Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >15 years of driving completely trouble-free Japanese cars. Needless to say I'm very disappointed with the quality. My 530 has been in shop 4 times in 6 months.

My Lexus was in the shop six times in the first ten months. Anyone can get a lemon.

BTW: Toyota has had many, many more recalls than BMW in the past year.
  • 03maxmiase03maxmiase Posts: 12
    June 29 - 530xi awd/dsc malfunction warning/brake light/no adaptive headlights, etc.
    June 30 - to dealer without appointment gave me Chevy Malibu for a day. I need SZL steering angle sensor. I took my car while part on order - no date certain. They said it was safe to drive.

Couple days later, Stiff steering at slower speeds. Took car back on condition they gave me BMW loaner. Week later took car back in and they gave me 2006 X5. Week later traded for 2004 745i loaner

July 28 - Picked up repaired car. Dealer (purchased car there) offered me free lifetime Sirius subscription and Upgrade to DVD (mine was old after a month of ownership)

Expect to wait for repair for at least a month and noone to know when the part will come in. DEMAND a BMW loaner and free goodies. You paid for it.

Got my car 3/30/06 at Tischer BMW, Silver Spring.
  • Thanks for the replies. Supposedly, my part will be in this week - but now I am going to check with the dealer. I just hope this will resolve it. I too am having trouble steering at very low speeds - it feels like the manual steering in my dad's old '57 T-bird. It is very difficult to control. Dealer said it is safe to drive, but now I am thinking it is not. If the part is not in this week, I am going to demand a loaner too. Actually, I am not sure I should even be driving it this week. Somehow I had the feeling that I should not be buying a German car. Maybe I will not keep it for long.
  • I forgot to mention that I find your comment on the sensors failing in heat interesting. The car was parked in our hot driveway all day just before we got the warning signals. I said to my husband that maybe it had something to do with the heat, but he said that would be crazy since the car cannot be that sensitive. I am wondering if this is going to keep happening everytime it gets hot.
  • ph_7ph_7 Posts: 3
    I just bought an '07 530i, and the dealer repelaced the steering sensors before it left the lot. He told me BMW has had to switch suppliers for the sensors, because of a high failure rate, and they are backlogged on swapping out the sensors, but new cars about to be sold ge tthe sensors first, and the others (already sold) will follow.

Not official word, obviously, but I don;t knwo why he'd tell me this otherwise
  • bookedupbookedup Posts: 17
    I inadvertently inflicted a scratch on one of my sport wheels on my 2003 530i. It's only about 1/4 inch long but it bothers me. I'd like to touch it up. Can someone advise if there is touch-up paint available from BMW or (better yet) does anyone know the color of silver paint I can buy? Something similar to what we used to buy to do touch-up on model cars when we were growing up. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank-You.
  • Thanks. That is giving me hope that the problem is correctable. Other than this, we are loving the car. I know that my dealer had several parts on order because they were going to swap one for my car since I drove a distance, but it was not the right fit for my model. It almost seems like BMW should be doing a recall on those vehicles with the defective sensors. I am somewhat relieved that this happened while we were home and not on a trip.
  • yurygyuryg Posts: 15
    I've been promised a wait of 1 to 2 weeks (one week passed already), but at least the dealer (I purchased the car there) seems to stock only BMW loaners.
    I've been told that the sensors are "VIN-specific" (probably production batch-specific), so not all will fit your car.

The car is indeed "drivable" after the sensor failure, however, this sensor communicates with DTS, so in addition to degraded steering response (certainly a safety issue), car's performance in slippery conditions will be degraded as well (another safety issue).
    I recently purchased a 03 530i with sport package. There were no books with this and I can't figure out if I have automatic wipers (comes on when it rains) and if I do, how to work them and the automatic climate control is not user friendly as it seems each time I turn off the ac before shutting down the car, when I start it back up, it's on, or is that how it's supposed to be. Also, I adjust each side with a different temperature and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I would think you would have to have it in "auto" to use this feature, right? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The vast majority of 2002 and 2003 530i SP models have the automatic wipers. Why? Because as a prerequisite to ordering the SP, the car had to have a leather interior. There were two ways to get the leather, à la carte or via the Premium Package (which included leather, sun roof, rain-sensing wipers, universal garage door opener and a few other convenience items). Said another way, you probably have the rain sensing wipers.

The above having been said, rain sensing wipers DO NOT come on automatically when it rains. Why? Well, think about the following scenario:

You're driving along on the first sunny day in quite some time and your car is seriously in need of a bath. You spy a car wash along your route and in you go. Said car wash is one of those where you stay in the car with the engine running as you pass through. The instant the water starts spraying on your windshield and the brushes start washing, your wipers kick on, get snagged in the brushes and then get ripped off of your car. Unfortunately the wiper arm is still attached to the brush and it continues to rotate and move its way down the length of your car, denting and scaring it as it goes. Not a good thing.

The way the rain-sensing wiper system works is that each time the car is started, the wipers are inactive (even if they've been left in intermittent mode), and as such, require you to "tickle" them to get them started. Once so tickled, they will continue to wipe as necessary for the duration of that trip.

Regarding the operation of the HVAC system, your best bet would be to sign up for BMW's "Owner's Circle" on the BMW-USA web site. Once there you can download a manual for your car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,
    I greatly appreciate the prompt and helpful response. I will look into downloading the manual.

Many thanks,

Bookedup.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Any time. ;-)
  • Please let me know how it works out for you. I have not heard from my dealer yet regarding delivery of the part & my request for a loaner until then. I called them today and left message and will call more persistently tomorrow. We are a one car family, so this is a real problem for us. I took a chance when I bought from an out of state dealer, but I did not think I would need service so fast. I am reluctant to use the local dealer b/c I am not sure they would treat me well since I did no buy from them (they were not competitive and gave me the impression that BMWs go at asking price; thus, I went somewhere else and got a great deal financially, but now I am paying for that).

By the way - when was your car produced? Mine has an April '06 production date.
    My car was produced in Oct'06.

If you have a problem with your car, your local dealer should be more than happy to fix it - dealers get paid by the manufacturer. You may have to wait longer for the loaner though.
  • Well, the part came in (after one week) and the car is fixed. It appears to be handling fine. The only problem is that I had a sporty little 330xi loaner which was terrific, so I am having to get used to driving a wagon again.
  • tmotmo Posts: 2
    I bought my 07 530i at end of May 06. My car was towed in two weeks ago for "steering angle sensor & tire pressure monitor" issues. I don't know when it is going to be repaired. I have been a loyal customer of this local dealership and love their service until now. Since I did not buy the car there, they did not offer me a loaner (it's their policy!). I don't think that should affect my priority. Or maybe it did and I should have it towed to the dealership that I bought my car from.

The rep don't even call to provide me with the status and I have to call & left messages (only 3x so far and still haven't heard back from him). I am a reasonable customer, and I understand parts back ordering related issues, etc... but this is ridiculous that they don't call you back - where is the basic customer service?????

I am frustrated and need advice on effective actions.
  • Go in. Do it face to face.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    I'd try the face to face advice first. If that doesn't help,
    your dealership should have a "customer service manager" who can help. At my dealership, this person has a desk in the same building as the service advisors.
    I've had my CPO'ed 530 manual SP PP for a little over a month now and this morning it was very sunny. I put the drivers side visor down and the visor lights were illuminated. I didn't want to put make-up on I wanted to block the sun. Where do you turn these things off and on? I read the manual cover to cover when I purchased this vehicle and don't recall this being mentioned.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rob