Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    I'll agree with you. I have to yank the handle of my 2001 E39 to the highest point before the brake will hold, and even then I don't trust it on a steep incline. I will have it checked out the next time it goes in for a service. In fact, when I occasionally drive my son's Accord and use his parking brake, he complains because I have pulled it up so high. I've been conditioned. :surprise:
  • nrowdernrowder Posts: 1
    Speaking of rattles, I have a VERY MINOR problem on my 2006 530i. The steering wheel buttons (seems to be mainly the volume control button on the left) seem to be rattling/buzzing at speeds >50mph. Has anyone else noticed this? It stops if I put my thumb on the button, but I obviously don't want to drive around like this constantly. This is a very minor issue, and it isn't even that loud, but I was just wondering if there was a solution...Thanks.
  • I am wondering where to start looking for a solution to this car having a slow pick up and then having it act like it is misfiring. All the plugs are new and all sparking as they should. Any suggestions as to where to start looking next. I was thinking it may be a fuel pump problem or even a gas problem as the car had been sitting for a few NY winter months without being started.
  • In regards to your question, some of your best mechanics for BMW are in NYC. I do not think you are going to save much money by going to SC to have the work done if you consider the price of gas these days, and the cost and wear and tear on your car if you are only taking it there for this purpose. One of the best mechanics is located in the Bronx and his labor rates are exceptional. You may want to check into his garage. It is a small Neighborhood garage.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    That's a known problem on the e60 (or at least I've seen more than a few posts on other boards). Take it to the dealer, and I'm sure they'll take care of it without a problem.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I'd inspect ALL the ignition components and I would also inspect all of the vacuum and intake hoses for any cracks or leaks. A shop can measure the fuel system pressure to see if it is within BMW specs.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    When I bought mine, I found it very difficult to set the PB, and in fact I actually pulled a muscle (ribcage) trying. I asked them to adjust it, which they did to my satisfaction. The only residual quirk I notice is that on steep inclines I have to yank it up one more notch. I also keep it in gear on hills, but I've always done that.

But I've also always pulled the PB to the highest easily-achieved position, except on hills where I yank one more notch...nothing special about BMW here.
  • quemfalaquemfala Posts: 107
    Simple! The rest of the world doesn't rush to "sue" as we do here in the States. BMW is just covering it's rear, in case of lawsuits. Remeber the Ford Explorer fiasco. If there was a real study done on that mess, most all of the trouble lay in the hands of the owners and drivers, but it didn't matter. Sue, sue & sue again!
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    "If there was a real study done on that mess, most all of the trouble lay in the hands of the owners and drivers."

The recent research seems to disagree with your theory. Click on the link below, scroll down in the Further Coverage section to "Attention Shifts From Firestone to Ford Explorer" article.

