Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Toyota Highlander poor mpg.

bedwards4bedwards4 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Toyota

I have a 2014 Toyota Highlander AWD. I am only averaging 18.8 mpgs with mixed driving. I have taken it back to the dealership and they claim there is nothing wrong with it. Suggestions?

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

What's your mix of driving? City, highway, heavy commute? Are you a lead foot who likes to race from the stoplight (or maybe you have to stick you foot in it on your commute to keep from getting run over?).

The discussion hasn't been active lately, but you might get some ideas on things to check in the Highlander Real World MPG discussion. And you may want to copy/paste your post over there.

• nizzonizzo Member Posts: 7

@bedwards4 said:
    I have a 2014 Toyota Highlander AWD. I am only averaging 18.8 mpgs with mixed driving. I have taken it back to the dealership and they claim there is nothing wrong with it. Suggestions?

First, how many miles do you have? The first couple thousand miles I think won't get you optimal MPG. Secondly, I think you're doing more city driving than you think. I also got mpg in that range you report, but then it easily climbed to above 20 once we started doing a bit more of the hwy mixed into it. Heck, today on a 21 mile trip, which was 95% highway, we hit stop heavy traffic for part of it, had the AC running 100% of the time, and I still managed 24.7 mpg. Sure, I wasn't driving with a lead foot, but I had 2 adults and 2 kids in the car too.

• twhoustontwhouston Member Posts: 3

It also depends on how fast you drive it on the highway. Your mileage will drop precipitously for every mph over 55 mph. The website fueleconomy.gov estimates that for the average car, the following drop in mileage at the following speeds: (1) 3% at 60 (2) 8% at 65 (3) 17% at 70 (4) 23% at 75 (5) 28% at 80. For a tall SUV like the Highlander, the mileage will suffer even more. Here in Texas, where we have speed limits of up to 75 mph, our highway mileage is significantly less than the EPA numbers.

• clansman52clansman52 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

I have a new '14 Highlander XLE AWD with 7300 miles on it, (V6) and just came back from a trip from Albany NY to the Outer banks in NC and with the vehicle LOADED and A/C on got 25.2 MPG ! I am assuming your AWD is a 6 and not the 4 cyl. If your tires are not inflated properly and/or you drive with a lead foot , that may be your answer. I get 22.2 mpg on a 19 mile trip to work each day with mixed driving but typically maintaining 35-50 mph. In addition, on my trip I was averaging 70-75 mph. on the interstates. If these answers don't help your eco mode on the throttle position sensor may not be working correctly. A warranty issue at the dealer. Hope this info helps. Ps. My screen name does not signify any membership with the KKK. It denotes my Scottish heritage. Just saying.