Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Volvo V60 T5 Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Volvo
image2015 Volvo V60 T5 Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.com tests the 2015 Volvo V60 T5, a small luxury wagon that boasts excellent safety, good fuel economy, energetic performance and a lower price than its competitors.

Read the full story here

Comments

• marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96

I'll stick with my AMG wagon, but that said, I'm happy to see Volvo bring back wagons. Now bring back a mid sized R wagon!

• emajoremajor Member Posts: 332

44 cubic feet of seats-down cargo capacity? That means there is, what, 15-20 behind the rear seat? That's compact hatchback territory and pathetic for a wagon. I can appreciate that Volvo no longer wants to sell a rolling rectangle, but this has swung too far in the other direction where styling has pinched out most of the utility. And look at that dumb rising beltline; there's no glass area back there to see out of , so you'd better opt for that backup camera. A relative has an S60 sedan and it is a very nice car, but as a wagon owner I don't see much to get excited about here.

• seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93

I carefully considered a V60 T5, they look great and the standard seats are spectacular. Premier Plus is a good content level, and ride is good without oversized wheels, it was a nice drive. But rear seat room is tight, the cargo area is no more than a Golf or similar hatchback, effectively, and the view out the rear is really constricted, which I consider an active safety deficiency. Really nice car in many ways, but not roomy enough, and at this price point Audi and especially BMW are more tempting. Still, if you don't need all the room, it's a desirable and comfortable and distinctive car.

• derickd81derickd81 Member Posts: 1

I own one of these and have put more than 3,000 miles on it thus far. I find more and more that I like about it each time I take it on the road. The cargo capacity, as mentioned in the article, seems larger than specified, and it's more than enough space for my wife and I. We have a month-long trip coming up and test fit our gear and there is more than enough room.
    We have the blind-spot system (BLIS) which is really great, and the rear visibility is fine, especially when your mirrors are set up correctly, BLIS adds another layer of control in backing up.
    It's a great car if you don't want a crossover, need more space than a sedan, and want something safe and confident on the road. Can you fit a refrigerator in the back, no, but it offers a great deal of utility for most daily use.

Definitely worth a test drive. That way you can make your own assessment.

• wackfordwackford Member Posts: 41

I don't understand the desirability of these keyless entry systems. With the introduction of the button on the key-fob, I haven't found it any great hassle or effort to press a little button with my thumb. I guess those who find this effort to great may be the same people that find it too much effort to use their pinkies to move the signal stalk to indicate their intentions when turning or changing lanes!

• herrstreetherrstreet Member Posts: 27

I couldn't disagree more with some of the points in this article. I shopped the BMW - and for the 52k that it would have cost me to get a touring with navigation, leather and backup camera, I got an R Design with every option except for the tech package. And walked away with $4000 in change. I also don't think that the the interiors of modern BMW's are as luxurious as the Volvo is - though they have a nicer navigation screen, which is pretty huge. While the V60 is a FWD package (mine has awd since it's the 6) and that means I'm not going to do powerslides in it, who on earth does that? As far as the cargo area goes, it is absolutely not the size of a GTI trunk. I've had 2. From the back seats to the hatch it's about 45 inches, which means I can throw my daughter's large stroller in the back and still have space for some accesories. What the cargo space does lack is height. All the extra space in the XC60 is vertical. Overall I think it's a great car, and you can't buy a safer car.

• bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24

this vehicle with allwheel drive and the turbochaged and supercharged 4 cylinder engine and i'm in although i would much rather have the xc60 or xc70

• leocosta75leocosta75 Member Posts: 1

I love wagons, and I think the V60 is a gorgeous addition. I wish more people would drive wagons instead of "crossovers" (clever name for SUVs...), however I feel that in the end, the biggest rival to the V60 is its own sibling, the XC60. Why most american buyers would go for the wagon if they can satisfy their crossover fetish with the XC60 for the same ammount of money? Volvo North America should have priced the V60 much lower...

