Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XV Crosstrek leasing question

loki8481loki8481 Posts: 1

sorry if this is a total newbie question, I've never actually bought a car before! (the previous 2 that I've owned have all been hand-me-downs from family members)

I'm thinking of leasing an XV Crosstrek (either Limited or Hybrid) but I can't seem to get a good handle on what I should be expecting to pay for the lease. is under-$300/month a reasonable expectation? just comparing it to the manufacturer lease offer for the standard model at $249/month.

part of me hates the thought of leasing a 2014 just months before the 2015's come out, but I've got an offer from a friend to buy my current car that expires in August (he needs a car before the new school year). I've got about $7500 socked away for a down payment plus the $2500 cash from selling my car, but if I lease instead of buy I can preserve most of that cash and put it into my house down-payment fund (my partner and I are hoping to buy in the next 3-4 years once we get about $25k saved up)

for what it's worth, I'm in NJ and my credit is pretty stellar.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,371

@loki8481 said: sorry if this is a total newbie question, I've never actually bought a car before! (the previous 2 that I've owned have all been hand-me-downs from family members)

I'm thinking of leasing an XV Crosstrek (either Limited or Hybrid) but I can't seem to get a good handle on what I should be expecting to pay for the lease. is under-$300/month a reasonable expectation? just comparing it to the manufacturer lease offer for the standard model at $249/month.

part of me hates the thought of leasing a 2014 just months before the 2015's come out, but I've got an offer from a friend to buy my current car that expires in August (he needs a car before the new school year). I've got about $7500 socked away for a down payment plus the $2500 cash from selling my car, but if I lease instead of buy I can preserve most of that cash and put it into my house down-payment fund (my partner and I are hoping to buy in the next 3-4 years once we get about $25k saved up)

for what it's worth, I'm in NJ and my credit is pretty stellar.

The $249/mo that is advertised is for the base 5-speed model, with $2149 due at signing.. The Limited model has similar lease variables, but is a more expensive model. It will probably be proportionately more expensive to lease than the base model. (if the MSRP is 20% higher, then the lease payment is likely to be 20% higher, as well).

On top of that, you'll have tax/title/registration and dealer doc fees. (about $1500-$1700 more).

Come back with the MSRP of the model you are interested in, along with a selling price, and we can give you an estimated lease payment...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• loki8481loki8481 Posts: 1

it looks like the 2014 Limited automatics at my local dealership average about $25,550 MSRP... the average price on Truecar for the same model/trim is $24,278

on the flip side, the Premium manuals are listed at $23,350 MSRP, $21,910 average on Truecar

so about an 8-9% difference in MSRP's if my high school math is right?