Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jinsatxjinsatx Posts: 5
    Steevo,

When I did the math, I was better off taking the 1250 rebate and 4% interest for 60 months than taking the 2% Nissan financing and no rebate.
  • sschumersschumer Posts: 19
    I'm directing this to the informative and candid Connecticut-based Nissan Internet Salesman who frequents this board. HELP!!! After months of research, I decided I want to buy a Nissan 2005 Maxima SL (in Bronze w/Cafe Latte interior) with Moonroof, VDC, Sirius radio (and floor mats and splash guards). So I contact two area dealers here in central NJ and they tell me they don't have any '05 Maximas (of any color combo) with VDC that don't come with the $800 Driver Preferred Package (DPP), which I absolutely don't want. And they say none available in whole Northeast the way I want. I tell them I'm willing to place a factory order, but they state the car cannot be ordered with VDC w/out DPP. I shared I'm confused because the '05 brochure says the only pre-req for VDC is auto trans and a moonroof. And I kick in that Nissan Consumer Affairs HQ in CA confirmed to me that the official Product Guide says the same. Their response is both the brochure and Nissan Consumer Affairs are wrong. And they tell me if I don't place a factory order by end of this week, it'll be too late to place for a '05. I really don't want to believe that because I want the important VDC safety feature, Nissan would force me to buy an $800 (MSRP) add-on I have no interest in -- especially if I'm willing to factory order it. Boy, if I can't get this car the way I want, I think I'm resigned to look at something else. Any possible insight/suggestions?
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    sschumer,

sorry to say, but the salesperson is right - there are no maximas with VDC without DPP in the northeast currently. as far as ordering, i cant be sure, but i would check with another dealership as well (i am at home now, but i can check tomorrow for you at work!) nissan usually makes vehicles equipped the most popular way (and usually for some reason they think vdc goes with dpp). i am not sure about ordering ending this week, i actually checked with the sales manager that does all the ordering today, and he said he wasnt sure when 05 ordering was going to close out. call to a couple of dealerships around you and see what they say regarding ordering what you are looking for. maybe the other dealership is just trying to get you to buy one from stock (which dealers always like to do)

i'll check tomorrow at work, and let me know what other dealers say when you call! good luck!

-thene :)
    Thene, did check with another few dealers, only one appeared to actually check if the configuration I want was factory orderable. And they said it is not. Did you find anything different?
    no luck here :-( - sorry sschumer! its one of those freak nissan things i guess. we'll come across those sometimes...

like now the 3.5SE Altima is no longer available in a 5speed manual for the rest of the year...nuts!

• jinsatxjinsatx Posts: 5
    Yes, you cannot get the VDC package without the DPP package. Not only that, you also have to get the sunroof. I've just bought an SE with the VDC and it has DPP and the sunroof, but I wanted those anyway. As far as I can tell, I got the only 2005 left in the San Antonio/Austin area with the VDC package. These are real hard to find as most people don't think it's worth the $600 as you and I do, so the dealers don't order them.
    Thanks much Thenebean and Jinsatx. I need to noodle on this, but the two-page article on VDC in the April Consumer Reports annual auto issue provides a very compelling case for getting VDC. Says it's such an important safety feature it'll be standard in all cars by 2010, but today most consumers and even dealers don't fully understand its function and importance.

Thenebean: Any idea when you guys get insight into changes coming with the '06 Maximas? Any chance Nissan might make VDC standard, or separate it from DPP, therefore allowing me to consider waiting a few months to purchase?
  • ronmexicoronmexico Posts: 7
    Has anyone been able to find out what incentives Nissan is offering on Maxima's and Altima's during May? April's Cash Back/Financing deals expired May 2, but I haven't seen any updates. Thene - any input?

Thanks all!
    ronmexico,

rebates stayed the same, but the financing has gone up 1% for 60 months. it stayed the same through 36, and went up 1% for 48 and 60.

hope that helped!

