Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Fan Club - 2014 Mazda Mazda3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 5,833
edited July 10 in Mazda
imageThe Fan Club - 2014 Mazda Mazda3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com conducts a long-term test of a 2014 Mazda 3 and reports on its popularity in our office for being so satisfying to drive.

Read the full story here

Comments

• juwujuwu Posts: 14

which one would you get, a 3S (or 3i) hatchback or a Focus ST? all of me likes the lift throttle oversteer in the ST, but part of me asks is it really worth it for a 98% street driven car.

• tshoetshoe NorthWestPosts: 3

All that I read is love for the Mazda3. It is tops on my list for a new car next year. Comparing a 3S Touring or GT against a VW GLI or GTI or used 3 series. Thoughts?

• dr_zeusdr_zeus Posts: 1

juwu - I was in the exact same market 6 months ago and assumed I would buy the 3s. Both are great cars, but after driving the ST, I was completely hooked. It's my daily driver and I love it every single time I see it or drive it. The ST is very easy to live with in day to day life and a complete blast when you push it hard. By far the best car I've owned (runner up: a '97 Integra GS-R). If they had a Mazdaspeed version of the current 3, that'd be interesting, but till they do, it's ST all day.

• juwujuwu Posts: 14
    edited July 11

dr_zeus-i drove the focus st at ford's autox/PR event and loved it (i worked for ford in dearborn 2001-2006). my first real experience with 90's honda was my gf's/now wife's 94 civic cx hatchback. 90's honda products are pretty awesome, her car needs moar power but it's hard to beat it's 42+ hwy mpg. if we didn't just have a baby we'd probably have bought an st and i'd look for engine to swap into her civic.

tshoe - it's going to be a gamble with reliability if you go vw or bmw. i'd get a 3i or focus st. 3s is too expensive for the 2.5L

• adantiumadantium Posts: 16

I owned a Protege. Good enough around town. Great even but the NOISE. I couldn't stand it on the highway on long trips. Too much road noise.. Had to yell to be heard and turn the stereo way up to hear it properly.

• glossgloss Posts: 146

@adantium weirdly, I miss that.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,673
    edited July 15

@tshoe

The F30 3ers are very soft and uninvolving compared to previous 3er iterations(my 2007 MS3 is much more fun to drive). I've owned 10 BMWs since 1983 and of the new cars only the M235i and M3/4 get my heart rate up. That said, a CPO E90 3er is a nice car- that's what my wife has. OTOH, my son is probably buying a 3 s Touring to take back to college...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica