Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix GT popping noise

pontiacfan85pontiacfan85 Member Posts: 10
edited July 2014 in Pontiac
My Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2001 everytime I turn like pulling into a parking lot to park turn mostly left i hear this poping noise like i dont know what it is. I just had the right ball jonit replaced like all most 2 weeks ago cost me $217.00 bucks my question is [non-permissible content removed] could this be now making this poping nosie any feed back would help dearly thanks Pontiacfan85

Answers

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited July 2014

@pontiacfan85 said:
    My Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2001 everytime I turn like pulling into a parking lot to park turn mostly left i hear this poping noise like i dont know what it is. I just had the right ball jonit replaced like all most 2 weeks ago cost me $217.00 bucks my question is [non-permissible content removed] could this be now making this poping nosie any feed back would help dearly thanks Pontiacfan85

Without hearing the noise and based on the description of "popping":

Does the noise happen while actually turning the steering wheel (the wheel is
    being turned) from one direction
    to the next? That might be a ball joint (the other one?) OR the bushing in the strut
    that carries the weight of the car up near the top of the spring.

Another choice might be the constant velocity joint (CVT) that lets the front wheels
    move relative to the position of the axle coming out of the transmission to each
    front wheel. The CVT is covered with a rubber boot. This might occur while
    rolling and the joint's pieces are moving in and out on each of the 3 parts of the
    CVT. This might be quiet rolling forward or backward with the steering wheel
    straight, more or less. And it might occur with the steering wheel turned (but not
    changing the amount the steering has been turned) because in that position more
    movement among the pieces of the CVT is required.

You said the ball joint was replaced so I assume the rivets were drilled out
    and replaced with bolts holding a new ball joint into the lower suspension arm.
    It's possible it's the rubber isolators on the lower arm moving slightly as the suspension
    changes position.

Take it back to your shop guy for a quick analysis, especially if it seems to be
    coming from the side on which he replaced the ball joint.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,