Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    conspiracy theorist, are we? lol

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Well, now that you mention it, I DID see a black helicopter circling Town Hall yesterday...
  • Once you've talked with BMW, please come back and let us know what happened. It may be helpful for other owners with the same issue.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I’ve read that Mitsubishi has voided warranties based on information owners have provided in web forums, specifically with the Evo. Now, I’m not sure of what the legal implications are, but if you provide that reference number, you’ve identified yourself to them and anything you say here can be linked to your situation IN WRITING. Therefore, what sense does it make to provide the number? You’ll be getting a reference number when you contact them directly anyway. Are forum posters getting any preferential treatment?
    In BMWNA's defense..

They do this on a lot of forums, and they are very open about it...

Many people don't know they have other options, if they are dissatisfied with their dealer... I think they are just being proactive.. Sure, if you know about contacting them directly, then, no problem.. At least this way, someone can look up what you are talking about, instead of starting from scratch.. But, like div2 says, black helicopters have been spotted..

You can't get your problem resolved without identifying yourself, I don't think... But, pull your blinds, just in case...lol

regards,

kyfdx

The Mitsu EVO thing was true...

Someone blew up their new car while racing it, then proceeded to brag on-line about how they screwed Mitsubishi.... I guess the joke was on them... I have no problem with that..

regards,

kyfdx

I agree; if you are racing the car on a track you should lose your powetrain warranty. OTOH, I've heard of Mitsu(and BMW) dealers denying coverage on a car that was only used in an autocross. I think it's rather hypocritical of Mitsubishi to run ads which promote movies like 2Fast 2Furious and feature photos of EVOs running in Pro Rallies when they are yanking warranty coverage for running a Solo II event...
    In fairness to BMW I should mention that my service experiences with them have been impeccable. Best service I have ever experienced. That said, I question the purpose and propriety of posting information that should be private to both BMW and their customers.

“You can't get your problem resolved without identifying yourself…”

I think you are missing my point. Of course you have to identify yourself. What I am saying is that by giving BMWNA the reference number they provide here, you also provide them access to everything you write in this forum. Take it from there.

With regard to the black helicopters, that’s hilarious. However if none of us ever saw them I guess we wouldn’t need to use pseudonyms as screen names, scrutinize contracts, hire lawyers, lock our doors etc.

;-)
  • pranchpranch Posts: 4
    Has anyone else besides me had to have their bmw in the shop 4 or 5 times before they drove the car 100 miles? I bought the car 3 days before Christmas and had to take it back to the shop to re initialize the bmw roadside assist feature. Did not drive the car again until the Monday after Christmas. The Tuesday after Christmas the i-drive went out. Had to take it to the dealership so they could tell me to bring it back the next day, so they could re boot the computer. The next day that did not work so they told me they would order a part. Was gone on vacation until the 10th of Jan. Came back they told me they needed the car to try some other bmw suggested fixes. Left the car with dealer for 3 days. Went and picked up yesterday. Satellite radio won't work, phone won't work and a couple of other things. The dealer tells me he doesn't know how to fix it and says he can't get his service rep. to return his call to tell him how to. How in the world did this car rate a 9.2 on this web-sites rating scale. I thought BMW was suppose to be a quality automobile. Guess I was wrong.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    BMW is a quality automobile with questionable electronics suppliers. Unfortunately, they do have the final say in how all sub-assemblies and components are "screwed together".

That said, your dealer should be embarassed beyond words and should have the regional BMW reps on this in a big way. What the German engineers who design and build these fine cars need to understand is the manner in which consumers perceive quality.

In your case, it matters little that BMW may offer the best driving experience on the road... it doesn't function properly! Japan, Inc. has this figured out and applies lean production/testing methods that virtually eliminate these snafu's.

I must say that my 2003 e39 has been the best in my long automotive ownership experience. Also was the last in the platform lineage, so most every kink worked out. In today's era, you'd better launch a pretty-near defect free car if you want to achieve or even maintain hard earned brand status.
    As many of us are now well aware of, all cars with added electronics come with an added risk. All German cars, NONE excluded, are becoming notorious. Some of us take our chances and hope our number doesn't come up. If this happened to me I'd be right on a buyback course of action. A dealer attempting to fix is one thing, but his assertion that he doesn't know how to fix it is unacceptable especially with a car that is brand spanking new. Too bad a lot of red tape is involved but unfortunately that's the way it is.

I hope you keep us informed. An owner of a new Porsche 911 (among others) is going through the same thing and unfortunately it took him 7 visits to service and 3 months before Porsche offered to buy the car back. However they wanted to deduct for usage. He didn't accept this and told them he would be keeping the car and taking his story to the press and web forums. His thread in one of the forums has garnered 40K hits to highly-targeted Porsche owners, many of whom stated that they cancelled impending orders based on his story. Porsche finally agreed to buy it back at full price so, as they say, the squeaky wheel gets greased.

