Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jonnyjazzjonnyjazz Posts: 5
    Hi – was wondering what some recent lease deals some of you may have gotten. I’m in Northern Virgina (Wash, DC market). My first time leasing (usually buy and drive ‘em for 10-12 years).

Want to lease a 2005 Maxima SL with drivers preferred package, VDC, sunroof (also splash guards, XM – though don’t really need those – but it’s on the lot). Got a good initial offer from the dealer (I think) $26,895 – with the $1,250 rebate.

However, the lease price was $470/month. 0 down. 36 months and 15k. And I wasn’t happy with the person I talked to about it. Wouldn’t tell me “money factor” or what it would equate as APR. Wanted to get a price point. But also told him I wasn’t buying today and still had an Accord to compare. (Ruled out Camry. Liked Acura TL but didn’t meet needs.)

Internet lease price checked got me a $420/month quote.

I liked the Maxima a lot.

Then checked out Honda Accord EX and found Honda has a national lease deal at $249/month. 36 months and 12k. $1,500 down for that rate. (So I could go 0 down and get it for $300/month) Gen Sales Mgr was great at local dealer. Explained everything including 2.25% APR. No pressure. Offered to waive down payment. Initial offer from dealer of $23,058 for the EX.

What’s the deal? I’d select the Maxima over the Accord even with the higher Max sales price. But it’s not worth $7,920 more over 3 years to me (or apples to apples with 0 down $6,120).

Any deals on Maxima leases coming … or that you’ve got? I’d go with Maxima if I could get a better lease deal.

Thanks for your help!
  • jmiravjmirav Posts: 16
    what is the MSRP on the Maxima? That seems too good to be true.

who is the dealer? I will come to D.C. if I can save that much.
  • sschumersschumer Posts: 19
    Want to thank everyone here, especially Thenebean. Picked up my 2005 Maxima SL last Friday for $500 below invoice. Only additional costs paid were $149 document fee, $59 for title & transferring registration, $8 tire fee, and tax. That's it. Then got the $1,250 rebate applied.

As a 25-year IBM sales veteran and current executive, I buy the way I sell – considering more than just the lowest price, valuing service and support, and appreciating how fair business dealings lead to long-term relationships and repeat business. After researching cars for almost three months and deciding on the Maxima, a couple of weeks ago I faxed my interest in purchasing one to almost a dozen Nissan dealers in the central New Jersey area. I was quite specific, pointing out the exact configuration I was looking for and pronouncing myself ready to buy immediately. I shared with them that I had no trade-in and based on market pricing learned through Edmunds, expected to get the car for hundreds below invoice. Having never owned a Nissan, I had no dealer bias other than distance. My preference – assuming everything else being close to equal – would have been to buy from the dealer closest to my home. However, not all of course was equal. First off, some of the dealers eliminated themselves by their lack of timely response. Others refused to quote me a true “out-the-door” price in writing. And some who did padded their cost with items I didn’t request or want but they touted as “non-negotiable” -- such as $200 for VIN etching I found it somewhat ironic that the area’s only dealerships with totally clean records with both the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau of NJ were the two who were offering both competitive out-the-door prices in writing and treated me in a professional way. I knew $500 below invoice was the best deal available because I walked out after they both put their final offer in writing, and both said even though they knew I might be buying elsewhere, they said that was the best they could do. I believed it. In the end, I chose my dealer because of three things: One, their complimentary loaner car program for appropriate scheduled maintenance; Two, the warm and “small-town” atmosphere of their store; and lastly, the professionalism and responsiveness of the salesman.

All in all, it was a great buying experience and I believe a great car. Thanks again to all of you who helped make it so.
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    glad everything worked out - and happy i was able to help! enjoy your new car - it certainly is a great one!

-thene :)
    Is that standard? I remember paying like a $25 notary fee with the last car I purchased but "thenebean" what is up with the $149 document fee? Is that a Nissan thing?

sschumer since you are in NJ only a state away from Pa and you seemed to have worked on it pretty hard I feel comfortable that $400 to $600 under invoice is a good deal.

