Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    edited May 2016
    jmonroe said:

abacomike said:

stever said:

haven't snarked about anyone driving a "Ford" in years now either. I may be slowly coming around.

I still dislike Ford because they built the Windsor 351 for years and still had a problem with timing gears disintegrating early, e.g., 60,000 mi. Said I'd never own another ford and I didn't except for one that I won in the contest. Even it had problems, bad strut, broken bracket on alternator, loose bolts on rear suspension, and more.

How long ago was this Windsor 351 issue in production?

Sounds like a "British" or "English" Ford product with the surname "Windsor"!   :D
    Mike why are you starting something like that? I'm sure you know that ain't correct.

The Windsor 351 was the Ford engine that Ford built in their Winsor Ontario Canadian plant. I remember back when I was in high school people thought the Winsor 351 was better than the Ford 351 that was built in Detroit just across the river from Ontario Canada. Now, 'imid' says what I heard in high school is wrong. It took a long damn time for this info to surface. :s

I'll bet 'driver' knows the whole story.

jmonroe

Not sure if I can help but car companies found it was an advantage to build cars in Canada. The Canadian dollar was worth about 70 cents then so labor was cheaper, and because of our universal health care system the car company didn't have to pay as much for health coverage. Canadian workers tended to be reliable, and the assembly lines were run efficiently.....cars had a good record for being put together well. Could be a different suppliers were used too.....will try to find out more later today.

Not sure if that helps. Ford, GM and Chrysler as well as many other car makers are making cars in Canada these days.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    nyccarguy said:

My Legacy is a 2015 and not affected by the recall.  The only problem I have with it is the car's power deficiency.  Maybe Subaru will issue a recall and retrofit a turbocharger. :p

If you had the 6 like I demanded when Mrs. j got her '12 Legacy you would be satisfied. She had no idea what a 6 was but I did and I had to go to Columbus OH to get it. The dealers around me had tons of 4's but no 6's with the options, other than the 6, that I wanted.

My car buying philosophy is if the car is offered with a larger engine, I get the larger engine.

You're free to drive her 6 anytime you want if you promise not to drive your 4 over a cliff. :(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Was up most of the night - thunder and lightning throughout the night and it is continuing this morning.  Heavy downpours and street flooding.  Supposed to continue through Sunday.  Welcome to an early rainy season.  :o

2021 Genesis G90

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    jmonroe said:

tjc78 said:

Like you I also had an early 09.  I was always being asked and complimented on it.  It got more attention than any car I've ever owned.   

TJ:

I got complements with my '09 too but not the '15.

I guess I should have kept the '09. Even Mrs, j liked that one better but I'm sure it was because of the color (Cabernet Red Pearl). She has told me several times that the '15 with the Empire State Gray color is an "old mans color". :@

jmonroe
    From what I've read the 09 was nice, but the 15 is much nicer in regard to ride and handling and as a car overall.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    @jmonroe
    I forgot we had the same color. I've always loved burgundy cars.

RE: Ford V8s.

The Cleveland was a completely different engine than the Windsor. It was wider, and as mentioned since it was designed pre-smog it had much better flowing heads. There were als0 302, 351M and 400 versions. It is also known as the "335" series.

The timing gear problem with the Windsors Imid mentioned was because some one who was brain dead decided to use nylon/plastic tipped gears on the cam and crank sprockets and they wore and chipped off causing the engine timing to be wrong. Combine this with the fact that the Windsor is an interference engine and you can see why it was a major problem. Some time in the mid 80s (I think 86) Ford wised up and went to all metal gears.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    nyccarguy said:

My Legacy is a 2015 and not affected by the recall.  The only problem I have with it is the car's power deficiency.  Maybe Subaru will issue a recall and retrofit a turbocharger. :p

There isn't much difference in power between your Legacy and my Accord. They both have CVTs. I find the Accord to be surprisingly quick for a 4 cylinder and rarely find it wanting for power. There are times, thou, I wish I had the V6, but not often. Does your Legacy feel somewhat bogged down because of the AWD? Granted, you spoiled yourself with your BMW. :)

