Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• As of this date nothing has changed. The car still pulls to the right and no news from BMW or the dealer. Now they say, in another week we should hear something about the software upgrade.
    Has anyone outhere has this problem or have a fix?
    Please let me know.
    Shipo help!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited September 2010
    I wish I could; I'd love to dig into BMW's software, I'm quite sure I could clean it up more than just a little bit. That said, when I wrote for Mercedes-Benz, I was constantly colliding head-on into a wall of, ummm, German strong-mindedness, kinda like, "Zis istch zee vay en vitch tings esss done!" :sick:

Yeesh! The good news is that they always eventually came around to the right answer. :shades:
  • See my response under 5 Series Alignment Forum
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,957
    edited September 2010
    That sucks, but it happens all the time. Not a big deal, though---as long as they fix it right, and then the owner could, if he wished, push for further compensation on a "diminished value" claim to their insurance company---if the $$$ at stake were high enough, he could even hire an attorney to pursue the DV claim.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,854
    This incident was a little more severe than usual; a joy-riding employee left @100' of black marks before smacking the E60 M5 against a curb. The dealer initially claimed the damage amounted to @$2,500- which, by sheer coincidence, was also their liability deductible. Further inspection resulted in a repair estimate north of $35,000, and the car is a complete write-off...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,957
    Well then it's a matter of making sure that the write-off amount is fair. In a way, this is the best possible outcome of a bad situation, that the car is junked. Had it been fixed, all kinds of problems, both mechanical and legal, might have resulted. In a bizarre way, the owner is "lucky" to have it totaled. The insurance company has the option of not doing that, depending on state laws.

I trust the idiot was fired.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• kelfkelf Posts: 83
    edited September 2010
    Each time we re set but couple days later it comes on again. Tires seem fine. Tire shops says nothing wrong with tires. Car is no longer under factory warranty. Very annoying when on freeway. Also annoying that it does not say which tire--is there a way to set it to indicate which tire?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,744
    Car is no longer under factory warranty. Very annoying when on freeway

Time for a Black Tape Repair. ;)

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    edited October 2010
    Well, my 82k miles 2003 530i appears to be ready for a cooling system overhaul. SES light on and diagnostics indicate issues with the thermostat and a host of other things that will require the pulling of the radiator, fan, etc. Want to get everyting replaced on this keeper of a car and would like to get a sanity check on the bottom line for a complete cooling system overhaul.

My indie is preparing me for about a $2300 job for everything if I intend to keep the car, which I do. Radiator, hoses, WP, fan, belts, pulleys/rollers, thermostat, etc would all be replaced with >= oem quality parts + labor.

Any experience out there for the expected cost for this job? Thx!
    I had similar work done @ similar cost this spring. Radiators and water pumps are notorious weak points on these cars so you have to stay on top of them.

• lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    Understand one of the reasons for failure of some plastics in fittings, hoses, etc is the fact that Germany has strict green requirements and these plastics are designed to be biodegradeable. Having superior fitments used in the overhaul...

I plan to get another 80+K out of her... I hope :)
  • Same thing happened to me-- the water is coming in thru the interior light in the bottom pasenger door panel. You need to remove the door panel and reseal the light
  • It was coming in through a breach in right passenger door window door seal for my car which became like a rain forest fishtank. Caused lot's of electrical damage to include guages, sun -moon roof/other. Insurance covered $7000+ in repairs including new rear carpet and total detailing.
  • I have a 2006 550i which is still under the CPO warranty. last week the navigation screen stopped working (no navigation, radio etc.) oddly enough my cell phone still showed the blue tooth was engaged. I took to the dealer and he advised me the diagnostic tool was not communicating with the i drive. They did a " soft" reset which they said did not work. I was then advised that they would need to due a software upgrade for $500 (they said not covered by CPO) to see if that fixes the problem. They said if this did not work, they would have to install a new CMC $2100+500 already spent, to possible fix the problem. Mdoes anybody know what the problem is (they dont) yet they claim it not covered under the CPO!! Am i getting the run around? BTW i love the car.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,854
    $500 to reflash a module? Get a second opinion.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• banglenotbanglenot Posts: 31
    edited November 2010
    Something to consider: the first thing to go is usually the thermostat, which will pop a code when it fails. The rest of the replacements may not be necessary right now. The radiator and WP should be fine if the coolant has been changed, but some folks change them as preventive maintenance on this model at 50-80K miles -- so it makes sense.

FWIW, I changed the WP, belt and thermostat on my e46 for less than $300 in parts and 2 hours of labor. It is amazingly easy to do if you are at all mechanical. I'll go in later and change the hoses (should have done that at the same time, since I had to replace the coolant). I'll probably replace the hoses and rad at the same time, as a preventive maintenance thing.

I think $2300 is a colossal ripoff for this work. Look up the parts at autohauz to get a price on OEM or better. Thermostat: $60; WP (Graf metal impeller) $60; Hoses: $60; radiator (Graf): $138. So, for under $400 you have parts, and he's charging you $1900 for labor! For a job even I could do, as a competent shadetree mechanic, in 3-4 hours!

