Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4WD systems explained

Comments

• nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Sometimes manufacturer brochures are wrong and sometimes the "official" information contradicts itself. Press releases are notorious for getting things screwed up too.

I'm curious to see what the story is here.

Yup, I understand that. I, too, am curious to see what the story is here. But from what I've seen, in the Canadian market all trim lines get the Torsen center diff, while in the US only the Limited trim gets the Torsen center diff.

I hope that I'm wrong and your editor is right. But I'd really like to see some clarification from Toyota.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    Poutine, Nanaimo bars, standard heated seats and Timmys....

Canadians get all the good stuff. :-)

But my guess is that Toyota didn't screw up the specs you listed or the press release though. :(

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

That's my guess as well. Darnit. A Trail Edition with heated seats and a lockable Torsen center diff might be right up my alley.
    I'm right there with you Steve. Here in New England, I won't buy a car without heated seats.
    The 2010 4Runner SR5 and Trail Edition do NOT have a Torsen center differential. They have the VF2A transfer case. In other words, it is a part-time 4WD system that is not suitable for use on the road. Offroad only.

This is a major step backwards for the 4Runner.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Don't be so quick..!!

The shop manuals still show a "Torsen" type diff'l, perhaps a "clone" design (patent has run out..??) and not allowed use the "Torsen" name.
    Source for your confirmation? Thanks.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

As of 2010 the 4runner can be ordered with a simple transfer case, PART-TIME 4WD, or with the Torsen, FULL-TIME R/AWD or PART-TIME selectable mode.

"...But..., frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!..."

Can someone tell me, PLEASE tell me, why full-time AWD/4WD is so all-fired desireable..??

IMMHO an IDEAL AWD system would be predominantly RWD and only couple drive torque to the front if the rear wheels begine to slip/spin. But in NO case should the front wheels be "driven", leading or lagging, with the brakes applied, in a tight turn, a low speed accelerating turn, or if should VSC activation be required.

The only full-time AWD that comes even close to that is the Acura SH-AWD system.

Think about it, if your vehicle has TC/TRAC, Traction Control, of what use is full-time AWD/4WD...?? Unless you have turned it off then the instant wheelspin/slip is detected TC will INSTANTLY moderately brake the slipping wheel(s) and just as INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine.

Yes, you could now turn TC off, but I would just as soon be in the TRUE 4runner and switch to a LOCKED center diff'l/transfer for teh duration of travel on the slippery surface.
    "...not suitable for use on the road.."

Methinks you overstate slightly.

The VF2A transfer will be perfectly fine, quite acceptable, for those of us that must content with wintertime adverse ROADBED conditions. And maybe an occassional venture off-road to get around all the FWD and F/awd either wrecked, stuck, or just simply stalled in the roadway.
    wwest, I've already explained it quite well, and will not continue any conversations with you as long as you continue with that sort of tone. If you wish to have a civilized conversation and leave behind your all caps and eye-rolling and mocking and sarcasm and arrogance, fine. Until then...
    :confuse: :cry: :surprise:
  • guchguch Posts: 12
    I need help with understanding sequoia system.
    I am planning on buying this truck for my wife. Since it is a RWD truck I worry about her driving it on wet roads and in snow. Switching to 4WD seems to eat a lot more gas so it seems like a waste to drive in 4WD in just little rain or snow. How is Sequoia's traction control and vehicle stability control going to do in these conditions? Dealer says it does greatith VSC alone withput need to turn on 4WD.
    My other option is to get Lexus GX 470 or 460 when it comes out , these are full time AWD.

Thank you for your advise and help
  • Do any current SUV's have a selectable 4WD/AWD mode, it seems to be more fuel efficient while most of your driving is generally 2WD. Thanks
    In reality RWD vehicles are a lot more safe in adverse roadbed conditions than their FWD and/or F/awd "brotheren". Even if your wife should leadfoot it a bit inappropreately the RWD vehicle will still have available traction at the front with which to sustain or assume directional control.

Whereas with FWD or F/awd absent Trac she would be in rather serious jepordy. That's why owners are complaining so LOUDLY about the aggressiveness of TC in their FWD and F/awd vehicles. Absent TC's aggressiveness upon detection of even the slightest level of wheelspin/slip there would undoubtedly be a lot more accidents attributed to FWD and F/awd vehicles.

Just think of TC as the inverse equivalent of ABS, it's there to save your life.
  • I have a 2000 LC (love it, had since new) and have run dedicated snows on it in the winter. I have DMZ2 Bridgestone and hit something in the road that trashed one tire. They have low miles (<5k). I cannot find a 275-70 16 DMZ2 to replace it as they have not made them now for several years.

NTB/Sullivan Tire are both telling me I need to replace all 4 tires or I will trash the AWD system as different snow (even the DMZ3) will have different tread pattern = differnt rolling resistance. They claim the AWD system will see slippage all the time instead of temporary (as it was designed for) and wear out the system.

They claim they will not even mount a single snow of different tread type. Even if I replace 2 (same axle). My question is, is this overkill or not? I have 120K on my LC and would like to keep it and do not want to create problems, but my engineering mind says if I mount two of the same on each axle, even different treads (but close) I will be fine.

What would you do? Throw out 3 perfectly good tires and drop $600 to replace? Replace 2? or 1?

Thank you
    George
    I NEVER rotate the spare so it is always available in the kind of instance you have.

I would NEVER replace only one tire on an AWD vehicle, 2 at the minimum.
  • Replacing 2 on the same axle is probably alright then?
    Same tire size, and only 5,000 miles on the others, I would say yes.
  • How does not rotating the spare help the situation where one tire is destroyed? By rotating the spare wouldn't it be approximately the same treadwear as the remaining 3 tires? Then a new tire can be purchased as the spare. Once the primary 4 need replacement reintroduce the spare to rotation.
    You can shave a tire to match the circumference of the other three, so that would be an option if you choose not to put the spare in the rotation, and there's a significant difference between the spare and the other three remaining tires. It may take a bit of scouting around to find a tire shop capable of shaving the tire.

I have a flat on my Subaru right now and I'm hoping that it's an easy fix, since my spare is a space-saver.

Tirerack has a page about replacing tires on AWD and 4WD vehicles. They recommend rotating the spare on 4WD/AWD vehicles.