Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• How I can remove back seat bmw 525i 1993 ?
    I have to replace battery which is under back seat.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Silly me, I always thought the battery in the 1993 5-Series was in the trunk; shows what I know. :P

What makes you think the battery is under the rear seat?
  • I bought this car on 2001,2002 ? and I heard that everything was original,
    enen tires.

I never changed battery since I bought.
    recently battery dead.
    if so, how old this battery? 18-19 years old, is it possible ?
    I don't know.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,549
    Lift the rear passenger side seat cushion. Some cars with the "parked car heating" option had another battery in the trunk.

An 18 year old battery is unlikely. Usually 5-8 years is about optimum life span.

If you can avoid it, don't jump start a 90s 5-series car. Remember, if you remove the battery under the seat, you're going to lose your presets for radio, fault memories, etc. So if your radio has an access code, and you don't know it, you could be in deep doo-doo on that.

• I left rear passenger side seat cushion, but it doesn't left any inch because safty belt female burckle
    installed with small plastic cover on cushion.
    When I left cushion up, cushion attached with plastic cover and female buckle together on frame under the cushion.
    please advise me
    thank you
    I'm sorry I don't understand the problem.

• Thank you for your advise, I have a code for radio but I wonder other problemes.
    If you don't mind, I can take a pic what happen in rear seat with safe belt buckle installed.
    in order to show you.
    other hand, I will check other battery in truck.
    Look under the front of the seat for a tab of some kind to pull or push.

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I understand his problem with the seat perfectly, as I attempted to assist a friend with a 5 series in the same year range get his seat out to replace his dead battery. I know exactly what he's referring to when he mentions the seat belt latch, as it looks like it needs to come out before removing the back seat.

I finally stopped trying, as I was afraid I was going to do more harm than good. He was able to get a mechanic from a local shop that services BMW's to stop by after work a few days later to remove the seat. It was easy for him, because he knew exactly where to apply force, and how much force to apply.
    okay thanks. it's hard to visualize without a car in front of you! So you think it's a matter of proper fiddling, not dis-assembly of some sort?

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Yes, I agree with your "proper fiddling" concept.

I never was able to decode the sequence correctly, and since it wasn't a car of mine (or one I will ever own. probably), I never went the extra mile to figure it out...
  • It has been some time since you posted your question, but I wanted to tell you that BMW has resolved this issue and has issued an additional warranty for the HPFP. This extends coverage on this part for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Like you I was very concerned about buying a "lemon" but after researching and calling BMW North America I was comfortable. The car is also eligable for the CPO program, but I declined. A gamble I am willing to take. My '08 535xi Touring is fantastic and has been flawless for six months now and the factory warranty is over so I am on my own so to speak!
  • In my 2003 BMW 5 series, the vacuums (2) on each side of the engine will not stop working,
    even when I turn off the car. What can I do.
  • paulo6paulo6 Posts: 93
    At times my car sputters at startup in the morning and then is fine, also at time during harder accelaration (probably more when cold) the pickup is not as smooth, for i feel some resistance (sputtering). The main reason for this inquiry though, is last night 3min after startup I am at traffic light and all of a sudden Check engine light comes up and car starts sputtering violently at idle and wont respond too much to the gas pedal pressing. Now i continued to drive slowly, but withing 2min the light went out and car drove just fine. IDEAS? I plan to take it in but not sure they can do much when the symptoms are not there
    The trouble codes are probably still stored in your car's computer, but if it's running fine now, maybe it was just a temporary misfire. See how it goes for a while.

I'm sorry, do you mean the cooling fans?

• grios1grios1 Posts: 22
    I have a 2009 535i. I had the same problem that you have described. It progressively got worse to the point that the car began to shake. The issue would go away after a few minutes. I took it in to the dealer and was advised that they could not know what the problem was because the engine light had turned off and the problem is not stored in the computer. I was told that the vehicle would have to break down completely and be towed in for it to be looked at. The vehicle finally gave out and I barely made it home at about 5mph.. In the end, the HPFP-High Pressure Fuel Pump was the cause. It had to be replaced. This a known issue with this engine. One month later the car began to sputter just a little. I has become worse as time has gone on. I'm just waiting for it fail again.
    Thanks for the insight....ill bug the dealer tomorrow for service never returned my vall today!
  • grios1grios1 Posts: 22
    Please advise on their response
    After waiting an hour at the service they came back that the issue with car is the Low Pressue Fuel Sensor. And something about a misfire code that was there on cylinder #5. I took a loaner and they replaced the sensor. Its driving fine now, i want to say the car is overall smoother but really its hard to tell. Time will tell...
  • My 530i 2006 wont start.
    I went for audio issue and they updated the software it wont boot.
    Later they replaced the Computers 4 or 5 times and this week the engineer from BMW came and still no hope.

its CPO car and I took 6 year/100k extended warranty and I already paid 1.5k for one of the computer which was not covered

What are my options?

Can I demand a new car since the car drove fine except it had an audio issue

Thanks,
    VV
  • Just bought a 2011 535 with run flat tires- seems u have no choice and none too happy about it since according to the salesman they are not able to be patched- no. 1- is that true? no. 2- from the manual it looks like you are supposed to only rotate the tires and not the wheels along with the tires- true? and does anyone know about how much the hard drive holds (the thing you can load CD's on- like an ipod- LOVE that! Thanks.
    The official company line is that they cannot be patched, that said, if you haven't driven the car on the deflated tire, and if the puncture is in the midst of the contact patch (i.e. not in a shoulder), then RFTs can be patched.

Regarding rotation; if you have the same size wheels and tires front versus rear, then you can rotate your tires front to back as well without having to mess with unmounting and remounting the tires.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    You have to reset the TPMS when you move the wheels, but as said, if they are the same size front/rear, you can rotate them. My GT has 40G on the HD, not sure if they use the same as the 'regular' 5-series (the GT is built on the 7 chassis).
    You can patch them, yes, in most cases.

• Thanks for that info, all! Glad to hear about the patch thing!!
    !
    Industry standard for RFT is to not patch them. There is no cheap way to verify that the internal structure hasn't been compromised by driving it too far or too fast while flat. Doesn't mean you may not successfully get one patched, but if they adhere to the standards, they may refuse.
    "...but if they adhere to the standards, they may refuse."

As far as I know, there is no "standard" what-so-ever which says RFTs cannot be patched. Do you know different?
    edited November 2011