Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Defender 90/110

Comments

• The best remedy is to put on a soft top. My top has gaps around the doors so I get plenty of natural air flow. I have had my 95 D-90 for 3 winters and have never had problems with foggy windows. Another good website for Defender related questions is www.d-90.com. They have a bulletin board where you can post questions.
  • kram18kram18 Posts: 45
    Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor I heard about Landrover bringing back the D90 to the states in '06?
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Rumor has it that when the Defender is redesigned in 2006 we will get it here as well.
  • texbmwtexbmw Posts: 25
    Any ideas on whether the Defender will retain its off road and other qualities after a Ford redesign? Or will we end up with a beefed up Freelander?
  • I'm quite confident that the Defender will not be a Ford related design. Land Rover keeps their Defender's heritage very well and I doubt the engine and the body are designed by Ford.
  • miked03miked03 Posts: 21
    I have it on good authority that the Defender will come back to the states ('06) and will share the same chassis as the 2004 Disco. I hope this person is correct, and in the meantime, I'll be saving up for it.
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    ...there's a D110 here in Anchorage with ALL the goodies, lights, winches, roll cages, jump seats, you name it. It's "only" $58,000.
  • nebulasnebulas Posts: 10
    miked03 - why do you think it would be good news for the D90 to share its chassis with the Discovery? Isn't the current UK D90's chassis good as is? I understand that the only reason why we haven't seen it in the U.S. since 1997 is because it needed interior modifications (airbags, etc.) to comply with US regulations.
    I'm hoping that it retains much of its looks and legendary off-road characteristics, and that Ford does not tamper with the model significantly (just like they did in making one Jaguar model resemble a Taurus).
  • amhjmsamhjms Posts: 14
    Any updates on the D90 coming in 2006? I'm particularly interested in what will happen to the values of the 94, 95 and 97 models if a new design comes to the US as my wife would be more open to a $10 k vehicle vs. a $30 k + (particularly as I think I'll still keep my sports car).

Sure it is possible that Ford will mess up the D90, but I'd be surprised. The new Range Rover is quite nice, yet retained its offroad capabilities, right? Since the D90 is a global vehicle and used in the jungles of the world, I think the risk of Ford taming it significant are relatively low.

I love those D90s
  • elemintelemint Posts: 79
    a 10 year old car selling above the new price??? WHo are you people buying these trucks????????????????????????????????????????????One ca buy the same car in the UK for $7k as Americans are buying for over $30K!!!!!!!!! Strange people....
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    There were less than 9,000 Defenders sold in the US in the 4 years they were offered (93,94,95,97), and the numbers are not growing. There have been hundreds of thousands sold in the UK with more new ones every year. Supply and demand keep the price up in the U.S.
  • elemintelemint Posts: 79
    soon if people will pay 3x the value. Like taking candy from a baby....
  • kram18kram18 Posts: 45
    Too bad you can't legally do that.....
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A new Land Rover Defender will arrive on the sport-ute scene within a few years to anchor the brand's reputation as a hard-core off-road haven. Automotive News Europe says that the model, a staple in the Land Rover lineup for years but unavailable in the U.S. for the past couple of years due to safety and emissions hurdles, will return this decade, possibly as early as 2007. The replacement for the Defender will be based on the new T5 architecture that underpins the new LR3, which itself replaces the outgoing Discovery.
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    This is welcome news, what with used D110's selling for US$40-60K. It's interesting, nonetheless, that I sent an email to LR's web page within the last month asking when we were going to see a new Defender in the US. I received a very polite reply that LR did not intend to produce another Defender for the North American market, or words to that effect.

