Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler brake system contamination

utterback1utterback1 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Chrysler
I have a 96 LHS and the repair shop says I have a contaminated brake system and the whole system will need replaced at a cost of $3,000 plus. My question is how long does it take for a contamination, wants it gets into the system, to cause a problem? The shop said it is caused by someone putting a foreign substance in the brake fluid fill cap. They were the last to change my oil 5 weeks ago.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Wow, this is a strange story!

Why can't they flush the entire system and replenish it with good brake fluid?

How could someone put enough fluid in your system to contaminate it without taking fluid out?

And what the HELL costs $3,000 to repair?

I think you need a second opinion here. I don't like the sound of this.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    ANY petroleum based product such as engine oil, automatic transmission fluid, power steering fluid, etc, will contaminate a brake hydraulic system and cause damage to it's synthetic rubber components. They're found in the master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, flex hoses, ABS pressure modulator, and proportioning valve(s). The first and most obvious symptom is swelling/deterioration of the reservoir fill cap diaphragm. (A caliper piston seal in a dish of ATF will swell to almost twice it's original size overnight).

The second type of system contamination is caused by fluid moisture absorption (read "Brake System Flushing - A Needed Service?" archived topic). It will lead to corrosion and pitting of internal metal surfaces, and damage to seals contacting those surfaces. This can usually be corrected by replacing damaged components as required then flushing the system.

In either case, the system must be serviced and any defective components or assemblies replaced. If petroleum based products have been introduced, simply flushing the system is NOT a proper repair. The safety/liability issues should be obvious.
This discussion has been closed.