My experience so far:

nicest thing about it: the Maxima is simply a great looking car and visiting a dealership and seeing 10 Maximas lined up one after another makes your heart race.

worst thing about it: these dumb video clip/ power point emails that every dealer who has my email address sends to me that provide no information but claim to be an "on line dealership." They are sent out automatically and when you are waiting for a specific answer by email from a dealer you receive 2 or 3 of these that of course provide no real information and surely don't answer the specific questions I asked.

how it has been different from shopping for a Maxima in 2002: real reluctance from dealers in person and even by email to put their price in writing. Instead, I have gotten pricing verbally most of the time.

how it has been the same from shopping for a Maxima in 2002: I had one dealer email me how I was cheapening the brand by price shopping. Of course, this is the same dealer who has slogans like "we will not be undersold" and "we buy in volume so that you can save." In 2002, I had a similar email response from a dealer saying I was depleting the resale value of Maximas by buying under invoice.

most disappointing thing this time: I had a dealer email me a price on the exact car I wanted in the exact color combination with a price $750 under invoice. After I used that price with other dealers for a few hours, he retracted it as a mistake. I think he truly did make a mistake so I didn't make a big deal about it.

strangest dealer move: A dealer about an hour away responded to my price quote request by saying "spend a week getting your best price bring it to me and I will beat it by $500 or give you $500 check." I am now $600 south of invoice (plus $1250 cash back). So do I call him on this one? I assume there is no way he is going to sell it to me for $1100 under invoice. I know thenebean is going to say I should leave him off the hook because he probably expected me to come back to him with invoice or a little under but not $600 under.

I expect to buy by the end of the week. Visited three dealerships; emailed about 25. Worked with about 10 of those. Three salesperson have stood out as most professional and those are the three still in the running.
  • tmp0404tmp0404 Posts: 9
    Can you indicate where in Eastern Pa your are getting this quote, I'm also in the market for a like Maxima, and live in the Lehigh Valley area.

Thanks.
    not sure if we are allowed to identify dealer names here; you can email me at jmirav@aol.com and I will give information
    funny thing is i've never heard of a notary fee, but dealer conveyance fees are charged by the individual dealership. it essentially helps cover the cost of DMV, paperwork, overhead, etc. I guess you could call it profit - though it isnt really. It goes to the operating costs of the business. Some states regulate how much a dealer can charge, others do not. CT (where I am) does not, and you will find those fees to range from $199 up to $499 and higher.

as far as that dealer who told you he'd beat the price by $500 or give you the check for $500, why not take him up on it? He offered it, see what happens! If he is going to guarantee something like that, let him eat his own words and deal with the loss. Hey, worst that could happen is they say no, right? ;-)

enjoy your maxima!

-thene
    Interestingly, the dealer that is 600 under promises with the exception of tax and tags there are no other fees. I agree with you that there are real costs associated with the paper work. However, there are real costs associated with the keeping the car clean, heating the showroom etc. but i wouldn't expect them on the bill.

Regarding the I will beat it by 500 bucks guy, i did call him and he said he knows i am 600 under and will still do it. The downside: I would take at least 2 hours out of my day to get up there.
    I thought you previously posted that the holdback is only $650 on Maximas; if that is correct then how can I take a $1100 under invoice offer serious? A friend who has been with another brand said the actual holdback and incentives on Maximas is in excess of 4% of MSRP. Can that be correct?
    holdback depends on every vehicle, and every company does it differently. Currently there is a special program for dealers who hit their target for Maximas/Altimas that gives a bonus $250 per car sold. It may be why he may be able to give you that deal at this time. Had that program not been in place, he may not have - or he figures if he promised to beat it by $500 or give you a check for $500 - its better to at least get the sale if its gonna be $500 either way, right?

good luck whichever way you choose!

-thene :)
    well I went an hour out of my way. Salesman said we said we would do the deal so we will do the deal but we need the owner's approval and he is not here. So I am suppose to hear tomorrow. I now spent the time going up there and now i want the deal or my 500 buck check.

i will keep you posted.
  • reuel3reuel3 Posts: 114
    You can post the name of the dealership, just not the names/contact info of the salespeople. Please don't post messages with "you can e-mail me at..." -- this prevents others from benefitting from this experience. Also, posting your e-mail address in your message is a good way to get on more spam lists as the bots will likely pick it up.
  • steevosteevo Posts: 330
    Just to add...The current Nissan rebate on Maxima is 1250 if you do not use Nissan Financing or Nisan-Infiniti Lease. if you use Nissan lease there is 500 cash available to dealer which must be considered when comparing quotes.
  • sschumersschumer Posts: 19
    Posted on 05/03/05 my actual price paid and buying experience, thought I'd add why I thought the 2005 Maxima SL (with sunroof, VDC, DPP, SIRIUS radio, floor/trunk mats & splash guards) was the best choice for ME. I stress that as, of course, anyone's choice depends on their own key criteria, as well as subjective evaluations.

