Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I got the Sirius installed in my 2005 5 series. I have noticed that although there is no delay in the music coming up when changing stations/channels, the display information of the song is usually delayed 3-5 seconds after changing channels. Does anyone else have this issue or does your music information come up immediately as the song begins to play after changing channels?

Also, is there any way of seeing what songs are playing in the other stations while listening to a particular station? Right now, I only see the name of the stations, but not the names of the songs being played on the other channels.
  • mch2mch2 Posts: 36
    I have a 2003 530i. Recently the alarm has been randomly going off, sometimes for less than a minute and sometimes for almost 30 minutes before shutting off by itself. The problem has occured at work (a co-worker of mine who owns an Audi says when he armed his car my alarm went off even though there was no one anywhere near the car) and at home when the car is sitting in the garage. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • don22don22 Posts: 1
    Two weeks ago I bought a used 545i after having it inspected and carfax reported. Since owning the car its been at the service center 6 of the 11 days. Seems to be mostly computer problems with the instrument panel. Has anyone else experienced these problems or did I stumble upon a lemon? Thanks.
  • I have a 2001 530i and am on my third battery. The dealer has been telling me it is just a bad cell and is replacing the battery. I am a little suspicious on the second go round, particularly when that battery lasted less than a year. Is anyone aware of any electrical issues with the 530 that may be draining the batteries?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Has the dealer checked the current draw after the computers have gone to sleep? Three batteries in four years is a bit excessive; my 1995 3er and 1997 5er still have their original batteries.
  • sfjudokasfjudoka Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1999 528. For the past couple of months, especially in the mornings, my car has been stalling. I would turn on the car to let it warm up, then after a few minutes, the engine would turn off by itself or when I shift the car to drive then the engine would turn off. I would have to turn on the car again each time and then it would be fine. Sometimes the battery/traction warning lights would come on as well but would not show up when I restart the car.

Anyone else with this problem?

I never had this problem with other non-BMW cars starting up in the mornings.
  • They say they checked to see if there was any draw on the battery but couldn't find anything. I definitely agree that three batteries is excessive and getting two bum batteries seems to be a bit of a strech as well. I think something is not quite right and I don't have a lot of confidence in this dealer's service department.
  • i have a bmw 535i and when i stop or put it in gear the clutch sticks and i have to put my foot under it for it to get back up. do you know what causes that?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,651
    535i? How old is this car?

My guess is your hydraulic clutch hoses are collapsing from age.. Or possibly the slave cylinder...

IOW, major clutch work..

regards,
    kyfdx

p.s. just spotted it... 1990.. Could be anything, but those are my best guesses.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    As a point of reference, I seem to recall that there was an E39 535i with a 3.5 liter V8 as recently as 2002 or even 2003, just not in North America.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It is in her bio... 1990 model..

Probably the cheapest solution is to buy shoes with the left toe reinforced, for pulling up that clutch with your foot.. ;)

Ahhh, got it. Now we are all on the same page. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    You guys have to read the fine print. It's an 86...she said the years didn't go down that far.
    Sheez! I hadn't even gotten to her bio yet and I'd already screwed it up again. My bad! :blush:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    I was looking at the German BMW web site a few days ago and they still make 535s gas and diesel. Also the BMW Groupe web site has a web cam always on the new delivery center. I think welt or something like that is what you need to find.
    Jeez... even when I'm right, I'm wrong... :surprise:

The older it is, the more I think I'm right, though.. I'm not all that familiar with the E28, but I'm betting on collapsed rubber lines in the hydraulic clutch system..

(pretty confident for a guy that got his socket set from Big Lots).

regards,
    kyfdx

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    bimmerchick05,

This may sound naive, but I think you should first check if the floor mat is catching/holding the clutch. Just in case. ;)

Best regards,

José
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Oh no, it's never naive to rule out the horse before looking for the zebra.
  • cassidymcassidym Posts: 108
    Sounds like you got a lemon. Is it an 04 or 05? I was going to buy a 2004 545 but my Service writer talked me into waiting till the 2005's came out. Said there were problems with the software in the 04 just like there were software problems with the first year of the new 7-Series.

Anyway, I got an 05 545 and it has run flawlessly and I've put close to 12,000 miles on it since November

My Service writer told me that BMW was reloading the software on the 04's