Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz G-class (Geländewagen)

Comments

• bwhbwh Member Posts: 76
    Funny, I didn't have to fit any parts to my Gwagen to conquer the Moab Rim trail. Good luck on that one with your Disco, HA! Sure you could make it if you fitted lockers, until the wimpy hubs, axles and diffs in the Rover explode like the Lucas electrics, HA! Frame and suspension not as heavy as the Disco, check again after your LSD wears off, HA! Fact is the Gwagen frame material is nearly twice as thick as that used by Rover. Did you notice the tubular crossmember tubes that pass through the frame rails and are welded inside and out? I bet ONE of my forged steel trailing arms wieghs as much as all four of yours. Equal approach angle in back, HA! you must be kidding, Rovers are butt dragers by any standard. Better breakover, not likely, besides when mine hits bottom it is all frame, yours removes the transfer case LOL. To even mention a CJ is absurd, ask a CJ owner that really off-roads how many times his frame has had to welded. It will probably have more repair welds than the factory used to assemble the heep, I meant Jeep, sorry. The Gwagen has no equal, but nice try.
  • nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    We got BWH stirred up now! Yahoo! Better do some more crawling around under a Rover, my friend. You're wrong on every count except the tubular cross-members... they are indeed tubular. This isn't the 70s anymore. Whoops... correction, I refer to the DI. The DII has, in my opinion, gone too far from its roots.

There's a shop here called Northern 4x4 you'd like. Their employees drive all kinds of exotic trucks, including a very cool Pinzgauer. The owner flew his CJ to a competition/expedition somewhere south of the equator last spring, and won the thing. It is a truly fearsome CJ, with nary a frame weld in sight.
  • bwhbwh Member Posts: 76
    I went and drove/inspected a Disco a month or two ago. Cramped interior, pathetic V8, which I was told by the salesman will blow its headgaskets, but don't worry it usually happens under warranty. You may want to look closer at the G, anybody with functional eyeballs can attest to the Gwagen having much heftier components. Wrong am I? So Rovers don't break axles and diffs? Thats funny, hanging around the rover boards seems to tell a different story than the one you preach. Do I sense a bit of that crazy brand loyalty in your post? I know it is hard(impossible) for you rover guys to accept the facts. If I am wrong on every count I would love to meet you in Moab. Your Disco wouldn't make it, well maybe if you winch it up the tough stuff. As for these modified Jeeps and such, lets see you make it a daily driver as well. I suspect it also had a custom beefed frame, they are for sale in every 4x4 mag out there. Gee, I wonder why that would be?

I drove a Pinzie in Atlanta last weekend when I picked up the Mog. Really a cool truck, next on my list. I was particularly impressed by its on road abilities. It could work as a regular driver, unless of course your in a hurry.
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    Hello "nanuq", fancy meeting you here!

While I love my 00 Disco II, my ultimate goal is to own a 3-door G-wagen. They are the ULTIMATE off-roader and my dream for 40 years. I almost bought one once while driving through Santa Fe. I had a new MB 320 sedan and almost traded even for an 85 G280 with 75000 miles. But common sense overcame my lust! But I will have one someday! Until then, I'll enjoy my LR.

PS: I can tell that "bwh" loves the G - good for you! I'm right behind you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The all-new G500 incorporates a much more militaristic exterior then its smooth-looking M-Class counterparts."

Mercedes adds another SUV to lineup

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • wolfxwolfx Member Posts: 72
    i've heard complaints that the C, E, and S series have been compromised by "cheaper" build to increase profits and lower prices to attract a larger audience, and that the only models left that are still "over engineered" are the CL and SL series. Would the G series be considered another "over engineered" benz?
  • rkoeslerrkoesler Member Posts: 62
    I lied when I said I've wanted a G for 40 years - they were not built back then. But I still want one. A white 3-door G280 just showed up on a used car lot in my town, it's pretty rough and abused, and $ 23,000. Our MB dealer has already sold 10 new G500's, sight unseen - they also have a used 2000 G500 for $82,000 (a "bargain" since it cost almost $ 140,000 new), but they don't think they can sell it since a new one is "only" @ $ 75,000.

I guess I'll just keep waiting, and hoping! And yes, they are over-engineered, overbuilt, and the only vehicle still hand-built all the way.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    There's actually a vehicle named "Disco?" LMAO!

