Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Outback Transmission Problems

maninbrownmaninbrown Member Posts: 1
edited December 2015 in Subaru

I have a 2013 Outback that has since new chugged and has had a feeling of not going smoothly through the gears up to around 30 mph (mainly around 20-25 mph). Since it occurs intermittently the first two times into the dealer to fix it they found nothing wrong but on the third time back in they found that Subaru sent it out from the factory with 1/2 quart too much tranny fluid. Dealer drained to the proper level but I am still noticing the same symptoms only not as bad as before. Took it back for fourth time and after they drove it for a total of 10 miles and hooked it up to the computer they said they could find nothing wrong. My question is driving it 10,000 miles with 1/2 qt too much tranny fluid going to have caused damage or possible future damage to seals, etc. When I asked the Service Manager that he responded that I had plenty of warranty left. Would like to be driving the same car many miles after the warra

Comments

• komfyk9infokomfyk9info Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015
    maninbrown
    I am having the exact same issue with my 2013 Outback 2.5 L with the CVT. The car will hesitate to accelerate from a stop and sometimes is worse than others. We have had the car at 2 different dealerships 3 separate times and still not resolved. The first dealership we took it too did the software update to the ECM that is supposed to resolve this issue.. The issue was still happening and it almost seemed worse at times. My wife almost got T-Boned trying to pull into traffic one day because of the 2-4 second lag where the car was barely moving. We took it back to that dealership and they could not find any codes or anything else going on.
    We took it to another dealer today 12/14/15 and they stated that the Transmission Fluid was exactly 1/2 qt too full and drained it down.
    We paid for the extended warranty for up to 100,000 miles and have just 75,000 currently on it but they still charged me $133.97 to check it out and drain off the extra fluid.
    I brought your post to their attention and stated it must be a known issue if it is exactly the same amount of overfill that you also referenced.
    The service manager told me because it was over the original 60,000 mile warranty there wasn't anything he could do and I had to pay the bill. I'm not sure what my extended warranty covers then??
    Anyway reading all the forums this seems to be a huge issue and Subaru still hasn't figured out how the resolve it.
    I should also state that we also own a 2013 2.5L Legacy with the CVT and have had no issues with it at all. In fact as far as acceleration goes it's like driving a totally different brand of car (in a good way).
    I'm really upset that I had to shell out money for something that is obviously a known issue. Subaru has acknowledged it is an issue and that is why they did the software update to fix it but from experience and from all the forums they missed the mark with the fix.
    I'm hoping Subaru will reimburse me my out of pocket since the dealership said I would have to deal with the manufacturer on this..
    Regards,
    komfyk9info
  • mikek2015mikek2015 Member Posts: 8
    I guess there must be some problem with your engine and Transmission computers. It may be necessary in some instances to go into the transmission to see how badly its damaged, but by that time, a good technician will usually already know that it will either need to be rebuilt, replaced, or can be repaired. Or it could be a broken part inside, or it could just be worn out with that many miles on it. Especially if the fluid wasn't changed regularly according to the maintenance schedule.