Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Pre-release vehicles don't usually have window stickers with pricing.

There was incredible interest in the spy photos for the '07 Elantra. Maybe because Hyundai did such a good job of shielding the car from the public eye, and decent spy photos emerged only shortly before the car's formal introduction. Honda is perhaps best at hiding cars until they are introduced. They kept the North American Fit watchers guessing for a long time, even though the car has been around awhile elsewhere. The Rabbit's looks were no mystery, since the design has been available in Europe for a long time.

Ok, let's not talk about the Rabbit then. How about that new-for-'07 Aveo sedan? Talk about generating a lot of interest. Not.
  • randydriverrandydriver Posts: 262
    oh I quite like the new sedan....
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Does every VW enthusiast (as of late) I meet now drive a non-VW car? ;)

Seriously though, magazines do early reviews on just about every new model, or what can be fitted into their time schedule, and what's available for them. Poor perception/bias on your part because Hyundai's new lineup has generated a lot of interests and buzz.

Oh by the way, Golf doesn't come in the form of a sedan so in essence it doesn't exactly fall into this discussion called "Low End Sedans"
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    I would think that you of all people would be interested in the new Aveo. After all, it is a cheap Korean made car with a history of poor quality. The only difference is that it will be readily available and sell in large quantities at every Chevrolet dealer in the country, including the ones in Gopher land. Seriously, if they had a 100,000 mile warranty (not much of a gamble for them here since most cars now need little in the way of major repairs between 36000 and 100000 miles anyway, especially if they put in all the Hyundai exclusions) and a few spokespersons like yourself, it would be lights out for the competition.
    "I would think that you of all people would be interested in the new Aveo."

Bad stereotyping. You are assuming people who like Hyundai like Daewoo and are all Koreans. And, let's move away from the igorance.

Let's have this on record, I am not Korean ;) With that said, I like small cars like the Aveo; one thing I am afraid with the upcoming 07 Chevy/Daewoo Aveo is its safety results. 1 1/2 star in the Euro NACP, I just hope it'd better when tests are performed here.

As for the warranty item you brought up, warranty costs for Hyundai are way down, contributed mainly by the fact cars built out of the factory floor are better, in every shape or form, including quality and reliablity. Unforuantely, Daewoos are still not up to par with Hyundai, but they have gotten a lot better.
    Why would anyone assume that someone who likes Korean cars is Korean. Would you assume that anyone who likes Honda or Toyota is Japanese? I don't understand what you mean by "cars built out of the factory floor". How is the Hyundai manufacturing process different from any other car manufacturer. By the way, ignorance is spelled with an "n".
    "I would think that you of all people would be interested in the new Aveo. After all, it is a cheap Korean made car with a history of poor quality."

So your logic being Backy and others would be interested in the new Aveo [because] "it is a cheap Korean made car with a hisotry of poor quality". Correct me if I am mistaken by your logic.

What do I mean by Hyundai cars from the factory floor are build better? Well, in terms of lower warranty costs, a direct correlation can be drawn for better build qualities and fewer reliability problems [than in the past]. This is supported by the vast improvement Hyundai has achieved, espeically in the areas of quality and reliability.

And lastly, I typed too fast - forgive me for not doing a spell check :)
    As late as the 2002 Model year, Consumer Reports shows the Accent has transmission problems much worse than average and worse than average problems in the areas of the drive system, fuel, ignition, and paint/trim. Contrast that with the Echo, Corolla, and Civic which are much above average in all areas and you will see why the resale on the Accent is so low, and why Hyundai really had no choice but to offer the 100,000 mile warranty (60,000 to second owner) to try to remain competitive.
    In the same sense, the 10/100K warranty program - one reason Hyundai USA is on the map (but mostly still because Hyundai bulids quality cars now). Sales have grown some 450% or more since the new/bold warranty program started in '98. This year, half a million units are well within reach for the US market.

Every generation of Accent has improved vastly, as far as I can recall. The 06/7 MY is no exception - on par/better vs. its competitors. The hatchback version, especially the SE trim, has generated a lot of interests.

Corolla and Civic doesn't compete with Accent; Echo has been discontiuned.
  • Everyone knows in the forum board that Hyundai as a company only started in the year 2006. Hyundai never produced cars prior to that.
  • "sedan refers to a fixed-roof car with at least four doors or any fixed-roof two-door car with at least 33 cubic feet of rear interior volume, according to measurements based on SAE standard J11OO"
    It's a cloud definition, for the most part, because by requirement, a RX-8 can be considered a sedan.

Personally, I view anything with a lifgate as a hatchback, whether being two-door, or four-door.
  • As much as I'm glad about what you think "personally," this forum is entitled under 16K sedans and as such will contain discussions about any "sedan" under 16K.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I'm not interested in the Aveo because when I drove it last I didn't like it nearly as well as competitors like the Fit and Accent (or Yaris or Rio for that matter). But maybe the '07 will be improved enough for consideration. However, I don't see a reason to take a chance on what is essentially a Daewoo with a Chevy-style warranty (meaning short), when there are several other solid choices in this class to choose from.

Why do you refer to me as a "spokesperson"? A spokesperson of what? Does the fact that I have owned Hyundais and have said some positive things about them (also many negative things) make me a spokesperson for them? If so, then I guess I am a spokesperson for Hyundai. Also for Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Ford/Mercury, Dodge, Chevy, Mitsubishi, and Nissan.
  • I'm curious. Please post what negative things you have said about Hyundai. And provide links to the post #.

A cursory search of every post you have made dating back to October 2005 yields not a single "negative" post.
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    You are right about the 5 speed manual Yaris. I own a hatchback with a 5 speed manual and have seen several base model sedans in the Memphis area (38118) with manual transmissions. What is your zip code?

This question should actually be directed to inharmsway since he is the one looking for a base Yaris sedan with a manual transmission, not me.

In fact I am not even considering the Yaris or the Fit for one very important reason (to me, at least): a power sunroof is not available in either car.
  • ross14ross14 Posts: 36
    Apparently, South Korea prefers the East Coast, (Before the Midwest?), since we finally got the 2007 Accent hatchback in Queens, NYC. The driver's seat is flawless in support, & the rear seating is spacious. The sticker price (GS):$10495 m.t. Add AC & radio pkg.(1350), & dest. & sticker final cost was $13395. For the "SE": $14915 ( includes AT ) + delivery= $15580. Both cars looked ready to challenge the competition.
  • ross14ross14 Posts: 36
    Obviously, every car is built by humans. Someone designs the assembly processes, the robots, etc. The reality check for these humans is "Consumer Reports", & J.D.POwers. Talk all you want. The cars in "RED" are well made, & the cars that get "Black", for years (Decades), SUCK.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    My zip code is 95662. But right now I am leaning more towards a 2006/07 hyundai accent.
    I went to the Toyota website, used your zip code, and was able to build a car in a hatchback with 5 speed manual transmission with any features I wanted. Several local dealers claimed to have the sedan in stock, although I was not able to come up with a hatchback.