Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Insuring teenage drivers

1235»

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Suggest that you shop around for another insurance company. Typically, policies cover those in the household (however defined).
  • In Illinois, a new teen driver can only have one non-relative in their car under 20 for the first six months of their licensing period. Does anyone know what the penalty would be for a new teenage driver that got caught with more than one teen in their car? Like is it a moving violation and will it make insurance go up when they were caught?
  • As I am an addicted driver I'm am greatly interested in cars and everything that is connected with them.
    In some blog I found an article about car insurance for young drivers.
    I am very interested in this theme as I am just a very young driver.
    I've got a new car a few months ago and now I'm gathering all available information.
    My parents tell that it is necessary for me to get car coverage but I'm not sure about that.
    The article is very interesting I advice all teens to read it.
    However it contains only tips for teens' parents.
    I'd rather read article with tips for young drivers, for teens.
    Careful behavior on the road, low awareness - all this is very important of course.
    But I'd like to read more about insurance policies, ways of costs cutting down, etc.
    But in general the article is rather instructive.
    Perhaps, anybody knows blogs, containing such information. Send references, please. :D
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My teenager is still my dependant, but is over 18 and has a car titled in his own name. Is my understanding correct that I am free of any liability for his actions as a driver?
    Is he still on the license that you signed for?
    No, he had to renew his driver's license sometime after he was 18.

I do have another soon to be 18 year old, who's initial license is good until he is 19.
    Then I can't think of any theory under which you could be held liable outside of a business relationship (unless he would be operating your vehicle - understand that he has his own).
    Thanks for confimation that is what I thought/assumed.

But in the other case, where the "kid" is still on his first license, which I signed off on, is the implication that there could be some liability to me even after he is 18?
    "Could" being the operative word here and meaning there's a possibility. Whether it's realistic or not is another question.
    Since it doesn't cost anything to eliminate that very small risk, may as well eliminate it. I'll just have him renew his license prior to changing liability coverage. The renewed license will be good until he is 22, whether he renews one day after he is 18 or 1 day before he is 19.
    I need to do the same when my daughter turns 18 in a couple of months.

And sign the car over to her.

And have her get her own insurance policy.
    I should have done that, but never did get around to it with my daughter. She is now 23 had a car that was titled to me until it was recently sold.

Girls are much cheaper than boys and I kept thinking the old car I had given her would not last as long as it did. She is temporarily using our old minivan now...less than $400 per year for 100/300 liability, despite a ticket or two. I may look at transferring the title, next time plates are up for renewal, if it seems she is going to keep it indefinitely.
  • My son is 20 and has compiled a fairly bad driving record. I had enough and just signed the car over to him and and also got him his own ins policy with PA state minimums.

My daughter is 18.5 and has a much better record. She drives a "beater" car but since she's under a family policy obviously she pays for all of our cars. We are in a position where we could do the same with her - sign the car over and get her her own insurance.

Any recommendations? Is this worthwhile? Should young drivers go with minimums since they have no assets to go after? Is there anything I missing here with regards to kids "owning" the car and having their own policies?

Thanks.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,549
    "...My son is 20 and has compiled a fairly bad driving record..."

When did my kid move in with you? ;)

"...Any recommendations?..."

There is a very detailed discussion of this topic on "Questions about Insurance and Accidents" board. There are a couple of lawyers there that seem to have accurate info.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• maxllamamaxllama Posts: 1
    hello clever people out there,
    can someone please tell me where i can find a list of which vehicles are least expensive to insure for a teen, also would be nice to see which are safest too?
    i have a 16 year old which is about to be unleashed on the world. (you have been warned!) i am trying to figure whether a large used sedan our a used SUV would be best for him.
    thanks for any advice..
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    A number of years ago, when my oldest was turning 16, I had the exact same conversation with my insurance agent.

Without hesitating, she said "Saturn sedan". I suspect, since this was 5 1/2 years ago, that she was referring to the polymer-sided ones (the S-series and the ION).

No 2-doors. No trucks. Nothing sporty. No SUV's. Sedans only.

Oh, and for what it's worth, we've made each of our kids pay their own insurance, plus have enough in savings to cover the deductible. They will be a safer driver if they have some skin in the game.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,332
    Before granting the teenage the privilege, has he an accumulated GPA of 3.5?
    Due to grade inflation, that is not expecting too much.

The cost of insuring the teenager on YOUR car depends not only on his grades, but his & your credit records, in addition to the other criteria, although there will be a multiple car discount. The Liability cost is not dependent on the car so much as the style of car may prevent the company from accepting him for coverage.

There are many 4 cylinder 4 speed manual coupes that won't contain the gang out there. Advise him there will not be any coverage for the car so if he breaks it, he puts the air back in his bike tires. Prepare yourself for four years of light sleeping.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    What are the steps necessary to place your child on your insurance policy? A co-worker said his son was driving his car under his insurance policy, because he was a household member. I told him his son wasn't covered because he needed to call his insurance company and have his sons name added to his policy as a driver. Which would increase his rates... correct?

Also, do I need to carry my wifes proof of insurance card when I'm driving her car? I say no, just mine... she says yes.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I suspect that the answers to your questions may depend upon what state you live in and who your insurance carrier is.

Here in Colorado, I've been with State Farm since I moved here in 1993.

When my stepson turned 15 and got his permit, I contacted my agent. Was told that he was covered under my policy until he got his license, then we'd need to "add" him to our policy. Yes, our rates did increase a little bit.

When we added a third car to the household, he had to be noted as the "primary" driver of one of them. Didn't matter if it was the car he drove regularly, so we put him on the vehicle that would cost him the least. He still had rights to drive any of the cars we had.

Regarding the insurance card, State Farm issues us two - one that stays in the vehicle and the other stays with the primary driver. So, when I drive my wife's car, I have the insurance card for "my" car in my wallet, and the insurance card for "her" car in the glove box. Should something happen, we would use the card in the glove box as that shows the policy number for that vehicle.

Hope that answers your questions.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Thanks. I'm meeting up with my friend later on this afternoon. Will ask him if his son has his permit (not lisence), which would explain friend not having his son "added" onto his policy.

We also have State Farm (Ky) insurance. I use to keep the extra insurance card in the glove box. Lately though I think I had both cards in my wallet. So, my wife was right then. Either her insurance card in my wallet or in her glove box.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,332
    The Family Auto Policy covers all members residing in the household. The youthful driver does not have to be reported to the company to have coverage.

When the youthfu driver is SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED The named insured(s) have to sign a "Driver Exclusion Endorsement".

Quite a few states have ruled that the DEE does not apply due to the state's Financial Responsibility Law (not in the public's interest) minimum of 25/50/10.

In excess of the state's minimum limits, the DEE does apply.

You don't have to report your youth to the company to have him covered. Even if he drives a friend's car that isn't on any insurance and has a crash, the youth is still covered under your primary policy as secondary coverage and he doesn't even have to have a license!
1235»
This discussion has been closed.