Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    Were you able to get your trunk to latch? How did you fix it?
    Anyone have any ideas why my 02 530i has started drinking oil? No leaks, and no burning odor. I bought it in December at 45K, and added a quart several weeks (and several hundred miles) ago. But last night the light came on again, and I was down another quart. I just turned over 52K yesterday.
  • hihomikehihomike Posts: 111
    I just got a brand new Motorola V-330. It just came out last week. I set it up with my bluetooth BMW (530i '06) and not only did it work perfectly, it also downloaded my entire address book right into the car's computer.

I am with T-mobil and they use a SIM card. That may be why it downloaded all numbers.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    Do you add synthetic oil?

Was the ca off-lease? Do you have the service history?
    Yes, x3. Everything is kosher.
    The service advisor at BMW told me that I should expect to add a quart every 1000 miles. Does this sound right? It doesn't to me, because I went over 5000 miles before the engine light came on the first time, but I hadn't gone even another 1000 before it lit up again.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "The service advisor at BMW told me that I should expect to add a quart every 1000 miles. Does this sound right?"

The short answer is no. Ask him to produce any BMW literature to support his claim.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • banglenotbanglenot Posts: 31
    Well, it happened to me. Must have leaned on the trunk button while the key was in my pocket. Came out this morning to find it open after a steady rain last night. Anyone know how to disable this, so the trunk doesn't spring up when the opener is activated. Thanks.
    On the 02 5ers, you can disable the remote opener by turning the key in the trunk lock to horizontal.
  • khoonkhoon Posts: 85
    I had a similar issue with a 1999 MB-ML320 and the dealer and the MB rep fed me the same line that its within specs for the car to guzzle 1 Qt per 1K miles. If the car is still under warranty fight it tooth and nail!
    If the car is still under warranty fight it tooth and nail!

The Beast (as my indie mechanic calls it) waited until I was just past 50K to fall off the wagon. Naturally. Were you able to resolve your problem?
  • selooseloo Posts: 606
    My dashboard make a creaking noise when the body of the car encounters up even road surfaces of large bumps. The noise is coming from the gap between the dash and the front window.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Posts: 263
    My 02 530i has 54k miles, the oil changed every 7500 miles and has never needed oil added between changes.
    My 02 530i has 54k miles, the oil changed every 7500 miles and has never needed oil added between changes.

Why doesn't this surprise me???
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    At 121000 mile my wife's 1997 528iA uses less than 1/2 qt between 8500 mile oil change intervals. OTOH, my 318ti track rat has 96000 and uses up to 1 qt of M1 15W-50 per 2500 miles in suburban driving. It hardly uses any oil if kept at a steady rpm of 3500 or above.
  • mch2mch2 Posts: 36
    krautsled,

No, I never got any replies to my inquiry. Interestingly, it had stopped for a while but has happened 2 nights in a row at exactly the same time (4:30 am) so I now sleep with my car keys under the pillow :)

I'll let you know if I ever find out anything.
  • beamingbeaming Posts: 40
    Is there a way to avoid the swirl effect on a black sapphire metallic paint finish?
    (I posted this ? to the wrong forum)
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Is there a way to avoid the swirl effect on a black sapphire metallic paint finish?"

I've never seen any swirl effect on the Black Sapphire Metallic paint, only on the Jet Black paint. As a rule, no metallic paints show swirl marks.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • beamingbeaming Posts: 40
    Well that's good news, I always thought it was the opposite. Now I don't regret ordering that paint color. Thanks for your input.
    :shades:
  • jccaseyjccasey Posts: 4
    I just picked up my new 545i yesterday and absolutely love the car, even the active steering that I've heard plenty of folks complain about. The only thing that seems a bit unusual is a "clicking" sound that comes from the manual tranny when I'm driving in gears 1-3 at lower speeds. When idling, I can also feel a light clicking in the shift knob. Is this normal? My friend has an M3 and said it is normal and even more pronounced in the M3, but I just want to make sure there is no issue with my car. It has not impacted performance or shifting one bit; it just seems that an otherwise perfect car would not have the noise.
    Thanks!