First off, I was replacing a '97 Dodge Intrepid. And my key decision criteria in '05 was not disimilar from '97. As a 48 year-old family man with two (now teenage) sons, and someone who purchases cars and plans to keep for many years, I decided I still wanted and needed a family sedan and valued most (not in any particular order): Reliability and safety (VDC important), family size (rear seat room, trunk), looks / sportiness, and initial cost ($30K or under). The Maxima met all these criteria and more. I didn't choose the following cars because of the following reasons:

TOYOTA AVALON: Even more back seat room than the Maxima and as reliable, but didn't like looks, drives like a livingroom, is marketed as basically "an old(er) man's car," and cost thousands more comparably equipped.

ACURA TL: Colleague at work bought one in February, have driven in it a number of times since. Great car. But Consumer Reports (CR) lists reliability as only average (Maxima is very good, a shade under excellent), TL more expensive, smaller back seat and trunk, back seat doesn't fold down.

VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT: Average reliability at BEST. Whole Volkswagen line not good reliability per CR. Otherwise, I thought an excellent car from a feature / function standpoint. But fairly bland looks.

NISSAN ALTIMA: Reliability average. No VDC. Didn't like looks as much as Maxima. But was less expensive with many similar traits, i.e. rear seat room.

TOYOTA CAMRY: Excellent reliability and car, size of rear seat and trunk, comporable cost, maybe even a bit less. But find the looks very bland, just simply did not want the car so many others on the road drive.

HONDA ACCORD: Similar to Camry analysis above, although no VDC option and reliability above average, not excellent. A bit sportier handling and looks than the Camry, but still neither as good as the Maxima. No heated outside mirrors, smaller trunk as well.

Did for a short time look at some small SUV's, but decided another family sedan was best for me. However, if I had bought one, the Honda CRV would have been my clear-cut choice over the Ford Escape, Subaru Forester or Toyota RAV-4, based mostly on excellent reliability, much bigger back seat (leg room) than anything else (even mid-size SUV's), great feature in that the rear seats recline up to 45 degrees, cargo space, transmission, gas mileage and VDC.

One last item: I bought my Maxima in Spirited Bronze with Cafe Latte (camel) leather interior. Love the bronze / pewter color to begin with, let alone its uniqueness. Liked this exterior / interior color comibination better than any available in the six other cars listed above.

To each his own, but hope others find this helpful!
    Pa. and Nj. appear to have a glut of 12/04 2005 Maxima that have the traction control standard but do not have the last price increase>

Transmission
    5-Speed Automatic
    Packages and Options
    Driver Preferred Package $800
    Power Glass Sunroof $900
    Splash Guards $120

Accessories
    Carpeted Floor & Trunk Mats $150 ((( price went up to 160 I believe)))

Base MSRP $29,600.00 ((( not the price went up I believe to 29,750)))
    Total Packages, Options, & Accessories $1,970.00
    Destination & Handling $580.00
    Total MSRP† $32,150.00
  • angelaw1angelaw1 Posts: 2
    2004 Maxima SL, fully loaded except navigation, 7500 miles.
    asking price is $24,991. dealer says he would only go down to $23,991. Is this a good deal? He's not willing to negotiate any more than that and the car is beautiful!!!!!
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 883
    Look up Edmunds TMV on the used car part of the website and input your zip code and options on the vehicle. That will give you a start. You can also ask Terry over on the Real World Trade In Values (people also ask about asking prices for slightly used cars there).
    sunroof, driver preferred package, splash guards, carpeted mats?

the SL invoice without above on a 2005 is only 27,782 (most are between 150 and 300 less if they have been sitting there before price increases 27,482) - 1250 cash back is 26,232 . If you get a new one for 500 under invoice, 25,732. So for 1,740 you could have a new one. If any of the above is on it then, add the invoice price of the options on the 2005. Most 2005s also have traction control standard.
    Angelaw1 Sorry if I was unclear in my above post. Basically, I think for 1,700 bucks more you could have a new 2005 rather than pay almost 24,000 for a used 2004. I started looking for a used 2004 three weeks ago and got such crappy pricing that i bought a new 2005 last night.