Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I've seen them, too, but I'm a bit torn.

Why? Well, officially, the Miata isn't rated for towing. A rack and a couple of bikes will probably put a good 100-120 lbs or so of tongue weight. Payload for mine is only 360 lbs to begin with, so with 2 people inside it's already overloaded.

Any how, companies do make hitches that fit. The tie-down hooks come off, and the hitch bolts in their place, behind the bumper.

I still would not recommend this. I'm 205 lbs, add the wife and we're over 300, add a bike rack and two bikes and we'd be well over the rated payload.
  • I have a 90 Miata with the original stereo in it - I bought some speakers for the headrests hoping that would solve my problem - that being that the stereo is very tinney and sharp - well that didnt really help - I'm thinking that my next move is to install an aftermarket radio/cd changer - but my question is this - Is it possible to get good sound from a stereo in a convertible with the top down?

thanks
    Yes.

The OE stereo sends very little sound to the headrest speakers. They get much less wattage than the door speakers do. I've seen mods where people change that on Miata.net.
  • Are splash guards necessary? If so, does the dealer have to order and install them or can you get them to match from someone other than Mazda and install yourself?
    Thanks
  • I have a Brompton folding bike that sits on the passenger seat. Seat belt secures it. Check out http://www.foldabikes.com/ in the Bay area.
  • wilzapwilzap Posts: 107
    I'm going to order a set for mine,I asked the dealer about them and was told if I order them through him they will be covered on the warranty,My brother in law gets special pricing W/mazda through the Miata club he is with,I'm going to see if there is a big price difference and if there is I'm going to get them through my bro and put them on myself. when he gets back in town this weekend I'm going to have him look into this I will let you know the difference,I think its a good deal through him,I might join the club,always thought it would be kinda geeky but last weekend I took a fall colors drive with them and having 50 MX-5's on the roads together was kinda cool,unfortunately it rained.Oh and I think they are necessary to help against rock chips and other road trash/oils
  • Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you!
  • I wanted to know what I can do to a miata (performance) for a cheap price. Just wanted to get 20 or so horsepower out of the engine. Any advice?
  • wilzapwilzap Posts: 107
    A K&N air filter ( which doesn't need to be replaced, just cleaned ) will get you a couple more HP and a little better MPG,they run about $45,and a higher preformance exhaust system may get you a few more, other than that, to get that much HP out of it I don't think it would easy or cheap..
  • Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that. :)
  • Whats the best lowering kit (for handling, performance, and some what comfortable) for a 1997 miata? Dont want to look like i cut the springs.
    Check out this vendor:

http://www.gomiata.com/

The aftermarket for these cars is strong...more stuff that I could ever buy in a lifetime.
  • Thanks for that website it is the best one ive seen for miatas. What do you think of racing beat (the company in general)?
    I've heard of them, but never purchased anything, so I can't really tell you one way or the other.

I think I got my top from Go Miata. I'm still on their mailing list. Once in a while they have free shipping specials. Register so you get those types of offers.
  • I'll look into that. Thanks for the help. :)
  • emcmx5emcmx5 Posts: 3
    Hi everyone- I'm from So. eastern centeral Calif in the Tehachapi mountain range which is 38 miles east of Bakersfield and 35 miles northwest of Palmdale and Lancaster Calif. My wife and I have a '06 MX-5 w/ auto trans. . .what a kick! I have installed a Kn Cold Air Filter-57A6023 which you can get from KN or order it from Auto Zone. This gives about 5-6 added hp. It is easy to install, TAKE YOUR TIME and read instructions carefully. I am running Royal Purple 5-20. No problems. I also run 36 psi in the Yoka's dvan A11A, the door sticker says 29 but in our type of driving we get an additional 3-4 miles/gal. My next set of tires are going to be General Altimax HP. Check out Tire Rack's site as well as Good-Win-Racing here in Calif-GREAT STUFF and Forum HAPPY MOTORING & ZOOOOOM ZOOOOM!
  • red1993red1993 Posts: 1
    Good Day, I just bought my first miata about 2 weeks ago and I am looking into some performance mods. I read about a few and then read about they were not worth the time and cash. need someones opinion. I want to do the following.: major tune up plug wires etc, But I read that the splitfire plugs recommended are bad news for the engine in that it misses ,bogs down and even the electrodes break. Headers -heard of only about 4 HP increase, Cold air intake but which one? I am in NC in a town near Charlotte My name is Earl. Any help appreciated! :)
  • emcmx5emcmx5 Posts: 3
    Hi Earl- -Here are some suggestions re 'tune-up'. I have found that if you stay with "NGK' brand plug wires and plugs you CAN'T go wrong. Look up 'NGK's' web site for plugs and wires. Cold air intake- KN 57A6023 for NC 2006 and up. Check out Good Win Racing for headers and exhaust(s). Also look at Miatamania.com for a full list of racing and performance stuff. Let us all know . ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM.
  • I have an old 1991 Mazda Miata an I really like it. But I would also like to fix it up with a new body kit. Is there any that are more recomended than others? keeping a low price range. (I'm also starting to like the hard tops). Any advice would be great the more i learn the better.
    -Thanks
  • dugldugl Posts: 10
    The tone of the stock exhaust on my 2008 seems to have a deep growl....deeper than a typical 4 cyl rice burner a 16 yr old might drive, but how much effect would removing the resonator tips have on the sound ? I'd rather have it deep & quieter than louder & tinny.
This discussion has been closed.