Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi TT

Comments

• brucewgbrucewg Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2002 coupe, 180FWD, so you'll know in advance where I'm coming from. I was looking for a comfortable car that I would enjoy driving, not necessarily the "ultimate" sports car, and the TT fits my expectations very nicely. From my research I would say that the majority of issues with the TT were on the 2000's, some on the 2001's, and the 2002's have been very reliable. My initial (two week old) experience has been fine - a minor issue with the CD changer is my only issue to date.

The trunk of the coupe is quite good for a sports car.

You absolutely cannot find a car near this price range with the interior style of the TT. If that aspect is high on your list it's in a class by itself, and it should continue to delight for the lifetime of the car.

The Audi dealer/service experience is mixed. If you can find a dealer/service department you are pleased with stick with them, and they do exist, but just not in the vast majority. A few are really bad from what I've researched, a few are outstanding, most are about average at best.

Right now is a great time buy in my opinion - many local (SF Bay Area) dealers seem to have lots of TT's on the lot, sales are slow, and deals can be found. You should be able to get your TT for invoice (*not* MSRP) plus $500 - $800 (plus tax and license).

The car just plain feels good, tight, a of high quality - I've not experienced any rattles, etc.

Bruce
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 772
    I compared virtually every mid-priced sports car before I bought my TT. I came up with five finalists: Audi TT Roadster, BMW M Roadster, Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster S, and Corvette.

BMW M Roadster: a great performer, but the interior was too cramped. It was the only car that I couldn't drive in the rain without getting a wet elbow.

Porsche Boxster S: I loved this car! If it had been $10k cheaper and the maintenance costs weren't insane, I would have bought one in a heartbeat! Porsche should stop charging extra for items that are standard on every competitor.

Corvette convertible: best performer by a wide margin, but the dashboard looked too cheap. It even had the same radio as my 02 Tahoe (not to mention my old 97 Z28). I've always wanted a Vette, but just couldn't pull the trigger when I finally was in a position to buy one. I'll wait for the C6...

Honda S2000: this car rocked! Great handling, brakes, and acceleration. However, when driven at high rpm (the ONLY way to drive it) the engine noise was almost unbearable. "Cacophony" is the word that comes to mind. If the sound were more like the Boxster, the Porsche never would have entered my mind. A great third car, but I just couldn't live with it as my daily driver.

Audi TT: the poorest performer of the finalists--heaviest, least powerful, most body roll. Even with the stage 1 mod, my TT can't run with the others. However, the nicest interior, Quattro grip, free maintenance, best warranty and unique styling put it over the top for me. I've had the car for 15 months and haven't had any problems (or regrets for that matter). If ultimate performance isn't your #1 priority, then the TT is worth considering.

Good luck with your decision...
  • I have heard of the 03TT having an auto box as option. This is sooo wrong! The TT is Audi's only sports car. A true sports car needs to stay with manual. (though even the Boxster offers the tiptronic system)
    And will the next gen. TT have less body roll to compete with the Z4, Boxster, and S 2000?
    TTs Rule!
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    A common problem with the 225 TT roadsters, and probably with the other TT's as well, is the instrument cluster failing. Not the entire cluster, but one little gauge not working constitutes a new cluster. It's also common in the new A4's as well. I had mine replaced at 5k miles on my 02 TT 225 roadster b/c of the fuel gauge not working. Dealer said it's been a common problem. The car is extremely tight around corners (not as tight as an S2k) with the Quattro and the brakes are incredible, on par with the boxster and s2k. You must be careful how hard you brake though b/c some idiot drivers like to ride your tail and they'll end up in your trunk if you brake too hard. I had to pull over into a grass median to avoid someone skidding into me. No complaints here though.