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited May 2016
    'tjc78' said:

______________________________________________________________________________

When I bought my '75 Grand Prix in '77 it was burgundy with a white vinyl landau top. I constantly got complements with that car. It got to the point that I just considered it a way of life but other than Mike (which has to be some what discounted) and the Firestone guy, my '15 Genny is just an ordinary piece of sheet metal. :'(

jmonroe

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    @nyccarguy - here in CO, when I paid off the L300 and the ION, I got a title in the mail automatically about 30-45 days after making the last payment.

@breld, @tyguy - have either of you gotten a survey from CDOT? I got one a few days ago - 5 pages of questions about technology and transportation. Part of it has to do with in car technology (adaptive cruise, lane departure, automatic braking), part of it about autonomous cars, and part of it about 'smart' roads.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Reading about the 351 engine built in Windsor and later in Cleveland (can't make this stuff up). 351W has no relationship to the 351C engine.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/about/ford/ford-small-block-v8

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's raining, and I HAD to wash the car on my way to the gym at 6:30 in the morning! I thought about taking a photo to document it, but it was truly disgusting. It seems that every bird in the world decided to use my Versa hatch as their spot to drop. The roof, windshield, and hood were splattered to the point where there was no more than 6-8" between bombs in any direction. Side and rear windows and vertical surfaces were all streaked with oblique hits.

Between the bird, and the chipmunks chewing on my wiring harness, I'm ready to put up some kind of defensive shield around the driveway ;)
    'sds' said:
    From what I've read the 09 was nice, but the 15 is much nicer in regard to ride and handling and as a car overall.

I agree with what you said and I have had both so I otta know.

It's just gotta be the "old mans color". :'(

jmonroe

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You need to tarp it - put a big honking tarp on the ground, drive on top of it, pull it up and tie it off at the top. Will have to track down some photos - people actually do that out in California. They do lots of strange stuff in California. :D

What you really need is a big honking barn with a few garage doors. You'd have room to store your mowers and less grass to mow at the same time.
    Heh... I figure that introducing a couple of rat snakes into the chipmunk burrows might be an effective solution, but as a lot of folks tend to freak out when they see a snake, unless I could train them to stay at home, they might only be a temporary solution.

Perhaps owls, eh?
    Down here in FL, we have the same problem with bird droppings.  We have so many trees where birds nest and perch that at times my car looks like a flock of ducks found my car for target practice.  It's essential that those turds be removed from the paint surface ASAP to avoid acid eating into the clear coat.

2021 Genesis G90

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    PF_Flyer said:

It's raining, and I HAD to wash the car on my way to the gym at 6:30 in the morning! I thought about taking a photo to document it, but it was truly disgusting. It seems that every bird in the world decided to use my Versa hatch as their spot to drop. The roof, windshield, and hood were splattered to the point where there was no more than 6-8" between bombs in any direction. Side and rear windows and vertical surfaces were all streaked with oblique hits.

Between the bird, and the chipmunks chewing on my wiring harness, I'm ready to put up some kind of defensive shield around the driveway ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's known as a "simultaneous drop". American bombers used this technique over targets during WW II. B)
    edited May 2016
    Here we go - marmot protection at Mineral King. This guy skimped on the tarp though, I've seen some that leave none of the top showing. Keeps the ravens away from your wipers too.

'tjc78' said:
    The timing gear problem with the Windsors Imid mentioned was because some one who was brain dead decided to use nylon/plastic tipped gears on the cam and crank sprockets and they wore and chipped off causing the engine timing to be wrong.

I heard that the reason for the plastic tipped gears was to reduce the engine noise not so much as a cost reduction. In fact, manufacturing wise, using plastic might have even been more expensive given that more manufacturing steps and material are involved.

