Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• If it's a torn flex disk that you're talking about, that is a very common BMW E39 series ailment. Not sure if that's your model or not but I think 2004 was the last year. I think BMW regards this as a normal wear item.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I used to replace transmission fluid to my other cars myself, is it hard to do on BMW or better have it done with BMW dealers?

You can do it yourself, but the procedure is somewhat more complicated than you may be used to. This how-to is for an E36, but it will still give you an idea of what is involved. I usually have my dealer change the ATF and transfer case oil at 50,000 mile intervals. They only charge me $208.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

2003 was the last year for the E39 platform. The flex disk(AKA guibo) can last up to 150K or more, depending on the car's horsepower, weight, and driving conditions.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Thanks. I keep seeing two different answers for when the E39 phased out. I guess the theoretical lifespan of the guibo should be 150K, but it seems that most people don't get that far with them. Certainly worth checking periodically.

I wonder what a "cracked" driveshaft is then? Sounds very unusual.
    I wonder what a "cracked" driveshaft is then? Sounds very unusual.

My wife's CPO 1997 528i had a low speed rumble/vibration that was independent of engine speed and wheels/tires fitted. My dealer has a first class service department and they diagnosed a bent driveshaft. It was replaced under the CPO warranty, no questions asked. I still wonder how one could tweak a driveshaft without hitting/running over something.
    FYI, BMW continues to use two-piece driveshafts fitted with 1-2 guibos and a center bearing, as you can see on this F01 parts diagram.

• Are BMW driveshaft still not rebuildable? I remember that for a long time the u=joints were not replaceable. U-joint wears out, well, then, you replace the entire driveshaft.

I could see a driveshaft out of balance, definitely, but bent? A frozen u-joint would give that same symptom, too.
  • OK, Had a major leak in my car, if I left car in rain the rear passenger side foot well would fill up with water (over 2'' + deep) the issue is that it took BMW service forever to fix it in that time it fill with water several time. Found out the it was coming in from the heater box and rolling in under the carpet so who know how long it was going on!! With all the electrical that is in the area should I maybe just ell the car to get rid of a potential issue long term with the electrical going bad from all the moisture?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!
  • Water or coolant. If water, from the heater box, that was probably clogged drainage in the fresh air vents (situated under the wiper blades). Wires are wrapped up pretty well so I wouldn't worry, unless it dripped on some component...but usually what this type of leak does is drip along the inner firewall. I don't think I'd worry about it. I'd be more concerned for the power seats I guess.
    Are BMW driveshaft still not rebuildable?

Some aftermarket shops rebuild them as does BMW.

• It was water, it migrated fom under heater under the carpet to the lowest spot on the car which was the back seat footwell. When the water was in the back it did cause all sorts of electrical items to go off, i.e. active steering said it was not communicating, stereo was weird, seat would not work, etc...all the water is now gone and all communication seems to be ok. The worry I have is the corrosion going to continue to wires in the area....
  • Ah well, the great mystery. I don't know what to say. I can only give you some solace, in a weird comparison to my laptop computer. I dumped a large cup of coffee on it, and of course, it shorted out, etc---but once we took it apart and cleaned it, it's been fine.
  • rezrez Posts: 41
    While researching the 5 series E60, I've noticed that there was an issue with the high pressure fuel pump or the ignition coil on numerous vehicles. I would like to know if anyone has experienced the problem, and how their cars are performing after the replacement, please.
    The HPFP issue only affects cars with the N54 engine.

• rezrez Posts: 41
    Thanx roadburner!

my preliminary research outcome is that the faulty N54 engine were in cars until March 2008. I wonder when BMW started to manfacture the 2009's? Just wanted to ask anyone who experienced the failed fuel pumps and how their cars are performing after they were changed out.

Anyone?
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Guys,
    I've been reading these boards for over a year now, and have gotten terrific information, many thanks to you all for that help.

I have a CPO 2007 530i with 28K on it. Vehicle has premium, cold, Sports, prem. sound, NAV. Love the car. Really terrific. Since I got the vehicle in June 2009, I was consistently getting like 20mpg city driving, consistently. Verified by myself each time I filled. Now, all of a sudden, I notice I'm getting less mileage. It's down to about 17mpg, with the same type driving. I am very light on the foot, and always let the car coast, and use cruise control when on the highway. I dont' have a heavy foot at all.

What could have changed? Is it the cold weather (live in CT). I just don't get it.
    I was getting like 300miles on 15 gals every time, like clockwork. Now, I'm getting maybe 260-270 miles. I'm about ready to call the dealer, since the car is under warranty until June 2012, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas and happy New Year!
    Gardis
    CT
  • That is probably normal. The factors working against you are:

1. Friction -- all the fluids and greases in your car's rolling hardware are thicker, and require more energy to overcome and get warm.

2. Tire pressure--it will drop 1-2 lbs in cold weather---again, more rolling resistance

3. Driving habits -- if you sit and think about it, you probably are making more short trips where before you would walk, due to the cold weather.

4. Warm-ups -- your engine management system is designed (mapped) for optimum engine temperature, and is less efficient when the engine is cold.

You might consider an engine heater when you park overnight, and inflating or at least checking your tire pressure just a little bit more.
  • ..after the DST change-over, my commute home is in the dark... and, the traffic is a lot worse.. It turns a 30 minute drive into 40 minutes... That eats away at your mileage..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Have an 04 530i, yes the cold will knock it down alot! I am about the same, 19-21 city and much better on highway only.
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    OK Thanks guys. Makes sense. No question, the drop was coincident with the drop in weather temps. I'll keep my eye on it, and thanks again for the advice.
  • Bought my BMW this spring 2009 brand new. At 5K miles, check engine light came on. Fixed 3 times (software update, fuel injector replacement, fuel pump). At about 7500 miles, light came on, lost power and shut off. Luckily I was able to coast to the side of the road. Had to be towed. Had a fuel injector and cylinder replaced (blown to smithereens). Since this was the 4th incident with the check engine light, filed for reimbursement through Lemon Law. Don't consider the case safe to drive as sometimes I am in areas where there is no cell service (so no BMWAssist for a tow). No response from BMW after 30 days. Dealer has been responsive as far as service and all replacements covered under warranty.I know alot of you have experienced the fuel pump issues. Has anyone tried to get reimbursed for purchase or gotten a new vehicle under the Lemon Law? My brother is a Chevy dealer and they automatically start working a deal for the customer on the third repair for the same issue. They will either move the customer into another dealer or return their money. :lemon: