eclipse which was parked just outside the door.

As I said, the showroom was empty, no customers except me and only one person other than me (a salesman I'm guessing) who sat at a little cafe table among the cars and played with his phone. I think this was the same guy GG saw at Lincoln. I wonder how they stay in business?

I had to almost ask the sales guy to take my info and he wouldn't have even got my email if I didn't volunteer it. Total 180 from the NJ dealer I had contacted.

So in the end I got some small questions answered which was helpful but I'm left still dreaming instead of buying. He said he'll contact me when something testable comes in.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Costco here is down to $2.83.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    I paid $3.38 for PUG Costco Friday night. But, this am was up to $3.44. Still, at least .15/gal less expensive than my usual stations.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

What a disappointment!

I went over to the little Ford store about 3 miles down the road to see if they had a 15' I could at least sit in. (Ford website listed 1 2.3L turbo in stock).

No dice. Salesman in the totally empty showroom said they wouldn't arrive for a month and then he'd only have one or two available. Said ordering would be no problem but would take 8 weeks. Seemed strangely unconcerned if I bought something or not (had this same experience last time I visited this dealer). I don 't like high pressure but this guy seemed like he was on Valium. He didn't even ask about my trade or even look at my Eclipse which was parked just outside the door.

As I said, the showroom was empty, no customers except me and only one person other than me (a salesman I'm guessing) who sat at a little cafe table among the cars and played with his phone. I think this was the same guy GG saw at Lincoln. I wonder how they stay in business?

I had to almost ask the sales guy to take my info and he wouldn't have even got my email if I didn't volunteer it. Total 180 from the NJ dealer I had contacted.

So in the end I got some small questions answered which was helpful but I'm left still dreaming instead of buying. He said he'll contact me when something testable comes in.

I still remember looking to buy my first new car back in 1982. I stopped by the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to check out the new and hot(for the time)Capri 5.0 HO V8. The sixtyish salesmen informed me that due to the Capri's poor gas mileage not many people would want one- so they weren't ordering any. Moron...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    abacomike said:

@driver100:

"Mike, my salesman originally said my car would be in mid October, and now by the end of October. Your timeline sounds about right, and I guess they leave the actual release date flexible depending on the inventory of 2014s left."

Yes, that is correct.  I got a call from the salesman who delivers all my new cars this morning.  He verified the fact that MB will not be releasing the 2015 E Class cars until existing/remaining 2014's on dealer lots reduces by 75%.

So the last week of October should be when the 2015's will be released.  I am in no particular hurry to trade my car in at this point.  

If I had to order another E400 at this time, I think I would order it with the Designo red leather and the Palladium Silver.  It costs about $2700 more over and above the black leather.

You are leaving for Tampa on or about November 7th - am I correct?  You should be getting your new E400 just in time for your yearly migration south.

Perhaps this year, we can get a chance to spend some time together.  I would be thrilled to spend a few nights up by you - but it would cost you a nice dinner for the pleasure of my royal company!

Last week in October is cutting it close......I know they will show me the controls etc. but I'll probably have some questions. But, I guess as long as I can figure out how to work the GPS and the media centre I'll be OK.

I tried to look for Designo Red leather upholstery but can't find it. I tried to build a 2015 but I can't even do that, they must really want to sell off 2014s. Actually, they are getting smarter about selling off last years models.

My 2012 535 is due for an oil change in about 3000 miles. It has 45K miles on it, oil should be done at 48K. They probably go over the car. Do you think I should get it done or leave it for Mercedes to do.? If they did find something that should have been done would I have to disclose it? Say a major alignment or something.

We will definitely plan on getting together, even half way would be good. I think I checked and it is about 3 1/2 hours from St Petes to Miami. I'd come that way but we would have to combine it with something to see (to get my wife to go...doesn't really like long car trips), and a place to stay that is pet friendly, for Gigi. A professional tennis match would work and Indian Wells is March 9 2015. We'll work something out! Life is too short not to give it a try, maybe then my wife will know my Edmunds buddies are not just imaginary cyber friends.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    wait, you drive from Toronto to St. Petes, but she won't drive 3 hours because it is "too far"?

to answer your question, no, don't do anything. sounds like you won't come close to 3K more miles. So give it to the dealer as is, and let them take care of it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@driver100:

"We will definitely plan on getting together, even half way would be good. I think I checked and it is about 3 1/2 hours from St Petes to Miami. I'd come that way but we would have to combine it with something to see (to get my wife to go...doesn't really like long car trips), and a place to stay that is pet friendly, for Gigi. A professional tennis match would work and Indian Wells is March 9 2015. We'll work something out! Life is too short not to give it a try, maybe then my wife will know my Edmunds buddies are not just imaginary cyber friends."