I was always amazed that the plastic held up as long as it did. In any case it was done and Ford wasn't the only manufacture to do this. Back in the mid 70's I helped my youngest brother replace his timing gears and timing chain on his Pontiac. I can't remember the year of the car or the engine size now but I definitely remember all the work involved to do it. Take out the radiator, fan blade, water pump, several brackets and I lost track of all the bolts that had to be removed. It was time consuming alright but if you were willing to go through the work it would save you quite a bit of money compared to going to a shop.

As for the noise reduction, my brother said if he squinted real hard it might have been quieter. :o

jmonroe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    Park in your garage. Problem solved.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I should show these posts to Mrs. j about the bird stuff.

If I'm not working or going to be working in the garage, I tell her to pull the car in. She would rather leave it in the driveway if she knows she will be going out again later in the day so that she doesn't take the chance of whacking another passenger side mirror like she did with her '06 Sonata that was traded in for my '09 Genny.

I have to keep reminding her that it's the best thing to do and it keeps her black leather seats warmer in the Winter and cooler in the Summer upon initial entry.

Yeah, I otta introduce her to this site. You guys would be in for a real treat with her knowledge of cars. Someday I'll tell you how she recognizes her Subie in a parking lot. :o

jmonroe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    jmonroe said:

I should show these posts to Mrs. j about the bird stuff.

If I'm not working or going to be working in the garage, I tell her to pull the car in. She would rather leave it in the driveway if she knows she will be going out again later in the day so that she doesn't take the chance of whacking another passenger side mirror like she did with her '06 Sonata that was traded in for my '09 Genny.

I have to keep reminding her that it's the best thing to do and it keeps her black leather seats warmer in the Winter and cooler in the Summer upon initial entry.

Yeah, I otta introduce her to this site. You guys would be in for a real treat with her knowledge of cars. Someday I'll tell you how she recognizes her Subie in a parking lot. :o

jmonroe

I am SO glad I now have all but the son's car under roof; the sun exposure did a number on the Wrangler's convertible top. Now that it's permanently under roof I put a new sailcloth top on it and it should last close to forever.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I knew several people back in the 70's that had head gasket problems on their 351 Windsor. Seems like most thought the GM 350's were better engines at that time.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    @oldfarmer50 - all of my cars are registered and titled at my house in CT.

Thank-you @abacomike

@sda - There is a slight difference in hp numbers between your Accord (185) & my Legacy (175).  I'm sure the AWD vs FWD makes a difference as does the weight.  The CVT makes very good use of the power.  The car never feels sluggish, but I definitely have to plan my passing maneuvers.  I usually floor the gas pedal & try to coax the car verbally (go baby go).

Even though it was only a 230 hp Inline 6 (not the turbo 300/300 N55 motor), my BMW was point & shoot.  It definitely spoiled me.  My TSX before that wasn't a road rocket, but the engine's power never dropped off.  It loved to rev.

Funny thing about my former 328xi.  Yes there are things about it I miss.  The smooth, powerful Inline 6 & the rock solid handling.  I see quite a few Titanium Silver Metallic late model E90 328xi BMWs on the road.  I don't say to myself:  "damn I miss that car," or "damn I still wish I had that car."

@jmonroe - I bought my Legacy in late September 2014.  The extra 2 cylinders & 90 horsepower in the 3.6R Limited would definitely help in the passing and power department.  However the 3.6R Limited comes 2 ways; loaded & loaded with options.  It would have easily cost $10,000 more than my 2.5i Premium.  I read that the H6 is much smoother, but is still far from a road rocket.  I think @qbrozen's Dad has one.  If they offered the 2.0 Turbo Motor from the WRX & Forester XT as an option I would have ponied up the extra money.  

The adequate power and a lot more road noise (than my bank vault BMW) are my only 2 complaints.  I've got a little over 33K on the odometer.  The car hasn't had a single hiccup.  I bring it in for a synthetic oil change every 7,500 miles (they give me a loaner car too).  It runs on RUG, I can easily go a week between fill ups.  It's got a big trunk and plenty of room inside.  The AWD is incredible in the winter.  Most of the roads I drive on have 55, 50, & 45 mph speed limits.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I like the 2.0 Subaru Forester XT turbo motor. It helps you forget it is still a CVT transmission.

It looks like there were some false reports in the online media world about Audi abandoning the DSG system for some of their more moderately priced cars including the S4. I repeated them here with disappointment, but It turns out those stories and worries were completely false. They are doubling down on dual clutch automated manuals, and as I understand it the '17 A4 has it "standard." No more CVT or slush-box options unless you get a Q model is the future.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

stever said:

haven't snarked about anyone driving a "Ford" in years now either. I may be slowly coming around.

I still dislike Ford because they built the Windsor 351 for years and still had a problem with timing gears disintegrating early, e.g., 60,000 mi. Said I'd never own another ford and I didn't except for one that I won in the contest. Even it had problems, bad strut, broken bracket on alternator, loose bolts on rear suspension, and more.

Back in "the day" it wasn't at all uncommon for many cars to need a replacement timing chain around the 60,000 mark. This was pretty much expected because most manufactures used plastic tipped gears in an attempt to keep noise levels down. The plastic would deteriorate and the chains would stretch a bit with age.

I once owned a Pontiac GTO that needed a water pump. The shop that replaced it strongly suggested that I
    replace the timing chain and gears while he was "in there"

Sure enough, the plastic had already started to flake off and it wouldn't have been long before I would have been stranded! The replacement parts were all metal with no plastic and lasted MUCH longer.

I didn't notice and in the noise level but then, that WAS a mighty GTO!
  • Michaell said:

@nyccarguy - here in CO, when I paid off the L300 and the ION, I got a title in the mail automatically about 30-45 days after making the last payment.

@breld, @tyguy - have either of you gotten a survey from CDOT? I got one a few days ago - 5 pages of questions about technology and transportation. Part of it has to do with in car technology (adaptive cruise, lane departure, automatic braking), part of it about autonomous cars, and part of it about 'smart' roads.

Hi Michaell. Hmmmm, no survey yet. I'm very curious now and hope to get one.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637

stever said:

Back in "the day" it wasn't at all uncommon for many cars to need a replacement timing chain around the 60,000 mark. This was pretty much expected because most manufactures used plastic tipped gears in an attempt to keep noise levels down. The plastic would deteriorate and the chains would stretch a bit with age.

I once owned a Pontiac GTO that needed a water pump. The shop that replaced it strongly suggested that I
    replace the timing chain and gears while he was "in there"

Sure enough, the plastic had already started to flake off and it wouldn't have been long before I would have been stranded! The replacement parts were all metal with no plastic and lasted MUCH longer.

I didn't notice and in the noise level but then, that WAS a mighty GTO!
    My old 69 Plymouth with 318 threw the timing chain at 139,000 miles. Bent a few valves for good measure. Couple hundred bucks to fix everything. Stuff was cheap back then.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    berri said:

I knew several people back in the 70's that had head gasket problems on their 351 Windsor. Seems like most thought the GM 350's were better engines at that time.

My dad's 65 Galaxy had the 352 engine which must have been a different design than the 351. I overheated that sucker one night to the point it stalled in the street. A heater hose and some coolant fixed it up good as new. A modern engine would probably be toast.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075

The Olds 350 also used a plastic or fiber timing gear and with age they cause problems. The teeth of the gear wear down and the debris settles in the oil pan. If there is enough of it they have been known to clog the oil pump pickup screen. I had mine replaced with an all metal gear/chain assembly 20 years ago, no problems.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited May 2016
    ;)
    abacomike said:

It's essential that those turds be removed from the paint surface ASAP to avoid acid eating into the clear coat.

Shouldn't be a problem if you trade in every 6 months. ;)

Reading about the 351 engine built in Windsor and later in Cleveland (can't make this stuff up). 351W has no relationship to the 351C engine.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/about/ford/ford-small-block-v8

Lots of comments about the 302C and 302W.....I can't make it out, but if you are interested these guys seem to know about them
    FORD 302C and 302W Engines - difference

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

jmonroe said:

About the Genesis wing emblem on the hood that is shown about midway in the link that 'imid' posted about the Subie recall.

After I got the 2015 Genny I noticed that there was a slight shimmy so I went to the Firestone dealer where I have bought several Bridgestone Serenities for my old '09 Genny and for the Subie. I like this store because of the way they have treated me when I didn't get the claimed stated mileage for those tires in addition to how they go about balancing tires and they really use a torque wrench when installing tires. I paid for a lifetime balance for the original Hankook tires that were installed on the '15 Genny but that was a waste of money because it didn't solve the shimmy problem at around 40 MPH (interstate speeds of 70 or more they were fine). Two weeks later I went to the Hyundai dealer to tell them about it and I was informed that a recall for the Hankooks was being issued and I would get 4 new Continental tires as replacements for the Hankooks free of charge. So far so good.

Now you're probably wondering what this has to do with the Genesis wing hood emblem, huh? Ok, I'll tell you. When I pulled up to the Firestone store I pulled right in front of the stores large glass window. When I walked in the guy at the desk said, "is that a Bentley. We don't sell tires for Bentley's. You'll have to go to Bentley to get tires and balancing to keep your warranty valid". I assured him it was not a Bentley just a Hyundai. He now wants to see the car both inside and out since '15 is the first year of the complete makeover for the Genesis since it hit the market in '09. He kept saying how much he liked the car and "that emblem sure does look like the ones on a Bentley".

As I'm writing this I remember I've said I haven't gotten any complements on my new Genny. I guess in a way I still haven't since this guy thought it was a Bentley. :(

jmonroe

When I first got the Eclipse somebody thought it was a Porsche. I felt complimented. Take what you can get. :D
    Hyundai has hired 3 top designers from Bentley in the last few months.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I heard Tesla hired an Audi production guy to help meet higher demand.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    'nyccarguy said:

I bought my Legacy in late September 2014. The extra 2 cylinders & 90 horsepower in the 3.6R Limited would definitely help in the passing and power department. However the 3.6R Limited comes 2 ways; loaded & loaded with options. It would have easily cost $10,000 more than my 2.5i Premium. I read that the H6 is much smoother, but is still far from a road rocket. I think @qbrozen's Dad has one. If they offered the 2.0 Turbo Motor from the WRX & Forester XT as an option I would have ponied up the extra money.

The adequate power and a lot more road noise (than my bank vault BMW) are my only 2 complaints. I've got a little over 33K on the odometer. The car hasn't had a single hiccup. I bring it in for a synthetic oil change every 7,500 miles (they give me a loaner car too). It runs on RUG, I can easily go a week between fill ups. It's got a big trunk and plenty of room inside. The AWD is incredible in the winter. Most of the roads I drive on have 55, 50, & 45 mph speed limits.

Mrs. j got her '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl. in November of 2011 to replace her '05 XG 350 that blew up. I know her car cost more than the 4 cyl. Limited that I test drove just to convince myself that I wanted a 6 cyl. That 4 cyl. Limited was loaded up alright and even had remote start which must be the only option that her car doesn't have. Her car even has puddle lights.

I would never have thought the price difference was 10K between a lesser equipped 4 cyl. like yours and her car. I know that when you want certain options you have to take the whole package, but still, 10K is quite a difference.

When I got my '09 Genny (which she was not in favor of me getting in the first place), the first time I backed out of the garage she pointed at the screen and said, "what's that"? I told her that's a back up camera display that is showing where I am going when the car is in reverse. She says, "oh yeah, everybody needs one of those". Fast forward to when we are looking to replace the blown up XG 350 and she says she wanted a backup camera because it was a nice safety feature but she didn't care about getting a nav system like the '09 Genny had. As it turned out for the '12 Subie Legacy you can't get the backup camera without nav. Then once you get nav you get the sun roof and I can't remember what else came with that package but it wasn't cheap, I know that.

As for AWD, that was one of the reasons why she wanted a Subaru. She had a few friends that had Subaru's and they told her how reliable they were and how good they were in the snow. I told her that shouldn't have made any difference to her because she never drives in the snow anyway. But, if she ever got caught at the mall when a few inches fell she would feel better with a car that was good in the snow. Needless to say she has never been caught at the mall or anywhere else for that matter when it snows because in the Winter she listens to the weather forecasts to let her know when it's safe to venture out of the house. When I was working and we got a light overnight snow a few times she would say, "it's going to snow today, take my car". I still have not driven her car in a large amount of snow but the few inches that I have driven in I can tell that it would be a very good snow car.

Mrs. j's Subie is 3 years older than your '15 and it still has not hit the 25K mile mark. I guess there is an advantage to living only 3 miles away from the mall. :p

jmonroe

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    @nyccarguy,
    What is supposed to happen is that Motor Vehicle will send you your title stamped lien released.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    that you immediately take to a dealer to trade it in on a new one?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    My dad's 65 Galaxy had the 352 engine which must have been a different design than the 351

Yeah, the 352 was an older design (maybe still a Y block?) that was superseded by the 351 design.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    jmonroe said:

'tjc78' said:
    The timing gear problem with the Windsors Imid mentioned was because some one who was brain dead decided to use nylon/plastic tipped gears on the cam and crank sprockets and they wore and chipped off causing the engine timing to be wrong.

I heard that the reason for the plastic tipped gears was to reduce the engine noise not so much as a cost reduction. In fact, manufacturing wise, using plastic might have even been more expensive given that more manufacturing steps and material are involved.

I was always amazed that the plastic held up as long as it did. In any case it was done and Ford wasn't the only manufacture to do this. Back in the mid 70's I helped my youngest brother replace his timing gears and timing chain on his Pontiac. I can't remember the year of the car or the engine size now but I definitely remember all the work involved to do it. Take out the radiator, fan blade, water pump, several brackets and I lost track of all the bolts that had to be removed. It was time consuming alright but if you were willing to go through the work it would save you quite a bit of money compared to going to a shop.

As for the noise reduction, my brother said if he squinted real hard it might have been quieter. :o

jmonroe

The vaunted "bulletproof" Volvos of the same era used that same system.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    abacomike said:

Was up most of the night - thunder and lightning throughout the night and it is continuing this morning.  Heavy downpours and street flooding.  Supposed to continue through Sunday.  Welcome to an early rainy season.  :o

Last time I was in Florida they were complaining about being in the middle of a drought, it rained every single day we were there. :(

BTW how far south are you in Florida?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

A reporter is looking to speak with car shoppers who recently purchased a truck or SUV instead of a coupe or sedan because they were influenced (at least in part) by today's low gas prices. If this sounds like your experience and you're willing to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than May 24, 2016.
    tjc78 said:

@jmonroe

Many years ago I was visiting a friend of mine in downstate IL. While there his car got hit by a hit and run driver whom we saw hit his car. It was a burgundy colored car. When we gave the local sheriffs deputy the description of the car when we said the color was burgundy the guy looked at us like we just sprouted an extra head. We then changed the color to a dark red which he wrote down.

Glad the van wasn't out on the road this afternoon. Not great hammock weather. At least all the skylights survived.

PF_Flyer said:

You can always get a oversized ziplock bag.

Last time I was in Florida they were complaining about being in the middle of a drought, it rained every single day we were there. :( BTW how far south are you in Florida?
    I am 45 miles north of Miami and 175 miles from Key West.  Pretty far south.

Thunderstorms and heavy lightning again this afternoon and tonight.  We got 3" of rain last night and if this keeps up, another couple of inches today and tonight.

Every day at about 2:00 - 3:00 PM, the on shore breezes clash with the prevailing westerly winds over the Everglades which causes rapid updrafts where the thunderstorms form.  Typical summer weather but normally we don't go into rainy season until mid-June.

2021 Genesis G90

PF_Flyer said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's known as a "simultaneous drop". American bombers used this technique over targets during WW II. B)
    I think you mean "Carpet Bombing".

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Last time I was in Florida they were complaining about being in the middle of a drought, it rained every single day we were there. :(

Thunderstorms and heavy lightning again this afternoon and tonight.  We got 3" of rain last night and if this keeps up, another couple of inches today and tonight.

Every day at about 2:00 - 3:00 PM, the on shore breezes clash with the prevailing westerly winds over the Everglades which causes rapid updrafts where the thunderstorms form.  Typical summer weather but normally we don't go into rainy season until mid-June.

I'll be in Orlando early August, the family all wants to go to Disney [world or land or whatever it's called] and I rather not spend $150 to stand in line all day (I can do that here on Black Friday). So I will have a day to do what I want!!!!!!! B)

edited May 2016
    Last time I was in Florida they were complaining about being in the middle of a drought, it rained every single day we were there. :( BTW how far south are you in Florida?

I'll be in Orlando early August, the family all wants to go to Disney [world or land or whatever it's called] and I rather not spend $150 to stand in line all day (I can do that here on Black Friday). So I will have a day to do what I want!!!!!!! B)
    Orlando is about 205 miles NNW of where I live - Florida Turnpike all the way.  There are lots of things you can do in the Orlando area.  On I-4, Tampa is about an hour drive west. One place I sure would not like to be in August is Orlando.  I was there two years ago with my grandson and it rained 80% of the time.  They are in rainy season up there too.

I would suggest a couple of air-conditioned movies! 

Orlando is in central Florida as you know!

2021 Genesis G90

houdini1 said:

jmonroe said:

About the Genesis wing emblem on the hood that is shown about midway in the link that 'imid' posted about the Subie recall.

After I got the 2015 Genny I noticed that there was a slight shimmy so I went to the Firestone dealer where I have bought several Bridgestone Serenities for my old '09 Genny and for the Subie. I like this store because of the way they have treated me when I didn't get the claimed stated mileage for those tires in addition to how they go about balancing tires and they really use a torque wrench when installing tires. I paid for a lifetime balance for the original Hankook tires that were installed on the '15 Genny but that was a waste of money because it didn't solve the shimmy problem at around 40 MPH (interstate speeds of 70 or more they were fine). Two weeks later I went to the Hyundai dealer to tell them about it and I was informed that a recall for the Hankooks was being issued and I would get 4 new Continental tires as replacements for the Hankooks free of charge. So far so good.

Now you're probably wondering what this has to do with the Genesis wing hood emblem, huh? Ok, I'll tell you. When I pulled up to the Firestone store I pulled right in front of the stores large glass window. When I walked in the guy at the desk said, "is that a Bentley. We don't sell tires for Bentley's. You'll have to go to Bentley to get tires and balancing to keep your warranty valid". I assured him it was not a Bentley just a Hyundai. He now wants to see the car both inside and out since '15 is the first year of the complete makeover for the Genesis since it hit the market in '09. He kept saying how much he liked the car and "that emblem sure does look like the ones on a Bentley".

As I'm writing this I remember I've said I haven't gotten any complements on my new Genny. I guess in a way I still haven't since this guy thought it was a Bentley. :(

jmonroe

When I first got the Eclipse somebody thought it was a Porsche. I felt complimented. Take what you can get. :D
    Hyundai has hired 3 top designers from Bentley in the last few months.
    Great!

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

Orlando in August.......better take a thong! :@

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    @driver100 - looks like we are going to miss each other by a couple of weeks.  I'm taking my family to Disney World at the end of July.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:
    @driver100 - looks like we are going to miss each other by a couple of weeks.  I'm taking my family to Disney World at the end of July.
    End of July is a bit better time to visit DisneyWorld than August.  Just plain hot there - less rain.  Actually, there is no "comfortable" place in Florida to visit in the summertime.  

At least there was the mountains when I lived in the Southern California Desert.  When it was 110 on the desert floor, an hour+ drive up the adjacent mountains and it was in the 70's.  No relief here in Florida.

2021 Genesis G90