-thene
  • steevosteevo Posts: 332
    Scored a Maxima SE with DPP,Sunroof, Xenons, and Factory XM.
    Sticker 32880..Invoice 29881.
    Thanks EVERYONE for sharing your pricing experiences.
    Here is a repost of what I replied to someone asking in the Leasing forum..

I paid 8.75% Tax(NY LI yikes!!) ,aquisition, and 200 in MV fees difference to actual registration amount to be refunded. Was about 2400 dollars.(I had trade value which ate those costs..I negotiated deal by Email through Internet Sales guy without mentioning Trade. Terry at the Trade Forum here gave great advice on real world trade in value..Thanks Terry!)
    I email negotiated using the April Lease numbers from Car_Man. I never gave the payment amount, just the terms. I had worked the numbers myself so I would know what a good offer would be. They emailed me back 378 + 2400 out of pcket and a residual number 1 point lower than I used. My calculations using April was 375.61 PRE tax they were 378.98 but they never disclosed the new MF and I never asked..but they were 52% residual. 036mnths/15k per NMAC lease.
    All in all a nice deal!

Go to the Maxima Prices Paid board to get an idea what people are paying in your area. I will repost this there where it probably belongs anyway.
    Good Luck!
  • mukeshmukesh Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just purchased 2005 Maxima SE last night and paid 23k for it( Also lifetime free oil change warrenty free). It dosen't have nevigation system or aut seat adjustment etc but it is nicely equipped with dula AC and all othe statndard gadgets. Anyway the delership is DarCar Nissan in Rockville, Maryland. Great people great price.
    Damn! Traction Control was important to me. Nisans literature and Website indicate that TCS is STANDARD on the 2005 Maxima. Mine doesn't have it. Never looked for it, never talked to dealer about it since I had already researched new cars and Nissan indicated it was standard.
    Turns out that it is only in 2005s that came off assembly line after November of 04. Of course mine was built in September! I wish I knew as this was an important feature to me and I would have checked for it and could have picked another off the lot.
    Any Nissan people on this board encounter this before?
    :mad: ............ :mad: ........... :mad: ............. :mad: . :mad:
    nissan will do that sometimes - a vehicle is already on the assembly line, and they decide to add something to the vehicle after some have already been built. nothing you can do about it now unfortunately! if it makes you feel any better, the price on a 2005 maxima with the TCS actually is a higher base price than the ones without...

so in essence you would still be paying for it...

-thene
    Any experience with TCS on this car? Its FWD so I assume fairly good in the snow anyway. I also have a 2005 Pathfinder LE with VDC and it is definately worth it on an SUV.
    BTW, I am pretty impressed with the car.
    Mine is Majestic Blue with Frost leather, DPP,Sensory,Xenons,power moonroof,Factory XM. Car looks very sharp and rides great.
  • jmiravjmirav Posts: 16
    Basically, I want the 2005 Maxima SL, with driver preferred package, traction control and sunroof. I live in Eastern Pa. The MSRP is $32,150 and I have a price of $27,325 (after my $1250 back). I am not sure what the invoice is on this ?
    Can someone tell me whether this is a good deal? and what the invoice price is?

Thanks
    you are $750 below invoice on that car (though its weird, on my locator, there are no cars with an MSRP of $32150, but all of them are $32180...)

anyways, needless to say, you have a great deal going there!

• jconnor1jconnor1 Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to sign a lease on a Nissan Maxima SL and I want to know if the numbers look right. I may not have all the info you need to be able to assess.
    2005 Maxima SL with DPP. Sticker Price is $32,750.
    $395.00 per month with $1999 down - this includes 1st month payment.

Your prompt feed back is requested. I haven't leased in a while and I can't tell if I'm leaving money on the table. I don't have a trade-in.
    Thanks!
    many dealers in Pa and new jersey have car for 32,150 msrp
  • gchu5gchu5 Posts: 5
    I am in a market for Nissan Maxima. Since it is almost summer, my dilemma is whether to purchase a 2005 Maxima SL now or wait a bit for the new 2006 Maxima to come out.

What are the pro's and con's of either choice? Would I get the newer (and potentially better) car with the same price (Maxima SL 05 MSRP $32,480 with VDC/SunRoof/DPP), if I were to wait a bit for the newer 06 model to come out?

Your opinions and insights on this matter are greatly appreciated.

Thanks...George
  • rafarafa Posts: 35
    Just took delivery of 2005 Nissan maxima se midnight blue in lakewood colo paid 25,150 for it wat to now if its a good deal great car love it more then the 2004 Nissan Titan that i have parked in the garage. I"M driving the maxima and the wife is driving the Titan. Traded the 2001 Nissan maxima se fully loaded every option side airbags bose system we got 14200 for it. my wife and I love Nissan cars I"m 24 years old and my wife is 21 and we"ve always had Nissan cars any feed back thanks
  • jonnyjazzjonnyjazz Posts: 5
    Hi – was wondering what some recent lease deals some of you may have gotten. I’m in Northern Virgina (Wash, DC market). My first time leasing (usually buy and drive ‘em for 10-12 years).

Want to lease a 2005 Maxima SL with drivers preferred package, VDC, sunroof (also splash guards, XM – though don’t really need those – but it’s on the lot). Got a good initial offer from the dealer (I think) $26,895 – with the $1,250 rebate.

However, the lease price was $470/month. 0 down. 36 months and 15k. And I wasn’t happy with the person I talked to about it. Wouldn’t tell me “money factor” or what it would equate as APR. Wanted to get a price point. But also told him I wasn’t buying today and still had an Accord to compare. (Ruled out Camry. Liked Acura TL but didn’t meet needs.)

Internet lease price checked got me a $420/month quote.

I liked the Maxima a lot.

Then checked out Honda Accord EX and found Honda has a national lease deal at $249/month. 36 months and 12k. $1,500 down for that rate. (So I could go 0 down and get it for $300/month) Gen Sales Mgr was great at local dealer. Explained everything including 2.25% APR. No pressure. Offered to waive down payment. Initial offer from dealer of $23,058 for the EX.

What’s the deal? I’d select the Maxima over the Accord even with the higher Max sales price. But it’s not worth $7,920 more over 3 years to me (or apples to apples with 0 down $6,120).

Any deals on Maxima leases coming … or that you’ve got? I’d go with Maxima if I could get a better lease deal.

Thanks for your help!
    what is the MSRP on the Maxima? That seems too good to be true.

who is the dealer? I will come to D.C. if I can save that much.
    Want to thank everyone here, especially Thenebean. Picked up my 2005 Maxima SL last Friday for $500 below invoice. Only additional costs paid were $149 document fee, $59 for title & transferring registration, $8 tire fee, and tax. That's it. Then got the $1,250 rebate applied.

As a 25-year IBM sales veteran and current executive, I buy the way I sell – considering more than just the lowest price, valuing service and support, and appreciating how fair business dealings lead to long-term relationships and repeat business. After researching cars for almost three months and deciding on the Maxima, a couple of weeks ago I faxed my interest in purchasing one to almost a dozen Nissan dealers in the central New Jersey area. I was quite specific, pointing out the exact configuration I was looking for and pronouncing myself ready to buy immediately. I shared with them that I had no trade-in and based on market pricing learned through Edmunds, expected to get the car for hundreds below invoice. Having never owned a Nissan, I had no dealer bias other than distance. My preference – assuming everything else being close to equal – would have been to buy from the dealer closest to my home. However, not all of course was equal. First off, some of the dealers eliminated themselves by their lack of timely response. Others refused to quote me a true “out-the-door” price in writing. And some who did padded their cost with items I didn’t request or want but they touted as “non-negotiable” -- such as $200 for VIN etching I found it somewhat ironic that the area’s only dealerships with totally clean records with both the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau of NJ were the two who were offering both competitive out-the-door prices in writing and treated me in a professional way. I knew $500 below invoice was the best deal available because I walked out after they both put their final offer in writing, and both said even though they knew I might be buying elsewhere, they said that was the best they could do. I believed it. In the end, I chose my dealer because of three things: One, their complimentary loaner car program for appropriate scheduled maintenance; Two, the warm and “small-town” atmosphere of their store; and lastly, the professionalism and responsiveness of the salesman.

