Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

1119120121122123125»

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Have you taken a look at the new sedan? Would be interested to see what you think of it compared to the old Versa--if it's a step down or step up.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,812
    Personally, I don't like the interior much...a bit low rent for me. But for someone who needs a new car with decent room for a low price, it's a good alternative and new is new, the warranty is a good thing to have. I like the old dash layout better but the seats in our hatch are far superior. The exterior is pretty modern but bland Japanese...nothing to far out here. Hopefully the hatch will address some of the sedans short comings as Nissan does make a good product overall. And ours has had 100% reliability which means a lot. Personally, I'd step up to a Sentra as it's a better car. The SL trim is a real sleeper in the new car market. Great comfy seats though the interior is over due for a complete redo. And hopefully the outside mirrors will be redone for 2013 with full ones and not the curved off one's they have now. But I'd still but a current Sentra over a Ford Focus hands down!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited December 2011
    good question, I sure haven't seen a 12 Kia Rio sedan out anywhere yet. I've only seen one '12 Rio hatch and it was on some guys flatbed truck being hauled! Looked great, it was a medium blue one.

I just saw my first Chevy Volt on the road, at least the first one that I was fully conscious of seeing. I have seen one at Dave Smith Chevrolet here in Kellogg, ID, being charged up in the freezing cold outside. They are such a non-descript looking car that I've probably seen one somewhere or two of them but never knew it and thought it was a Cruze or a Malibu. At least in defense of Chevy it means their brand "language" seems to be working fine for them. Actually, it's the design "guts" of the Chevy Volt I'm more impressed with. That car has some seriously new engineering built in to it that I find interesting...the "green" part of it, I mean. The little gas engine inside that automatically kicks on and fires up a generator that sends power to your wheels electrically after your 40 miles of electricity are up...I find it fascinating. Makes for a total Volt range of what...450-500 miles or something like that. Not bad.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• Backy:
    I want to thank you for your research on the Accent. I was ready to sign the paperwork on a 2012 Accent SE hatchback. Luckily I stayed up most of the night before researching the heck out of it. The poor IIHS crash scores ended up meaning higher insurance rates for the Accent. I gave my insurance agent 2 cars to run, the Accent SE Hatch and a Fiesta SE Hatch. The fiesta was $380 a year and the Accent was $680 a year. my agent was even shocked. I told him the only real difference was the Fiesta is a top IIHS safety pick but the Accent did not do well in the side impact test. I am picking my Fiesta up tomorrow. I love this site.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Congrats on your new car to start the new year! I like a lot about the Fiesta but the rear seat is too tight for my needs. I am disappointed about the Accent's relatively poor showing in the IIHS tests. I was leaning to the Accent SE hatch with 6MT as the top choice for my next car, as it has everything I need for a reasonable price. But now I'll be focusing (no pun intended) on cars with better crash protection such as the Focus SE hatch, Mazda3 Skyactiv hatch, and Impreza Premium hatch. Maybe the Elantra GLS 6MT also, but I prefer a hatch. Another route I might take is get a low-mileage used car with a certified warranty, which would cost even less than a new Accent SE... something like a Golf 5MT 4-door perhaps.

But I am hoping Hyundai improves the crash safety of the Accent before I buy in mid-2013. I have seen them make running changes to cars for better crash safety before, e.g. the mods they did on the 2010 Elantra in late 2009 to improve side crash safety. Hopefully Hyundai won't wait that long (3+ years into the model run) to improve the Accent.