Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mickmickmickmick Posts: 4
    Hi. I too have a 2000 528 that also makes the noise at 75-80 mph. If you get any info please get back to me mickmick.

My car also has very noisy brakes. see my no. 13 post.

THanks

Rich

you can email me directly at luckyman6777@hotmail.com
  • twinnertwinner Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a certified 1998 528, and have noticed a very hard, jolting shift when the car reaches about 20 or 25 mph. I have also noticed that, after I stop and put the car in park, the car jolts and jerks backwards. I took it to the dealer, who told me this is perfectly normal and I shouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure I trust his response....?
  • twinnertwinner Posts: 3
    I've noticed a couple minor squeaks and rattles when going over bumps in my 98 528iA. I believe they may be coming from inside the rear door panels, or perhaps from the rear sunshades. Only a mild annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. I'm not sure how to strategiclly apply WD40, without taking apart the rear door panels.

Anyone encountered this before? Any good advice?
  • jccsscjccssc Posts: 44
    mickmick - please see my posted message to avl2001 about the "whistling" noise at 75-80mph problem in "sedan - 5-series" section. Good luck.
  • Ok this isn't earth shattering but as my friend and I both have the same problem I thought I'd ask.
    We both have a 2001 525. I went to the dealer (as did he) and had them program two of my keys. This would hopefully allow both my wife and me to be able to open the door and have the seat in the correct position.
    The dealer said that the key remembers the last person to use the key and would put the seat back in the position it was when that key was used.
    This has never worked. I thought I was going nuts until my friend said the same thing happens to him and his wife.
    Does anyone have a good explanation of how this works.
    Thanks
  • pok1pok1 Posts: 1
    I have two questions on which I hope someone can provide some advice. I'm presently looking to purchase either a 2002 530 or 540. While I've test driven both cars, neither had the sport suspension.

Question #1 I live in the Midwest and snow is a problem. Both dealers have told me I will have to replace the 17" tires with 16" all weather tires in winter. One dealer also indicated that the car still will not handle very well, even with the 16's, because of the sport suspension.

Question #2 If all of the above is true, does the suspension make enough of a difference in performance to warrant the additional expense involved with a second set of tires and rims?
  • A guy I know has a Mercedes C43 AMG with the sport package. It performs abysmally in the snow, and one solution he is considering is the purchase of an additional set of tires to be used in the winter.

We went on a ski trip last April, and his was the only car that could not make it up the mountain to our condo. Even my RWD 5-series BMW made it up with no problem. Even getting his car moving on a flat surface, with some pushing, was a problem in the snow. The traction was terrible.

I therefore think that based upon where you live, a set of winter tires is necessary at a minimum to make sure that you can get around. Try to find out if others have used them and how effective they are. That I don't know, but I do know that with a sport suspension and regular tires, you will go through hell in the winter in snowy areas of the midwest.
  • has anyone else found the standard audio system a bit subpar. If so, what recommendations do you have on upgrading?
  • rkt88rkt88 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 528i wagon I bought used at 12k miles. BMW did a service at that time but now at 20K three green dots appear on the dash which BMW says approx 6K more until service. Isn't this too long between oil changes? (14K) And is the "free maintenance really free for A and B service?
    Lar
  • rkt88rkt88 Posts: 3
    Reply to K message #21 and Rich #22; I too have a high pitch noise in my 20K mile 2000 528i at 70+MPH and I can vary the sound by getting on and off the accellerator. It sounds like gear whine from the rear end. Mine is an automatic 4 speed with 4:11 rear axle ratio according to the facts book. I have not mentioned it to the dealer yet but plan to and next service. If it is what I think it is it could be an expensive fix.
    Lar
  • Question is it possible to purchase dust covers to go behind the wheels to keep the disc brake dust off the rims ???????

Ty Bowink@cfl.rr .com
  • My dealer cautions that if you get the sport suspension you must get 4 snow tires to drive in the winter here (Rochester NY - 130 inches of snow annually).

I found the sport suspensions I have driven have increased cornering ability and are confidence inspiring. However, while not harsh, they are in a word abrupt. In handling interstate road imperfections it can be annoying and not as enjoyable on long trips as the standard suspension.

My 2001 525iat sport wagon has a perfect 50-50 weight distribution and handles like a sports car.
    The all season COntinential H rated tires are a great compromise and handle very well in snow and ice. In fact it is all but impossible to lose control on solid ice due first and foremost to the skid control program. This would no be true with the sport suspension standard summer tires.

Hope this helps.
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 67
    How much would I expect to receive from dealer in the event I trade in my 01 530ia? The car has most major options (prem. sound etc.)and only 6800 miles.
  • What would you trade your 530ia for? Where are you and why do you want to sell it? I am looking for either a 2000 or 2001 with low miles. If you want, you can e-mail me with the specific options your car has to Hayawan2@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
    Spyderred
  • cheeks, you should definitely use the TMV Used Vehicle Appraiser to get a general idea of what to expect. Nothing (except an actual buyer!) can give you an exact price, but you'll at least have a ballpark.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I recently bought a 2002 530i. The battery will not hold its charge longer than 4 days without running the vehicle. The battery runs dead, and needs to be jumped started. Interesting enough, the dealer said the exact same thing happened to another 2002 530i owner who bought the same model at the same dealership I bought mine. They tested his battery and it held a charge in the shop. But when he took it home a second time, the exact same thing happened again to him. Now, my 530i is in the dealership today (12/28/01) to review the exact problem. Something is running the battery down. Any clues?
  • gerry18gerry18 Posts: 39
    klevey wrote Sep 2, 01, "Ok this isn't earth shattering but as my friend and I both have the same problem I thought I'd ask.
    We both have a 2001 525. I went to the dealer (as did he) and had them program two of my keys. This would hopefully allow both my wife and me to be able to open the door and have the seat in the correct position.
    The dealer said that the key remembers the last person to use the key and would put the seat back in the position it was when that key was used.
    This has never worked."

I was told the same thing by my salesman with my 2002 530i. I never saw a response to klevey's note. Is the salesman correct? If so, any ideas on what we could possibly be doing wrong?
  • lgrosslgross Posts: 55
    My 2002 530i was programmed by the dealer to operate the way you describe, but it too has never operated that way. However, we decided it was safer to just press the memory button on the door (no need to hold it if the door is still open) since we avoid problems if something is on the floor in the back. Therefore, we didn't take it back to "fix" it.
  • gerry18gerry18 Posts: 39
    Thanks for the advice. I will try to remember to ask first time the 530 goes in for normal service. But until then we, too, will just use the memory buttons.

Gerry
  • We have a 2001 525i and the memory works as advertised. When you press a memory button on the door, that profile gets assigned to the key in the ignition (car should be running). When you unlock the car with that key, the profile is activated.

The car always assigns the profile when you press a memory button so you can always reassign a key. The only thing that is bound to the key is DRLs and double-click all door unlock.

As a note, we had to have the programming done twice, I guess they just didn't get it right the first time. After that, everything worked the way it should. If you just can't seem to make it happen, take it back to the dealer and show them.