Anyway, do what you must, but know what you're paying for. Good luck.
  • kelfkelf Posts: 83
    Original factory wheel--as soon as go above 30 miles there is a constant grinding noise. Previously tire plcae said it was a tire which appeared to bulge slightly in the middle--replaced it, but the noise continued???
  • I have a 2007 525XI. The front bumper needs to be replaced (hit a pole and cracked a piece off) as well as the underbelly casing. I live south of Boston (south shore). I got one quote for part replacement and labor in the range of $1800. I plan to get some more quotes but was curious on whether anyone has any ideas/suggestions on how to get the bumper and parts cheaply etc so I will only have labor to deal with.
  • Try going to the BMW Car Club of NA. They have a magazine-haven't checked website, but there are lots of adds for replacement parts and also advice in columns. Also, calling local junk yards near your location will sometimes payoff.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    Keep in mind that the outer cover is only part of the problem...there are often single hit bits and pieces inside that prevent damaging structure like the radiator and fenders. If compromised (you often can't tell from outside), they need to be replaced as well or if you hit something again, it will end up costing LOTS more since there will be nothing to absorb the hit.
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Anyone have this problem? I have a 2007 530i, 34K miles on it, still under warranty, car runs beautifully, never had a problem. This week, I'm driving, and I turn off the heating system with the manual button, and the fans keep running. Got out of the car when it was parked, turned ignition off, key out, fans kept running. Checked iDrive, parked vehicle operation is disabled (as I wanted). No indication of a problem. Returned to car about 20 minutes later and fans were off. I called the dealer, they never heard of such a problem.

Anyone can shed any light on this? Seemed odd, since it happened, have not had a reoccurrence, but I don't want to get stuck on a highway trip with fans running and my battery going dead. You know what I mean? I'm taking it in next Monday. Thought I would ask. Weird, huh?
    Gardis in CT
    edited December 2010
    You don't have to worry about the battery dying while you are driving down the highway, assuming your alternator is working properly. Those fans can only drain the battery if they while the car is switched off. If they do you wont be able to start.

I'd have a careful read the section in the manual about the Auto Climate Control. It could be a fault in the ACC module or it could even be a normal function.

Guys
    Yesterday I was driving my 530i 2007, I'm pulling into a parking lot and the "Oil Level Low" message comes on the iDrive screen. Now the car was just at the dealer for a routine minimum "service" certainly they would have checked the oil level? When I got back in the car
    the message was gone, didn't come up again. Then I checked the iDrive Service records, all is OK, and all systems register as good.

What gives with this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,090
    It could have been a momentary mis-read, following a sharp turn.. Or, your sensor could be going bad...

Or, your oil level could actually be low... Doesn't that model still have a dipstick?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Dear KYFDX
    Thank you for your insight. Yesterday, as I was parking the vehicle, again that oil can icon appeared in the dash as I turned off the vehicle. Nothing while driving came up on the iDrive screen. I called my tech rep, and asked her if they had checked the fluids when they had the vehicle for a minor inspection two weeks ago. She called me back and said, no they did not check the oil, it needs a "top off" and bring it in they will do it immediately for me, and she apologized to me ("my mistake, sorry"). I brought the car in and the service rep said, BTW, when you add oil between services, we charge you for that oil" but said it in a kind of apologetic way, so I said, go ahead, no problem. They added 1 QT (so she says, I didn't see her add it), charged me $6.89
    She said to me that it was nothing to worry about, BMW actually says the vehicle could burn 1 QT every 1,000 miles. I thought that was a lot of oil to burn, what do you think about that?

I was surprised they charged me, given the vehicle is still under the service warranty until JUN2012. I wasn't going to argue, I was happy they took care of adding it for me. Otherwise I"m pretty satisfied with this dealership, and have been dealing with this service tech for years also on my previous 3 series. She herself owns a CPO 7 series 2006 and I feel that is a vote of confidance in the brand, don't you? She puts her money where her mouth is I think.
  • sirdarby1sirdarby1 Posts: 33
    edited December 2010
  • Yesterday we had the dealer check out a 2005 545i with SMG from a private owner and we later purchased. One of the paddle buttons is defective and will cost about $300 to fix. Not a problem.

My wife has been driving it her second day and is getting used to it. She only drives in the automatic mode but she swears the gears are switching from auto to manual by themselves. So in auto (D1) she says is going back to manual (1).

As a remedy, she is pulling overtothe side ofthe road, pressing the brake and moving back to Auto mode.

Is there a problem? I think she may be hitting the paddle accidentally but not sure. Does she have to stop completely when going from manual to auto or can you switch back and forth while driving without hurting the transmission
  • 2000 BMW 540i starts fine on cold mornings but runs rough (at idle) and seems ready to stop.
    Got tune up (new plugs, fuel filter, etc.) still have issue. When temp guage hits normal, problem goes away. It's only a cold start up that there is a problem. Suggestions?
  • I had a similar problem on my 2003 525i. It went away on its own. At least one time, the car DID STOP running at idle! My mechanic's guess over then phone was that the fuel intake valve may have been clogged.