Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks for all the advice.
  • I am facing the THIRD replacement of my windshield on my 2007 530 wagon.
    Here's what happened:
    August: rock hits and cracks windshield within driver's sight.

October: Windshield replaced by bodyshop with BMW parts - no problems with fit but windshield has blurry spot in middle and is defective.

November: BMW shop that sold the defective windshield replaces it under warranty.

This week, I drove took car on the highway and it has so much wind noise it seems like the window is open. BMW shop #1 says that the BMW shop #2 that did the work did a really bad job. I can see black stuff oozing out on the sides and the mirror is not lined up right.
    So, I took it back to BMW shop #2 which did the work - they apologize and agree the work is bad. Car needs to go back in and windshield needs to come out again.

Question: It seems like I am stuck with the shop that did the bad work. Does anyone think I have any recourse to get BMW to pay for the windshield somewhere else? I am not wild about using this dealer. In fact, I am not so sure the current installation is even safe.

Thanks for any advice.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,601
    Don't you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance policy, that should cover a broken windshield regardless of which shop does the work..

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• Yes Insurance covered it the first time, but the defective window made it a warranty issue. At that point, the BMW shop that sold the window had to supply the new window and labor at no cost. The third time is a poor workmanship issue. Again, the shop the did the bad work is supposed to rectify it. I could take it elsewhere but I would have to pay.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,583
    I would just pay, IF they pay for the glass itself. What would you do if this were your doctor? Exactly. If it's not done right, you could get leaks, wind noise, etc.

• Good point. I am going to see if they will just provide the glass. The labor at the body shop is a fraction of the BMW labor. Thanks.
  • Actually, now that I have thought this through, I am calling corporate BMW to ask for them to arrange the repair at another shop. I did a llittle research and I am terrified the window will be put in wrong again. An improper installation can cause an activated airbag to go thru the window and the roof to collapse. I cannot believe I can see black stuff sticking out of the window on the inside of the car and that I can actually feel the edge of the window from the inside. I think I may be able to push the window out if I tried. It looks like a real rooky put this one in. On top of the defective windshield and now the inept workmanship I think they need to accomodate me.

Thanks for making me think about this!
    I'm rather surprised the dealer even did the work. Are you quite sure they didn't farm it out?

Anyway---yes, you have a right to proper workmanship. I"m not sure how the dealer billed BMW, so that could be tricky.

• Amazingly, the dealer did do the work. According to them only one or two of their technicians are qualified. They said the foreman will check the work next time, but isn't this what should have happened last time? I don't trust the foreman either.

My usual dealer does send it out to a vendor.

I did call BMW corporate and it is tricky. They are going to "advocate on my behalf" to the 2 dealers I would go to. I am not sure how this is going to work out since someone is going to have to pay. I just know it should not be me. Right now, I have a car I am afraid to drive a distance. If I cannot get another dealer to do the service, I am going to ask the dealer that did the bad work to ship the parts to my bodyshop and I will pay the bodyshop for the service.

However, it still seems like I should be getting top quality work at a dealership and I should not have to eat any of the cost. BMW said it would call me back later this week. As BMW represents that its dealers are qualified, I will push harder if need to. I am sure I have potential legal recourse, but right now I am trying to be nice about it. If I don't get what I want, then I'll put on my legal hat.
    That's correct. If a business hangs a sign that says it is authorized BMW service, then they can't cop out by insisting they "didn't know" or it was "too hard", etc. The sign on the building implies that they are responsible to do the job correctly.

The dealer should farm this work out to professionals who do it all the day long. That's how you get really good at something.

• I bought a 2001 BMW 540i about one year ago. The coolant tank broke somehow while driving and emptied all the coolant. Engine is now dead. I would like to sell it to someone who is willing to repair it. Car has 82,000 miles on it, 3 month old tires, brand new headliner and rides great. I just don't want to deal with a BMW anymore. Any advice?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I might be very interested in your car if it has the 6-Speed manual transmission.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • I have the exact same issue with water leaking into the back on the driver side of my 2003 530i. Dealer said they were not able to replicate the issue, even though I drove it in and showed them water leaking from the bottom of the door. Dealer doesn't seem interested in trying to fix it. Please keep me posted if you find a solution.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,380
    I'm surprised that the dealer couldn't solve your problem; it's a somewhat common issue in the E39 community. What has happened is that the inner door insulation(Part number 6 in this diagram) has come loose from the bottom of the door and needs to be reattached using a waterproof silicone sealant or similar. An easy and simple fix.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• lovecdlovecd Posts: 50
    I encountered several times on my recently purchased 2005 BMW 525i that when I applied the brake when going down the hill, the RPM turned immediately higher to over 3x1000, in the meantime, the engine sounds louder as well. I was wondering if this is normal or there is something wrong with the transmission?

