Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    You raise an interesting point re the Micra. I have been wondering why Honda has waited so long to bring the Fit/Jazz over here. Could it be that they know it would have no chance of doing well in the IIHS side impact crash test, so they are waiting until a new design is available to ship it to the U.S.?
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    I just bought my aveo 2004 with 5-speed and a/c and nothing else. I had mulled over buying either a accent, rio, or aveo and after a year the car that won my heart was the aveo. It was the last 2004 on the lot so I got a good price on it.
    I have check the mileage around town and I am getting 28.7-29.5, and I just drove it on a long trip and got 38.2mpg on the hiway. Yes, I have had many small cars and I know how to figure mileage. I was quite suprised by the hiway mileage and I was expecting 34-35mpg. I drove between 60-65mph. From Plano Tx. to Athens Tx. around to various family member homes in the area and back. Has anyone else got this kinda mileage on the hiway and what do the automatics get. I have a friend how wants one but cant drive a stick.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Got just under 35mpg on a trip from LA to Mammoth and back with the automatic. Wish we had a 5spd...
    That doesnt seem like bad mileage on the automatic...how many miles have you got on it?
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    5700 miles so far.

Good highway mileage aside, while sitting in 2 hours of traffic each day, this car gets 22-24mpg. I think that when driven normally, we get the posted mileage.
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    and the IIHS side crash tests, does anyone know if "any" type of vehicle has scored "good" in this test? Has any vehicle scored "good" without side impact air bags? It sounds like the auto industry across the board needs to improve the side impact problem.
  • I think they're just trying to get people to buy SUVs. They seem to charge more for insurance on SUVs you see ;)
    Yes, two small cars--Corolla and Cobalt--scored "good" on the IIHS side test, and several other larger cars have scored "good". As for scoring "good" without side air bags, I don't know but it's unlikely, since the side bags keep the dummies' heads from hitting the pillars and going outside the windows. The test does highlight the need for the auto industry to improve side impact protection. But consider that very few of the cars side-crash-tested by the IIHS were designed before that test was designed--it's a recent addition to the IIHS tests. So we need to give the automakers some time to adjust. In the case of the Cobalt, it appears they did just that. It and the Corolla prove it is possible to design good crash protection into a small car.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    from the Cobalt. It only gets me to wondering how the report will be on the new 2006 Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio. The Cobalt did well, notice that cost, though. $14,300 or something like that, for the low-end model. I wonder what you'll be able to snag an '06 Accent for, much less, I'll go ahead and surmise on that one.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    Thanks for both replies. I didn't realize that these two cars did good. To be clear, both cars did have side air bags, right? Thanks again!
  • ericf1ericf1 Posts: 54
    Cobalt and Corolla scored "acceptable" not "good" on side impact ratings, and only with the optional side curtain bags. All the others sub-compacts scored "poor".

I can get a low-end Cobalt Coupe auto for ~$14.5k and am seriously considering it.
    Check that rear seat first--it's ok if you put munchikins back there.
  • lostlost Posts: 64
    You can get the loaded Focus ZX4 SES for 14,500 and that is with auto transmission AND get a free computer.
    Or how about the ZX3 (compared to a Cobalt coupe)--more headroom in the rear, probably costs less than the 4-door, more sporty, and still the free computer? Now that Ford had improved the crash performance for the ZX3 (the rear seat used to be terrible) it can be a good buy.
    That reminds me... I heard an ad the other day for an ION 1, $89/month lease, $0 down. It even had A/C I think. The ION is not a great car, but for $89 for a new car is pretty darn cheap. Hard to drive a new car for less money out of pocket these days.
    Where are they getting these car prices......not in Dallas that is for sure...lol
  • Focus is a dated design by now. We should compare new euro Focus(Mazda3) to Cobalt. I haven't driven Cobalt yet but wasn't too impressed by the Focus last fall - liked Elantra better
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    So if a Cobalt sold for $1,000 less than a Civic or a Corolla, would you buy it? Which one actually cost less?

Loren
    Sure, the Focus is a dated design but it still has one of the best combinations of ride and handling around. The Elantra is a dated design too--not much newer than the Focus. The Elantra had held up pretty well, but it's been eclipsed by the Mazda3. At least the Elantra will be redesigned before the U.S.-spec Focus will be.

The Cobalt drives pretty nice IMO, and has perhaps the best ride in the class. But I'd take an Elantra over the Cobalt too, for things like a usable rear seat, driver's comfort, and of course the price/features equation.