Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi TT

Comments

• bruce_wgbruce_wg Posts: 4
    I'm looking at the 180FT, Denim Blue, with Bose & Prem. Pack. I think I can swing it for list plus about $1,000, or $32,250 plus tax (8.25%) and license fees (2 1/1% or so). It will take a little more work (currently at about $32,800), but I think I'll get it down close the that. MSRP is $34,645.

I'm wavering a bit because the dealer (who would like to see off the lot of course) has a silver/ebony roadster with a power top and the same packages that he's making a better offer on to move.

I really like the look of the coup in blue, and I'm not really a ragtop lover, but I'm considering it. I'll post the results by the end of the month.

Bruce
  • gangeltgangelt Posts: 11
    Wish all our choices were this fun. Good luck and post what happens.

Glen
  • brucewgbrucewg Posts: 5
    If the dealer can change a production order it will be May-built and June delivery. If not, June-built and July delivery.

I got the price I wanted, as posted above. If anyone is in the San Jose, CA area I can highly recomend the sales experience at Stevens Creek Audi. Very professional.

Bruce
  • I bought a 225 TT roadster in Jan, nice car, fine, fun even, but not enough power for me... Yeah I know, I can get the chip, and If it wasnt under warranty i would, its been to the shop twice already sense january, minor things, but things I woudl have had to pay for out of warranty, a few hundred here, a few hundred there... Anyway, the other car I considered before the TT was the m3 convert, thought I could save $15k and have agood time with Audi. Now my quesiton is, if I change my mind and go looking for a replacement, has anyone with Audi 225 driving experince out there driven either the M3 2001 or 2002 (333hp, not old 265 or whatever) and/or the SLK32 AMG? (again newer version with 349hp and hardtop.)

-thanks/Bill/Vegas
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I bought an S2000 in November of last year but, at the time, was on the wait list for both an M3 and a C32. I haven't personally driven an SLK32, but a friend has and shared his opinions with me.

To me, the biggest difference between the M3 and any AMG product - C, SLK, E, CLK - is the tighter, more precise handling and availablity of a 6-speed manual. When I got the chance to drive a C32, I was initially infatuated with the power - it has a significant torque advantage over the M3 - but that infatuation quickly wore off and I soon missed rowing my own in the twisties. The C32/SLK32 have one of the best "auto manuals" on the market, but it just wasn't the same driving experience. As evidenced by my desision to get an S2000, I'd rather trade torque for the ability to row my own and wind out an engine to 7,500+ rpm if and when I need to.

As for handling, I really appreciate tight, crisp handling that feels responsive and not overly heavy. To that extent, even the M3 is a very slight step down from an S2000. But the C32 was a huge step down and my buddy who drove the SLK32 was equally unimpressed with it. The SLK is due for a complete redesign, so perhaps Mercedes can cure this, but as of late the AMG engineers seem more consumed by horsepower than handling.

So, either the M3 or SLK32 will amply cure your need for much more power. I like the way the M3 delivers it and I like the BMW handling heads and shoulders above the Mercedes. Even though the M3 is a coupe, it is more of a sports car in my book than the SLK32.
  • jborden1jborden1 Posts: 12
    I've been reading the posts and thought I would add some input. My best freind has a M5, S500, and M3. He just recenlty took me on a ride in their M5, and boy is that the best car known to man. He got it up to 90MPH within a few seconds in town and slammed on the brakes. It was just amazing, I have a new found respect for BMW. But I also think the audi tt is such a great piece of architecture and design. So dollar for dollar, audi wins hands down, but if money doesn't count get and M5!!!!!!
  • I don't own a TT, but my brother did until very recently. It was Denim Blue w/black interior. He loved this car. When he bought it, I thought it was one of the coolest cars I had ever seen. I had TT envy. He just sold it because he needed a more practical car to pull behind his motor home and haul kids in. He is still depressed about having to sell his TT. He always told me that the TT was the most reliable, funnest car he has ever owned. If I had the funds, I would purchase one of these little fun cars. For everyone that owns one of these cars, I am extremely jealous. For now, I am buzzing around in my Miata (another fun car).
  • porzioporzio Posts: 2
    I'm looking at the alms edition - not much price reduction from msrp - can't decide if it's worth it but if I wait there may not be any available - any input?
  • ugly1ugly1 Posts: 52
    18" rims w/40 series tires, a near one of a kind paint job w/ a totally different interior for only another 3.5k. What was the question again?
    MSRP or really close to it seems to be the case all over the country - in some places dealers are starting $4K over MSRP. Supply and demand...only 1,000 for sale.

Good luck!

Bruce
  • porzioporzio Posts: 2
    Thanks guys, I was just getting nervous - I heard that there is a good chance that they possibly won't be continuing the line after '04 - so I didn't know if the resale would be good - but what the heck I love the car.
  • music287music287 Posts: 116
    Somewhere I read that Audi is considering discontinuing the TT. Is that true? (I'm not up for a new car for about a year...I want a TT quattro!!

Jay
    Beginning in Sept of 2002 as 2003 models this will be the lineup for the TT:

180TT Coupe Fwd Tip ONLY
    180TT Roadster Fwd Tip ONLY
    225TT Coupe 6spd quattro
    225TT Roadster 6spd quattro

This was stated by Audi of America at TT-East Saturday night at approximately 6:30pm EST at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Asheville, NC.

Interesting.....
    Tip refers to a Tiptronic *automatic* transmission on the 180 size engine - no option for manual aparently. 225's to have a 6 speed manual transmission.

Bruce
  • I am new to this discussion, so please forgive me if you've already covered my two questions. (And if you have, please let me know where!)
    1) We want to fit two small suitcases in the trunk of our 225 hp. TT convertible (which has a smaller trunk than the 180 hp.) Can anyone recommend specific kinds of luggage that fit nicely?
    2) Has anyone got a good source for extra CD changer magazines? Or does anyone know the brand and part #? My dealer said they're made by Panasonic, but I can't figure this out for sure.
    Thanks!
  • jnijankinjnijankin Posts: 21
    Hello everyone -

Can anyone provide me some good feedback on any good lease deals they received or have heard about for a 225 TT in FL. I am considering leasing one and wanted to know the best deal for one. Considering a 225 TT with leather and audio package, 17 wheels and probably 15000 a year.
    Thank for your input !
    B' regards,
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Why in the heck is Audi dropping that option?? Isn't the TT supposed to be their sporty convertible? I think its a very stupid decision on their part. The TT will no longer be able to compete fully with the Boxster, SLK, and Z3. All those convertibles offer a stick with their base engines! Shame on Audi.
  • motokichimotokichi Posts: 48
    hi folks,

i'm shopping for a used car, and the TT is one of my candidates. I have some reservations i hope you can clear up.

1) Having never owned a turbo car before, how do they hold up on short (10mile) commutes?

2) Does the car work as a trip car (200+mi)? how do you feel after a long trip?

thanks for your input.

k
    Here's a link to audiusa site for the CD Magazine. Due to limits in this site I broke up the link after ".asp" - just remove the space in the link.

Bruce

http://collection.audiusa.com/store/subcategory.asp ?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=11&category%5Fid=53&subcategory%5Fid=236