Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• car_rmcar_rm Posts: 47
    What I have found with my approved Motorola phone is that when I go into the communication menu, my phone book from the phone is does not show. By pushing the iDrive knob down into the dial pad and then back up again, the letter selections for the phone book appear. The faster way to access my phone book was to customize one of the buttons to bring up the phone book.

If that doesn't work, the cost of a new phone will be peanuts compared to the joy of driving the car!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm, interesting. Both our 1998 and our 2003 Dodge Caravans suffer from "Centered Needleitis". The only time I ever saw either of them off center (other than a cold start that is) was when we had the 1998 loaded to the gills climbing an extremely steep mountain with a hair-pin curve every quarter of a mile. One instant the needle was centered, the next, it was pegged to the right. Uh-oh!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmw2001nzbmw2001nz Posts: 2
    Hello there, it seems you know a lot about bmw cars. we have a bmw530i 2001 used car, bought today, done 32500kms. When accelerating to apr. 110 k, there is an increase engine sound, sort of low brrrrrm that resonance with small amount of tremble of the steering wheel and the rest of the car. If I take the foot of the gas peddle all is quiet again. Are you able to diagnose what that might be and what should be done to fix it? Thanks, Dieke
    Ohhh, that's a tough one. Hmmm, from the sounds of it, it sounds like you have something in the car that is setting up a harmonic resonance, like maybe the exhaust system. A couple of questions:

1) Has the car ever been in an accident?
    2) Does the car have the complete factory exhaust system fully intact?

If I understood what you were describing correctly, your car develops this harmonic while passing through 110 kph threshold while under full acceleration.

3) Does the harmonic occur later, at a higher speed if you are already doing 110 before you depress the throttle?
    4) Does the harmonic dissappear at some arbitrary higher speed, say 175 or 200 kph?

If I think of any more questions, I'll post them as they occur to me. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bmw2001nzbmw2001nz Posts: 2
    Thanks for your quick reply Shipo.

No accidents and all factory systems fully intact, according to seller from the caryard(not a BMW dealer, but Singaporian car dealer). It is a Singapore import, germany made car. And it has been serviced by a bmw workshop with a tick on oil services. Still if you think it is worth doing we can have it checked out by another bmw workshop.

We did some more driving this morning and can be a bit more specific i hope:

the harmonic occurs while slow accelerating from 104 and 115 k, not a hard foot on pad el, and when speed limit exceeding 110/115 it results in the reducing/disappearing of the sound.

When fast accelerating( full accelerating, maybe) between say 100 and 140 k, no harmonic was noticed. Further today less resonance, not in steering wheel. Only the different brrrrrm noise from the engine.

We tried doing slow accelerating and keeping the speed range from about 105-110/115 with revolution panel at about 2.2-2.5 l/mins, which brings out the noise and small vibration comes with it.

It did not occur during any other speed/accelerating interval. Hope this give bit more information for this issue.
    Looking forward to your response, thanks, dieke
  • cassidymcassidym Posts: 108
    This is very sound advice. I have a 2005 545i six-speed and bought an approved Motorola to use with it. At first, I couldn't get it to pair up so I drove over to the dealer and the salesman said he could get it working. He couldn't. So he got at tech who fiddled with it for a while but couldn't get it to work properly. Finally, I chased them both out of the car and figured it out on my own. When I pair the phone, it takes about 4 minutes for the phonebook to download. Once that's done, it works gerat and is a joy to use on the road. The voice command makes calling very effortless.

So, moral of the story, buy an approved phone.
  • chgolatin2chgolatin2 Posts: 1
    I just recently purchase my 5 series, 98 model. Would like to replace the cassette deck into a single cd player instead of opting for the trunk cd changer option. Where besides the dealer can I find the item that I am looking for???

Also, looking to replace all factory speakers. Any recommendations?

Finally, where in the Chicago, Illinois area can I find a certified, reputable bmw service mechanic, of course, besides the dealer option?

Thanks to all for the help!
  • krautsledkrautsled Posts: 1
    I would be interested to hear if anyone relpied to your alarm inquiry. I am trouble shooting the same problem with my 99' 528 and may just disable the alarm rather than lose anymore friends....
  • adareadare Posts: 6
    I would be interested in thoughts on Comfort seats and whether they are something to be seriously considered as a replacement for the standard front seats in a 2001 530 (Australia)?
    Am delighted with the 20 thousand kilometres car, but believe that the standard seats are not supportive, particularly under the thighs. Are there readers out there who have experienced both types of seat? Are there improvements that can be made? :surprise: I am 6 foot tall. Comment appreciated!
  • e39_touringe39_touring Posts: 13
    Does the shuddering go away if you put the car in neutral (coast down from 140 to 100 or so)?

It could be a failing driveshaft center bearing. This will usually make a shudder felt through the whole car upon accelleration at certain speeds.

