Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• So I'm down to the following, with safety my main concern:

First Choice:Cay.

Second:new 2006 m-class benz due out in mid-April

Third:Volvo XC90 due with BLIS in August.

Forth:Lexus R330 (or R400H).

Fifth:VW T-reg.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Here's everything you ever wanted to know about dry sump and more! :-)

tidester, host
  • mcmuneymcmuney Posts: 64
    Hi guys, I'm about to purchase a Toureg this weekend. 2005 Toureg V6 w/ Package #4 @ $40.5K (exclucing tax & license). And my research shows that I might be able to get the Cayenne for a few grand more just with the Convenience and Touring package. Am I completely wrong, would it be much higher?

If the difference is withing $3K, will it be worth going for the Cayenne instead?
  • Regrettably, there is no genlemanly way to put this: I think that you are stark, raving mad. Check out the accompanying board (Infiniti FX35 vs. VW T Reg vs. BMW X5 vs. Cay vs. Caddy SRX etc.) for several comparisons of T Reg vs. Cay. These comparisons center on CAY's 20 more HP, significantly more power directed to the rear wheels, better customer service, nicer interior, etc.

Without repeting any of the arguments advanced on that board, which car will be more fun to drive, own, and in 5 years sell for a higher percentage of your buy price?
    The base Cayenne V6 has 247 horses compared to 240 on the Toureg (is this wrong info?). I'm not planning on buying with the intention of selling it. Plus, one would hope that when you pay more for a vehicle and more on maintaining the car that it would have a better resell value.

Anyhow, my estimates were wrong. To get a comparable vehicle with equivalent features as the Toureg, the Cayenne would cost approximately $48.5K. That's a price difference of $8K. Will the price jump be well worth it?
  • atranatran Posts: 3
    I've got a 05V6 with sunroof, memory seat, heated seat, auto climate,6CDs changer, rear window screens, compass - listed 48830, bought at 44800. I tested drive the V6Toureg; it was not even close to the Cay. I'm not sure how much the Toureg costs with the same options.
  • atran, you are a ferocious negotiator. That's a great price. I paid a little less but didn't get the 6CD changer, auto climate, or memory seats. (I can easily rationalize their absence though: my Cay is a one driver car tuned to rightwing talk radio or country exclusively, and like 99% of all Americans I compulsively fiddle with the HVAC settings anyway.)

IMHO Porsche is making a big mistake in not taking dead aim at the X5 3.0 crowd with good leases. The car is much better than the VW and significantly better than the X5. Ownership experience: Do you think they will remember your name at the high volume VW store or the "we sell all we can bring in at list price to these foolish yuppies" BMW store?
    After 2 hours, they asked 48, let me walked at 44. I called in later to accept that offer. They have to get this color from San Diego port. My wife only accepts white, it's her car :-)

It's such a solid car - it feels so much better than X5 and VW.
    I'm sorry. I meant that they asked for 44800.
    I've read here that McKenna in Norwalk is selling the Cayenne for $1500 over invoice. When I called, they said $3500 over invoice. I found another dealership at $2000 over invoice.

What are some of the other dealerships in LA/Orange County that are willing to go to $1500 or lower over invoice? Please post contact name if available.

Thanks in advance.
    Please post contact name if available.

Please don't!

You may give the name of a dealership but no contact information is permitted on the boards.

tidester, host
  • mcmuney, I think part of the confusion is that the mark up over invoice is a function of which model CAY ( V6, S, turbo) and which year (yes, there are new '04s to be had). IMHO they would send a cab for you if you called and said you would pay $1500 over invoice for an '04 S in Jarama beige or white. Asking for $1500 over invoice on a V6 in Titanium may be more difficult to pull off.

Where are you located?? East or West Coast?
    I'm on the West Coast. After contacting several dealers, I did find one who was willing to go $1500 over invoice, but he gave me some BS about how sites like enmunds and carsdirect don't include advertising and transportation costs, and was quoting me over $4,000 over invoice (invoice based on carsdirect pricing) claiming that it was $1500.

