Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

S-HAWD & Emission Sensor lights coming on after oil change. Acura MDX.

laurieh1laurieh1 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Acura

With my past two oil changes, after I pick up my 2008 MDX from the repair shop and drive for about 5 minutes, two sensor lights have activated - the S-HAWD and emission sensor. Also, the car idled low / shuddered when I stop at a light. The first time it happened in March my regular mechanic could not diagnose the problem. I took it to the dealer and they tried several things including valve adjustment and replacing all injectors. They also wanted to remove the engine head and send it for inspection. I would not authorize that repair and somehow they managed to get the lights to go off and I no longer had the idling problem. I just had my next oil change and the very same thing has happened. My mechanic thinks it has something to do with resetting the codes after he performed the recommended maintenance - maybe a computer issue. Dealer could not really tell me what they did to fix it and I am concerned about more expensive repairs. Anyone heard of this issue?

Comments

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited June 2014

"My mechanic thinks it has something to do with resetting the codes after he performed the recommended maintenance - maybe a computer issue"

I've never heard of this particular thing. But, common sense would suggest this.

• onelifeonelife Member Posts: 15
    I am beginning to have this same issue with my Acura MDX. Did you ever end up fixing this issue? Could certainly use some suggestions!

Thanks much!
    laurieh1 said:

With my past two oil changes, after I pick up my 2008 MDX from the repair shop and drive for about 5 minutes, two sensor lights have activated - the S-HAWD and emission sensor. Also, the car idled low / shuddered when I stop at a light. The first time it happened in March my regular mechanic could not diagnose the problem. I took it to the dealer and they tried several things including valve adjustment and replacing all injectors. They also wanted to remove the engine head and send it for inspection. I would not authorize that repair and somehow they managed to get the lights to go off and I no longer had the idling problem. I just had my next oil change and the very same thing has happened. My mechanic thinks it has something to do with resetting the codes after he performed the recommended maintenance - maybe a computer issue. Dealer could not really tell me what they did to fix it and I am concerned about more expensive repairs. Anyone heard of this issue?