Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    I faced the exact same issue with my '03 530. Have the PP/SP with rain sensing wipers, so went with OEM glass. Car looks and functions like new. Was not going to scrimp on after-market vs. OEM, but did not consider a "used" windshield per Shipo. Had supposed most used windshields would be pitted to some degree, so wanted a smooth all-new look.

Like you, I plan to keep this beautiful car another couple of years. I also leased and then purchased it back via CPO at a number that was very attractive... especially given that it was returned to me after a top to bottom update - even new tires.
  • bmw_mabmw_ma Posts: 1
    I have an 08 535Xi in New England and was wondering if anyone had a failure with the night vision option? I pebble hit the lens and guess what? Get ready for a $5790 repair bill, Evidently they replace and reprogram the entire system. To me, that is absoultely un acceptable. The camera is mounted in the front bumper easily susceptible to little rocks and debris bumping up into it, the fact that they dont make a replaceable lens is crazy. I recomment you DONT get this option. Its just OK in its use and crazy repair costs. Just say no.

Need I mention tires if you have the sport model, They are very hard to get in the NE for some reason. This car is just a pain. I wish I had my 2005 540i back, I would NOT recommend the 2008 535xi sport.!!
  • furqan14furqan14 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 530i. Lately i'm experiencing engine vibration when car is idle (in Park/Neutral/Drive mode) & if i turn the AC on, the vibration increases noticibly. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to guess what's wrong with the car? Havn't had the chance to take it to the dealership as past experiences suggest that they do nothing but suggest a whole bunch of possibilities that MAY eliminate the problem at an insane price! But it helps if i zero in on the problem and then ask them just to fix the particular part.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,421
    Did your insurance cover this cost?

• pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    edited May 2010
    As a follow-up, after going back and forth for awhile, I decided on an after market glass that was almost half the cost ($350) of the BMW glass ($685). The installer comes highly recommended and is the one used by many of the dealerships in the area including BMW. He showed me the after market windshield and I could not tell the difference between the two (except for the BMW logo of course). Everything looked identical. So far, 2 weeks later, I have no regrets. Just an extra $335 in my pocket. Well, not really, because I just bought a new set of Michelin PS2 tires. The old ones lasted just under 25K miles. This is my 3rd full set. They are the best tires for this car. Also, I just put in my 3rd new cup holder. I guess they break as often as the tires wear out. Plus, the car just had its 90K mile service and my mechanic is warning me that now is the time to start watching for cooling system problems. Otherwise, the car is scheduled for a detail next week and still looks and drives great. It even gets over 30 mpg on the highway. Cannot complain about that.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    edited May 2010
    Plus, the car just had its 90K mile service and my mechanic is warning me that now is the time to start watching for cooling system problems.

I'd replace the water pump, t-stat/housing, radiator, and expansion tank in the next 10K-20K. While you are at it you might you should also R&R all of the idler pulleys. It's pretty much a straightforward DIY, if you feel so inclined(3-4 hours if you've never done it before).
    Oh yeah, and get a TEC cupholder.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    roadburner, thanks for the suggestions. I'll put it on my to-do list when the car hits the 100K mark.
    Glad to help! In my case I put off replacing a noisy pulley on my wife's 110K mile 1997 528i and the blasted thing failed while my wife was driving it to work... :(

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ramrramr Posts: 1
    Hi all, I bought a new 2010 535ix with 20 miles. 1 month into I noticed along crank issue ie the car would turn over longer than it shouyld while starting. This apparantly is a known problem. The dealership fixed it but they also updated the car with any software changes. Upon picking up the car I noticed that it drove like my old 2000 Nissan maxima. The gear points had shifted, shifting to early and as a result there was no punch when I tried to accelerate at higher speeds. the dealership mentioned that customers had complained about lurching and BMW had changed the gear shift points in its latest software update. The car has lost its punch and it jerks at every gear transition. Do any of you know about this.
  • mhutchinsonmhutchinson Posts: 17
    Just replaced my '98 549i due to LR Qtr. panel collision. This one is gorgeous. I have the same frequent coolant light warning written about by others. Had it on the '98 as well. Requires about 8-12 oz. fluid each time the light comes on. Did I miss it or is there a likely cause - poor design of/leaky fill tank, etc.? I don't see evidence of fluid under the car or around the hoses, radiator, thermostat housing. My oil is not discolored nor is there any moisture in the oil filler cap.
    Driver side fog light needs replacement. Found the bulb. Need help getting the casing free from the spoiler. This is the oval casing and round lens type. I don't see a pry slot or a screw. Do I have to go in from underneath and behind the casing?
    I think you need to pop the grille out first, then you'll see the bolts that hold the assembly. You have to take it out to replace the bulb.

The "grill"? Do you mean the 6" flat round piece surrounding the lens?
    From the front or the back side?
    Thanks for responding so quickly!
    I'm only looking at a rather bad drawing of the area, and reading what it says to do. Looks like there are little pry-bolts that come out in front?

edited May 2010
    The valley pan gasket may well be the problem. Here's a brief explanation of the repair procedure. It's a long but relatively simple DIY weekend project.

• Thanks. You gently tug/pull the flat plastic cover out towards the front of the car using the round frame around the lens for grip. There are three plastic tabs that will release from the bumper, two inbound from the light and one outbound (it releases last). There is one small bolt behind the cover. The bulb is a #9006 55w.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    My remote unlock/lock feature is inoperative. At first I thought the batteries embedded in the keys were discharged. They are supposed to recharge as you drive but even a 500 mile+ round trip didn't revive them. My indie techs have attempted a "recode" but that didn't work either. Anybody got any ideas other than spending $150 for a new key from BMW?

MY 2000 BMW 528iA (E39).

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 931
    battery could be dead and not capable of holding a charge. The only way to know is to take the key apart and check the battery with a voltmeter.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    They claim that the key cannot be taken apart for battery replacement although some older keys can be.

In any case it seems unlikely that both batteries would fail simultaneously (I have two keys).

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• james27james27 Posts: 433
    Few rechargable batteries last forever, and those in the same batch might very well die at the same time, or nearly the same time. I didn't realize BMW used rechargable batteries in their keyfobs...