Tom

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    I have the comfort seats in my 2002 530i and I love them, but I do not believe they have more thigh support than the standard seats. Comfort seats claim to fame is the articulated back rest. Sport seats have the additional thigh support.
  • hihomikehihomike Posts: 111
    I own a 2006 BMW 530i. A few days after taking delivery, a message appeared on my driver information screen (between speedometer and tachometer) in orange showing SOS with a line through it. Then, when I went to find out what the error message was, it showed that BMW assist and SOS were not functioning. Took car in, and of course they couldn't duplicate it. Then, it happened three more times. Each time it happens, my system (BMW assist) goes down for about 10 minutes, then comes back up, but still not totally functional. The next morning, when I start up the car, I don't have the error message any longer.

Anyone else have this problem with their BMW assist. I'm taking it back again, and of course it won't happen for them, but I'm wondering if this is a problem inherent in the system with any other cars. Sure would like to know.

Thanks all!
  • adareadare Posts: 6
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    :confuse: A minor suggestion has been made to me regarding the 530i badge on back of the car - to remove it! Unsure whether to do so or not. It may improve the look, it may be a devaluation of the car in the eyes of some. Thoughts from those who have/have not would be appreciated.
  • 530_lover530_lover Posts: 7
    I have 2005 530i . It happened once that when i drove my car for about 1 KM that the mirror was twisted in the opposite direction then i stopped and then i press the button to twisit it into the normal direction then every thing was great. Does it happened usually in the 5 seirs any one has experienced the same situation.
    :surprise:
  • davis177davis177 Posts: 5
    I have had my 2005 525 for 14 days, and today the trunk will not lock, I have tried everything, but it appears that when I go to shut the empty trunk the latch will not lock. The trunk when pushed down is flush to the rest of the body, but the latch does not click.
    I need to use my car very early Monday morning, I can get by without the use of the trunk. Since I can not find a service department that is open tomorrow this is my only choice.
    Is there a solution I am missing. If I can't get it fixed how can I lock the trunk from the inside?
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Make sure the latch is lining up properly with the hook (or whatever you call it) that's supposed to catch it. This happened to our car two years ago at 5 PM on Friday when we were supposed to leave at 7 AM Saturday for the beach. The car is an Avalon, but good luck finding anyone to repair it on Friday night. I called my pals at Lexus and they fixed it. All they did was help it into place. IIRC, they hit it with a hammer until it moved enough (a mm or so) to catch.
  • pecos66pecos66 Posts: 1
    My 1990 535i cruise control works, but weakly. It keeps speed on level, but not up hills. Also, CC acceleration (pushing the stalk) is excrutiatingly weak. The car has only 78000 miles and is otherwise in great shape. Anyone have any idea what the problem probably is and whether there's any simple fix? Dealer says CC repairs usually run $1000. I wouldn't mind spending $500, but $1000 and I have to think whether it's worth fixing. Any help is much appreciated.
  • 530_lover530_lover Posts: 7
    In my 2005 530 i got a problem with A/C that it looks like compressor is not working untill i move the car. What is the reason? please A/C compressor is not working when the car is stable after i drive for short time it worked. Is this normal or there is a problem?
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    I do not think that is normal.

Regards,
    José
  • jasjas Posts: 115
    What do you mean by the A/C compressor is not working? You do not feel cold air blowing or you know that the compressor has not engaged?

What is the ambient temperature and how long until it blows cold air?

On hot days, I find that it takes a little bit for the system to start blowing cold air? I have not timed it, but it is not instantaneous. Also, I would think, depending on how hot it is and what speeds you are driving, that whether you have the recirc function enable will make a slight difference.

Also, there are settings in the idrive (under the climate menu) that you can program how aggressive you want the HVAC system to achieve a desired temperature.
    Were you able to get your trunk to latch? How did you fix it?
    Anyone have any ideas why my 02 530i has started drinking oil? No leaks, and no burning odor. I bought it in December at 45K, and added a quart several weeks (and several hundred miles) ago. But last night the light came on again, and I was down another quart. I just turned over 52K yesterday.
  • hihomikehihomike Posts: 111
    I just got a brand new Motorola V-330. It just came out last week. I set it up with my bluetooth BMW (530i '06) and not only did it work perfectly, it also downloaded my entire address book right into the car's computer.

I am with T-mobil and they use a SIM card. That may be why it downloaded all numbers.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    Do you add synthetic oil?

Was the ca off-lease? Do you have the service history?
    Yes, x3. Everything is kosher.
    The service advisor at BMW told me that I should expect to add a quart every 1000 miles. Does this sound right? It doesn't to me, because I went over 5000 miles before the engine light came on the first time, but I hadn't gone even another 1000 before it lit up again.
    "The service advisor at BMW told me that I should expect to add a quart every 1000 miles. Does this sound right?"

The short answer is no. Ask him to produce any BMW literature to support his claim.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • banglenotbanglenot Posts: 31
    Well, it happened to me. Must have leaned on the trunk button while the key was in my pocket. Came out this morning to find it open after a steady rain last night. Anyone know how to disable this, so the trunk doesn't spring up when the opener is activated. Thanks.
    On the 02 5ers, you can disable the remote opener by turning the key in the trunk lock to horizontal.
  • khoonkhoon Posts: 85
    I had a similar issue with a 1999 MB-ML320 and the dealer and the MB rep fed me the same line that its within specs for the car to guzzle 1 Qt per 1K miles. If the car is still under warranty fight it tooth and nail!