When I lived in Palm Desert, CA, I had an apartment that was 1-1/2 miles from the tennis center in Indian Wells. I had 2nd tier center seats for all the matches.  The last finals match I saw there was Boris Becker (he lost).  He was an exciting tennis player to watch in action.

BTW, I live in far northern Broward County, or about 45-50 miles north of Miami.  I made it from St. Pete to my condo in 3 hours flat.  It's I-75 Soith to Naples area and then right across Alligator Alley to the Sawgrass Expressway.  No traffic lights from St. Pete to 2 blocks from where I live. 

An alternate route would be I-4 to the Turnpike and then straight south to a block from my condo.

They just opened a new hotel about 2 miles from me - I think they accept pets.  There are quite a few POI's in the area.  We have the largest indoor Mills Shopping Center here as well (Sawgrass Mills).  It is the second most visited POI in Florida, just behind Disney World.

I think the Key Biscayne Tennis Tournament is sometime in February or March.

Funny you should mention the scheduled oil change on the 535ix.  Mine is due in November as well if I keep the CLS.

As for getting familiar with the GPS and other features on the E400, you can go into your MB dealership right now and have your salesman go over everything in a 2014 E Class - the cars are identical except for the engine, retracting outside mirrors, surround view cameras and the new Accident Prevention System.  So you can learn about the GPS, voice activation, Bluetooth, 6-disk changer, Logic 7 sound system, power seat operation, etc.  you sure have the time, so why not take advantage now so you can get ahead of the learning curve.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited October 2014

@driver100:

Just got off the phone with Mercedes Benz Consumer Affairs.  I asked the representative if he had any updated info on the date of release for the 2015 E Class sedan from the port.  He stated that the last he heard was late October to early November.  

He was kind enough to take my phone number and said he would do some investigating and research tomorrow and would call me as soon as he had any updated information and/or details.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    @oldfarmer, You saw it on the internet, so it must be true? :)
    The '15 Mustang is just getting released. I was at a Ford dealer today and I didn't see any.
    They did have all the '14 F-150's lined up out front.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited October 2014
    I am looking for recommendations for a DVR to record from my OTA antenna for digital TV. I can't use my old style VCR. I know a couple of you are experts on TV/theater systems, so hopefully you can recommend a low cost solution for a bedroom TV. I am confused because a lot of boxes I see are for home security systems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    stickguy said:

wait, you drive from Toronto to St. Petes, but she won't drive 3 hours because it is "too far"?

to answer your question, no, don't do anything. sounds like you won't come close to 3K more miles. So give it to the dealer as is, and let them take care of it.

Getting from Toronto to St Petes is a necessity, so my wife has to do it. This weekend we drive 2 1/2 hours each way to go to her Mother's 102nd birthday. She doesn't like that drive, but of course wouldn't miss the party.

We have friends and the wife flies to Florida from Toronto, and her husband drives, so they will have a car there. Same on the way back....they say it saves their marriage.

I value your opinion about the oil change.....I think they would do it early if I said I was driving to Florida (they did it last year), but, it may cause more problems than it solves.

• Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100:

"We will definitely plan on getting together, even half way would be good. I think I checked and it is about 3 1/2 hours from St Petes to Miami. I'd come that way but we would have to combine it with something to see (to get my wife to go...doesn't really like long car trips), and a place to stay that is pet friendly, for Gigi. A professional tennis match would work and Indian Wells is March 9 2015. We'll work something out! Life is too short not to give it a try, maybe then my wife will know my Edmunds buddies are not just imaginary cyber friends."

When I lived in Palm Desert, CA, I had an apartment that was 1-1/2 miles from the tennis center in Indian Wells. I had 2nd tier center seats for all the matches.  The last finals match I saw there was Boris Becker (he lost).  He was an exciting tennis player to watch in action.

BTW, I live in far northern Broward County, or about 45-50 miles north of Miami.  I made it from St. Pete to my condo in 3 hours flat.  It's I-75 Soith to Naples area and then right across Alligator Alley to the Sawgrass Expressway.  No traffic lights from St. Pete to 2 blocks from where I live. 

An alternate route would be I-4 to the Turnpike and then straight south to a block from my condo.

They just opened a new hotel about 2 miles from me - I think they accept pets.  There are quite a few POI's in the area.  We have the largest indoor Mills Shopping Center here as well (Sawgrass Mills).  It is the second most visited POI in Florida, just behind Disney World.

I think the Key Biscayne Tennis Tournament is sometime in February or March.

Funny you should mention the scheduled oil change on the 535ix.  Mine is due in November as well if I keep the CLS.

As for getting familiar with the GPS and other features on the E400, you can go into your MB dealership right now and have your salesman go over everything in a 2014 E Class - the cars are identical except for the engine, retracting outside mirrors, surround view cameras and the new Accident Prevention System.  So you can learn about the GPS, voice activation, Bluetooth, 6-disk changer, Logic 7 sound system, power seat operation, etc.  you sure have the time, so why not take advantage now so you can get ahead of the learning curve.

Mike, yes it is Key Biscayne - The Sony Open and they play toward the end of March. I am going to try to get down there before that...it would mean a long drive to Miami and back, and then a long drive home a week or two after. I don't mind driving...I would almost rather drive than fly....especially these days.....but, my wife thinks it is like down time. She offers to drive part way on these trips but I would rather drive than be a passenger.....and she is good with that.

I am going to definitely try to find a way to get that way. It looks like Cape Coral, Fort Myers, Port Charlotte are about half way. That may be easier if we met in the middle if I could find something she would like to go to. One year we stopped in Naples, had lunch, got to Homesead, and then went to Key West. On the way we went through alligator alley but came back along I-75.

I am going to try to make this happen!

Funny your oil change is at the same time. Your case is easier though....the same dealer will do it anyway. In my case the Mercedes dealer has to drive the car to Mercedes. Or leave it for the next buyer to do it...guess that is what they would do.

I like that idea of going in early. I will set that up soon. I hope it doesn't come in November. I won't have much time to put the music into the hard drive. Last week in October wouldn't be too bad. BMW wanted to charge me for each month I kept my trade in....it is actually better to be putting more miles on the bmw than the new one....saving a few miles on the odometer.

I saved the information you gave me so I can go over it again once we are there.

• Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100:

Just got off the phone with Mercedes Benz Consumer Affairs.  I asked the representative if he had any updated info on the date of release for the 2015 E Class sedan from the port.  He stated that the last he heard was late October to early November.  

He was kind enough to take my phone number and said he would do some investigating and research tomorrow and would call me as soon as he had any updated information and/or details.

Thanks for that information...that's really helpful. I think I will wait before going in for a lesson or I'll forget it. I did mark on my calendar to get a lesson though if the car isn't in by October 22nd.

Let me know if they find out more.

• Options

@driver100:

"Thanks for that information...that's really helpful. I think I will wait before going in for a lesson or I'll forget it. I did mark on my calendar to get a lesson though if the car isn't in by October 22nd.

Let me know if they find out more."

OKIEDOKIE!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    abacomike said:

It's the same with airline tickets or hotel rooms.  

I enjoy those exposes on TV like "60 Minutes" where they show you the seating plan on a Boeing 737 and what each passenger paid for their seat.  It is rare to see more than a few seats where passengers paid the same amount.  Same for hotel rooms.

The reason for that is that they will price tickets and as the date of the flight gets closer they will adjust the price depending on how many tickets have been sold. If they are not selling at a rate that will sell out the flight they will lower the price, if they are selling a lot they will raise the price. same goes for hotels, cruise ships and the like.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options

I still remember looking to buy my first new car back in 1982. I stopped by the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to check out the new and hot(for the time)Capri 5.0 HO V8. The sixtyish salesmen informed me that due to the Capri's poor gas mileage not many people would want one- so they weren't ordering any. Moron...

IIRC that was not long after Ford came out with a redesigned Mustang and the Capri was the Mercury version. Ford had figured that due to gas prices and shortages just prior to the redesign that at least 50% would be 4 cylinders. So don't be so fast to blame the salesman.