What next, the "New Wave?"
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    Disco = DISCOvery (Land Rover)
    Thanks heavens for that! I said to myself "Disco - must be some European model."

Boy do I feel foolish.
  • sencsenc Member Posts: 44
    My brother, who is the ultimate MB customer, has offered to let me take one of the G500's he has ordered and to be delivered within a few weeks. Do anyone know if those things are really commanding the thousands above list price that he says they will bring? I can have one of his for list price, so I would stand to benefit considerably. Any ideas on REAL demand and street price?
    Before you could get a G-wagon through some company in New Mexico that imported them. I believe that after all the fees, the price for a 5-door G-wagon was something like $115,000. Now that Mercedes has priced it at around $75,000, you're saving a lot (!!).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    "Every luxury feature that any sane person could possibly desire is standard in the G500."

2002 Mercedes-Benz G500 First Drive.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    I saw my first G500 today at the Mercedes-Benz dealership. I have ordered a 2002 ML500 that should be in mid Dec. I stopped by the dealer to see about ordering a few accessorys; front bra, windshield sunshade, mud guards etc. My salesman asked me if I had a few minutes that they just got in a G500 that was sold already. It was Black with Charcoal leather. It was really nice. The looks of it are growing on me.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Mark,

Did you find any accessories for the G500 available? I don't think there is a bra, mud guards... let us know if you were successful.

BTW - What color are you getting?

Thanks - Frank
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Frank, I'm getting the ML not the G, so I didn't check the G for accessories. The dealership's new brochure didn't list the new style front bra for the 2002 ML yet. The counter guy is going to look it up and let me know if it's available and what they will charge for it. My dealer doesn't sell the "invisible bra/mask" which seems interesting.

My ML500 will be Desert Silver with Java leather, will have bi-xenons w/headlamp washers, parktronic, bose 6cd, M3 (Convenience pkg), M5 (Sunroof pkg), M7 (third seat)and the Nav CD collection.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    Sorry, I should have read your post better! Nice color combo you should be very happy.

You should also join the G and ML forums at:

http://www.mbnz.org

There's lots of good info on both Edmund's and MBNZ and you won't miss a beat!

Take care - Frank

• gild150gild150 Member Posts: 7
    I placed a deposit for a ML500 on 11/14/01 and still haven't heard about a build date. Does it sound right and how long does it usually take to get a build date?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • dnscuddnscud Member Posts: 14
    i see all of you have forgotten about the mid 90`s toyota land cruisers with the optional lockers. betcha i can go anywhere the G-500 can
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    Not without ripping the cheesy plastic bumper caps off, and the running boards as well. There is nothing that even comes close to the G right off the floor.
    Except for a Unimog.
    I am planning on running the Rubicon Trail this summer in my G. I have been told that while Unimogs have made it, they are a little too wide for some sections. So my Mog will stay at home until the next Moab adventure.

Why don't you come on down in the Disco? We'll see what that baby's made of!
    Boy would I love to run the Rubicon in Anuqa. Take a look here for some great shots of an old Series Rover! It *almost* made it... broken half-shaft, from the looks of it.

http://www.thelen.org/Rubicon98/rub98.html

Here's the one I like...

Articulation?? What's that???

Oh, THAT'S what it is.....

Here's a Disco...

One more...

Cheers!

I like the bottom of the Disco shot. It is amazing what trucks like this can tackle. The series on top looks ready to topple over. If it where a jeep it probably would.

I am looking forward to Rubicon. We are trying to get Harold Pietschman to guide us. I'm pretty darn brave with my7 truck but, I am sure Harold has a few tricks I've never seen.
    Having The Man along will make that a great trip! You'll have to pass along any tips you get from him?!

Yeah it's pretty amazing what a "grocery getter" will do with $1600 worth of lockers. Defender drivers tend to bad-mouth the Disco but it's basically the same truck with 10" more wheelbase... and a lot more liveable for our Better Halves. (wink)
    i dont have,nor will i ever have running boards. thats #1. #2 behind those cheesy bumper caps is a boxed steel frame. capable? maybe you should try one under the same conditions as a 500 before you degrade toyota. i was not degrading a 500. i was commenting on a previons comment on this site. it seems you forgot that land cruisers are used all over the world, and now that the 500 and the toyota are about the same price we will see what the public thinks. now , you explain what the 500 has over the mid 1990s land cruiser.
    I aplologize if you found that offensive. I did not mean to poke at the Cruiser. Like the G the newer LC suffers from suburban use syndrome. How about we compare the mid 90s versions, it is a fair comparison. The newest LC uses an ind front suspension and no longer offers the front locker. So in todays market if you want an off the shelf wheeler, the G500 skunks the new TLC.