I know they wouldn't preempt their own press release with an email to some yahoo rock-hopper, but it's interesting all the same. I interpreted the response to mean Ford was protecting the low end price point for the Explorer line. Could this be an acknowledgment that too many serious off-roaders are turned off by the fussy looks and outrageous pricing of the newest Range Rover and fearing the same reaction to LR3? Or have the Jeep line, 4Runner, Xterra and Touareg been eating into their sales? My guess: All of the above.
    With sales of the new Range Rover much higher than the preceding models, people are certainly not "turned off" from this vehicle. Also any decision to bring the Defender to the US market will only come after analysis of the marketability of the vehicle in the US. One reason that the Defender's that are currently in the US are worth so much is that they are very rare. There were less than 7,000 Defenders sold in 94,95,97 and they did not exactly fly off the dealer's lots.
     That said, it is certainly hoped that this icon of the brand can return to the US market.
  • ugly2ugly2 Posts: 22
    If Land Rover/Ford is bringing back the 90 I wonder if anyone knows the status of the possible return of the Bronco?
    I think I have seen a concept vehicle in the Bronco "style". Check future vehicles for Ford.
    It's nice to know LR can sell the new Rover, but I don't think that means they're on the right track with the BMW-inspired and powered design. The steam seems to be going out of some parts of the Big SUV market (see drooping sales figures for Hummers and G-wagens), there are still plenty of yuppies willing to pay too much for something that will never leave the blacktop (see Cayenne!). After Ford has had sufficient time to evaluate and decide what it wants to do with RR, maybe they will return to something closer to its roots as a luxurious yet practical off-roader.

I'm a former Range Rover owner (97 model year) who took this machine off road. I can't justify doing so with the current model selling at more than $70K, and the Teutonic trim of the current model doesn't do a thing for me.

I agree that Defender's resale price is dictated by scarcity; they do seem to move on eBay and other web auctions quite nicely. Let's hope they do return to the US. The Rangestormer concept (or whatever the production version will be called) is another step in the wrong direction.
  • spfoteyspfotey Posts: 131
    in immaculate shape. anybody know what this thing is worth??

thx

scott
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,920
    Determine the Value of your car right here.

Second opinions welcome, plus you can ask the car salespeople over in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Certainly the styling is subjective, so any discussion on that is pointless. Most people like the styling, but as Abe Lincoln once said, "You can't please all of the people all of the time". The BMW engine is a legacy of the ownership of Land Rover by BMW when the current version was designed. I'm sure that you will see Jaguar engines in the Range Rover sometime in the future.
     As far as the cost of the vehicle and people off-roading them, the 1997 Range Rover had an MSRP of $55,500 (4.0 SE) or 63,000 (4.6 HSE). The same criticism was levelled then, that it was too expensive to off-road, although you certainly had no problem with taking yours off road (which is commendable, that is where the strength of the vehicle lies). In 1997 Land Rover NA sold 6,826 vehicles in the US. By 2002 the price of the 4.6 HSE had risen to 68,000 and Land Rover NA sold 3,927. The 2003 Range Rover had an MSRP of 71,300 and Land Rover NA sold 13,834 Range Rovers, by far the most ever. Obviously the market finds this vehicle desirable and worth the added cost. From reports of attendance at LR dealer wheels events, there are many customers who have no problem taking the current vehicle off-road.
  • ignatzignatz Posts: 1
    the good news is the defenders will re-introduced in2007, the bad news is that it looks like ford has "updated the look". in other words expect another suv clone. british atlantic has the unfotunate renderings on their website and it already looks like a cross between an explorer and a nissan pathfinder. everything we loved about the defender will be compromised to appease the lawyers and beaurocrats. did you know that in europe you can get a turbo diesel range rover that gets 30+ mpg with great performance and low emissions. why cant we get good diesel vehicles and when will ford learn "if it aint broke,dont fix it. and lastly, when will detroit break out of the "nascar mentality" and give us trucks that are both powerful and fuel efficient????
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    New European pedestrian safety regulations WILL affect the styling of new European cars. For example, the next Jaguar XK will use the new XJ's aluminum chassis and will have to comply with those new regulations.

Detroit already makes diesels. Cummins I-6 turbodiesel powers big Dodge pickup trucks.