• Options
    Got something in the mail from the Chrysler dealer that I have been taking the ragtop to for maintenance. It said that they have had some people coming in looking for a good used Sebring Convertible. they were offering to buy my car for up to $1,000 over kelly Blue Book value, up to $9,000 off MSRP of a new Dodge or Chrysler and as low as 0% financing.

Disclaimer; customers interested in your car are figments of our imagination. $1,000 over KBB valuation only applies to cars in showroom new condition that have only been driven less than 5,000 miles per year. $9,000 off MSRP applies only to the car that fell off the truck while being delivered, sold as is with no warranties express or implied. 0.00 % financing available only to well qualified buyers with FICO scores over 5 million. Side effects include nausea, dizziness, hair growth, hair loss and in rare cases death. Consult your voodoo priest before purchase. Your mileage may vary, look both ways before you cross the street. Offer only available to legal residents of Narnia. See the mens room attendant for details.

• Options
    edited October 2014

IIRC that was not long after Ford came out with a redesigned Mustang and the Capri was the Mercury version. Ford had figured that due to gas prices and shortages just prior to the redesign that at least 50% would be 4 cylinders. So don't be so fast to blame the salesman.

Don't blame the salesman? At the same time that I talked to that idiot my nearest Ford dealer was selling every 5.0 they could get. A few other Ford dealers had waiting lists. And then here's this imbecile who doesn't want to even sell one V8.
    The four cylinder take rate projection that you are referring to was made when the Fox body Mustang was introduced in 1979. The V8 offered at launch was a weak-kneed 4.2 liter boat anchor. Ford was pushing the base 2.3 Pinto I4 to penny pinchers and the turbo 2.3 I4 to enthusiasts. And even if the 1982 V8 take rate was 50% any dealer with a grain of common sense would have close to the same number of V8s and I4s.
    The introduction of the 5.0 H.O. was BIG news in 1982 and that old coot at the L-M dealer was so clueless he would have needed a proctologist to find his head. It was obvious to me that his preferred clientele consisted of 5' tall blue haired ladies and geezers wearing Ban-Lon slacks with white belts and matching shoes.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

@snakeweasel‌;

SPEAKING OF AIRLINE TICKETS...

I was surfing the web for round trip tickets from Jacksonville to Palm Springs over the weekend.  Due to the fact that the airlines have been increasing the number of seats on their flights, thus reducing leg room, I have all but eliminated the option of flying coach.  I just turned 70 years old last Friday and with the medical problems I have (diabetes, deep vein thrombosis, bad back and severe loss of feeling in my feet and ankles due to the diabetes and DVT), it is a very uncomfortable 6-7 hours in the air with stops.  Getting to the point here, American Airlines has the most direct flights through DFW directly into PSP.  Round trip first class is over $2000, as it is with United and most other airlines.

I flew coach several times from FLL to PSP, but the pain in my legs cramped up pretty bad.  It is very dangerous to sit in one cramped position for 3 hours with my leg clotting problem, so first class seating is almost a necessity for me.  But the pricing on those seats is pretty steep.  I've seen differential pricing on those seats as well.

I might just use a travel agent this time to book the flights as they have the wherewithal to sift through the multitude of seat availability, etc.

Supply and demand is what determines the pricing, to be sure as you mentioned in your post, Snake.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

Don't blame the salesman? At the same time that I talked to that idiot my nearest Ford dealer was selling every 5.0 they could get. A few other Ford dealers had waiting lists. And then here's this imbecile who doesn't want to even sell one V8.
    The four cylinder take rate projection that you are referring to was made when the Fox body Mustang was introduced in 1979. The V8 offered at launch was a weak-kneed 4.2 liter boat anchor. Ford was pushing the base 2.3 Pinto I4 to penny pinchers and the turbo 2.3 I4 to enthusiasts. And even if the 1982 V8 take rate was 50% any dealer with a grain of common sense would have close to the same number of V8s and I4s.
    The introduction of the 5.0 H.O. was BIG news in 1982 and that old coot at the L-M dealer was so clueless he would have needed a proctologist to find his head. It was obvious to me that his preferred clientele consisted of 5' tall blue haired ladies and geezers wearing Ban-Lon slacks with white belts and matching shoes.
    What's wrong with Ban-lon slacks and white belts with matching shoes?

• Options
    abacomike said:

@snakeweasel‌;

SPEAKING OF AIRLINE TICKETS...

I was surfing the web for round trip tickets from Jacksonville to Palm Springs over the weekend.  Due to the fact that the airlines have been increasing the number of seats on their flights, thus reducing leg room, I have all but eliminated the option of flying coach.  I just turned 70 years old last Friday and with the medical problems I have (diabetes, deep vein thrombosis, bad back and severe loss of feeling in my feet and ankles due to the diabetes and DVT), it is a very uncomfortable 6-7 hours in the air with stops.  Getting to the point here, American Airlines has the most direct flights through DFW directly into PSP.  Round trip first class is over $2000, as it is with United and most other airlines.

I flew coach several times from FLL to PSP, but the pain in my legs cramped up pretty bad.  It is very dangerous to sit in one cramped position for 3 hours with my leg clotting problem, so first class seating is almost a necessity for me.  But the pricing on those seats is pretty steep.  I've seen differential pricing on those seats as well.

I might just use a travel agent this time to book the flights as they have the wherewithal to sift through the multitude of seat availability, etc.

Supply and demand is what determines the pricing, to be sure as you mentioned in your post, Snake.

Mike, did you try expedia? I just got a few flights under 8 hours, for under $550. One has one stop and the other 2 stops. Actually, stops are a good thing if you have circulation troubles. Personally, I don't like stop overs, but, on a long flight it can be pleasant to get off the plane and wander around in the airport a bit.

I could be wrong but I checked quickly.

In some cases seats are limited, 1 or 2 left.

Expedia Miami to Palm Springs

• Options
    I never used expedia before. works pretty good. Might have to try it next time I am booking (I usually use AAA and get what seems to me to be cheap flights)

Driver, you searched economy. I changed to 1st class, and AA had a flight stopping in Dallas for $1,245 RT. Not bad I guess.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I never used expedia before. works pretty good. Might have to try it next time I am booking (I usually use AAA and get what seems to me to be cheap flights)

Driver, you searched economy. I changed to 1st class, and AA had a flight stopping in Dallas for $1,245 RT. Not bad I guess.

I thought about that but I didn't see where you request 1st class. Expedia and similar sites (orbitz, cheap flights) are good to check first, then double check the airlines site...you may even do better and have more flexibility if you want to change your flight. This works really well with motels and car rental companies. Sometimes airlines have times not available to expedia too.

Also, google flights from Miami to Palm Springs because some airlines don't use middlemen like expedia. Flights from Tampa/St Petes to Buffalo can be as low under $300 return, using Southwest, which won't be posted on Expedia (I think).

If the flight has one or two stops Mike might not need 1st class...but, if he does you came up with a really good price.

• Options
    stickguy said:

One more thing! Using AAA may work better and may not. Sometimes agents just use airlines, hotels etc that give them the best commission. Occassionally they come up with a really good deal you can't find on your own. But, I would say, 9 times out of 10, if you do your own research you will come out way ahead. Another thing to consider is, do you actually like doing the leg work, errr, finger work yourself, or would you prefer to pay to let someone else do that.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @abacomike‌

HAPPY 70TH BIRTHDAY! CONGRATULATIONS!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

I am looking for recommendations for a DVR to record from my OTA antenna for digital TV. I can't use my old style VCR. I know a couple of you are experts on TV/theater systems, so hopefully you can recommend a low cost solution for a bedroom TV. I am confused because a lot of boxes I see are for home security systems.

Perhaps you should wait a while longer because Samsung is coming out with new Wi-fi technology that is 5 times faster than current systems that allow HD-movie downloads in 3 sec flat.

Read more at: http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/samsung-s-new-5-times-faster-wi-fi-will-allow-hd-movie-download-in-3-sec-flat-114101400512_1.html
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

imid...you don't want a VCR to record HD video, anyway. You'll be way disappointed with the results.

I told my son a few moths ago that he should round up his "geek" friends and come out with a PC specifically made to record like VCRs used to for those folks just like you who doesn't have, nor want, DVRs from Cable or Sat.

Low cost solution? Define low cost.