Leon
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Isn't the Porsche 911 available with an automatic transmission?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,546
    unfortunately, yes!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Unfortunate indeed - help me out over at the SL500 forum!!
    we usually see eye to eye on things being stick shift fans and honda owners, but you're on your own over in the SL500 forum...lol I'll come check it out, but I have to warn you, I think the SL500 is so beautiful (as are most Mercedes) that I would buy that car with the 2.3L Kompressor 4cyl:) besides...whatever manual transmission MB comes up with isn't going to do the rest of the car justice:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I agree on the SL500 and wasn't suggesting it isn't a great car, automatic transmission and all. The SL forum got into a side debate on how you would spend $250k to fill your garage. "merc1" responded with the SL55, S55 and BMW M3 with SMG. I just let the idea of three automatic transmissions get to me, I guess. At least he could have picked the M3 as a 6-speed and given his left foot something to do on occassion!

Thanks for your moral support though. I'd hate to see all manual transmissions eliminated by European makers who look down on us Americans as too wimpy or ignorant to appreciate "driving" a car.

If you think we're "fanatics", you should hear one of my neighbors, "Manfred" who is a Daimler Chrysler exec transplanted from Germany. He drives a vintage 350 SL w/ 4-speed and claims that it's all the fault of "you Americans" that he can't get a stick in the current crop of higher end Mercedes offerings.

P.S. Sorry to muck up the TT forum with this digression; it's now out of my system.
    but I gave a somewhat candid response on the SL500 board. Watch out for those OT side debates...the hosts get pretty ticked off when those happen, so I decided not to get into it. I agree with you though that if you're somewhat of a "car guy" you've got to want at least 1 car in your dream garage have a stick shift.

The numbers don't lie though, especially in the high end market. 3 out of 4 Ferrari 575 Maranellos will roll off the factory with this type of transmission. The 12 Cylinder Aston Martin Vanquish comes equipped only with this type of transmission. Transmissions like the SMG (that have an electronic clutch, not an auto w/ torque converter) shift quicker than even the mosty highly skilled race car driver (and certainly quicker than you or I) provide the speed and control of a stick shift with the ease of an automatic when needed. They even blip the throtte on downshifts for you for christs' sake.

I agree that even though it does things better that it will never provide the feel and fun to drive factor of a manual transmission.

Back to the topic at hand though...The Audi TT. I rarely see a Black one cruising around, and there's one in my parents' neighborhood. The black is very sleek, sexy, and super stealthy.

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    As anyone thought of trying the Dieselgeek (www.dieselgeek.com) "race" short shift kit?

I figured if the TT linkage works on the A4 Golf/Jetta/New Beetle (which the TT is on the A4 platform)....the opposite should be true.
    From what I've read (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the TT Quattro uses the Haldex 4WD system as opposed to Audi's Quattro. What are the differences? Thanks!

• I talked to several Audi dealerships, and it sounds like 2003s will come with automatic as an option. They gave me different dates for when the cars will hit the lots though: ranging from October to February. One dealer told me that auto will only come with the 180/nonQuatro model. Interestingly, he quoted $42K as the price for the car, which sounds odd since the comparably equipped manual TT is only around $33K.

Does anyone else have other info?
    On my way back to my girlfriend's house on Saturday night from the METS game (yes I know admitting the problem is the first step) I was following a beautiful Black TT (225hp) coupe. The TT in Black and at night was a wonderful combination. Stealthy but sporty. I really made me think twice about owning another black car. I love the thick, 5 spoke 17" wheels, flowing lines, and 2 exhaust pipes sticking out from under the rear bumper.

Sunday afternoon a saw an Amulet Red TT Coupe and it too was striking. Red is a very rare color 'round these parts, especially for German cars. It looked good.

I just wish there was some way for Audi to put a sunroof (I know it seems like a ridiculous notion on a car with such a small roof) on the TT coupe. Most of you are saying, ok then put the TT Roadster on your wishlist then. I like the looks of the coupe so much more, and the TT Roadster (with Quattro) is out of my pricerange for now. I love sunroofs though. I always drive with mine open unless it is raining or cloudy. That's just me though.

I know this is off the subject, but I'm a NY fan too. My cars both have custom Hawaii license plates:

2002 Chevy Tahoe: "METS"
    2001 TT Roadster: "JETS"

I took my "KNICKS" plate off of my 99 Catera before I returned that hunk of junk to the dealer when the lease expired. I'll have to buy another car so that I can use the plates again. I tried to get "Rangers" plates, but you can only get 6 letters--maybe the next state I move to can do better. (Please, no remarks about becoming a Devils fan).

By the way, I looked at the black TT when I bought mine, but opted for the Nimbus Gray Pearl with the amber "Baseball" leather. You should think about the roadster if you like sunroofs so much. I've owned several convertibles and in my opinion, the TT has the best year-round convertible top available.
    As far as Sports go, it seems we see eye to eye on 3 out of 4 teams, take a guess which one. I'm a Giants fan! I LOVE THE RANGERS!

Back to the TT though. Nimbus Gray Pearl is also a gorgeous color, especially with the Baseball glove leather. I won't be in the market for a new car for a while as I recently purchased a leftover 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH at the end of April which I hope to keep for a long time.

One of the reasons I am considering the TT (hopefully they'll still make 'em 7 years down the road) is because of Quattro (My Mom's A6 3.0 has it and I love how it pulls you around turns) ,the turbocharged engine (My 2000 Saab 9-3 is turbocharged and I love when the Turbo kicks in), and of course the sheer beauty of the car! Every time I see a TT, it still turns my head.

Speaking of convertibles, how is the rear visibility with the top up on the TT Roadster?

The rear visibility isn't great, but it's about the same as other convertibles I've driven. However, I live in Hawaii, so I almost never drive with the top up anyway.

Quattro was a major factor in my purchase decision as well. Wet or dry, it makes a huge difference in handling. If I lived in the northeast, I wouldn't own a car without it.

2003 should be a great year for NY sports! I'll be making my reservations for the playoffs soon.
  • krg3krg3 Posts: 1
    I'd be grateful for any suggestions to this: I bought a new 2001 TT Roadster earlier this year. It has the upgraded Bose system, with a 6-disc changer, and a casette in the dash radio. I've been told by Audi (dealers and Audi cust service) that I can't replace the radio with a CD in the dash without screwing up the Bose system.

Do any of you know of a way to replace the radio only (w/a CD player) in this model? They say the 2002 in-dash radio (w/CD) is not compatible with the 2001 model. Again, I appreciate any help! Thanks!
  • whothemanwhotheman Posts: 169
    1. M3, Stick
    2. Lexus SC430
    3. Escalade
    4. Altima 3.5, Stick
    5. $3k 1994 Mazda MX-6 LS with Leather, stick
    6. 2003 Honda S2000
    7. Put a down payment on the insurance!
  • I just bought a 2001 TT Quattro. I have a few questions (i'll post the name of the dealer and the price when i resolve these questions) to ask. My luggage compartment cover makes A LOT of noise. It's not the fastners, it's the cover itself (cheap plastic on a 30k car?). Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking of requesting a new one (which I'm not paying for). I've also got a question about the interior motion detector. I can only activate/de-activate the motion detector when the driver-side door is open. Is this normal? Thanks.
    Congratulations on getting your TT! I can't help with the rattle because I have a roadster, but my alarm switch seems to work whether the door is open or not. I don't remember anything in the owner's manual stating that the door must be open either.
  • Regarding my previous post. The interior motion detector is only supposed to be activated/de-activated as you're exiting the car (i.e. door open). This makes sense now since you wouldn't want to lock yourself in the car with the motion detector on (this wasn't clearly outlined in the manual, but it is common sense I suppose). Regarding the noise... I'm having the dealer either repair or replace the luggage compartment cover since it's covered under warranty (no other interior noises found as of yet). The dealer is also super-cleaning or replacing the floormats (the driver side is a little worn). So it might be premature, but I'm willing to give the dealership good marks all around (I'll update as time goes by... I find message boards like these invaluable for dealer information).

Dealership: Criswell Audi (MD)
    Car Purchased: 2001 Audi TT Coupe Quattro(AWD) 180 HP
    Black Ext/Grey Int
    17.5k miles
    Premium Sound (Bose/6-Disc Changer)
    Sports Package (Rims, Tires, Xenon Lights, etc.)
    Heated Seats
    Audi Assured (100,000 miles)

Price with tax, tags and all that other good stuff: $31849.00

I've been pleased with my sales person so far, and the rest of the dealership employees. Responsive to questions and requests. Hope this info is useful to someone interested in purchasing an Audi (thought about leasing, but if you can handle a decent down payment, get a good APR from your bank/credit union, you're better off buying the car).
  • brucewgbrucewg Posts: 5
    If you go to the AudiWorld TT forum (www.audiworld.com, and navigate to the TT forum), then search on "privacy" you'll see many posts about problems withe the privacy shield. Many have been replaced by dealers, but it hasn't always resolved the problem.

I have a new 2002 coupe, and so far, no problems.

Bruce
    Congrats on your new (errrrrrrrrrrrrrr used) TT! Put that 100,000 mile Audi Assured warranty to good use and drive it! Good luck!

• I would like to know how the Audi TT handles in the winter, in snowy conditions. I was going to purchase an SLK 230, but because I plan on driving it in the winter,I was afraid it wouldn't handle very well on the ice and snow. I was able to test drive an Audi TT, 225 hp. convertible the other day, and really enjoyed it. So far it looks the SLK is coming in 2nd place.
  • ugly1ugly1 Posts: 52
    I live in the Cleveland area so our winters aren't so severe but occasionally I have to drive on the white stuff. I run on a set of Blizzak MZ-01's and I usually find myself passing all the SUV's. I don't know if there being more cautious or I'm just being stupid. I've never had the car slip on me at speed but then again I've never had to hit the brakes hard. I have practiced moderately hard braking on the snow (on wide roads with no side ditches or traffic around) and found that the car tracks pretty straight. The brakes clatter quite a bit but it brakes pretty good. I figure I'd be screwed if I encountered some ice so I don't do that very often. I've only broken the wheels loose once. I was turning left from a stop going slightly uphill and probably shouldn't of given it so much gas. I turned in the opposite direction while backing off the gas and it straightened right out. I read in one of the Audi magazines where they were interviewing one of their executives. They asked him about sports or something like that and he said he had taken up a new winter sport. Driving his TT in the snow. Have fun with whatever you decide. All I can say is this is going to be my third winter in the TT and I'm not dreading it one bit. Oh yeah, the cars a 225.
  • lar60lar60 Posts: 10
    I just traded my 2001 TT for an A6, but had much experience with the hatchback rattle. It sounds like it is coming from the "cheap" privacy guard, but have your dealer replace the clips that secure the hatchback trim to the frame. It is most likely these clips that get loose and creates the rattle you're hearing, not the privacy part. It took me about 6 visits and persistency in getting this fixed. The dealer will have to special order the clips and then you will have to return for the install. If you don't fix this it will only get worse. I loved the TT, but this is a fairly common problem, I even read about it in a review on the car before I bought it.
  • My 2001 TT roadster came equipped with Pirelli high perf. tires. Dealer said they only last 25k.
    Anyone have different mileage results?

Also, very few problems with the car....a TT is a rare sight in St. Louis, so if you're thinking about unique style, buy the car no one else drives.
    You didn't say whether you have the FWD 180hp w/ 16" 50 series or the AWD 225 hp w/ 17" 45 series tires.

However, 25k miles is probably a conservative estimate for the 16", a little optomistic for the 17". At least your tires are the same size and can be rotated front to rear. My neighbor has a 225 Quatro Coupe and they just replaced their tires at 22,000 miles. I have a Honda S2000 which uses W-rated Potenza S02's and different sizes front and rear. They cannot be rotated and I was told to only expect 12k - 15k miles out of them. I had the 7,500 mile service done a couple of weeks age, and the dealer estimated I still had 80% of the useful life left. Apparantly, I drive conservatively.