It has been said that BMW bought back a certain number of 7-series due to electronic failures. Seems to me your car qualifies. I hope BMWNA agrees and makes this as painless as possible for you, either that or fixes it pronto. In the meantime, I hope you have a comparable loaner.

By the way, it was reported that the problem with the 911 was a faulty central electronic control unit, similar to the motherboard on a computer and that Porsche was having a hard time supplying the parts bins. Amazing that this could not be anticipated and diagnosed quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the same type of situation with your car. I guess they have to start staffing IT people if they want to pursue this kind of design. Seems the IT pros have no problem putting things in working order. The auto manufacturers seek them out in the design phase, now they have to follow up with them in the maintenance phase. One word to the car manufacturers… duh.

I'd like to know more about the details of the 7-series buybacks, especially the root of the problems but it has been reported that one of BMW's terms was that the owners sign a non-disclosure waiver. Hopefully these customers got a total refund, fees and taxes included, as opposed to the lemon-law provisions which allow a deduction for usage.

BMW is reaping the whirlwind for cramming their new models with flashy gadgetry aimed at attracting status seeking technogeeks who want to wear-not drive-their "Ultimate Posing Machine". I'd bet that a majority of new 5er owners-"drivers" is probably too generous a term-think "lateral Gs" and "weight transfer" are exercise routines. And they believe that "lift-throttle oversteer" is a band from Seattle.

That's OK; my next BMW is going to have a fiberglass body and an M88 engine...:)

Giugiaro was criticized for being "heavy-handed" with this mid-engine baby. Imagine that--Now "heavy-handed" is in style. Yep, buying an M1 is one rational solution to today's problems. I'll take this, an 89 M6 or E39 M5.
    I have a 2000 Corvette that I drive. I wanted something that would somewhat blend, sport and comfort. I always heard that Vette's where notorious for problems but so far I have had more problems from the BMW in 3 weeks than I have with the Vette in 4 years.
    I owned a 1988 M6 for three years. It was a fabulous car(especially after the catalyst accidentally fell off one day and the ECU got a new chip). The M6s have also held their value quite well. That said, if you want an equivalent driving experience for less money, you may want to consider an E28 M5. Granted, the angular and upright styling of the E28 can't hold a candle to the svelte curves of the M6, but the all-around performance is identical. I have a friend that has offered me his very clean Dinan-suspended 300 hp M5 for under $12K. Tempting.

As for my future M Eine, it HAS to be Henna Red-that's simply not negotiable.
    It sounds like a new Impala would be right up your alley. Perhaps it's trade in time?
    Perhaps your right Mr. Andretti
    The only problem I have with an M1 is that it is a collectible. Drive it and you'll pay. More than a new 911 which is what I think it's comparably priced with? I don't know. I guess you more than anyone around here would tend to know nearly every M1 and it's situation. In the end I guess passion and desire rules. I wound up turning my back on the Ms for deal on Boxster S. Full warranty was a big factor. I figured if the honeymoon didn't last I could get out as easy as possible. However I was very close to getting an 89 M6 and 01 M5. Boxsters have taken a hit so there was no advantage there. However it has turned out to be worth it for me. I never get sick of driving it. But no matter which cars I get I know I will always want others. What happened to your M6?
    As you know, the 6ers have heavily contoured rear seats that look as if they were lifted straight from a Gemini Command Module. Our first-and only-child came along and it was a royal hassle to try and fit a rear-facing child seat into the back seat. I decided to find an E28 M5 and put the M6 up for sale. It sold two days after the ad in the chapter newsletter came out. The buyer later sold it to an originality freak who reinstalled the horrible TRX tire/wheel package and(I think)reinstalled the cat and removed the Dinan chip, thereby losing almost 50 bhp. While all this was going on I was having a devil of a time finding a decent M5. I was still looking when a friend of mine at Fields BMW in Chicago told me that she had a production spot for a 318ti Club Sport. I was able to order one to my exact specifications(limited slip, Premium Sound, no sunroof), and the rest is history. Like your Boxster S, I never get tired of driving the Club Sport. It may not have retina-detaching acceleration but I find I can burn down a twisting two lane at a very brisk rate. It also doesn't hurt that service and repair costs have averaged less than $30/month for the nearly ten years I've owned the little bobtail. That said, I have always planned to get another M car- now I've about decided that that I'm going to assemble a collection of pre-1990 Motorsport cars- E12 M535i(Euro), M1, E28 M535i(Euro), E28 M5, M635i/M6, and an E30 M3. The reason I love the M1 is that it is a true exotic with a legitimate competition pedigree. And, after talking with other M1 owners, I've found that servicing and repair costs are not much more than those of a 930-and MUCH less than a Ferrari or Lambo(I almost bought an Espada once-luckily I dodged THAT bullet).
    The dealership still says they can't get their service rep. to return their call. I guess they must have taken off for the holiday. Tomorrow I go to the dealership and do not leave till I talk to the owner. Either I get my car fixed or my money back. This car parked in front of the dealership with a poster of a big lemon on it ought to be real cute.