On the surface, you should be able to buy a low end PC with a tuner installed and with a huge hard drive. But, it's a bit kludgy to record, store and retrieve programs unless you know how to use Windows Media Player.

Short of that, get the cheapest Apple computer you can find, do the same only use iTunes to store the programs (still have to set the Apple computer to use a tuner and record at the times you're programs come on).

In short, it can be done.....just not easily.

The easier way to do it, although it costs a bit more money, is to get a Roku box, Amazon TV dongle, or Netflix through your DVD player or TV (if so equipped) and watch the programs you want through those services. That requires an internet connection, though and sort of defeats the purpose of going totally free via an OTA antenna.

I know more and more people who are doing just that, though. They're dumping Direct, Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, etc and going strictly through one of the WEB services for their TV viewing. Not a bad way to go.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited October 2014

There are a few choices out there- mostly in the $225-$400 range, which may be more than you want to spend for a bedroom system. The Philips HDR5710. seems to be well liked over on the AVS Forum. I probably would have gone with it when I bought my DVR had it been available.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    bwia said:

I am looking for recommendations for a DVR to record from my OTA antenna.

Perhaps you should wait a while longer
    I just need to record channel 7 over the air, e.g., so my wife can watch another channel that has a different program that she "can't miss seeing." My old VCR only records analogue so to my knowledge it won't work with just an antenna anymore. I'm keeping it on my living room TV with cable and recording in front of the cable box now that I've switched to digital, so it can only record the analogue channels, which are the only ones we ever need to record.

Prior to giving in to the switch to digital from Time Warner, I kept the regular cable. I did not want to mess with a box for tuning. I just used my TV's tuner to switch, quick and nice.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Does TW offer a DVR cable box? That's what I use.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited October 2014

bwia said:

I am looking for recommendations for a DVR to record from my OTA antenna.

Perhaps you should wait a while longer
    I just need to record channel 7 over the air, e.g., so my wife can watch another channel that has a different program that she "can't miss seeing." My old VCR only records analogue so to my knowledge it won't work with just an antenna anymore. I'm keeping it on my living room TV with cable and recording in front of the cable box now that I've switched to digital, so it can only record the analogue channels, which are the only ones we ever need to record.

Prior to giving in to the switch to digital from Time Warner, I kept the regular cable. I did not want to mess with a box for tuning. I just used my TV's tuner to switch, quick and nice.
    OK...you don't need anything remotely approaching what I originally suggested, then.

Go with RoadBurner's suggestion. Should work just fine for what you need.

Word of advice....never ask us home theater hobbyists how to do anything simple. We'll have you buying new cables, bi-amping, buying amps, pre-processors, etc just so you can watch one program that you want to record.

;)
  • Options
    Driver, I only ever dealt with the AAA agents for a group (school) trip, for which they were a godsend. I just go to the AAA web site. I find it works well.

might not matter as much for plane tickets (though I am fuzzy there), but I hate the sites were once you click, you are stuck. I prefer booking things (hotels and cars) that I can cancel late with no penalty. I also rarely book anything on late notice, so that doesn't matter to me.

I always run through one of the other travelocity type sites, and 1/2 the time the prices are higher than my AAA site. And I can walk to the AAA office if I want to yell at someone.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Worldwide decrease in demand for petroleum apparently.
    stickguy said:

a couple of stations (real gas and everything) near me are down to $2.85.9 now. Have not seen that in a while.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

You can watch your show on your laptop by logging in with your id:

https://video2.timewarnercable.com/

or get their app and watch it on your mobile device:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/twc-tv.html
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    robr2 said:

I just need to record channel 7 over the air, e.g., so my wife can watch another channel that has a different program that she "can't miss seeing."

You can watch your show on your laptop by logging in with your id:

https://video2.timewarnercable.com/
    /blockquote>

Apparently I have to have TW home internet to use the ability to
    access TV programs, selected TV programs, from elsewhere.
    I can't see that I can go back and watch a major network's TV
    program from one of our laptops.

• Options

I just need to record channel 7 over the air, e.g., so my wife can watch another channel that has a different program that she "can't miss seeing."
    OK...you don't need anything remotely approaching what I originally suggested, then.
    Go with RoadBurner's suggestion. Should work just fine for what you need.

