Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi TT

Comments

• bruce_wgbruce_wg Posts: 4
    I'm looking at the 180FT, Denim Blue, with Bose & Prem. Pack. I think I can swing it for list plus about $1,000, or $32,250 plus tax (8.25%) and license fees (2 1/1% or so). It will take a little more work (currently at about $32,800), but I think I'll get it down close the that. MSRP is $34,645.

I'm wavering a bit because the dealer (who would like to see off the lot of course) has a silver/ebony roadster with a power top and the same packages that he's making a better offer on to move.

I really like the look of the coup in blue, and I'm not really a ragtop lover, but I'm considering it. I'll post the results by the end of the month.

Bruce
  • gangeltgangelt Posts: 11
    Wish all our choices were this fun. Good luck and post what happens.

Glen
  • brucewgbrucewg Posts: 5
    If the dealer can change a production order it will be May-built and June delivery. If not, June-built and July delivery.

I got the price I wanted, as posted above. If anyone is in the San Jose, CA area I can highly recomend the sales experience at Stevens Creek Audi. Very professional.

Bruce
  • I bought a 225 TT roadster in Jan, nice car, fine, fun even, but not enough power for me... Yeah I know, I can get the chip, and If it wasnt under warranty i would, its been to the shop twice already sense january, minor things, but things I woudl have had to pay for out of warranty, a few hundred here, a few hundred there... Anyway, the other car I considered before the TT was the m3 convert, thought I could save $15k and have agood time with Audi. Now my quesiton is, if I change my mind and go looking for a replacement, has anyone with Audi 225 driving experince out there driven either the M3 2001 or 2002 (333hp, not old 265 or whatever) and/or the SLK32 AMG? (again newer version with 349hp and hardtop.)

-thanks/Bill/Vegas
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I bought an S2000 in November of last year but, at the time, was on the wait list for both an M3 and a C32. I haven't personally driven an SLK32, but a friend has and shared his opinions with me.

To me, the biggest difference between the M3 and any AMG product - C, SLK, E, CLK - is the tighter, more precise handling and availablity of a 6-speed manual. When I got the chance to drive a C32, I was initially infatuated with the power - it has a significant torque advantage over the M3 - but that infatuation quickly wore off and I soon missed rowing my own in the twisties. The C32/SLK32 have one of the best "auto manuals" on the market, but it just wasn't the same driving experience. As evidenced by my desision to get an S2000, I'd rather trade torque for the ability to row my own and wind out an engine to 7,500+ rpm if and when I need to.

As for handling, I really appreciate tight, crisp handling that feels responsive and not overly heavy. To that extent, even the M3 is a very slight step down from an S2000. But the C32 was a huge step down and my buddy who drove the SLK32 was equally unimpressed with it. The SLK is due for a complete redesign, so perhaps Mercedes can cure this, but as of late the AMG engineers seem more consumed by horsepower than handling.

So, either the M3 or SLK32 will amply cure your need for much more power. I like the way the M3 delivers it and I like the BMW handling heads and shoulders above the Mercedes. Even though the M3 is a coupe, it is more of a sports car in my book than the SLK32.
  • jborden1jborden1 Posts: 12
    I've been reading the posts and thought I would add some input. My best freind has a M5, S500, and M3. He just recenlty took me on a ride in their M5, and boy is that the best car known to man. He got it up to 90MPH within a few seconds in town and slammed on the brakes. It was just amazing, I have a new found respect for BMW. But I also think the audi tt is such a great piece of architecture and design. So dollar for dollar, audi wins hands down, but if money doesn't count get and M5!!!!!!
  • I don't own a TT, but my brother did until very recently. It was Denim Blue w/black interior. He loved this car. When he bought it, I thought it was one of the coolest cars I had ever seen. I had TT envy. He just sold it because he needed a more practical car to pull behind his motor home and haul kids in. He is still depressed about having to sell his TT. He always told me that the TT was the most reliable, funnest car he has ever owned. If I had the funds, I would purchase one of these little fun cars. For everyone that owns one of these cars, I am extremely jealous. For now, I am buzzing around in my Miata (another fun car).
  • porzioporzio Posts: 2
    I'm looking at the alms edition - not much price reduction from msrp - can't decide if it's worth it but if I wait there may not be any available - any input?
  • ugly1ugly1 Posts: 52
    18" rims w/40 series tires, a near one of a kind paint job w/ a totally different interior for only another 3.5k. What was the question again?
    MSRP or really close to it seems to be the case all over the country - in some places dealers are starting $4K over MSRP. Supply and demand...only 1,000 for sale.

Good luck!

Bruce
  • porzioporzio Posts: 2
    Thanks guys, I was just getting nervous - I heard that there is a good chance that they possibly won't be continuing the line after '04 - so I didn't know if the resale would be good - but what the heck I love the car.
  • music287music287 Posts: 116
    Somewhere I read that Audi is considering discontinuing the TT. Is that true? (I'm not up for a new car for about a year...I want a TT quattro!!

Jay
    Beginning in Sept of 2002 as 2003 models this will be the lineup for the TT:

180TT Coupe Fwd Tip ONLY
    180TT Roadster Fwd Tip ONLY
    225TT Coupe 6spd quattro
    225TT Roadster 6spd quattro

This was stated by Audi of America at TT-East Saturday night at approximately 6:30pm EST at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Asheville, NC.

Interesting.....
    Tip refers to a Tiptronic *automatic* transmission on the 180 size engine - no option for manual aparently. 225's to have a 6 speed manual transmission.

