Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

anselmo1anselmo1 Posts: 163
To date, the Honda Accord is the number #1 sedan sold in the United States for 2001. The majority of the Accords are produced in Ohio with a few being exported from Japan. Has the quality control of the Accord gone down hill in the last 3 years since the inception of the 6th generation model? There seems to be various issues debated regarding the quality of workmanship of the I-4 and V-6 Accords produced in the United States. Some of the issues I have been reading at Edmunds.com are transmission problems with the V-6 Accord, balancer shaft seal problems with all Accords, front brake and rotor problems, fuel sending unit problems as well as paint and finish flaws. Is it me or are there more quality problems developing in the US built Accords? There seems to be a host of problems listed on the Maintenance and Repair section of Edmunds. Comments please!

Comments

• firstnamefirstname Posts: 45
    Well, recently I sold my 99 Accord EX Coupe because it had such an annoying clutch problem. The dealer Service Manager test-drove it and could not disagree, but he could only offer a fix if it finally BROKE DOWN on me (under warranty). It had one of those "intermittent" roughness problems that was especially annoying. I had suspected a clutch plate improperly mounted. It drove like the mounting bolt heads were grinding against the clutch plate material.

Anyway, my biggest complaint about Honda's is that they never mastered the transmission -- automatic or manual.
  • Honda has slipped a lot quality wise. All you have to do is look at this board that lists all the problems with Honda products. I can no longer name any car manufacturer that has an outstanding automobile.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,355
    Forget the fact (if you can) that I sell Hondas.

The "problems" mentioned here have been greatly overblown.

Any car can and will have an ocassional problem. Since Hondas are so reliable, when something DOES happen it gets front page news.

They are better than ever!
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Posts: 163
    I would say that Honda's reliability has fallen off dramatically since the inception of the V-6 Accord in 1998 in its 6th Generation model. NHSTA has a listing of all the transmission problems in the V-6 Accord. A bad supplier was blamed for the initial problem but why are the problems continuing?Since you sell Hondas, your bias is quite evident. Don't get me wrong, I own a 5th Generation Accord which I like a lot.Let's just say, that Hondas of today are not like Hondas back 5 to 6 years ago.
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    In the recent JD Powers survey the Acura TL was near the top on the list with 76 defects. The Accord had 109 and the Acura CL 152. Why would there be such a difference? All three are made at the same factory with many shared mechanicals. Do they put away the quality checks when the Accord (though 109 is still pretty good) and the CL are being built? Someone once mentioned stricter quality for Acura, so how does that explain the CL having twice the defects of the TL?

FWIW my own experience with an '89 Accord has been quite satisfying. It was built in Japan. For the short time I had an Ohio made '01 Accord there weren't any major initial issues. I have to agree with Isell, I think Honda has such a good reputation that anything bad is magnified.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Not to be too nitpicky, but a V-6 Accord has been available since '95.
    I was talking about the 6th Generation Accords (!998-2001) in particular regarding the problems. I am aware that the first V-6 Accord was produced in 1995. Strange that it did not have the same type of transmission problems as the 6th generation Accord V-6's? What could be so different?
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    I dunno. I drive manual trannies exclusively. :-)
    First I ever heard of this was right here, in Town Hall. I'll repeat, this was very much overblown.

A supplier, unbeknownst to Honda decided to change specs on some part in the V-6 transmissions. This would cause a loud "clunk" while backing up. It did not cause total failure.

Honda was blindslided by this.

And, few cars were affected. To this day, I have NEVER heard this clunk and I've backed up literally hundreds of them.

The problem cars were fixed under warranty, case closed.

If anselmo wants to think Hondas aren't as good as before, I'll respect his opinion even though I totally disagree.
    It just wasn't a few units on the V-6 transmission. I know for a fact that one man has had his replaced on his 1998 Accord V-6 as well as his 2001 Accord V-6. The problem with V-6 transmissions is continuous. The Honda-Acura. Net board has numerous postings regarding this problem. http://www.Honda-Acura.net Thank you for respecting my opinion but it is an ongoing problem along with the fuel sending unit and balancer shaft seal defects just to name a few examples.
  • pblevinepblevine Posts: 858
    I sort of have to agree with isellhondas on this one. I've seen the complaints on Honda-Acura.Net and they are real. But they are rare. I've got a '98 Accord Coupe (EX V6) and have not had that problem. The only problem I've had concerned the Fuel Sending Unit. It worked but just was not accurate. But Honda replaced on a recall and it has been fine since then. Anyway, most of these problems have been rare, but it does seem that as time goes on, more and more such problems are being reported. Could it be that quality has been going downhill since '98?
    All cars will have problems. Hondas have so few that when something does go wrong people, like yourself, tend to make a BIG deal over it.

I'm not trying to make light of this, but, let's think about it.

Fuel sending problems...well, big deal! Fixed under warranty. Another problems I've only heard about in these forums.

Balancer shaft seal? Yep, honda discovered that this seal *can* fail (it rarely does) on I think 1994-1997 Accords so on their own, they offer an update seal kit at NO CHARGE to the owners of these cars.

Problems....? Yeah, you bet!

Find something with fewer problems!
    It's true. Misery DOES love company. I've watched these posts talking about things like gas guage problems and I see the responses...

" Gee...now that you mention it, I think my gas guage may be off too" or " I better go back up 50 times to see if I have that terrible clunk"

Just human nature I guess...
    Your right, it seems there is a lot of misery with 6th Generation V-6 Accords. As far as the balancer shaft seal blowing, it is a major design flaw that took numerous complaints to NHSTA to resolve by Honda. Your V-6 automatic transmission will be next. The fuel sending unit has puzzled Honda engineers for 6 years now as well as their supplier. Don't get me wrong, I own an Accord but I think the 6th Generation Accords have far many more problems than any previous generation.
    Yep. all of these "problems" that some folks seem to delight in telling and retelling...

The gas guage one is the one that puzzles me the most. I have NEVER heard of this except for right here, in these forums.

A "lot of misery" ? Amazing!
  • I have had my fuel sending unit replaced twice on my Accord. Maybe you should confer with your service manager at your dealership isellhondas. He can probably fill you in on a lot of problems that as salesman you are unaware of.
  • phelpsgphelpsg Posts: 15
    I bought my 1st Accord about a month ago because of the reputation for quality. I've always owned GM so I thought this would be a step up. It's still too early to say it's not, but my Accord has a wind noise that's been driving me crazy at highway speeds. I found out that there is a TSB about the problem which apparently is due to a faulty windshield seal so it's going back to the dealer for repair. This seems like a basic quality control issue if you ask me.
    Oh, I'm sure the fuel guage problems exist. It's just that I'll usually hear it when problems pop up and this is one that's news to me.

Somehow, I don't think it's that widespread. Of course when it hits home, it's a REAL problem!
    Everyone knows about Accord's fuel sending unit problems isellhondas. As a salesman, I guess I wouldn't tell my customers that Honda Accord's have fuel sending unit problems while trying to close on a sale. The Balancer Shaft Seal is a major problem as well as dangerous.You watch the little oil light on your dash keep blinking and blinking and whamo, in the matter of no time you have a seized engine. This problem is well documented at the NHSTA's website. Maybe sometime you should pay a visit there and note all the Accord problems.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    I too have the funny gas gauge. After 30 miles 3/4 tank. 140 miles 1/2 tank. Then normal. Got the extended Honda warranty for 925, bumper to bumper, not worried, for now. Still, IMHO, Honda ain't all that.