Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hummer H2

Wondering what you all think of GM's first truck since aquiring the company from AM General. I heard the H2 will ride on the YUKON/TAHOE platform, is this true? Also what you all think of the $50k price tag which comes with unproven reliability and safe-to-say bad gas milage, might be wrong but its early and havent heard much yet. Now that the dot-coms and get rich quick kids are fading, will there be a strong market like they said. GM says it will appeal to young buyers in particular, but do some of you old timers like em too? Here's the place to speak out on the new Hummer H2.

p.s. has anyone seen a concept car in another color besides the yellow-one? I know the yellow looks cool but ive seen the same one at a few auto shows around the country and in all the magazines and its getting kinda old fast.

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    Chicago Tribune Jim Mateja Column

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• agh15agh15 Posts: 90
    ANY NEW NEWS ON 2002 HUMMER H2
    At least in Aspen (and they're likely the H1's).

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ver2us1ver2us1 Posts: 36
    I'm not an expert on Hummers but I work in the town they are made in so see frequent newspaper articles. Yes, the H2 is being built off the Tahoe/Yukon platform including some parts from the full size Chevrolet Silverado pickup. It will be selling for $50,000-$60,000. There is also a H2 SUV/truck that should be added to the line up in '03. GM is also working on a H3 (possibly for the '04 model year) which will be smaller than the H2 and priced around $25,000.
  • jjgittesjjgittes Posts: 54
    Too bad this thing will be priced at $50 plus. Seems to me that mid to high $30's would be more realistic considering that SUV's in general are losing some of the prestige, allure, or whatever. A good small block V-8 with half way decent gas mileage,, off road capability, utiltarian look (but not too much of a climb to get in) and a price that yup's whose stock options didn't quite pan out, would give GM a winner. They could pull away people interested in an Xterra, a jeep, and just about all those other bland $30 plus SUV's out there.
  • The H3 will most likely get to compete Xterra and jeep people. We are talking about a large four wheel drive vehicle not a small one. I currently drive a Yukon XL 4x4 and it snickered for 42,000+.
    I ordered my H2 in April 2001 or better yet am #5 on the list for first incoming units. I have been told that the first units produced will be fully optioned as was the first Yukon XL's when they came out. There are 3 colors to be built so far and they are Summit White, Competition Yellow, and Onyx Black. They cannot tell me about interior colors as of yet. I have number 5 off the truck regardless of color I have no choice in this. I have also been told that they are relatively the size of the Tahoe / Yukon but the frame is either going to be beefed up or based more off of the 2500HD pick-up. The H1 is a novelty and not used to it's full potential by most owners. The H2 will still have in the shadow of big brother a certain image and prowess to uphold. I can speak from personal experience that I could care less about gas mileage and most suv drivers like the space inside and the presence of those around us. I do not have all the answers but am updated when my dealer gets the information. I am looking forward to getting my H2 as I like to stand out since I am in sales. I can be E-Mailed at AshtonWoodsHomes@Hotmail.com.
    Have a great day!!!
  • agh15agh15 Posts: 90
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHEN THE H3 WIIL COME OUT
  • yotarulz1yotarulz1 Posts: 3
    I mean didn't any of you guys read the Four Wheeler magazine's article about the Ultimate 4x4. The Hummer competed with the Land Rover Discovery, Jeep, and Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma won, guys. This thing costs one fifth of what a Hummer costs and stomped the thing. Granted the Hummer is pretty awesome or at least I thought it was, it is not all that. Slow as crap for sure. Seriously what is the appeal of this beast after such news. Even the H2 I just heard about is still $50k+. I know it can't be any tougher than the original. Obviously I am a Tacoma owner and you guys can rest assured that the best truck won. Please respond, I'd like to know your sentiments about such pitiful news for this supposedly "go anywhere" vehicle.
  • The true Hummer owner cares only about having the elite car, the "beast" for all intensive purposes. I own a 1999 Hummer Wagon, and yes it is huge compared to the casual foot print of the Suburban or TACOMA for that matter. I have a touching story, cause my Hummer saved my life.. It happened about 3 months ago during a really bad storm near St. Louis, Flooding etc, etc. Nothing new for St. louis I assure you. I was on the highway and had to slow down really quickly for traffic, well the semi-tractor trailer behind me didn't stop. I had installed Racing Type belts the week before to take on a HUMMER driving trip at National Headquarters and then a trip through the Rockies. Any way, I was sitting still maybe inching forward and the truck hit me at and estimated 60+ mph. And launched me and my HUMMER into the median about 100 feet down the road through the mud and guck.. I was "OUT" and came too as someone asked how I was able to get out of the way of the Truck. The Semi was a wreck, and the back of my truck was barely dented in. His truck took all the pounding and the fiberglass shattered around the hummer. More than one person said that being in any other car would've either killed me or paralyzed me. The Hummer was in the shop for two weeks getting the rear fixed and the painting redone, but atleast I made it out alive. You can ask me about my wreck in the TOYOTA 4Runner another time.
  • I was hit from behind while in College, I had a 1987 $ Runner, with the removable top. Some drunk guy hits me from behind and sends the fibergalss top across the front of the truck. In the process the jack and 4 way fly through the front windshield and onto the hood. I was sitting at a light and "BANG", next ting I know I am in a Ambulance being rushed to the nearby hospital with a sliver of fiberglass hanging out of the side of my neck. You know how insulation feels on your arm, imagine that same itching but inside your skin on your neck.. Toyota claimed that they had never seen or heard of the removable top coming off during and accident.. But mine proved it capable, MAYBE that is why they are not removable anymore, or maybe it was the lawsuit from FORD for infringement, because the old Bronco did the same thing????
    Hummer Slide Is Blamed on Realignment of GM Dealerships