Thanks in advance!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,017
    BMW automatics downshift pretty aggressively, when the brake is applied.... especially going downhill... Other makes do this (Honda used to call their transmissions grade-logic), but it isn't nearly as noticeable as with the BMW..

So... I don't think it's the engine revving higher (unless you are hitting the gas, as well), it's the transmission downshifting into a lower gear..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thank you!

By the way, should the transmission fluid be changed every 100,000 miles or sooner than that?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,601
    BMW says their A/Ts are "lifetime fill". Considering the expense of replacing a modern A/T most savvy owners are changing their ATF every 60,000 miles (using synthetic). I follow this procedure and have over 120K on the Steptronic in my '00 528iA and the trans operates perfectly in either automanual or full automatic mode.

In fact it's a whole bunch smoother than the A/T in my MIL's 2000 LeSabre which has only 42K on it. That one will not give you a smooth kickdown if you are over 3000RPM, it's quite harsh and there's a delay of a second or so that is not pleasing.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• Driveshaft cracked at 83,000 miles. All service previously done at BMW service. Any similar problems. (not covered under warranty).
    I used to replace transmission fluid to my other cars myself, is it hard to do on BMW or better have it done with BMW dealers?

Thanks!
    If it's a torn flex disk that you're talking about, that is a very common BMW E39 series ailment. Not sure if that's your model or not but I think 2004 was the last year. I think BMW regards this as a normal wear item.

I used to replace transmission fluid to my other cars myself, is it hard to do on BMW or better have it done with BMW dealers?

You can do it yourself, but the procedure is somewhat more complicated than you may be used to. This how-to is for an E36, but it will still give you an idea of what is involved. I usually have my dealer change the ATF and transfer case oil at 50,000 mile intervals. They only charge me $208.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

2003 was the last year for the E39 platform. The flex disk(AKA guibo) can last up to 150K or more, depending on the car's horsepower, weight, and driving conditions.

Thanks. I keep seeing two different answers for when the E39 phased out. I guess the theoretical lifespan of the guibo should be 150K, but it seems that most people don't get that far with them. Certainly worth checking periodically.

I wonder what a "cracked" driveshaft is then? Sounds very unusual.

I wonder what a "cracked" driveshaft is then? Sounds very unusual.

My wife's CPO 1997 528i had a low speed rumble/vibration that was independent of engine speed and wheels/tires fitted. My dealer has a first class service department and they diagnosed a bent driveshaft. It was replaced under the CPO warranty, no questions asked. I still wonder how one could tweak a driveshaft without hitting/running over something.
    FYI, BMW continues to use two-piece driveshafts fitted with 1-2 guibos and a center bearing, as you can see on this F01 parts diagram.

Are BMW driveshaft still not rebuildable? I remember that for a long time the u=joints were not replaceable. U-joint wears out, well, then, you replace the entire driveshaft.

I could see a driveshaft out of balance, definitely, but bent? A frozen u-joint would give that same symptom, too.

• OK, Had a major leak in my car, if I left car in rain the rear passenger side foot well would fill up with water (over 2'' + deep) the issue is that it took BMW service forever to fix it in that time it fill with water several time. Found out the it was coming in from the heater box and rolling in under the carpet so who know how long it was going on!! With all the electrical that is in the area should I maybe just ell the car to get rid of a potential issue long term with the electrical going bad from all the moisture?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!
    Water or coolant. If water, from the heater box, that was probably clogged drainage in the fresh air vents (situated under the wiper blades). Wires are wrapped up pretty well so I wouldn't worry, unless it dripped on some component...but usually what this type of leak does is drip along the inner firewall. I don't think I'd worry about it. I'd be more concerned for the power seats I guess.

Are BMW driveshaft still not rebuildable?

Some aftermarket shops rebuild them as does BMW.

• It was water, it migrated fom under heater under the carpet to the lowest spot on the car which was the back seat footwell. When the water was in the back it did cause all sorts of electrical items to go off, i.e. active steering said it was not communicating, stereo was weird, seat would not work, etc...all the water is now gone and all communication seems to be ok. The worry I have is the corrosion going to continue to wires in the area....