Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My 530i 2006 wont start.
    I went for audio issue and they updated the software it wont boot.
    Later they replaced the Computers 4 or 5 times and this week the engineer from BMW came and still no hope.

its CPO car and I took 6 year/100k extended warranty and I already paid 1.5k for one of the computer which was not covered

What are my options?

Can I demand a new car since the car drove fine except it had an audio issue

Thanks,
    VV
  • Just bought a 2011 535 with run flat tires- seems u have no choice and none too happy about it since according to the salesman they are not able to be patched- no. 1- is that true? no. 2- from the manual it looks like you are supposed to only rotate the tires and not the wheels along with the tires- true? and does anyone know about how much the hard drive holds (the thing you can load CD's on- like an ipod- LOVE that! Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The official company line is that they cannot be patched, that said, if you haven't driven the car on the deflated tire, and if the puncture is in the midst of the contact patch (i.e. not in a shoulder), then RFTs can be patched.

Regarding rotation; if you have the same size wheels and tires front versus rear, then you can rotate your tires front to back as well without having to mess with unmounting and remounting the tires.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    You have to reset the TPMS when you move the wheels, but as said, if they are the same size front/rear, you can rotate them. My GT has 40G on the HD, not sure if they use the same as the 'regular' 5-series (the GT is built on the 7 chassis).
  • You can patch them, yes, in most cases.
  • Thanks for that info, all! Glad to hear about the patch thing!!
    !
    Industry standard for RFT is to not patch them. There is no cheap way to verify that the internal structure hasn't been compromised by driving it too far or too fast while flat. Doesn't mean you may not successfully get one patched, but if they adhere to the standards, they may refuse.
    "...but if they adhere to the standards, they may refuse."

As far as I know, there is no "standard" what-so-ever which says RFTs cannot be patched. Do you know different?
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
    So what you're saying is that you agree with me that there are no "Standards". Yes, no?
    Both of them state that there is no good way to determine if the tire was damaged, and after a flat to replace them...while that may not be an 'industry or government' standard, when multiple manufacturers express the same thing, it is a defacto standard. Performing maintenance that is against the manufacturers' recommendations puts the shop in a severe liability situation, and they'll likely refuse to repair a runflat. Now, if you want to do it yourself, that's up to you.
  • FWIW I asked a friend who is a salesman for the Cadillac dealler here abot the run flat thing and he said if it has not been driven on much after the flat then it should be a ble to be patched- I guess what ya'll are saying is that it may be hard to find someone who will do it.
    edited November 2011
    Sorry, your arguments are falling on deaf ears as more and more these days, tire shops are more than willing to do repairs on RFTs. The fact is, there is no "Standard" that says they shouldn't; manufacturer recommendations against repairing are just that, "Recommedations", and as such, are not binding in any way.

With the above said, I am not at all a fan of RFTs, and there is no way I'd have them on any car of mine. If I wind up with a new F30 328i in the next twelve to eighteen months, the odds are it will come from the factory with RFTs, and as soon as I get the car back here to the States (I'll likely do another European Delivery), the RFTs will come off and a set of GFTs will go in their place.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,442
    edited November 2011
    I have had Goodyear RFT's repaired at my local Goodyear (Gemini) tire dealer. While they will not repair ANY tire with a puncture along the outer tread section, they have repaired RFT's on my wife's MINI.

If anyone is inclined to expend the effort, they can find opinions "pro and con" on RFT repair. The fact of the matter seems to be that a qualified, competent tire dealer equipped with the proper RFT mounting equipment can indeed repair RFT's.

From the Continental site link a couple of postings back...

Continental advises that a repair to one of its tires invalidates the
    manufacturer’s warranty.

Seems Continental is against any tire repair, RFT or GFT.
    None of the sites are saying that it isn't possible to make a RFT air tight, it's just that because of the way they are made, and the unknown manner it may have been driven while flat (heat is the big problem, and driving too fast or letting it build up by driving longer than allowed) can compromise it internally that is NOT visible. So, to protect themselves, their policy is to not do it. Independent garages can do what they want, but if you wanted any manufacturer support, you're not likely to get it on a repaired RFT.

I would think that if you treated it like a normal tire, and stopped as soon as you noticed it was flat (although I had one boss that asked me what the 'crown' symbol on his panel mean, as it had been there for months), it should be safely repairable as long as it wasn't in the sidewall area, just like most any tire.

There are a lot of inept people out there that don't have a clue. Then, there's the enthusiast that notices the slightest change. Repair at your discretion, but they all advise it may not be safe. If you know you haven't overdriven it while flat, and it's in a safe spot to patch, I'd try to get one of mine patched.
  • i think it's just their lawyers who wrote that, not their engineers.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,442
    Maybe, but as I stated earlier, I have had Goodyear RFTs repaired at Goodyear company stores. Seems that a company owned store would follow company policy.

I do agree with you, however, that, if the RFT performs as intended, it can be difficult for the untrained eye to make an adequate judgment on the tire. Still, to one with adequate experience, they can tell whether a RFT is worthy of repair.

Like Continental's warranty policy, I doubt any company would warrant a patched RFT... Which seems understandable and reasonable to me.

And, as Mr. Shiftright said... Warranties and such are written by lawyers, not engineers.
    There is no "standard" when it comes to repairing RFTs; many shops will happily perform the repair, and many will not.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    I can easily see tire shops in my part of the world refusing to repair RFTs, given the crap they continue to give me about putting new tires on the steering axles (that'd be the front) of my verhicles. I often replace tires two at a time (rather than all four at once), and the last several times I've had these people tell me that new tires should "always" go on the rear. B.S. There may be some merit to that in climates where it may rain once in awhile and/or snow, but here in the desert dictating where tires should be placed based on some over- or under-steer study interpreted by some lawyer someplace is completely irrelevant.

That, and I've had them refuse to repair GFTs because they were "too worn," even though the wear bars weren't making contact with the pavement at all, let alone clear across.

In short, they won't do what I request, and I can see the same thing happening with RFTs, particularly if the other option is to sell a $250-300 new tire.

I fear this is partly due to the flurry of lawsuits resulting from the Ford Exploder fiasco 10 or 15 years ago, combined with the desire to sell as many new tires as possible.