All in all, it was a great buying experience and I believe a great car. Thanks again to all of you who helped make it so.
    glad everything worked out - and happy i was able to help! enjoy your new car - it certainly is a great one!

Is that standard? I remember paying like a $25 notary fee with the last car I purchased but "thenebean" what is up with the $149 document fee? Is that a Nissan thing?

sschumer since you are in NJ only a state away from Pa and you seemed to have worked on it pretty hard I feel comfortable that $400 to $600 under invoice is a good deal.

My experience so far:

nicest thing about it: the Maxima is simply a great looking car and visiting a dealership and seeing 10 Maximas lined up one after another makes your heart race.

worst thing about it: these dumb video clip/ power point emails that every dealer who has my email address sends to me that provide no information but claim to be an "on line dealership." They are sent out automatically and when you are waiting for a specific answer by email from a dealer you receive 2 or 3 of these that of course provide no real information and surely don't answer the specific questions I asked.

how it has been different from shopping for a Maxima in 2002: real reluctance from dealers in person and even by email to put their price in writing. Instead, I have gotten pricing verbally most of the time.

how it has been the same from shopping for a Maxima in 2002: I had one dealer email me how I was cheapening the brand by price shopping. Of course, this is the same dealer who has slogans like "we will not be undersold" and "we buy in volume so that you can save." In 2002, I had a similar email response from a dealer saying I was depleting the resale value of Maximas by buying under invoice.

most disappointing thing this time: I had a dealer email me a price on the exact car I wanted in the exact color combination with a price $750 under invoice. After I used that price with other dealers for a few hours, he retracted it as a mistake. I think he truly did make a mistake so I didn't make a big deal about it.

strangest dealer move: A dealer about an hour away responded to my price quote request by saying "spend a week getting your best price bring it to me and I will beat it by $500 or give you $500 check." I am now $600 south of invoice (plus $1250 cash back). So do I call him on this one? I assume there is no way he is going to sell it to me for $1100 under invoice. I know thenebean is going to say I should leave him off the hook because he probably expected me to come back to him with invoice or a little under but not $600 under.

I expect to buy by the end of the week. Visited three dealerships; emailed about 25. Worked with about 10 of those. Three salesperson have stood out as most professional and those are the three still in the running.
  • tmp0404tmp0404 Posts: 9
    Can you indicate where in Eastern Pa your are getting this quote, I'm also in the market for a like Maxima, and live in the Lehigh Valley area.

Thanks.
    not sure if we are allowed to identify dealer names here; you can email me at jmirav@aol.com and I will give information
    funny thing is i've never heard of a notary fee, but dealer conveyance fees are charged by the individual dealership. it essentially helps cover the cost of DMV, paperwork, overhead, etc. I guess you could call it profit - though it isnt really. It goes to the operating costs of the business. Some states regulate how much a dealer can charge, others do not. CT (where I am) does not, and you will find those fees to range from $199 up to $499 and higher.

as far as that dealer who told you he'd beat the price by $500 or give you the check for $500, why not take him up on it? He offered it, see what happens! If he is going to guarantee something like that, let him eat his own words and deal with the loss. Hey, worst that could happen is they say no, right? ;-)

enjoy your maxima!

-thene
    Interestingly, the dealer that is 600 under promises with the exception of tax and tags there are no other fees. I agree with you that there are real costs associated with the paper work. However, there are real costs associated with the keeping the car clean, heating the showroom etc. but i wouldn't expect them on the bill.

Regarding the I will beat it by 500 bucks guy, i did call him and he said he knows i am 600 under and will still do it. The downside: I would take at least 2 hours out of my day to get up there.
    I thought you previously posted that the holdback is only $650 on Maximas; if that is correct then how can I take a $1100 under invoice offer serious? A friend who has been with another brand said the actual holdback and incentives on Maximas is in excess of 4% of MSRP. Can that be correct?