Word of advice....never ask us home theater hobbyists how to do anything simple. We'll have you buying new cables, bi-amping, buying amps, pre-processors, etc just so you can watch one program that you want to record.
    ;).

These suggestions are helping me sort out what I may need to have. I see the cheaper boxes
    that have tuners that can receive over-the-air digital often use a USB memory stick or USB external hard drive to store the program. I have both of those. But a lot of the boxes sound like "crap" based on reviews on Amazon. Pricier units such as Phillips suggested by RR have a built in hard drive and often have multiple tuners.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited October 2014
    imid, ABC, NBC, CBS have sites on the internet where you can watch most shows. They lag behind a few days. We do that when we miss a program we wanted to see.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Probably your best bet would be the TIVO Roamio OTA

https://www.tivo.com/discover/antenna?gclid=CjwKEAjwk_OhBRD06abu3qSoxlwSJACt7sZ7A-QDqnzzsTX3XMPTTtlGJkFiR8cSsyi9__-ceurq0BoCt3vw_wcB

Problem is, that model is not available yet -- "coming soon". And any TIVO is going to require a $15 per month fee to TIVO.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Driver, I only ever dealt with the AAA agents for a group (school) trip, for which they were a godsend. I just go to the AAA web site. I find it works well.

might not matter as much for plane tickets (though I am fuzzy there), but I hate the sites were once you click, you are stuck. I prefer booking things (hotels and cars) that I can cancel late with no penalty. I also rarely book anything on late notice, so that doesn't matter to me.

I always run through one of the other travelocity type sites, and 1/2 the time the prices are higher than my AAA site. And I can walk to the AAA office if I want to yell at someone.

I understand stick, and no problem. The way to use expedia is to find the cheapest flights, and then go directly to the airline site. You can make changes when you buy from the airline. If you are using AAA just try expedia to compare, and confirm you got a good price.

Remember, some airlines don't use a middle man, so best to google your leaving airport and destination, and see if there is another airline that won't pay commissions to travel agents.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Apparently I have to have TW home internet to use the ability to
    access TV programs, selected TV programs, from elsewhere.
    I can't see that I can go back and watch a major network's TV
    program from one of our laptops.

Got it. I presumed you have internet from TWC. How do you get internet at home?
  • Options
    houdini1 said:

imid, ABC, NBC, CBS have sites on the internet where you can watch most shows. They lag behind a few days. We do that when we miss a program we wanted to see.

Good point houdini. Actually, that's not a bad way to go, either. Get a Google Chromecast dongle ($35), download ABC, NBC, ABC apps to your computer, phone, pad device and stream whatever programs you want to your TV.

That's the cheapest way to do it. The networks store their programs in their own server farm. If you have HBO, I think every series they've ever produced is available on HBO GO.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    edited October 2014

The '15 Mustang is just getting released. I was at a Ford dealer today and I didn't see any.

No, this dealer seems to be in love with Focus, Fusion and Escape. They have another lot down the road, maybe that's where they store them.

I looked at AutoTrader to get some comparison selling prices for cars like mine. Most were higher prices for more miles (good). Then I saw one at a used dealer for the same price with less than half my mileage (bad). Then I read the CarFax report:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?make=MIT&vin=44|-12|10|-26|98|-87|69|63|-93|-29|3|61|-1|-46|-50|125|109|108|111|-3|-9|-72|49|-39|&dealer_id=87009&car_id=382979764&partner=ATD_U

Must have been driven in the demo derby.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    WOW! That's an amazing carfax. Maybe it was Mr Magoo's car.

Anyway, on that Ford salesperson thing ... I think that's unfortunately very prevalent across the industry. They care about today's sale, not tomorrow's. You gotta find the right salesperson: one that has been there a long time and plans on staying a long time. That's the guy/gal who cares about future sales and not just what is going out the door TODAY.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    robr2 said:

Got it. I presumed you have internet from TWC. How do you get internet at home?

I have DSL from Cincinnati Bell. I also have a rare ground line as a home phone. I would keep it even if I moved to Time Warner for internet, which they tried hard to do when I finally allowed the switch to digital with a box. I hate TW so much for their multiple fee increases through the years that I really resist paying them any extra money. I will pay for DSL instead of Roadrunner with TW. Their treatment in this area is challenged for rudeness and non-caring fees only by Verizon's treatment when they had the local phone company before selling to Frontier.