link titlehttp://www.sptimes.com/News/webspecials/firestone/
  • yurygyuryg Posts: 15
    I had similar problem... twice. The first occurred when the car was 2 months as 2k mile old. Dealer performed "wheel re-centering" and the issue was solve, but only for a few months. The 2nd time, dealer performed wheel alignment, charged me $230, but the problem was not fixed. I resigned myself to driving a brand new car with an unfixable wheel alignment and hence no driving enjoyment, until luckily (if that's the proper term), a few weeks later a "4WD-DTS" warning light lit up. I took the car to dealer and presto - diagnosable problem, for which the dealer can charge BMW and thus fix. The "wheel angle sensor" was replaced (in the words of a service rep: "a frequent problem. its a new part and BMW is still working out the quirks"), and the mis-alignment was fixed. But only for a month, after which (at 7k miles) the steering lost its "responsiveness" (ie, the great "Ultimate driving machine" feel) and feels loose with no feedback. PS Mine is a 530xi, with a slightly different steering mechanics, but the service's blame of the road contour was the same.
  • khc8869khc8869 Posts: 3
    I own a 2003 530i and last night I ran over a pothole and the car seemed to jiggle a little but the DSC light didn't come on or anything but as i was pulling into my drive way, there was a loud metal grinding or screeching noise which seemed like it was coming from around the front tires or the brakes. The noise lasted for good 10-15 seconds. Could hitting a pothole possibly cause something to malfuction temporarily, like the DSC or ABS system? Cause I drove the car a little later and the noise wasn't there. I've never had this problem before even after hitting plenty of potholes. Has anyone had a similar problem like this and should I be concerned? Please help.
    It sounds like you had a small rock caught between a brake rotor and its dust shield. I live at the end of a long gravel driveway and it seemed that my wife's E39 would pick up a rock every couple of months. Sometimes backing the car up a few feet would eject the pebble. Other times the pebble would quickly wear down and fall out. In any case it's nothing to worry about.
    I own an '06 530xi with 7k miles. A few weeks ago steering wheel lost much of it's resistance and the typical BMW feedback almost completely disappeared. That is, normally, the steering is tight, especially at highway speeds - a small turn of the steering wheel directs the car in the desired direction. However, now the wheel feels very loose, it has less resistance than my wife's 4 year old truck. Additionally, I've noticed two related effects: 1. it feels that I need to rotate the steering wheel more than before to turn the same angle on the corners, and 2. car feels less taut, more like a large Lincoln Town car. My dealer mechanic looked at the car, but could not find anything wrong with it. I then test drove my car and another 530xi with him and then he agreed that my steering is different, however after communicating with technicians in Germany they could not find a problem. No computer errors were detected. I now dread driving the car that I loved to drive. Has anyone heard of something like this. Please help.
  • fasrfasr Posts: 6
    I have a 1994 540iA with about 111K miles on it. Replaced the engine about 93K miles. I'm having a recent issue with the transmission. For some reason, the "D" icon that is supposed to appear on the dash to indicate the car is in "drive" does not show up all the time. All the other gears are working fine. In fact, if I pull and hold back the shifting stick a little bit further from its locked position, then the "D" on the dash reappears. With or without the "D" on the dash, the car is driving fine, shifting smoothly. Sometimes though it sounds like the engine may be a little louder than normal in lower gears. Anybody have any idea what the problem might be? Any help would be appreciated.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I had a similar problem in an old 325. I never bothered to find out what the cause was but I also did not experience and ill-effect from this. My guess would be dirty or bad electrical contact on the gear selector based on your description (and my experience)
  • khc8869khc8869 Posts: 3
    div2...

Now that I think back, on that day, after I hit the pothole I noticed that there were a lot of pebbles on the street on my way home. What you're telling me makes a lot of sense. And, I've never had that problems with any of our other cars. Anyway, appreciate your help.
    Glad to be able to help. The first time it happened to me I imagined all sorts of horrible problems. It really does sound awful.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,743
    Sound like a linkage problem that's causing the shifter to go only partially into gear. When you jiggle it you're probably putting it the rest of the way into Drive so the D appears.

It could also be a switch problem w whatever switch lights up the "D".

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• I have a new '07 530 xi wagon and have similar problems. Today, with 1000 miles on the car, the 4WD-DTS light came on. Then the "start up assistance malfunction" button came on. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, so your post is helpful. Do you know if your loss of steerimg responsiveness is related? I am a first time BMW coming from a near perfect Acura and am not at all happy right now.
    I know exactly how you feel. This is my first German car experience after about 15 years of driving completely trouble-free Japanese cars. Needless to say I'm very disappointed with the quality. My 530 has been in shop 4 times in 6 months. To contrast, in 30 years (and 300k miles) of combined driving between my wife and me, our Japanese cars have been in shop 4 times as well.

However, when BMW does work, its a hell-of-car to drive, and I'm looking forward to the day when its finally fixed again

I think the problems are related, because after the BMW engineer test drove my car vs. another 530xi a few days ago he proposed to change my wheel alignment sensor. This is the sensor that was replaced on my car a month ago when it failed and produced the same 4WD-DTS warning. These sensors are giving BMW a lot of problems and there is a waiting list for them in many locations. I've been told by the engineer and seen postings in other forums that some sensors are heat sensitive (they fail in high temps). Some production months have seen an unusual # of failures as well. But most of these issues get resolved eventually, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your car once the issue is fixed.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >15 years of driving completely trouble-free Japanese cars. Needless to say I'm very disappointed with the quality. My 530 has been in shop 4 times in 6 months.