Bruce
  • I am new to this discussion, so please forgive me if you've already covered my two questions. (And if you have, please let me know where!)
    1) We want to fit two small suitcases in the trunk of our 225 hp. TT convertible (which has a smaller trunk than the 180 hp.) Can anyone recommend specific kinds of luggage that fit nicely?
    2) Has anyone got a good source for extra CD changer magazines? Or does anyone know the brand and part #? My dealer said they're made by Panasonic, but I can't figure this out for sure.
    Thanks!
  • jnijankinjnijankin Posts: 21
    Hello everyone -

Can anyone provide me some good feedback on any good lease deals they received or have heard about for a 225 TT in FL. I am considering leasing one and wanted to know the best deal for one. Considering a 225 TT with leather and audio package, 17 wheels and probably 15000 a year.
    Thank for your input !
    B' regards,
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Why in the heck is Audi dropping that option?? Isn't the TT supposed to be their sporty convertible? I think its a very stupid decision on their part. The TT will no longer be able to compete fully with the Boxster, SLK, and Z3. All those convertibles offer a stick with their base engines! Shame on Audi.
  • motokichimotokichi Posts: 48
    hi folks,

i'm shopping for a used car, and the TT is one of my candidates. I have some reservations i hope you can clear up.

1) Having never owned a turbo car before, how do they hold up on short (10mile) commutes?

2) Does the car work as a trip car (200+mi)? how do you feel after a long trip?

thanks for your input.

k
    Here's a link to audiusa site for the CD Magazine. Due to limits in this site I broke up the link after ".asp" - just remove the space in the link.

Bruce

http://collection.audiusa.com/store/subcategory.asp ?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=11&category%5Fid=53&subcategory%5Fid=236

• thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I have a turbo car from the same family and never had any trouble, if you want to feel extra secure use syntec oil during the hot season.
    A 180TT WITH a manual transmission does not compete with a Boxster, Z3 or S2000. Even the 225hp version doesn't.

While I am a strong advocate of manual transmissions, the direction Audi has taken with the TT isn't that of a sports car. To that extent, their decision to drop the manual, while regretable, may not be as surprising.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I beg to differ. What do you think the TT's competition is then? It's in the same price class as the SLK and Z3 and all 3 are 2 seat luxury/sport convertibles. Yes, the front wheel drive limits its handling some, but it's still by no means a roomy luxury cruiser. And now that Audi will be selling an A4 convertible, the TT will obviously become the "sporty" convertible. If I were to buy a TT, it would be the front wheel drive 5 speed 180TT roadster. I live in Florida where I have no need for AWD and I feel 225 horses is more than I really need and I wouldn't like the increased boost lag with the bigger turbo. Audi, please reconsider your decision!
    I guess I would say that probably the closest competitors to the Audi is the SLK on the more expensive side and the Miata on the less expensive side. Perhaps even the Z3 2.5 and the CLK320 Cabrio, albeit not a two seater. These are the cars that I am guessing most people would cross shop with the TT as very attractive, but not high performance oriented, convertibles.

On the other hand, the Boxster/S, S2000 and M Roadster fall into the high performance sports car category. I doubt they get cross shopped with the Audi TT very often, but perhaps I am wrong.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    For what it's worth, I seriously cross-shopped the hardtop TT against a Prelude about three years ago. The coupe and Prelude were actually within spitting distance of each other in terms of size, room, style, etc.

I also know one person who has seriously cross-shopped a new 225hp quattro ragtop against a used base Boxster.
  • ugly1ugly1 Posts: 52
    If there is such a catagory as high performance sports cars I doubt one would put the Boxster/S, the S2000 or the M roadster in that catagory. I think such a catagory would be made up of Vipers, Ferrari's and the like. To seperate the 225hp TT from a Boxster/S or S2000 into two seperate catagories by a mere 25 and 15 hp is a mistake. And if you look at the torque values and the rpm that they're developed at then that would be even a larger error. One needs to define high performance before mistakenly catagorizing cars. Just my thoughts.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I think the separation has more to do with suspension than engine.
  • cool_handcool_hand Posts: 4
    I just went saturday for a test drive and some lease prices. I got a price for leasing a fully loaded, $42,000+ 225, 20,000 miles/yr, 39 month lease, with only $1,000 out of pocket. They told me $590/month. I'll be doing some more shopping before I make a decision. I'm thinking of waiting for the 2003, so I can get a tip. I always burn out the clutch on manuals and this one might be quite costly. btw, my pricing was in New Jersey.
  • plm1plm1 Posts: 1
    I'm purchasing a 2000 Audi TT quatro 180 with 44000 miles. I'm not sure about the high miles. Will the engine endure for another 150,000 miles. What can you expect? Will the TT's last as long as the old VW's and Porsche's? Please help.
    You're both right. I meant to label the Boxter S, S2000 and M-Roadster as "high-performance roadsters". Their acceleration and handling abilities are what I was considering, not the actual horsepower or torque ratings. And yes, although they are not capable of competing with the acceleration of a Ferrari 360 Spider, they are considerably quicker than a TT, and the Boxster S and S2000 can match the Ferrari's slalom speeds.

Since my last post, I checked with a couple of folks who own TT's - two neighbors and a business associate. Interesting that both Roadster buyers (225 versions) cross shopped the CLK convertible and the SLK. When I asked about the Boxster or S2000, they responded "no", they weren't really looking at pure sports cars. As for the 180 coupe buyer, she actually traded a Honda Prelude and her other choices were an Accord Coupe or Audi A4, but decided she wanted a "sportier" looking car. I acknowledge that these three anecdotes hardly make a scientific study, but they do begin to confirm my gut feelings. I would be interested to see an actual survey of buyers of other cars to see what else they shopped. As a new owner of an M5, I would have thought it's biggest competition was an E55, but according to my dealer, it is 911. Go figure.