I have a '95 G320, inline six 210hp. I think a similar year LC has identical engine configuration and HP. Both can be had with full lockers, optional on the LC, and are full time 4wd. Both are live axle on coils. They ride on identical wheelbases, assuming a LWB five door G. The G however is 12" shorter overall greatly reducing the overhangs, mostly in the rear, by comparison. The G is also three inches narrower, a handy margin on many trails. So the LC is larger overall, yet the G wieghs 800lbs more, ~5300lbs vs ~4500lbs. While the Toyota is a stout machine, the wieght alone tells me which employs heavier, stronger components. The trailer tow ratings are also telling. I found ratings for the '91 LC, 3500Lb max towing vs. 7000lbs for the G. On the cruiser you need to immediately relocate the spare from under the truck. The pics of the FJ80 I saw showed bumpers similar to my G, the newer ones I saw have more of a molded plastic cap. This will certainly be destroyed right off. People I have spoken with, that have experience with both machines, find the Toyota to be the "looser fitting" of the two. The G is an incredibly stout machine.

The LC is a great machine no doubt, the G is definately the heavier duty of the two though. Does it NEED to be that tough? Probably not but, it is very comforting when wheeling with the family along. I know that G failures are unheard off. The drivetrain, suspension, axles and frame are military tough. The LC is not a bad alternative for a whole lot less money.
    hi again, the 1996 towing rating is 5000#,now that is in high range, in low i dont know that number. weight rating, which are you using? curb or gross? curb is 4850# gross is 6470#. i agree that the spare needs moved. i worked in a chevy-toyota dealership. most toyotas were in for maint. only. when i look for a different vehicle i like to get alot of info on the repair history. i am from the east coast, i have heard and read that the mercedes has had some quality issues. i do agree that the new models cant be compared. oh define loose fitting, stout is the word. my son has a friend whos family was broadsided by a semi in their 93 tlc, they all walked away with minor injuries, thats a t-bone at 40 mph. toyota has had a higher quality rating for some time now . that includes their lexus division. but to let you know if toyota does not bring back the solid front axle and 3 lockers, i will probably look for a g-wagon. these two vehicles, in the mid 1990s were the best!
    Gross on the G is 6820, curb depends on model some but mine is ~5400, they are really heavy. The loose fitting was just something I read from someone that has used both off-road extensively. The G just felt like a more solid machine to him. I have a friend that was hit by a drunk in a Tundra pick-up. The Tundra was going 70mph swerved into the G hitting it oncoming around a curve behind the drivers door. The G was lifted on 35" tires and travelling at 40mph itself. One bolt broke on the trailing arm and some sheetemtal damage. With a hammer and replacing the broken bolt the G was drivable. The Tundra shed its entire front clip in the accident. Both very tough trucks no doubt. While some of the newer Mercedes may have some issues the G is entirely hand built. They even bend brake lines by hand. The G is the last of the super reliable MB products.

Don't hold your breath for the live axle to come back. Even the new Range Rover is all independant now. The marketeers just don't believe people actually go off-road with these vehicles anymore, especially when the prices get up to $70k plus. Wouldn't they have been surprised to see the 2 $140k G500s that showed up for our G club Moab event.
    hi, no i will not hold my breath for the axle, but north america is the only place on earth that the live axle is not a option. ive heard that lexus is keeping the 470 and toyota is dropping that style for the land cruiser. i hope the new land cruiser will get back to its roots. otherwise i will have to wait along time for a 500 to become affordable. someday i hope to make it out west to try some of the trails that i have read about.
    Here are some pics to tempt you. http://homepage.mac.com/bwinterholm
    thanks for the pic and conversation.
  • homfindrhomfindr Member Posts: 3
    I own a 97 d90 softop; put a 4.6 engine on it, raised it, lockers. It's my fun car. Went to Moab with the rover crowd, and that would be all my 4wheeling experience, what a fun time (spider, slick rock, the crack). I don't think I would ever trade it, even if they bring the new d90 on 2003. This d rocks and only has 23k miles.
    Now, my daily driver is coming to the end of the loan agreement, a disco series II. Never took it off road but never had any complaints like my former series I. Fast and reliable, comfortable, a lot of car for the money. But saw the G500 last year and dreamt of it. Finally I will pick it up on Friday (silver, black leather with chrome bull bar). I feel kind of funny to take the brand new G off road... Are you guys doing anything soon? would love to get away.
    But it would be a tough choice: roughing it up on the white horse (d90) or cruising on the G (the new Homfindr).
    Nothing immediately. We have a couple new guys in the G club. They are Rover converts. they were both very involved in Rover events and have brought those organizational skills with them. Last fall in Moab was really the first event we ever planned for G owners. Don't be shy with the new truck I had two guys in G500s last year. They paid the "old" price for theirs, nearly double what a 2002 goes for. I even had the one running the stock 18" tires. We did Spider and Moab Rim with no problems.

