Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pfagenpfagen Posts: 6
    No, he has not. I hope to take the car into his shop, for a test drive today or tomorrow. Thank you for your additional commments on what to be an eye-witness to.

Regards, Paul
  • My guess is that the dog teeth on your third gear wheel and/or sliding sleeve have worn. These teeth, as well as the sliding sleeve, have very small "hooks" at the end, that prevents the sliding sleeve from sliding back to neutral both when accelerating and decelerating. These notches may have been gone. Adjusting linkage will not do much, if this was the cause, other gears would show similar behavior. The damage can be regular wear, wear due to rough shifting or a material flaw (teeth not hardened correctly). A bad clutch results in prematurely worn synchronizer rings, if that is not the case, no need to replace the clutch. In my opinion, the answer has already been given to you; replace the tranny. Be careful when you get another used transmission, it may have similar (or worse) defects.
    Jan
  • Certainly a plausible diagnosis. Tranny might need a "small parts rebuild". I wouldn't put in a used one unless it had impeccable credentials or perhaps unless it could be opened up (not so easy on your car).
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Hey all:

2003 540, 132K on the clock. AC/Heater etc run intermittently. According to the display, things are running fine, I can change fan speeds etc, however no air flows out of any vent. If I have the car idling, and shut off the system, I can hear/feel the change in engine load, which indicates that mechanically things are running. If i leave it alone for a while, it will start blowing, however may or may not continue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    How long has it been since the pollen filter has been changed? Could it be that it is clogged?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,

Both of the filters are clean... machine was serviced acoupe of months ago, and I inspected them myself. It feels electrical to me.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    If i leave it alone for a while, it will start blowing, however may or may not continue.

It sounds like it could be the final stage unit. If so, it's a cheap and easy job; check out this how-to.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Thanks, Road.

Did some more checking - confirmed compressor works. Also, if the system is off no airflow, if car moving. If system on, airflow with roadspeed, but the air is chilled, not ambient temperature.
    If system on, airflow with roadspeed, but the air is chilled, not ambient temperature.

Another thing I forgot to mention is to check the condition of a particularly well-hidden HVAC blower fuse.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Roadburner, thanks. I removed the FSU and put it back... now it works. I'm still replacing the unit, since I don't need it quitting on me for good on a nice cold day!

Thanks again.
    Thanks again.

Glad to be able to help!

• Mr. Shiftright
    I've been keeping an eye on your fourms over the past few years and agreed with most of your opinions, and very impressed with you views and vast knowledge of automotive repair and your willingnes and determinatation to find the correct answers and offer your valuable assistanc at no charge. But I must call you on your cylinder leakdown test to diagnose bad valve guides and/or seals. When doing a leakdown test the piston should be fully up and both intake and exhaust valves should be closed to isolate the cylinder,so in no way should any pressure leak past the valve seats. and put any pressure on the valve guides/or seals. Sorry I was just going through old threads

jimmyzzz
  • Hi Jimmy,

Point well taken and thanks for clarifying. I don't recall the post. Maybe I was suggesting a cylinder leakdown as a "catch-all" kind of diagnosis,which of course it isn't really.

Sometimes, and especially on complex modern engines, you have to use 2 or 3 different techniques to snuff out an engine problem.

For valve guides/stem seals specifically, I guess a good road test would help; also, if the cylinder leakdown shows a good result, you can eliminate piston rings as a source of the oil loss/burning.

So you get to valve guides by elimination rather than direct testing.
  • did you receive an answer to your question. I also have a 1998 528i, I tried to unlock my doors this morning and nothing happened at either the driver's side door or the trunk. figure it is something with electrical/ battery - kind of odd that i can't even open up the doors??
  • Can you open them with the key?
  • cannot open with keyfob or with key in either driver's side door or the trunk
  • Took advice and held up the door handle, was able to open car successfully and start it up. Now I am wondering if I have a problem with the security system that is going to come back on some cold, dark night. Any thoughts?
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    I now have 66.5K miles on my 2002 530i. Over the last 10K miles or so, it's been going through about a quart of oil every 3K miles. I am using the dealer recommended oil, which is the BMW High Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30. Is this amount of oil consumption a concern? About half of the miles is at Southern California highway speeds and half is city or in heavy freeway traffic.

The BMW CPO warrantee is ending in 2 months. Is there anything I should be looking for before it expires?

Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Nope, not a concern at all as many engines (from BMW and others) use that much or more even when new(ish). That said, if your oil consumption starts to accelerate (like a quart per 1,000 miles) it is time to be concerned.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    Thanks for your comments about the oil consumption shipo. It brightened my Monday.