Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thank you. To date, no one has contacted me yet.
  • bumbiebumbie Posts: 18
    OK, my car is back at the dealership as of this morning 10/3 (and if anyone is having the same problem as me, please let me know, the dealership thinks I am crazy). I posted my problem about the lung, jerk, jump whatever you want to call it last week. Anyways, I was given my car back late Wednesday and was told to drive it in sport mode to see if it still revved up and lunged forward, while at a complete stop. It did not, but I forgot to put into sport mode while waiting in line at the bank and the rpm when up and lunged into the curb dinging my expensive custom rim (fortunately not the car in front of me at the teller in part because I am paranoid and stay about 2 car lengths behind ever since the first two incidents). BMW thinks that when in regular drive, any movement on the brake is causing the car's transmission to think it is time to go and it goes. The problem with this solution is that my foot is firm on the brake. After the first time I have been so cautious about keeping my foot firm on the brake. I guess in sport mode I am in more control and in regular mode the car in more in control. I think that the solution, or what BMW told me was that the computer in the transmission needs to be replaced. On a car with 2500 mi. I am thrilled about this! :(
  • Just picked up my 2006 525Xi and I just love it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Still figuring things out - lol . How do I get rid of the anti trap window message that keeps appearing. I've read the manual but I still can't figure it out.

ThANKS
  • Does anyone have a 2006 BMW 530i with sport package and dunlop tires?
    have you checked your tire pressures?
    the panel says F29:r39, but that pakes that car feel loose, bad steering and braking and acceleration. A local dealer changed it to 34F:35R which was alittle better, but not as good as the other one that i test drove. Anyone has an idea why the dealers set pressures different from the side panel? what is the best pressure for optimum driving/handling performance?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,592
    There's similar confusion with my 528iA, the panel says 32F/41R but the independent
    I bought it from delivered it with 30 all around and it drove fine. I've tinkered with it a little and now run 32F/35R. I don't know why the factory calls for such high pressures in the rear, perhaps a carry over from the days when Bimmers were pretty "loose" in the back.

See post #1432 and replies to it for more.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    I don't know if this still works in 2006 models, but … why if you try that said in poster #1444?

"("My passenger side window will go up and down on its own"
    With the start key on, you should open the window and then keep the opening key pressed for at least 5 seconds after the window is fully opened. Then, do the opposite. Then, open and close the window, once each, as usual. All this should reset the memory of the window engine. You also may ask the dealer to replace the window engine while under warranty.)"

Regards,
    José
  • I just spoke the dealer where i test drove one this weekend that i liked and felt good. the shop forman said they usually go with 34F:38R. hope this may help others too.
  • grios1grios1 Posts: 22
    Just to advise, I had the noise in the dash as well and some type of tapping noise coming from each window in the vehicle. The noise in the dash was actually coming from the steering wheel buttons. They were replaced under warranty. The tapping noise from the windows was coming from the seals. All seals were replaced under warranty.

One question reference the key fob. Does anyone else need to hold the trunk release button down for approx 2 secs before it will open? I think it should open with just one press of the button. If I hold it down too long the panic alarm goes off.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    "Does anyone else need to hold the trunk release button down for approx 2 secs before it will open?"

Affirmative. I need to hold it for a short while, may be 2 secs. It is indeed quite frustrating.
  • I actually like the fact that you have to hold down the trunk release button on the key fob for a couple of seconds and then release it before the trunk will open. That goes a LONG way towards preventing accidental opening of the trunk (which can really hurt or cause damage given how fast it pops open!). On my previous car (a Volvo) they did not have a delay on the key fob and it was a nightmare -- I lost count of the number of times I had to get out of the car to close an accidentally opened trunk!
  • I had a 2004 BMW 525i which had continuing problems with the trunk opening by itself , the windows opening by themselves and the alarm going off when all doors are closed. After numerous attempts to fix , the dealer gave me a new 2005 model 525i after I raised loud complaints. I am now experiencing similar problems with the trunk and alarm going off by themselves. This occurs randomly and not very often - about once every few weeks. The windows have not opened by themselves on the new model but I am completely frustrated and the dealer looks at me as if can't happen and that I must be leaning on the key which is completely incorrect. Has anyone experienced similar and found a correction?
    If you lock the car and the it is parked with the sunroof or window open any passing breeze can set off the "*&^#$ motion sensor. This can be avoided by clicking the "arm" button again after locking the car which will turn off the motion sensor.

I've found that it's easy to fail to close the trunk properly, it needs a good slam in order to latch.

• 545 trunk lid does need a good push to lock and key fob does require 2 second hold for safety reasons (one of the good BMW design features.)

Have not had any problem with motion sensors.
    Good luck to all!
  • tcoztcoz Posts: 16
    I was under the impression that leaving the sunroof or any windows open would not allow the motion detector to arm although the other systems would.
    Well this may vary from car to car but you have to disarm the motion detector by hitting the button after locking in my E39 528iA.

It says so in the owner's manual. I've forgotten a few times and if left parked on a windy day the damned alarm will go off if the S/R is left open.

• I have a '98 528i, and when it rains, the floor on both driver and passenger sides get soaked. I was told by the dealer that there were falulty seals in the doors that was causing this problem, and they've replaced them twice. I'm convinced that's not the problem. Thoughts?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Hmmm...BOTH sides of the car...that points more to a clogged drain at the bottom of the fresh air vents, situated beneath/near the wiper blades. You have to pry up that cowl vent and see if bio matter has plugged the drains up. You can test it with a glass of water. You should be able to pour it into the vents (like a heavy rain) and see the water drain out under the car, rather than into it. What happens is that with plugged drains the basin in there fills up like a little fishtank, and the water level rises to places that are not meant to keep water out of the interior, like rubber plugs for wires or vacuum lines for instance. They are sort of air/wind proof but not water proof.

• Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
  • bumbiebumbie Posts: 18
    My car alarm will go off sometimes when I open hold the trunk button, why and what do I do to prevent this? It scares the %#$$ out of me when it happens. My air is also on full blast when I start the car, even if it is off when I park. Anyone know how to stop this?
  • tcoztcoz Posts: 16
    The "intensity" of the climate control was always a pet peeve of mine on my 325i and X3, but fortunately it's somewhat adjustable on the new 5-series. Go to Climate on the iDrive, then to Automatic Programs. The default is the high setting. I've changed mine to medium and it's somewhat better. I may even go to low. Basically, this adjusts how fast the climate control takes the temp to your preset by adjusting the airflow. Of course, the downside is that setting the intensity lower also means it will take longer to heat or cool the car.

You can't do anything about setting off the alarm other than become accustomed to how long you have to hold the button down to release the trunk (about 1 second). Unfortunately, another second or less will set off the alarm.