The next event is planned for late July. We are going to run the Rubicon trail near Lake Tahoe. We are very fortunate to have Harold Pietschman as our guide. You can check out his site @ www.4x4abc.com

Rubicon is more serious than Moab. I don't think it is a good place for a stock anything. My truck is getting its first round of mods later this week. I will be installing longer springs, to be followed by 33 or 34 inch tires, rock sliders for the door sills and most likely a custom steel rear bumper. I figure I stand a pretty good chance of getting through with little or no damage.

I think we are pretty full right now, we are trying to keep the number of vehicles down. The place to follow G gatherings is www.clubgwagen.com for the latest follow the link to the yahoo groups email list. It is a great bunch, depending on where you live, there is normally someone to go wheelin with. Welcome aboard.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I see you also got your Mog going, how is it doing?

That conversation about Mog axles makes me ask a question, I am on the restoration of my 406, before I put it in my shop I was concerned about the diff locks working or not, someone on the Mogml said an easy test was to get a shop air hose and pump air into the locks and listen for leaks? supousedly the torque tube is pressurised, but the top return line is broken at the fitting, I took a sure way and plowed trough a mud hole and got it stuck, then I flicked the switch and turned the front wheels, checked OK, then another notch and locked all the differentials, all four wheel were turning, off and on several times, checked OK, after I got out of the mud hole I noticed a puddle of gear or hydraulic oil, washed the truck good and back to the shop for good.

The oil came from the front axle, driver side, around the weld before the CV joint housing, I tought I broke the axle, but then I noticed oil in she shop floor, was there before I took it out, on closer examination the gear oil comes from the top of the axle, there is a small bolt and oil comes from there, seems like when I turn the front diff and lock, oil pours from there, that is a brainer for me, have any idea?

By the way I dont think I will be ready for the Rubicon, but I will take the trip in my ML to Baja with Harold, I sure would like to do something serious with my Mog this year, maybe Moab later, I will push it real hard from now on, the amount of work is incredible.
  • homfindrhomfindr Member Posts: 3
    And the welcome aboard. I will be checking the events.
    Sounds like your Mog has the same affliction as mine. The locks on the Mog are run by air pressure. The problem is that the actuator section for the locks is the lowest point in the compressed air system. Water and rust and such tend to collect in the locks. There are two o-ring type seals in there. The contamination ruins the seals and the air leaks out. Someone on the mogml explained it better than I understand it right now but, this pressurized air makes its way into the transmission and pressurizes it forcing gear oil out the dipstick tube and/or and other weak trans seals. Mine happens to leak air in front and pushes oil out as you describe. I also have a front out put shaft seal leak on the trans. So I have oil dripping from the bellows at the top of the front shaft too. I ordered the parts earlier this week. Seems like a pretty simple repair. So my mog is a bit of a work in progress as well. It should be ready by summer though for some wheelin.

The best way to combat the seal deterioration is to drain the air tank of water EVERY time you run the truck. Later models employed an air dryer to fix the problem permenantly.

My first chance to really run the mog will likely be at next years Moab event.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Thanks for the imput, but you are describing what I did not want to hear, after my mud test I was in relief, but as I see it, to replace the seals I have to split the axels, if I remember correctly you have a 404, dont they have a cover plate? In the 406 the only way to get inside is by opening the differentials in the middle, ouch....