My Lexus was in the shop six times in the first ten months. Anyone can get a lemon.

BTW: Toyota has had many, many more recalls than BMW in the past year.
  • 03maxmiase03maxmiase Posts: 12
    June 29 - 530xi awd/dsc malfunction warning/brake light/no adaptive headlights, etc.
    June 30 - to dealer without appointment gave me Chevy Malibu for a day. I need SZL steering angle sensor. I took my car while part on order - no date certain. They said it was safe to drive.

Couple days later, Stiff steering at slower speeds. Took car back on condition they gave me BMW loaner. Week later took car back in and they gave me 2006 X5. Week later traded for 2004 745i loaner

July 28 - Picked up repaired car. Dealer (purchased car there) offered me free lifetime Sirius subscription and Upgrade to DVD (mine was old after a month of ownership)

Expect to wait for repair for at least a month and noone to know when the part will come in. DEMAND a BMW loaner and free goodies. You paid for it.

Got my car 3/30/06 at Tischer BMW, Silver Spring.
  • Thanks for the replies. Supposedly, my part will be in this week - but now I am going to check with the dealer. I just hope this will resolve it. I too am having trouble steering at very low speeds - it feels like the manual steering in my dad's old '57 T-bird. It is very difficult to control. Dealer said it is safe to drive, but now I am thinking it is not. If the part is not in this week, I am going to demand a loaner too. Actually, I am not sure I should even be driving it this week. Somehow I had the feeling that I should not be buying a German car. Maybe I will not keep it for long.
  • I forgot to mention that I find your comment on the sensors failing in heat interesting. The car was parked in our hot driveway all day just before we got the warning signals. I said to my husband that maybe it had something to do with the heat, but he said that would be crazy since the car cannot be that sensitive. I am wondering if this is going to keep happening everytime it gets hot.
  • ph_7ph_7 Posts: 3
    I just bought an '07 530i, and the dealer repelaced the steering sensors before it left the lot. He told me BMW has had to switch suppliers for the sensors, because of a high failure rate, and they are backlogged on swapping out the sensors, but new cars about to be sold ge tthe sensors first, and the others (already sold) will follow.

Not official word, obviously, but I don;t knwo why he'd tell me this otherwise
  • bookedupbookedup Posts: 17
    I inadvertently inflicted a scratch on one of my sport wheels on my 2003 530i. It's only about 1/4 inch long but it bothers me. I'd like to touch it up. Can someone advise if there is touch-up paint available from BMW or (better yet) does anyone know the color of silver paint I can buy? Something similar to what we used to buy to do touch-up on model cars when we were growing up. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank-You.
  • Thanks. That is giving me hope that the problem is correctable. Other than this, we are loving the car. I know that my dealer had several parts on order because they were going to swap one for my car since I drove a distance, but it was not the right fit for my model. It almost seems like BMW should be doing a recall on those vehicles with the defective sensors. I am somewhat relieved that this happened while we were home and not on a trip.
    I've been promised a wait of 1 to 2 weeks (one week passed already), but at least the dealer (I purchased the car there) seems to stock only BMW loaners.
    I've been told that the sensors are "VIN-specific" (probably production batch-specific), so not all will fit your car.

The car is indeed "drivable" after the sensor failure, however, this sensor communicates with DTS, so in addition to degraded steering response (certainly a safety issue), car's performance in slippery conditions will be degraded as well (another safety issue).
  • bookedupbookedup Posts: 17
    I recently purchased a 03 530i with sport package. There were no books with this and I can't figure out if I have automatic wipers (comes on when it rains) and if I do, how to work them and the automatic climate control is not user friendly as it seems each time I turn off the ac before shutting down the car, when I start it back up, it's on, or is that how it's supposed to be. Also, I adjust each side with a different temperature and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I would think you would have to have it in "auto" to use this feature, right? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanx,