Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731

Edmunds Straightline Blog has more info.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I would be surprised if they keep the Aveo name. They should call it the Corsa. Corsa even sounds like a Chevy... Aveo doesn't. Corsa is used in most other countries.
    I'd pass on that name... it is too reminiscent of something...

:)
    You know, I didn't even think of the Corsica. To me, Corsa conjures up a sporty, fun image. Maybe GM is afraid it is too close to Corsica. Which btw was a really dumb name for a car, IMO.
    Next, perhaps the Subaru Sicily. The Range Rover Roma? Toyota Tuscany... that doesn't sound too bad - but perhaps like a dish at Olive Garden and not a subcompact.

Sheesh, sorry for the rambles. I'm cranked up today. :)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    When will this car be out? Was at the Hyundai store late last month to get some body work done on the kids Accent...roommate hit her while backing out of the garage...1208.00 and we're good as new. Hopefully they've tweaked the car a bit looks wise. They even tweaked the Versa SL hatch and it looks great.
    Even though I won't be in the market for awhile, I'm quite curious to see the new Civic and how it looks inside and out. Still love the car and trying to get the wife to consider one inn 2011.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

There's talk of a new 2011 model, which I wouldn't expect to see before late 2010 since the Accent was last redesigned in late 2005. If you search on "2011 Hyundai Accent" you can find a number of articles and pics; here's an example:

http://www.autospies.com/news/2011-Hyundai-Accent-Sedan-Spotted-Baby-Genesis-in-- Utero-all-Camo-ed-up-48407/

Note the family resemblance to the 2011 Sonata and the upcoming Elantra. The part about 140 hp with no sacrifice in FE sounds really enticing--although personally I'd rather have more like 120 hp with 40 mpg. I hope the structure on the new Accent is a lot better than on the current car. We'll probably see standard ESC on this new Accent too, since it will be mandatory by 2012.
  • I just bought a used subaru legacy L with 136k miles, Next car I buy will most likely be the GT variety, I love the car.

It handles like it is on rails, granted the suspension is slightly more stiff than my old car this one is great in the snow!
  • echothatechothat Posts: 8
    Aveo is Korean, isn't it? Seems like Daewoo...
    edited May 2011
    Aveo is from Korea yes. Not one of the ROK's better efforts though.
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Posts: 65
    With Toyota and Honda I call it "less expensive", with Chrysler, Ford, GM, Kia/Hyundai, I call it "low end." No matter what you read about these new "low cost to buy" cars, it still pans out the same at 60-90,000 miles. The Toyota's, Honda's, Subaru's, and even the Suzuki's made by Suzuki (not a rebadged Daewoo), are still going strong...I had a Neon and Focus new off the lot, My Corolla saw them pull into the driveway, and saw them die there...and that Corolla is still going. I cannot believe the way the motor on that car still sounds today. It is unreal. the Focus is what made me say, "I will never let another American (big 3) car in this family again. Have your own opinion, but the Japanese companies (albeit, I'd rather them be made there than here to keep the quality high) are the way to go.
    Since you provided your personal experience, I'll provide mine:

2001 Elantra GLS, purchased new in October 2000, sold to my sister five years ago. Still going strong, about 80k miles, no major work except regular maintenance and a clutch replacement after my wife and son worked together to destroy it six years ago.

2004 Elantra GT, purchased new in March 2004, 61k miles, still drives like new (60k service increased the mpg about 10%, gets 37 mpg on the highway now). No major work except regular maintenance; replaced rear brakes at 45k, fronts still have 70% left.

2007 Sonata GLS, purchased used in November 2009, 51k miles, still looks and drives great. Still under factory warranty. Had to replace the driver's recliner switch (warranty), that's about it except regular maintenance.

I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans (leasing a Sentra now, nice car) and they were all pretty reliable, but no more so than the 3 Korean cars I've owned.

In short... it's 2011 now, not the '80s and '90s anymore. Different world out there.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited May 2011
    Aveo is Korean, isn't it? Seems like Daewoo...

The Chevrolet Aveo is really a re-badged Daewoo Kalos, it's Daewoo-designed, just warmed over by Chevrolet for their customers' consumption. GM bought Daewoo round about 2000 and made a company to be plopped in South Korea called GM Daewoo Auto and Technology Company.

This was one of the halo cars produced by that "marriage" of companies. But it's a GM-run Company, make no fidgety mistakes here.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    I had a friend buy a Hiyonday in 1993. It was an utter piece of junk. It was in for warrranty work like every month! Whne I bought my 2001 ECHO I looked at one. It was a total piece of crap. I could not BELIEVE a manufacturer would sell something like that. Better to wait until they could make something competitive. 10 year warranty? I was pretty that was a trap to lure the unwary.

I have looked at them recently and they are better. I would not say they are made a like a Tyota. But they arent radiactive!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited May 2011
    I herd therwe's this ting on the compoooter kawled speilberg chek. Chek in too cash.

Bash.

Burp. :D

Hiyonday?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Youve obviously never been to TX where they have Tieotuz.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Now that's funny! And if I remember correctly, it's pronounce TY-otuz, emphasis on the Ty.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• barkydogbarkydog Posts: 45
    I can remember the old joke about a proposed joint venture between Toyota and Chevy to manufacture and rename the Chevette.

It was to be called the Toylette.

So now we have the actuality of an American Version of a DaEwOo.

It's called the AVEO. And it's a pretty good car. :)
    "Pretty good car" as in quite possibly the worst car currently offered by anyone in the USA (now that Chrysler has upgraded its lineup)?

The Aveo was no better than passable when it debuted years ago. Now it's hopelessly outclassed by every other car in its class. I've had to suffer through a few Aveo rentals. They brought new meaning to the term "penalty box". These days, I physically recoil when I see a Yaris waiting for me at the rental car lot. I always try to get out of it (easier since I asked Hertz to put "No Yaris!" in my profile). But the Aveo is worse. Much worse.
    A friend bought an aveo and only had it four years before getting rid of it. They had a lot of trouble with it.

I found out my two year old Yaris is worth MORE than what I paid for it. First car I ever had that did that...