I'm looking for the V6 Black w/ any interior color. I have until tomorrow to find the right price; otherwise, it's the fully loaded V6 Toureg.
  • ctomctom Posts: 11
    if anyone has bought a Cay in Chicago area over the last month can they provide some info on what they paid vs. sticker? Thx.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,935
    Don't get bogged down negotiating the line items. If you focus on your out the door price, you're more likely to get a good deal with less hassle.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Black is great and the Havana beige interior sets it off nicely. BUT, you should be clear in your mind that the beige won't wear as well if you are going to use the CAY every day with coffee in the holders, overstuffed gymn bag in the back, the last three day's WSJ tossed across the back seat etc as you pull into Home Depot. I have the black interior and immediately put a McNeil rubber liner in the back and mats up front for day to day driving/living.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,364
    agree...

I have the havanna beige interior..and it got dirty mighty quick....

but it was also easy to clean off...just used any carpet cleaner and some paper towels to wipe it clean..... I like the lighter interior due to less heat...but tradeoff is more apparence of dirtiness.
  • the lighter the interior the more the interior is reflected in the glass, thus reducing the signal-to-noise ratio of what is going on outside the car (just like the glare on your PC monitor).

P.S. Anyone got an idea of what the center of gravity (CG) is on a V6 Cay? Its gotta be lower than a T-reg, right?, since is got a dry sump thus lower to the ground engine, or does it?
    Anyone got an idea of what the center of gravity (CG) is on a V6 Cay? Its gotta be lower than a T-reg, right?

A combination of factors contribute to a vehicle's rollover resistance such as COG and Electronic Stability Control. The COG must be compared with the vehicle width if it is to be used as an indicator of stability.

Unfortunately, neither the Cayenne nor the Touareg were included in the NHTSA MY 2004 Rollover Ratings.

tidester, host
  • ctomctom Posts: 11
    Just got an '04 Cay S with the 19" tires. Dealer said they strongly recommend snow tires (Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice). Question I have is should I buy a second set of rims, too, or is it okay to just have the tires swapped off the existing rims? Any thoughts? Only had the car for 2 days, so what other bits of wisdom can all you experienced Cay owners share with me? Thanks.
  • HI. my lexus rx300 was just stolen. im a bit bored with the old station wagon. looking for something a bit more cool. i am looking at the cayenne and the infinity f35 with sports package. on both v6 automatics. Im also 6.4 tall. So anything stand out as a make or break between the two cars? How do i find out if there are any special lease offers? is it wrong to lease from the dealler?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,935
    This link is our Incentives page, but I don't see anything for the Cayenne or Lexus (re leasing) in my zip code.

You may want to browse around the Prices Paid & Buying Experiences boards and the Lease Questions - Ask Here one.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Based on my experience, the key to getting a deal on the Cay is finding one with the few "key" options -- such as 18 turbo wheels. The only other options in my black 04 is the stainless steel trim (which is very nice), and spare tire. I paid 42K at HBL in Virginia -- which I thought was a great deal -- they had a huge inventory.

I am very happy with the vehicle. As mentioned by others, don't underestimate the value of great Porsche service.
  • I have a light grey interior -- which goes well with the steel trim package. The seat color is fine -- the mats get dirty quickly.
  • I had a very bad experience with 18 turbo rims with Bridgestone Turanza ER Summer Tires in the snow - never driven a more dangerous vehicle. On the other hand, I had the tires changed to Dunlop Gran Trek -- and the car is fabulous. I don't really notice any major difference in noise and ride -- and don't plan to change the tires.

I really find it hard to believe Porsche puts summer tires on these vehicles as standard equipment in any area where there is snow.
    agree...

seems like the Dunlops and Pirelli Scorpions do a great job....maybe the Dunlops are a little better too.

Bridgestones are just for summer dry roads....

but they do handle better than the Continentals M+S.
    some people (those with extra room in the garage) get a second set of rims and tires for winter/snow...

18" rims with Dunlop Grandtreks are fine, as are Pirellis...though some prefer Dunlops. there are 18" for sale on ebay at a reasonable price, but you have to watch and not overpay.

summer tires on the 19 or 20 " are fine.

Some people just run the all season Continentals year round...
  • While you could run the all season Continentals year round , even the 17" ones are poor on ice and snow. My thinking was that I could get by with the poor tires with the AWD, but why buy a Porsche to get by with mediocre handling? Note, before you choke on the pricing at the Tire Rack for a wheel/tire combo also call Direct Tire. They can be more competitive. In any case the sales tax savings may off set the freight and local installation charges.
    yes.. I agree...

I have 2 sets of wheels, one for summer, and another for winter .