Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz G-class (Geländewagen)

megasuvownermegasuvowner Posts: 64
edited July 12 in Mercedes-Benz
I was wondering what people thought of the mercedes gelaendewagen. i brought this up because the mercedes gwagen has been around for more than 30 years but it is still rare in the us and was only sold by a company in Sante Fe, New Mexico, www.gwagen.com, up until now. At the 2001 New York International Auto Show, merecedes introduced the Gelaendewagen as the G-Class and said that they would now be available at all Mercedes-Benz dealers. I myself own a 1996 gwagen and i paid more than $100k for it, but the one at the mercedes dealerships will only be $72k and that will open it up for plenty of competition, with Range Rover being its most-fit competitor. Once again, i was just wondering what people think of this large luxury suv. all opinions accepted.

Comments

• thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I would say that the Gwagen is superior to a Land Rover, I owned a Land Rover in the late sixties, early sixties vintage, asides of having the rigth transmission it was not that great, a buddy of mine bougth at that time a Nissan Patrol and it was much more superior in all aspects, we did torture this vehicles while working in the oil fields in south america. The Rover did have an aluminum body and I have mixed feelings about, it was ligther but developed a lot of stress cracks and galvanic corrosion at key points.

Rigth now I own a couple of 406 Unimogs and a ML430, I am in the process of sinking a good bit of money into restoring the 406's into like new condition althoug mechanically they are in excellent shape, but the short wheel base of the 406, 1 inch shorter than my Porsche and total length not much more, makes it too apealing for me.

I like the idea of MB selling the Gwagen in volume, like you said the price will be down and who knows, I maybe hanging around the MB dealer.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    More people join this board. . . Love the G-wagen. . .

Robert
    I am willing to bet there are ten to one more Rolls than Gwagens.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,251
    It would help if us North Americans knew how to pronounce it....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    That's why MB called it the G500, or G-class ;-)

It's pronounced Ge-lan-de-vagen, BTW, or G-wagen for short.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    I like the G a lot !

My neighbor in HKG had the 2 door one, but he moved away leaving me no chance to take pics ! =)

Yup, if money was no object, the G would be in my lot.

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml

• kjookjoo Posts: 27
    I went to my dealer to see the pic of the new mb ml500 and walked away with the G500 pic in my pocket and now im consitting a G500 for my driveway.
    Do they have brochures there yet?

Robert
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    MB's http://www.mercedes-benz.com/d/cars/g-class/default.htm site has a wealth of information, but all in German :-<

Anyways, if you are willing to play, check out the flash animations. Click on any of the icons to the right, you will see in introductory screen, which tells you about the navigation. In the upper right corner of the gray screen, click on the word "WEITER" to go on. Depending which icon you chose, you will now see either (1) a few faint pix with a scroll bar above them, or (2) the plant layout of the Graz factory. If (2), hover your mouse over the picture, and choose an area of the plant you like to see. Now you should also see the scroll bar. Drag it left or right to position the item you are interested in dead center, and click on it, the movie will load. Now, click on play, and you're in business...

Have fun playing,

Geländewagen Tarik

• mkwandramkwandra Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard when the G-Class will be available in the US, if ever? If you haven't seen it, it looks a lot like an old Land Rover. It's all over MB's corporate website, and it's included as part of the 2002 line up.

For that matter, is there any word on whether the A-class coming to America?

If they aren't coming to America, can they be purchased in Canada?

Thanks!
    The G-wagen will be available in North America fall of this year. Pricing has been discussed in previous messages...it will be about US$73K, or over CDN$101K.

Regarding the A-class, no the current version will not make it over to North America since it was designed for the European and Asian markets only. However, there is a possibility that the next generation A-class will make it to the US and Canada.

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    If you really want to see what a G-wagen looks like in 3-D, go to your local Toys R US. Matchbox has been selling one since 2000. And it's $0.99 only, what a deal.
    Now you have to go to the G-Wagon owners club and introduce yourself

:)

Robert
  • How many snobs or POWER WOMEN can fit in this new thing? Love the flags,guess everyone has to be special.
  • eman5eman5 Posts: 110
    Any rumors about MB updating their styling?
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    The flatter the sheetmetal, the more it was designed for offroading. If you see a curvy SUV, it's designed for looks and eye candy. If it's got little attention to looks, chances are it's got plenty of attention to capability.

Mercedes makes the M-class for those who want curves and could care less about offroad ability. The "G" is for going offroad first, looking good second.

-Bob
    Curvy is good for aerodynamics. The M-class has one of the lowest drag co-efficiencies among SUVs...it can go off-road, just not through the heavy stuff, but definitely a lot more than an RX or an MDX. Don't forget that the ML placed 1st, 3rd, and 10th in the 2000 Dakar rally across Africa, beating out many supposedly more off-roadable SUVs in the T1 unmodified stock vehicle class.

I don't think many people drive their new G-wagens off-road nowadays ;-)

Drew
    Host
  • dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    the Gs that are coming to the US, where will they be made ?

dt77
  • They will be at most Mercedes dealerships but they will not make many, so the most your dealership may get is 3 . i could be wrong. And the G will continue to be made in Germany.
  • bwhbwh Posts: 76
    A G-wagen topic I didn't start. The G will not nor was it ever built in Germany. The exclusive plant where they have been hand built for 20 years is in Graz, Austria. They are currently anticipated to arrive in Dec 2001. The volume is claimed to be 1000-2000 units per year. That would double the current US G population in the first year, currently about 1100. Drew, you need to qualify your off-roading comment. Few of the celebrities that bought new Gs ever take them off road. You would be surprized to find how many do go off road. In fact the importer sets up guided trips for G owners and the G500 contingent is well represented. I am on my second G, a 1995 G320, I bought it for using off road. I have gone as far as to build an obstacle course for my G. That way I can have fun in between my trips to the mountains. As far as snobs and power women owning the G, sure there are some just like any expensive vehicle. The vast majority of G owners are pretty regular folks that simply desire the best practical reliable off road vehicle availible. I certainly hope they never change the styling, its perfect!

Thor8, I have also caught the Unimog bug. I should have a Swiss 404 within the next couple of months. Looks like the obstacle course will need some updating, he,he.
    Why dont we add the Unimog to the Title?

Robert
  • sorry i should have known where my own vehicle was made, im not really a european person, but i just assumed they were made in Germany.
    Congratulations! I hope you have a positive experience.

You must have come in contact or got too close to one, carefull they are addictive.

A fellow in New York told me that and he endep up owning about a dozen, I already have two.
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    I was looking at a 1999-2000 G-Class Owner's manual and it explains about the Parktronic feature with rear sensors in rear bumper and a rear pillar mounted Warning Display. I wonder if this will be available in the 1st US versions to be release late this year or early next?

Also, the manual shows the MB grill guard as being a fold down unit to access the lights and grill for maintenance... pretty neat... wonder how much this option will cost?
    You can see the standard features on MBusa's web site. I am pretty sure parktronic is standard. The grille gaurd used to go for $1100 from the importer in Santa Fe, no clue if MB dealers will have them or at what cost. I had one on my 300GE, not only does it fold down but easily comes right off minus a couple little bumper brackets using just the supplied tool. It is a pretty beefy unit too, much better than any I have seen.

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• agh15agh15 Posts: 90
    I wonder if G-500 will be reliable when it comes out
    First Look: 2002 Mercedes-Benz G500

Steve
    Host

The Edmunds review stinks! Typical of a tester that has NO knowledge of the vehicle whatsoever. Of course I know Edmunds is catering to the masses. What is wrong is that the G does not. There was a stupid comment under one of the pictures stating how the G was as good as a Jeep off road. Fact is Jeeps cannot touch the Gs off road prowess. I had to write a letter to C and D a while back when they wrote a dumb review like Edmunds. I have to agree that if you intend to use it as a car there are many better ways to spend your money. But if you want the ultimate practical off roader, hand built to last a lifetime, look no further than the G wagen.
    Got another link for you :-)

Send a letter to the editors

Steve
    Host

This discussion has been closed.