• Options

No, this dealer seems to be in love with Focus, Fusion and Escape. They have another lot down the road, maybe that's where they store them.

I looked at AutoTrader to get some comparison selling prices for cars like mine. Most were higher prices for more miles (good). Then I saw one at a used dealer for the same price with less than half my mileage (bad). Then I read the CarFax report:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?make=MIT&vin=44|-12|10|-26|98|-87|69|63|-93|-29|3|61|-1|-46|-50|125|109|108|111|-3|-9|-72|49|-39|&dealer_id=87009&car_id=382979764&partner=ATD_U

Must have been driven in the demo derby.
    Wonder what thet guy pays for car insurance. Seems it was one of those cars used for insurance scams....sometimes there is an accident every month.
    Accident / Damage
    Accidents reported on: 10/15/2009, 10/16/2009, 06/10/2011, 04/17/2012, 05/01/2012, 08/30/2012, 11/01/2012 and 03/01/2013.
    Of course, the accidents were in New York so maybe the car got hit while it was parked on the street.

You come up with some good ones OF.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @driver100‌

Nope. By the looks of the towns where it was sold/registered/serviced, it never came within 2 hours of NYC.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@driver100‌

Nope. By the looks of the towns where it was sold/registered/serviced, it never came within 2 hours of NYC.

I guess all the New York damage reports meant New York State.

btw....all, I wrote to my MB assistant and asked if my wife and I could come in for the review of the new car on Monday Oct 20th, as we would like to leave for Florida on November 7th.

He wrote back and said it would be a good idea to go over the controls before the car came in, but closer to the date. He said the car will arrive on November 1st, and they should have it ready before we leave on the 7th. We'll do the review on the 28th, the week before the car arrives.

Now, I just hope there isn't a train derailment or something :'(

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited October 2014
    Lots of stuff going on.

Decided to go all in with my HVAC replacement. Getting new high efficiency gas furnace, A/C unit and water heater. Should get more savings from heating side than cooling.

In other news, a couple of years ago, I invested some money in our company. We are getting a new investor, so our current arrangement is getting cashed out.
    Got a really nice return on the investment last year, but now I'm going to end up with enough after taxes to buy a nice 3 series.
    Of course, visions of new cars are dancing though my head, but I'm going to pay off the Fusion, return the rest of the money I borrowed from our savings(plus some extra), and pretty much max out my 401k. Oh yeah, and set aside some money in case they let us invest in the new arrangement!
    I'll still have a chunk left over and we'll see what happens after that. Last time I paid off a car without having another car payment, I bought another car within a couple of months. My wife is worried, which is good. I like to keep her guessing. :)

One of my kids was here on a business trip to meet her boss. One thing they talked about was having a face to face in person once a month. That means she will be here once a month, or once every other month, if her boss goes to her office. Nice way for us to keep in touch. No hotel expense for the company while she is here makes it more doable.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

Lots of stuff going on.

Decided to go all in with my HVAC replacement. Getting new high efficiency gas furnace, A/C unit and water heater. Should get more savings from heating side than cooling.

In other news, a couple of years ago, I invested some money in our company. We are getting a new investor, so our current arrangement is getting cashed out.
    Got a really nice return on the investment last year, but now I'm going to end up with enough after taxes to buy a nice 3 series.
    Of course, visions of new cars are dancing though my head, but I'm going to pay off the Fusion, return the rest of the money I borrowed from our savings(plus some extra), and pretty much max out my 401k. Oh yeah, and set aside some money in case they let us invest in the new arrangement!
    I'll still have a chunk left over and we'll see what happens after that. Last time I paid off a car without having another car payment, I bought another car within a couple of months. My wife is worried, which is good. I like to keep her guessing. :)

One of my kids was here on a business trip to meet her boss. One thing they talked about was having a face to face in person once a month. That means she will be here once a month, or once every other month, if her boss goes to her office. Nice way for us to keep in touch. No hotel expense for the company while she is here makes it more doable.

Very good positive news explorer. Good luck with it all....might be a good time to buy some stock while the market is low. It is going to be a rocky time for the next few weeks.

• Options

@driver:

The 2015  E Class is scheduled for wholesale release middle of next week which means the cars should hit dealerships on or before October 26th

2021 Genesis G90