Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Can You Tow It Behind a Motorhome? - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Jeep
imageCan You Tow It Behind a Motorhome? - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Can you tow a 2014 Jeep Cherokee behind a motorhome? Yes, but only if you buy specific 4x4 equipment.

Read the full story here

Comments

• red_xj2000red_xj2000 Member Posts: 13

948TE refers to the transmission, not the code name for Active Drive II. 9 speeds, maximum torque rating of 480 Nm, Transversely mounted, Electronically controlled. Hence the name 948TE.

• bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

im so used to edmunds reviewing fully loaded vehicles im actually suprised that this cherokee is missing a feature. please take this cherokee off-road i would like to see an analysis on if the active drive 2 is "worth it" and see what edmund's take on it versus the competition considering nothing else in its class has a low range and the cherokee has it as an option. Also in general i would like to see more reviews of more basic trim level vehicles i know that you like reviewing the infotainment systems and other stuff long term but there is a huge portion of shoppers who do not buy that stuff and go for the more bare bones vehicles and it would be nice to see apples to apples tests without having to go sit in and test drive them all yourself.

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

I've just never liked the idea of dinghy towing. Sure, I see the appeal, but I wouldn't do it if I had a Class A motorhome. I'd buy a tiny car like a Scion iQ and get a custom tiny trailer for it.

• miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114

We've had two motorhomes, dingy towed with both of them (first a Suzuki X7, then a Chevy Tahoe). Only disadvantage to dinghy towing is you can't reverse with the toad (get it...towed?) attached. So you gotta be careful never to get into a position where you need to back up. You get really fast at attaching the toad. Drive up to the RV, attach the towbars and the wires for the brake system and lights and you're ready to roll in no time.

Problem with a trailer is that many campsites are too small to keep the trailer attached so you have to take it off and find a place to store it. Not always easy. Maybe a super small trailer would be easier, but most trailers are pretty big.

• chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35

Information on recreation towing for your Jeep Cherokee can be found in the Owners Manual on page 543.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC

• actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited August 2014

@red_xj2000 said:
    948TE refers to the transmission, not the code name for Active Drive II. 9 speeds, maximum torque rating of 480 Nm, Transversely mounted, Electronically controlled. Hence the name 948TE.

I was under the impression that it's a version of the 9-speed with an Electronically controlled Transfer case grafted on. Thanks for the clarification. I'll find and substitute the correct code.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

Slightly off topic question but does the Cherokee come with at least a Limited Slip Differential of some sort or is it a full open diff unless you get the trail hawk?

• actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451

The code for Active Drive II, the version with the low range transfer case, is DFJ. The base Active Drive I system is coded DFH. So the Dinghy towing crowd will want to add the DFJ option to a Latitude or Limited 4x4 to get the 2-speed transfer case with the neutral towing position.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• flahoosierflahoosier Member Posts: 1
    Does the radio stay on when 4 down.