Where did you get the parts if you dont mind.
    Nope, we are in the same boat, I have a '71 416. The project doesn't look too bad. Pull the wheel off, dismantle at the knuckle. The knuckle is just a few bolts top and bottom. Then pull the whole works out, the axle shaft will come right out of the diff. Ooops I forgot the part where you remove the spring, shock and panhard rod. Then you are correct, you take that side of the axle housing off and the seals are inside. I have been getting parts from Jim Ince at Eurotech in Oregon.
  • turnergrp1turnergrp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a G500 on order but just heard from my dealer about the above. Other than longer wheelbase,third row seat, more power and a l o t more money...I know nothing. Anybody?
    DT
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "This one's for you: If you're different. Rich and different. Very rich and different."

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dylanrheadylanrhea Member Posts: 5
    I would be appreciative to hear any feedback from current MB G500 owners. Information that I am looking for is price paid, performance, and overall feelings about the truck and of the purchase. I am looking to buy one before the end of the year and would like to hear from current owners of the vehicle.
    The 2002 G500s have mostly been bought at MSRP. There is enough of a supply that being gouged by a greedy dealer is not necessary. You can find them on ebay every day.

What do you want to know about its performance? On road, Off road, Fuel economy??? You have to take into consideration that this is an old design, one initially built to military specs. In many ways the driving experience is inferior to the ML. If you want the toughest most capable off roader in the world, the G500 is it. If you want something to haul your golf clubs, get the ML500.

Seriously, the G is a big strong tool for plying the mountains and deserts of the world. It does handle daily chores quite well though. As an example, most trading from a Range Rover have commented on how much more solid the G is. The road manners are superior, the quality is superior, its capabilites are superior.

I am on my second Gwagen, I happen to just love them. Mine goes off road several weeks out of each year. Don't look to me to dissaude you! But I do think that just "buying the look" is a mistake. If you do buy one, use it, the experience is one of a kind.

Most new owners have not had problems. Some however have had some minor trouble with some of the electronic gear added this year. The truely smart money is on the '99-'00 G500s. You get the new V8 but retain the slightly more simplistic interior and leave behind some of the useless electronic gizmos. Prices on these have dropped into the low to mid 60s
  • dylanrheadylanrhea Member Posts: 5
    We bought our new silver G500 this weekend, and I am absolutely thrilled. It is extremely solid, powerful, and fun to drive. As always, the build quality is amazing. We are very happy. Thanks for your input.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    I just got an email that linked me to a site showing an AMG G55. 349 HP, Quad exhaust, AMG body kit and unique interior. He was trying to dig up a price $US and felt it would retail at about $95K. Anyone know for sure. You can expect Land Rover to introduce a 350+hp suped up Range Rover as well.
  • jdg500qjdg500q Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever experienced the glare of headlights and surrounding lights that some say plague a G500 driver at night?

Also, I understand the G500 feels very unstable in turns. Does it "feel" like it will tip over like a Range Rover, but wont or is it something that should be a concern?
    I have 2 Gwagens now, a '95 G320 and a '02 G500. I previously owned a '90 model as well. I have never had any trouble with headlight glare. I suppose the thought stems from the fact that all of the glass is flat. The G500s all have pretty heavily tinted windows, excluding the very front driver and passenger windows, which I have tinted as well. I would think that would eliminate any potential problem.

As to the "tippy" remark, the G is actually extremely resitant to tipping. It takes a substantially steeper slope to tip a G than the much wider and lower Hummer. The "feel" may be one of tippiness, it is a very tall vehicle. I had the 500 in a parking ramp with 6'7" clearance, I missed the hieght marker by no more than an inch on the way in. The G uses a huge anti sway bar in front to keep it on an even keel during road manuvers. Once you get used to it, you can corner as well as any taller vehicle.
    I think what most people feel when cornering in a 4WD with long-travel suspension is this tall and tippy feeling. It's the consequence of excellent offroad ability. Your thick antisway bars will help control that onroad... I bet there's a quick-disconnect kit available to let you release them for serious offroad work? Then you've got the best of both worlds.
    Actually the design on the G does not seem to limit the travel. I know a guy with a wildly modified G rockcrawler. He added taller springs, longer shocks etc and found that connected or not the anti roll bar had very little effect on the travel.

Your absolutely right though. Take a tall narrow truck like the G or Disco and its going to feel tippy. I understand that the ACE system on the newer Discos is really a boon on the road.
  • mikecullymikecully Member Posts: 2
    PARDON MY IGNORANCE, BUT WHAT IS A DISCO?
This discussion has been closed.