"The Cummins 610 Turbo Diesel, available on 2005 models, is more powerful, and particulates and nitrogen oxides (NOx) have been reduced to meet all states' emission standards - even California's. The piston combustion bowl and a high-flow, electronically controlled waste-gated turbocharger match boost pressure with engine needs to reduce emissions. This solution does not require exhaust gas recirculation, avoiding the need for over 50 components.

More to the point for most owners, the 610 has, appropriately, 610 lb.-ft. (827 N•m) of torque starting at 1,600 rpm [and 325 horsepower].

The Cummins turbodiesel also provides an average of 350,000 miles before an overhaul is needed, thanks partly to gallery cooled, high-strength aluminum pistons; gallery cooled, high-strength aluminum pistons, high-strength Inconel® exhaust valves and high-cobalt Stellite® exhaust valve seats, a high-strength exhaust manifold with multi-layer gasket between head and manifold; and forged steel, fracture-split connecting rods.

The Cummins 610 is quieter due to many noise reduction systems, including pilot injection - a short burst of fuel before the main injection which reduces the spike in combustion pressure for dramatically quieter combustion."

- from http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/ram-engine.html

check out

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/ram_cummins600.jsp

GM has a great 4.2 liter 275 hp I-6 in their mid-size SUVs. They should put it in their compact pickup trucks and the new 2007 Silverado. Here it is.

Low-sulphur diesel fuel will pollute less when it comes here by next year.

Ford improved their V-8 and V-10 engines for the 2005 Superduty.
  • simmosimmo Posts: 1
    I work on the LR3/Discovery/Range Rover Sport production line at Solihull in England. We are not building a new Defender on Disco chassis as yet.
    New Ford diesel engine for Europe in 2006 I believe.
    Haven't heard about the Defender coming back to the States.
  • berndbernd Posts: 1
    I'm currently running a V70 but going to replace it in Dec'05. I'm reading Off-Road magazines since a few years. My dream is a basic "E" Defender 110 SW but due to current EUR4 and particel filter discussions in Germany in waiting for the next diesel generation Ford's "Puma". I believe it'll be the 2.4 l TDCi but a bit modified for max 130 km/h speed and more torque than speed.

If you have some news on the next diesel engine and D110 MJ2006 please keep me posted.

Thanks from Germany,

Bernd
  • mm450excmm450exc Posts: 37
    I just got back from europe where I saw that defenders are still sold. I did not know this! This one right here is a 2005 and had 2k miles on it and was going for 33k EUROS. Has a 2.5 Liter diesel engine with 130HP I think. Is there no way to get this vehicle legal in the US?

• Spectacular looking 110. Unfortunately, it would would be very hard to import. For more info go to
    the following at East Coast Rover:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/FAQ.html
  • achuffachuff Posts: 3
    My German neighbor had his father go to a BMW dealership in Germany to buy the new BMW that he wanted. After driving it for a few days, it was considered used and according to my neighbor, they were able to ship the car over as a used car. They stated that they didn't have aproblem importing it but I have no idea how that would relate to a British vehicle with the steering wheel being on the "wrong" side.
    Nonetheless, I'm not sure why it would be much different than when a military person moves overseas and have their used vehicle imported for them.
    Especially, if you live in a state like Alabama where there is no emission testing or vehicle inspections. Something to explore because I would like to import a reasonbly priced Defender if possible
  • racer_65racer_65 Posts: 43
    I hate Ford. They make stupid cars, and they ruin all of my favorite British brands. The new Jaguars all look like Fords, and nobody wants them. Now it looks like Ford is going to screw up the Defender. There's totally no reason to introduce a new Defender. Just add the damn airbags and ship them over. It's gotta be a lot cheaper than building another model. If they have to have another model, call it something else. Keep the classic Defender. Ford is making all these retro-cars in the U.S., yet they want to kill a classic design that is already "retro'ed". It doesn't make any sense!