Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

98 dodge caravan knocks in morning

gbeach1gbeach1 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Dodge
my caravan knocks for about 3 minutes after sitting overnight, then goes away. i have tried lucas oil, and everything else, any ideas

Comments

• Options
    enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Oil filter up to Mopar specs, with an anti-drainback valve if needed (it probably is)?
  • Options
    larryn2larryn2 Member Posts: 18
    THREE MINUTES SEEMS TO LONG, OIL PRESURE SHOULD BUILD IN A COUPLE OF SECONDS. I WOULD TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND TELL THEM. LARRY
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Perhaps the knocking is not in the engine at all, but an exhaust heat shield rattling until it gets warmer and expands. Your catalytic converter probably has a heat shield around it.

If it knocks for three minutes, I'd imagine it would knock forever if it were engine related.

HTH, and I hope that is all your problem is!

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Is this a loud valve tapping noise? If it is, than one of your hydraulic lifters is too loose or not holding oil pressure properly. One lifter is real sensitive on my Stanza. If the engine is too low in oil or too high, it will tap obnoxiously loud. Even after the proper oil level is achieved, it will continue to tap for a few minutes and than stay quiet until it gets too low again. Adding Lucas oil stabilizer has helped a little, but it helped more with my oil burning problem. I took off the valve cover and discovered that one of the lifters is literally loose and not fitting snug up against the valve like the others. My guess is, that the only way to solve the tapping would be to replace the bad hydraulic lifter, which is probably a semi-expensive repair. So, if you can deal with the noise and you aren't burning a lot of oil, I say you should just live with it.
This discussion has been closed.