• myobmyob Member Posts: 53

Ah yes, the "they said it so I'll say it too" review. DRIVE the car and you won't think it's "less refined". It's also pretty sporty handling with the sport package. You can buy an R design version with awd that will out handle the Audi and hold its own with the BMW. I don't know where they get some of these reviewers. The A4 based All road is jacked up and tall now and will not handle that great. It strains under load with a 4 cylinder turbo making only about 220 hp. For the same price or less you can get 325 hp and 354 lb ft of torque in the top level Volvo. AND it looks better. You can tell these reviews are lame because they are still treating the 3 series like it has great body control and steering. Sorry, that went away with the F30 redesign. You'll have to pick up a used E92 era BMW wagon to do much better than the current Volvo V60.

As for cargo space, puhleese. These wagons have about double the capacity of their sedan versions. Sorry if you need more, but that's what crossovers are for. If you have a family of 4 and need more than these wagons allow, try a roof rack.

leocosta75, the V60 is priced a whopping $850 more than its sedan version, the S60. That IS cheap considering how few they'll sell and the design and costs to certify it here. The S60 is already cheaper than the BMW and Audi competition. It's a European car, they have costs a Mexican made VW won't have. (The V60 is built in Sweden, the S60 in Belgium).

I'm not anti-BMW. I have owned 3 of them.

wackford, I was exactly like you till I got a car with it. "How hard is it to push a fob button?". But it really is convenient never to have to dig for a key. Now I look for the feature on new cars. Call me lazy, but I have come to really like it.

• nouel87nouel87 Member Posts: 1

I'm looking for advice, both pro and con, for the purchase of this wagon. I'm a young professional in my late twenties without children to transport. I live an active lifestyle, therefore some room is important for me to load up gear for outdoor sports, fishing rods and tackle boxes, suitcases, etc. I kayak so roof racks are critical. I wanted an intro luxury, sporty vehicle with more room than a sedan, however with a good power to gas mileage ratio, so I don't feel like I'm driving a go-kart but am also not paying outrageously for fuel. Important aspects for me are performance, fuel economy, quality materials, storage space, and sporty styling. The V60 seems pricey in proportion to my current income, and with AWD a desired option, I am looking into leasing in the hopes of affording a brilliant vehicle with the option to replace it with a similar vehicle in 2-3 years. To give you an idea of previously owned vehicles, I've had 2 F-150's and a GMC Envoy. Thoughts?

Best,

nouel87

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

New England, boater, poor access roads for your fishing spots.

Guess you're sick of seeing Subarus everywhere up there, but the ground clearance is nice for those kinds of activities. (Looks like the T5 has 5.4" of GC).

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@nouel87 said:
    I'm looking for advice, both pro and con, for the purchase of this wagon. I'm a young professional in my late twenties without children to transport. I live an active lifestyle, therefore some room is important for me to load up gear for outdoor sports, fishing rods and tackle boxes, suitcases, etc. I kayak so roof racks are critical. I wanted an intro luxury, sporty vehicle with more room than a sedan, however with a good power to gas mileage ratio, so I don't feel like I'm driving a go-kart but am also not paying outrageously for fuel. Important aspects for me are performance, fuel economy, quality materials, storage space, and sporty styling. The V60 seems pricey in proportion to my current income, and with AWD a desired option, I am looking into leasing in the hopes of affording a brilliant vehicle with the option to replace it with a similar vehicle in 2-3 years. To give you an idea of previously owned vehicles, I've had 2 F-150's and a GMC Envoy. Thoughts?

What about a Jetta SportWagen TDI? Fun to drive, great mileage, pretty well-made, roomy, not too expensive. It doesn't have AWD, but FWD is good enough the vast majority of the time.

• spkornspkorn Member Posts: 4

I bought a V60 in May with BLIS and all heated seats

Great car and style and economy.

$39k out the door including sales taxes for base model.

Includes maintenance thru 30,000 miles too