Steve
    Host

GM Blazes a New Trail with Its Marketing Strategy for Upscale Hummer

Steve
    Host

• I came into work today to see an H2 in a parking space of my employer, a large MA based OEM sound system supplier. White, no badges, MI tags, nice! It has a light olive interior. Seats are leather with a contrasting cloth center insert. The body is a little rough in places, especially around the tail area. Some spot welds are clearly visible. There is a pink sticker on the front windshield that says "Milford Proving Grounds", and #7 sticker on the back hatch. I haven't gotten to sit in it yet, but it appears to have a fully finished interior. It's also now out of sight in a protected parking area with the rest of the test vehicles. I want one! Apparently it was transported in or literally driven in over-night from MI to EQ the sound system that is going to be supplied in the production vehicle. Depending on how the interior is configured, leather or cloth, a different amplifier is used for that particular interior configuration. It's at our engineering facility for this process so we can begin to build the properly configured production units. I forgot to mention that this H2 also has a sunroof with a pull shade. I haven't had an opportunity to pop the hood yet. I was out this afternoon looking at it closer, and there is one thing I don't like on it. The aluminum wheels have a center cap that has a fake inflator assembly moulded into it. To make matters worse, the valve stem was on the opposite side of the direction the bar exited. Reminiscent of the late 80's Thunderbird with rear disks, and aluminum wheels with ribbed centers to simulate drums! Other than that, this thing kicks butt!
  • "The Tacoma won, guys. " Ya thats why everytime there is a bad snow storm or flood they bring in all the Tacoma's. I also noticed all the Tacomas in Somalia, Kuwait, and Askanistan. Ya we believe Four Wheeler magazine, I bet it has NOTHING to do with the money they spend on ads does it?
    Cmon get serious.
  • eman5eman5 Posts: 110
    This is an interesting and expensive, possibly overpriced, vehicle. Which has me wondering: does the luxury tax expire at the end of calendar year 2002, or with the beginning of model year 2003?
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Has a preview of the H2 that's currently on its front page, plus decent pictures. Check it out quickly though because they change the story (same web addy, different story) every other 2 weeks I believe.
  • Hello guys. I used to be so in love with the hummer until now. I don't see how they could take a rough tough truck and turn it into a GM copy cat. Yes the design may be brushed over a bit. But the under parts are mixed up GM truck parts (www.cars.com). THis truck may run on gas, but it then looses the amazing low end grunt. If you read the article on the H2 vs H1 in cars.com you will see. Not to get on any bodys bad side, but did you notice that the H2 is really only about 10 grand less than the startinbg point o fthe H1. NOt that you will find anything but a used one now for less than 60k. But still. Ths price of the H2 loaded I bet is surly going to reach far beyond 60k, and doesnt have any of the redeming fetures of the H1.
    You loose only about 2 in all around, and more in terms of river crossings and groud clearence, and all you gain is just a bit more interior space. The point of the hummer is to have the best. but this new thing...isn't really that now is it?
  • I recently went to a local autoshow and saw the Hummer H2. What a piece of garbage. It really looks like lots of plastic molded into an Aztec design. I like the Hummer H1 because it was a real hummer. Mean looking and handled excellent offroad. When I first heard about the H2 I was very interested. Its not common for a new hummer to come out. I looked around and was not very impressed. If I had to choose between the two the Hummer H1 would be my defenite choice. Only problem is the interior is not exactly made for a 6'3 220 pound person. As I sat in the H1 I could feel the tight space. I then walked around and sat in the rear. I couldnt even fit. As I squezzed myself out I needed to grab the door handle from the outside just so that I could get out. I will always love the hummer but Its not something that I would be able to drive eveyday.
    2003 Hummer H2

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards